Options

Pearl Jam on World Series

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,407
    Kurto26 wrote:
    All this pub, and Lightning Bolt sold 166,000 copies its first week, compared to Target Presents Backspacer selling 189,000. I'm not even sure which campaign reached more people. Maybe week 2, with McCready on GMA and the World Series stuff will be strong.

Comparing album sales in 2009 with album sales in 2013 is like comparing apples in 2009 with oranges in 2013... or something like that.

On a different note, people should understand that Fox News and Fox's entertainment and sports divisions are not run by the same people. Fox's entertainment and sports divisions have no political agenda. "The Simpsons" has been making fun of Fox for 25 years, and Fox never censors it. "Family Guy" would make the average Fox News viewer apoplectic, but Fox happily airs it.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    rvapetervapete Posts: 488
    BF25394 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Although I don't know why they won't use songs from Riot Act. It's not like they're playing the whole songs

I didn't read that press release the way everyone else seems to have read it. I think they picked the songs they want, and it so happens that none of them are on "Riot Act." I don't think they said, "We don't want anything from 'Riot Act' because it's politically charged."

That's exactly what they said

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/pear ... ies-101913
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:
    rvapete wrote:
    Just throw Pearl Jam on the Fox payroll with Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. Have never seen such an over-publicized PJ record since the days of Eddie despising publicity. It's an amazing album but this has gotten ridiculously over the top and is border-lining on force feeding. No surprise on Fox picking "Given to Fly" but don't see "Satan's Bed", "Save You" or "Bushleaguer" in the Cards (or Sox) any time soon.

Over the top? You can barely hear the songs over Joe Buck's voice as they go to commercial, and they don't even identify them as Pearl Jam.

Having said that, baseball and Pearl Jam are arguably my two favorite things, and I don't mind the instrumental outros at the end of innings, but the montages with lyrics just do not work at all. The one with "Sirens" made no sense. The lyrics just do not fit the occasion.

Nor do the lyrics fit Fox Broadcasting's agenda. This is censor-shiped PJ.
  • Options
    rvapete wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:
    igotid88 wrote:
    Although I don't know why they won't use songs from Riot Act. It's not like they're playing the whole songs

I didn't read that press release the way everyone else seems to have read it. I think they picked the songs they want, and it so happens that none of them are on "Riot Act." I don't think they said, "We don't want anything from 'Riot Act' because it's politically charged."

That's exactly what they said

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/pear ... ies-101913

Who is the "they" you are referring to? Those are the words of the reporter, not the words of the Fox press release.
  • Options
    rvapete wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:
    rvapete wrote:
    Just throw Pearl Jam on the Fox payroll with Bill O'Reilly and Sean Hannity. Have never seen such an over-publicized PJ record since the days of Eddie despising publicity. It's an amazing album but this has gotten ridiculously over the top and is border-lining on force feeding. No surprise on Fox picking "Given to Fly" but don't see "Satan's Bed", "Save You" or "Bushleaguer" in the Cards (or Sox) any time soon.

Over the top? You can barely hear the songs over Joe Buck's voice as they go to commercial, and they don't even identify them as Pearl Jam.

Having said that, baseball and Pearl Jam are arguably my two favorite things, and I don't mind the instrumental outros at the end of innings, but the montages with lyrics just do not work at all. The one with "Sirens" made no sense. The lyrics just do not fit the occasion.

Nor do the lyrics fit Fox Broadcasting's agenda. This is censor-shiped PJ.

Are you confusing the Fox broadcast network with Fox News? What is "Fox Broadcasting's agenda"? Fox News has a political agenda that drives its programming. The Fox broadcast network is an entertainment network that features multiple shows created by the very liberal Seth MacFarlane and is not pushing the Fox News political agenda. And the World Series is a production of Fox Sports, which is even further removed from these kind of content considerations.

