Options

*** Voodoo Fest Fanviews Here 11/01/13 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,919
edited January 2014 in Given To Fly (live)
Pearl Jam
Voodoo Fest
New Orleans, LA
Nov 1, 2013
Set List

(Steve Gleason introduces the band)
01. Sirens-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
02. In My Tree
03. Save You
04. Corduroy
05. Animal
06. Lightning Bolt-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
07. Mind Your Manners-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
(Ed greets the audience and comments on how nice it is to play a festival with perfect weather. He compliments the crowd along the barricade about how well they are behaving. He says to one person, “I really like your energy and your jumping around but could you give your giant back pack to a security guard up front? You are banging into these two women behind you and I can’t take it.” Ed asks the audience if any of them have been arrested before? A pretty good roar comes back. “Wow, really? we are playing for a bunch of criminals. Like in Australia. Me too, I have been arrested. Okay everybody who has been arrested put your hands up. Now how many have been arrested in New Orleans? I’m keeping my hand up.” Ed also gives out most of a phone number of a person who will bail them out. “It is Macklemore’s number and if he can’t afford your entire bail he will give you ten bucks for some Grandpa’s shoes.” He than thanks and compliments Macklemore and Ryan Lewis as brothers from Seattle and dedicates the next song to them.)
08. Given To Fly
(“The next song is about intolerance. That is one thing we can’t tolerate, intolerance. This song is about religious intolerance. It is called ‘Getaway’”)
09. Getaway-(from the new album “Lightning Bolt”)
10. Even Flow
11. Present Tense
(Ed jokes that the next song is about all the marijuana overdoses since it was legalized in Washington State.)
12. Severed Hand
13. Daughter/Another Brick In The Wall Part II-(Waters)
14. Jeremy
(Ed thanks Steve Gleason and his family for being good friends and inspirations to the band. He dedicates the next song to them.)
15. Inside Job
16. State Of Love And Trust
17. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1
(Ed greets the crowd and says he has some wine left. “We know we are just preparing the stage for Nine Inch Nails and we would like to toast Trent Reznor and his band mates.” Ed also talks about the gulf disaster and The Gulf Restoration Network who are trying to help clean up the oil spill and get people the truth about all the advertising and misinformation a company whom Ed won’t name but he will give out their initials, BP, After tropical storm Karen more tar balls were discovered and it is clear that not is well in the gulf.
“Steve Gleason made up this set list and I was really very excited to sing this one.”)
18. Chloe Dancer/Crown Of Thorns
19. Do The Evolution
(Ed checks with the audience and security to make sure everyone is okay. He spots some people dressed up in furry costumes. He asks if they need any ventilation and then comments, “I read about something like this on a Sonic Youth record. Something about how people can’t get sexually excited unless they are dressed up like that. Is that you? I knew I would never see anything like this until I got to New Orleans. Okay, I am in room 518 at the Hudson Arms or whatever it is. I will bring my teddy bear.”)
20. Go
21. Black
22. Alive
23. Rockin’ In The Free World-(Young)
(For “Rockin’” a person in a bunny outfit and another with a unicorn mask are onstage. Presumably the people Ed was talking to before “Go”)
24. Yellow Ledbetter
(Mike stands in front of Steve Gleason while he plays the solo at the end of “Yellow”)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you! :)
Post edited by Kat on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

love was all around at this show..amazing!!!!

thanks Sea
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,909
    Great set list.....I wonder if they had to cross anything off due to curfew!?

If that was Melbournes BDO set I'd be pretty happy! Immortality would be the icing on the cake ;)
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    It felt a lot longer than 2 hours and 24 songs. They were playing their balls off
  • Options
    a few were scratched off the list, hail hail, alone....
  • Options
    brainofebrainofe Posts: 263
    Awesome show!! I'm glad they let a fan come up with the setlist; it was the ultimate festival set list. I'm glad it was non-stop rocking, the crowd was really into it. Finally heard in my tree and they play favorite of the new songs, getaway.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    For the band to be introduced by Steve Gleason... Man... That was just tops... And for Steve to choose the playlist... Just gravy! Loved the set, loved the show... Lots of good vibes in the audience! State of Love And Trust was the high water mark for me!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    The awesome feeling of the post concert high, and then coming here and reading dimi's setlist thread, living it all over again and seeing people's reactions is just too much!! WHAT A FKING NIGHT!!! I'm so thankful that they played in my home town this tour, and even though I was disappointed in the beginning that we were "only" getting a festival, I am just so so so so so so so happy that I was able to go tonight!!!!!!!!!!! such a great show.
    Weather was perfect. Crowd was great, not too crowded and although I didn't get up as close as I wanted, I was around some great people and we rocked it like we were on the rail.

