*** Buffalo Fanviews Here 10/12/13 ***

Comments

• davidtriosdavidtrios Posts: 9,732
    Definately an emotional evening for me. I took my cousin, a Buffalo native to the show who lost his 28 year old twin brother earlier in the year to an OD. We stopped at the cemetary beforehand to pay our respects. I kept it together there but I broke down during "Sirens" at the show. RIP Arthur.
  • trustno1 wrote:

THIS! dude, seeing your enthusiasm made us happy, especially during present tense ... kudos!

the more i think about the show, the more i think it was really, really good. i think the new stuff live was great, and from where we were (116, row 21) we barely noticed any sound issues (aside from ed's audibles) and our crowd was so into it. great time!! :D

It all meant so much to me. I'm not sure if I was actually in the arena during Present Tense. It all seems so trite to talk about it on a forum, but it's the worst thing ever waking up every morning, knowing that I'm another day separated from that show. There was a span of a few years when I was first diagnosed with Crohn's Disease where I just didn't want to live through all the pain, and I started listening to Pearl Jam because I knew Mike had Crohn's too. Pearl Jam kept me going, and Saturday night was just a full-circle moment for me. If it wasn't for Pearl Jam's music and Kurt Vonnegut's books, I don't know if I would have found the courage to go through it all. Saturday was the happiest night of my life and now I have to go on pretending like every subsequent day can be good. I just hope I could convey to the band how much that show meant to me.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • staz17staz17 Posts: 88
    Amazing show! My first GA experience and my hours of waiting paid off. BIG TIME!

Sat first/second row right in front of Eddie. What an experience! I caught two of mike's picks and eddie threw his pick out before starting yellow moon and it landed right in my hand! What a night. I will never forget my 7th and favorite show!

Thanks PJ!
  • nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    staz17 wrote:
    Amazing show! My first GA experience and my hours of waiting paid off. BIG TIME!

Sat first/second row right in front of Eddie. What an experience! I caught two of mike's picks and eddie threw his pick out before starting yellow moon and it landed right in my hand! What a night. I will never forget my 7th and favorite show!

Thanks PJ!

You must have been right beside/near me! I had my 'Team McCready' shirt on.....
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
    Here are the pics my buddy took of the show:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjKNJqK8
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • staz17staz17 Posts: 88
    nevmiles wrote:
    staz17 wrote:

Thanks PJ!

You must have been right beside/near me! I had my 'Team McCready' shirt on.....

Yes I was - I do remember seeing your shirt! Hell of a show!!!
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    nevmiles wrote:
    Here are the pics my buddy took of the show:

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjKNJqK8

Excellent pics!

yeah about the tambo... he just pointed, looked at me.. and then signaled to have it back :)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • I may have missed it in the thread, but could someone please tell me what time they went on stage???
    I rid myself of worries, and the worries were gone.
    I only run when I want to and I sleep like a dog.
    Deadhorse wrote:
    I may have missed it in the thread, but could someone please tell me what time they went on stage???

8:20ish.

Same with Pittsburgh, so I would expect the same tonight.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    It all meant so much to me. I'm not sure if I was actually in the arena during Present Tense. It all seems so trite to talk about it on a forum, but it's the worst thing ever waking up every morning, knowing that I'm another day separated from that show. There was a span of a few years when I was first diagnosed with Crohn's Disease where I just didn't want to live through all the pain, and I started listening to Pearl Jam because I knew Mike had Crohn's too. Pearl Jam kept me going, and Saturday night was just a full-circle moment for me. If it wasn't for Pearl Jam's music and Kurt Vonnegut's books, I don't know if I would have found the courage to go through it all. Saturday was the happiest night of my life and now I have to go on pretending like every subsequent day can be good. I just hope I could convey to the band how much that show meant to me.

Let me say the look on your face every time it was on the screen was pure happiness. Anyone that saw it couldn't confuse it with anything else.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • still stoked over the Buffalo show!!!
    energy, set, crowd, overall venue; awesome!
    dig'n Lightning Bolt!! the boys just keep on rocking!!
    Viva La Vinyl!
  • nevmiles wrote:
    Deadhorse wrote:
    I may have missed it in the thread, but could someone please tell me what time they went on stage???

8:20ish.

Same with Pittsburgh, so I would expect the same tonight.

Awesome!
    Thank you!
    I rid myself of worries, and the worries were gone.
    I only run when I want to and I sleep like a dog.
  • Great show,

Took my brother in law to his first PJ show, pregame meal and tailgating is always fun. We were on the floor practically the 2nd last row, it was packed so we moved back to the last row to get some singing and dancing space.

In the merch line, my BIL hooked me up and 3 others on the periphery (2 guys and 1 pretty lady) with posters.
    I ended up selling my poster for $100 to a guy who was on his bachelor party after they sold out (I know, but I really didn't want to part with it).