Pearl Jam licensing its music for use on Fox's broadcasts of the World Series is as far removed from Rupert Murdoch's politics as Pearl Jam's appearance on NBC's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" is removed from the evil ways of NBC's corporate overlord Comcast.
  • Options
    I was at the game last night @ Fenway. Lots of PJ being played in between innings in the park.
  • Options
    Who is the "they" you are referring to? Those are the words of the reporter, not the words of the Fox press release.[/quote]

This is a press release hence the author being Fox Sports.
  • Options
    Are you confusing the Fox broadcast network with Fox News? What is "Fox Broadcasting's agenda"? Fox News has a political agenda that drives its programming. The Fox broadcast network is an entertainment network that features multiple shows created by the very liberal Seth MacFarlane and is not pushing the Fox News political agenda. And the World Series is a production of Fox Sports, which is even further removed from these kind of content considerations.

Pearl Jam licensing its music for use on Fox's broadcasts of the World Series is as far removed from Rupert Murdoch's politics as Pearl Jam's appearance on NBC's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" is removed from the evil ways of NBC's corporate overlord Comcast.[/quote]

It is all most definitely the same. The people who own and set the agenda for Fox Network are the same for Fox News, Fox Sports all the entities. Some television is calculated to enable more acceptance of subliminally messaged programing. It's called a smokescreen.
  • Options
    rvapete wrote:

Pearl Jam licensing its music for use on Fox's broadcasts of the World Series is as far removed from Rupert Murdoch's politics as Pearl Jam's appearance on NBC's "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" is removed from the evil ways of NBC's corporate overlord Comcast.

It is all most definitely the same. The people who own and set the agenda for Fox Network are the same for Fox News, Fox Sports all the entities. Some television is calculated to enable more acceptance of subliminally messaged programing. It's called a smokescreen.[/quote]

NBC has the same initiative to tap into the albumn release. Just because it is an alternative prerogative doesn't mean it isn't the same influence-minded tactic.
  • Options
    It is all most definitely the same. The people who own and set the agenda for Fox Network are the same for Fox News, Fox Sports all the entities. Some television is calculated to enable more acceptance of subliminally messaged programing. It's called a smokescreen.

I should know better than to argue with a conspiracy theorist, but you're just wrong and you have no idea how the television industry works. Fox doesn't even produce all of the content on its primetime schedule. You think Seth MacFarlane's unabashed liberalism is a smokescreen for subliminal messages about Rupert Murdoch's conservative agenda? You think "The Simpsons" running a gag that said "Fox News: Not Racist, But #1 With Racists" is actually subliminally pro-Fox News? Fox News is a cable network that can achieve success by narrowcasting; the Fox network is trying to reach the broadest possible audience.
  • Options
    KM78948KM78948 Posts: 107
    they should play pendulum before SSB before every game.
    '98 - washington, dc (tfc) & columbia, md
    '00 - columbia, md
    '03 - bristow, va & hershey, pa
    '06 - washington, dc
    '08 - washington, dc
    '09 - philadelphia, pa (halloween)
    '10 - bristow, va
    '13 - baltimore, md & charlottesville, va
    '15 - new york, ny (gcf)
  • Options
    BF25394 wrote:

I should know better than to argue with a conspiracy theorist, but you're just wrong and you have no idea how the television industry works. Fox doesn't even produce all of the content on its primetime schedule. You think Seth MacFarlane's unabashed liberalism is a smokescreen for subliminal messages about Rupert Murdoch's conservative agenda? You think "The Simpsons" running a gag that said "Fox News: Not Racist, But #1 With Racists" is actually subliminally pro-Fox News? Fox News is a cable network that can achieve success by narrowcasting; the Fox network is trying to reach the broadest possible audience.

Follow the money. Fox Broadcasting, Fox News, Fox Sports etc all fall under the same entity, Fox Entertainment Group. They happen to take a very pro-deregulation of federal media censorship (FCC) stance because like many things that should be a "family" decision. This is the solitary position I agree with of Fox Entertainment Group personally. Shows like the Simpsons and Family Guy have always been the ways (in media censorship) Fox has been able to push the envelope on a position they feel strongly about. Do I like the Simpsons and Family Guy? Yep great shows. Is it funny to see someone make fun of themselves? One of the major roots of successful comedy. They still fall under the same corporate umbrella and agenda, one I don't happen to personally agree with.
  • Options
    groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    Heard a bit of MYM during the Cowboys game. Then the Cowboys broke my heart. again!
  • Options
    And they just played some of MYM at the beginning of the second half of the Broncos/Redskins game.
  • Options
    I heard Dissident during the highlights leading to a commercial
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,450
    They played Getaway during the Giants game. And Let the Records Play during the Broncos game
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
    RVM
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    They played someone else at the end.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    igotid88 wrote:
    They played someone else at the end.