Steve Gleason intro- I almost started crying. Just fantastic. The fact that he feels what we all feel for this band and that he gets to experience them in such a great way is overwhelming. It makes me feel like we really are just one big, happy, somewhat dysfunctional family and how can we ever be lost in the world as long as we have our family, especially brothers like Steve Gleason and our boys?!

Highlights- CHLOE DANCERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR The people around me were all quiet and didn't know this song. I was singing and jamming and by the end so were they. Great, great, great to see this played in NOLA. I love me a state of love and trust as well as given to fly, and oh, i don't know every. single. song. they played. Just a great night. They sounded fabulous, and seemed to really have happy, positive vibe on stage. Jeff was grinning the entire night and really interacting with MIke. And the crowd couldn't tell Eddie was making a "big deal" of introducing Jeff! I just was happy that I heard Jeff's name and that he wasn't forgotten:) Mike jumped down at one point and ran up and down the rail (Eddie did also). Eddie interacting with two different signers was fabulous. The dude in the rabbit suit and unicorn head was reallly weird, but hilarious. Just a great night.

Someone post some more coherent reviews so i can read them and relive it again!

HERE'S TO LEG ONE!!!
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    A fan made the set list ?!!!??!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:

Not just any fan. An inspiration to the band, the city, and anyone with a pulse.

And btw, congrats on the new addition.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,154
    BrainofBGA wrote:
    Great set list.....I wonder if they had to cross anything off due to curfew!?

If that was Melbournes BDO set I'd be pretty happy! Immortality would be the icing on the cake ;)
    Yeah..hail hail.arms aloft..alone .love reign
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Just seen some YouTube footage. There was a lady signing all the songs at the front. Thought that was cool.
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    mcgruff10 wrote:

Not just any fan. An inspiration to the band, the city, and anyone with a pulse.

Thanks bud! Baby and wife are both healthy.

Who is the fan?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:
    mcgruff10 wrote:

Thanks bud! Baby and wife are both healthy.

Who is the fan?

Steve Gleason. Look him up if you're not familiar.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:

this has occured before
  • Options
    tcadd94tcadd94 North Jersey Posts: 611
    It just keeps getting better! PJ is killing it this tour. Leaving everything they have on the stage. :D
    I've been fortunate enough to see Pearl Jam live.

I am hanging in the balance of a perfect finished plan
    Like every sparrow falling, like every grain of sand.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:

this has occured before

One of gorge shows is a fan set I think
    Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    What a memorable night for the band! I really do hope that PJ understands the fans admire them as people first based on their personalities and other obvious significant contributions and accomplishments. Such a rare and captivating group of guys. Great respect.

Gleason intro! In My Tree, Save You, Animal, Even Flow, Severed Hand, ANOTHER BRICK, INSIDE JOB, SOLAT, Rearview, Chloe/Crown - All the LB songs live are bad ass - although I didn't hear Getaway.

Another sweet boot! Extremely insane 1st leg!!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:

this has occured before

Happy up here in my tree
  • Options
    mcrokmcrok Posts: 628
    Great job with that set Gleason....they should have let u write the music midtown set too:)
    96 - Ft Lauderdale
    98 - ATL; WPB I & II
    00 - WPB I & II
    03 - Boston I; Detroit I & II
    04 - Boston VFC I & II
    05 - Borgata II
    08 - WPB; NY MSG I & II
    10 - CLE
    12 - Music Midtown; EV Jax II; EV Orlando I&II
    13 - BWI; CVille; CLT
    14 - Memphis
    16 - Jax; Gville; Cola; Fenway II
  • Options
    We knew going in that PJ wouldn't play longer than 2 hours, damned festival rules, and we've been spoiled by the marathon shows they've been doing this tour. Reading the setlist later, I'm disappointed they didn't get to play a bunch of songs that would've been great to hear, Hail Hail & Love Reign in particular.

Anyways, apart from that, helluva job with all the recognition for Steve Gleason, truly an inspiration for the band and everyone, what a fighter that man is.

Good energy from the crowd, considering it wasn't a PJ-only concert. The band kept the fans engaged and the crowd responded too. For the wife and me, this caps off our four-gig PJ tour of the year, and we'll be at the shows vicariously with y'all from here on out!
    And no one's gonna slow my gentle groove.. - https://twitter.com/Mr_Faded_Glory
  • Options
    Great setlist Gleason and it sounds like great energy at the show. So long Leg 1. Here comes Leg 2! :D

Thanks Sea for posting.
    To and fro the pendulum throws

"Don't Worry, Be Happy." Avatar Meher Baba

7/12/11 - EV Oakland 2, 10/22/11 - EV Bridge School
    9/25/11 Vancouver, 11/26/13 - Oakland, 11/7/15 - Buenos Aires
  • Options
    I'll second that this was an absolutely amazing show. I live in New Orleans, so have the band play my city was exciting enough. Steve introducing the band and writing the setlist was just great. He picked some great songs, so we didn't just get a festival setlist. I wish it could've gone on all night, but it was amazing!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 wrote:

this has occured before

Don't forget about Amsterdam 2 2012! Great set list from a fan.
  • Options
    For those who may not know Steve Gleason's story and relationship with the band, go to youtube and search for the clip of him interviewing the band, Eddie in particular. I first saw it on ESPN. He brings Ed to tears with one of his questions.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    teddy bear?? :shock:
  • Options
    Didn't have any pics uploaded when I posted my review, but here is a link if you want to check em out!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 8acaa7e859

Peace
    Love
    Pearl Jam
    "Sun sets on this ocean- never once on my devotion."

"If I had this guy's voice, you could all kiss my ass."
  • Options
    PJArtistPJArtist New Orleans Posts: 542
    Funny moments during Pearl Jam at Voodoo Fest

DSC03958.jpg

Eddie poking fun with sign language girl

DSC03999.jpg

5eac320b-5c0e-4da5-94f7-84060f81cdf9.jpg

Eddie into the Wild
    New Orleans 00/Seattle 02/New Orleans, Houston, Dallas 03/
    Kissimmee 04/Montreal 05/Chicago 06/Gorge 06/Leeds 06/London 07/Lollapalooza 07/EV Chicago 08/EV Santa Barbara 08/Bonnaroo 08/EV @ McCartney NY 09/EV Atlanta 09/Spectrum 09 (4 shows)/Jazz Fest '10/Voices for Justice (EV) 10/Columbus 10/Noblesville 10/EV Sydney, Melbourne 11/EV Philadelphia, Detroit 11/Alpine weekend/Toronto 11 (2 shows)/Made in America 2012/Deluna Fest 2012/Missoula 2012/Brooklyn, Philadelphia, Dallas, OKC, Portland, Spokane, Vancouver, Seattle 2013/Global Citizen/Florida 16/MSG 16/Wrigley 16
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    PJArtist wrote:
    Funny moments during Pearl Jam at Voodoo Fest

DSC03958.jpg

Eddie poking fun with sign language girl

DSC03999.jpg

5eac320b-5c0e-4da5-94f7-84060f81cdf9.jpg

Eddie into the Wild

I meet those kids as I was leaving. Your pictures turned out fantastic. What a great show!
  • Options
    PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    Just got back from Voodoo Fest. Really fun weekend. Super cool to see Nine Inch Nails. Saw a funny band called Quintron and Miss Pussycat. Accidentally saw Kid Rock while waiting for The Cure. And obviously it was very awesome to see Pearl Jam.

Seeing Steve Gleason introduce the band was very moving. Set the tone for what turned out to be, well for me anyways, a really spiritual night. Inside Job, whoa.

I was standing next to the furry guys. When security came over to bring them backstage, they both must have thought they were in trouble because they waved security off a few times. It was cute to see their reaction once they realized they were being called to the stage.

Here are some pictures.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dqfsu/sets ... 332941766/
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    anyone able to grab a couple of the stickers at New Orleans?

loads from the tour to trade