I know what the hell was that. I screamed this isn't pearl jam!
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    pureocpureoc Posts: 2,383
    Disappointing as I've loved the game montages to pj.
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98, Alpine Valley 10/8/00, Champaign 4/23/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Grand Rapids 10/3/04
    Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Milwaukee 6/29/06, Milwaukee 6/30/06, Lollapalooza 8/5/07
    Eddie Solo Milwaukee 8/19/08, Toronto 8/21/09, Chicago 8/23/09
    Chicago 8/24/09, Indianapolis 5/7/10, Ed Chicago 6/29/11, Alpine Valley 9/3/11 and 9/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Moline 10/18/14, Milwaukee 10/20/14
  • Options
    Four games in, I don't really get why either party bothered with this deal. From Pearl Jam's end, the music is so buried (end-of-game montages aside-- and the end-of-game montages air after the vast majority of the audience has tuned out or gone to sleep), and the specific call-outs of what it is so few and far between, that it's hard to imagine anyone hearing this and picking up the album as a result. I've done an admittedly unscientific survey of people who are watching the Series and, out of seven, none has betrayed any awareness of Pearl Jam being involved when I asked them, "What do you think about the music FOX is playing during the broadcasts?"

From FOX's end, if you want interstitial guitar music that Joe Buck is going to talk over as they go to break, why pay a premium for Pearl Jam? It's barely even audible. And why plug Pearl Jam as the exclusive soundtrack and then play another band's music for last night's montage? (There was also non-PJ music played during at least one of the segues to the inning break.)
  • Options
    mr.macmr.mac Posts: 162
    I blame Joe Buck. He ruins everything.
  • Options
    I think it's just about getting the name out there as much as possible. I think more people heard their music during the Giants/Eagles and Broncos/Redskins games. But they didn't say it was Pearl Jam during those games
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Might be good for PJ if it goes 7.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    BF25394 wrote:
    Four games in, I don't really get why either party bothered with this deal. From Pearl Jam's end, the music is so buried (end-of-game montages aside-- and the end-of-game montages air after the vast majority of the audience has tuned out or gone to sleep), and the specific call-outs of what it is so few and far between, that it's hard to imagine anyone hearing this and picking up the album as a result. I've done an admittedly unscientific survey of people who are watching the Series and, out of seven, none has betrayed any awareness of Pearl Jam being involved when I asked them, "What do you think about the music FOX is playing during the broadcasts?"

From FOX's end, if you want interstitial guitar music that Joe Buck is going to talk over as they go to break, why pay a premium for Pearl Jam? It's barely even audible. And why plug Pearl Jam as the exclusive soundtrack and then play another band's music for last night's montage? (There was also non-PJ music played during at least one of the segues to the inning break.)

Im sure for pj and mr. curtis' if they sell more records from this deal its just a bonus. They will get some serious loot from the Synch licenses alone... Its a win for pj on those alone. Now why fox would surly pay A LOT of money to obtain all of those synch's and not use them as much as possible, is beyond me. Although they can afford it.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    BF25394 wrote:

Im sure for pj and mr. curtis' if they sell more records from this deal its just a bonus. They will get some serious loot from the Synch licenses alone... Its a win for pj on those alone.

That's a good point.
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    this didn't bother me before, but its becoming a little uncomfortable.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    morgie2morgie2 Posts: 1,065
    Breath
    Boston II 94 Boston II 06 Mansfield I 08 Mansfield II 08 Seattle I 09 Seattle II 09
    Hartford 10 Boston 10 Wrigley 13 Worcester I 13 Worcester II 13 Hartford 13
    NYC I 16 NYC II 16 Fenway I 16 Fenway II 16  Fenway 1 18  Fenway II 18
    E.V. Boston II 08 E.V. Albany II 09 E.V. Providence 11, E.V. Boston 11
    Troubled Souls Unite
  • Options
    groovemegrooveme Posts: 353
    "Alive" a few minutes ago
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I just heard betterman on the radio.