The set list was great! The best was Ed introducing Mike's guitar as "I don't know what the fuck that thing is," it was the giant black one...

It was all fantastic.

"Lets go Pearl Jam Lets go!"
    Those ignorant Indians got nothing on me
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Big shout out to PJ-Cubs for assistance with a last minute GA ticket.

I enjoyed this show immensely. I was mentally into for every song. Sometimes work stuff comes to mind or other crap that distracts me, but when it did the greatness of the crowd and the band at this show prevented any distrations from taking hold. One of the best crowds I've been a part of. The setlist was perfect with Go leading off the second encore. I don't mind these slower starts to the first set, but when the crowd is pumped I want the band to hit with loud/fast one.

A coworker who took his 20+ year old daughter to the show saw the band for the first time. They don't really know their music that well but like going to shows and they happened to be in town visiting family. They were blown away by the crowd and joked that Ed didn't even sing the last half of the show because the crowd did it instead.

Infallible = best song on the album
    Pendulum = great opener
  • What a setlist!

No words can explain the combined greatness of Pendulum, Sometimes, Immortality, MYM, Sirens, I got shit, Once, Present tense, SOLAT, Porch, Off he goes, Rats, RVM, Indifference (and all the others).

Simply amazing!
  • SarahMcNadiaSarahMcNadia Ontario / Québec Posts: 195
    Krazyhorse wrote:
    I ended up selling my poster for $100 to a guy who was on his bachelor party after they sold out (I know, but I really didn't want to part with it).

Ha! I wonder if it was the same guy who offered me $100 for my poster.. I couldn't part with it though, being my first show.. Hilarious!
    An empty cup in the middle of the sea..
    Buffalo 12-Oct-2013 * Cincinnati 01-Oct-2014 * St. Louis 03-Oct-2014
  • ODOD Posts: 2
    What a show, usually hit the Toronto shows back to back, but since they are not playing in TO this time around decided to make the trip down t Buffalo, totally worth the drive and the ignorant border dude...lol.
    Pretty wicked set list, upbeat, and slowed down just at the right time.
    Ed seamed to fight through voice issue, but in true PJ fashion he def pushed through it and found a way to overcome it.
    Sirens is a pretty uplifting song, Pendulum is a unreal opener, get used to it cause it is a ass kicker as an opener.
    As always, Alive kicked the volume up a little bit more.
    Bubba O'Reilly was another hit, as always.
    Over 30 F'in songs, no opener...pretty awesome.

Eddie was running around with a wine bottle havin a drink saying hi to everyone, when he approached our section, 108, a lady had a pink sign with somthing written on it, Eddie asked the security guy to bring him the sign, he did, Eddie reads it and proceeds to give his bottle of wine to the girl with the sign...pretty cool gesture, similar to the tambourine yard sale he has when singing Bubba, or Keep on Rockin in The Free World...I liked the wine bottle episode this time around, totally cool and made the girls night for sure.

That is all...
    Kevin O'D
    OD wrote:
    Eddie was running around with a wine bottle havin a drink saying hi to everyone, when he approached our section, 108, a lady had a pink sign with somthing written on it, Eddie asked the security guy to bring him the sign, he did, Eddie reads it and proceeds to give his bottle of wine to the girl with the sign...pretty cool gesture, similar to the tambourine yard sale he has when singing Bubba, or Keep on Rockin in The Free World...I liked the wine bottle episode this time around, totally cool and made the girls night for sure.

That is all...

Ahhhhhhh, you were near her. Her sign read something along the lines of "It's my 40th Bday and all I want is a kiss". Basically she was asking for a birthday kiss. I think Eddie blew her a kiss at least, but I did see him pass his wine bottle along to her. Nice to see.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • WashMyLoveWashMyLove Posts: 804
    edited October 2013
    The madness started early as soon as we (my sister & I) got to the venue to ask which was the line for tickets and which one was the line for GA...Security had no damn idea. They didn't even know what 10C tickets were. They kept changing their minds about where to make any line. There was another GA line on the oppisite side of the venue. I went there with chairs. Left them with a really nice guy while I went back to tell my sister and to see if she moved already on the merch line. When I finished buying PJ merch the nice guy I met had come back with my chairs saying that security told them to come back, GA lines where by the box office windows. By then there were like 35 people ahead of me when I was probably #17 on line. Oh well. Then again later security came and told people there were going to be another GA entrance where my chairs were at first. :fp: I just decided to stay put. No more running around.

But I was wrong. The running was about to get chaotic. Just to get through the doors was so disorganized.
    Security took for ever to look inside my purse which everything was showing. Security lady took my halls, I told her I was sick and she said "I don't care you are sick, you can't take this in" but yet security was not even patting anyone down. Like if my halls were going to harm the band or people. :cry:
    Anyways by the time we were in another line to get our tickets scanned. More people ahead of me.lol The process of scanning ticket was even more chaotic because when they opened the 8 sections there was one side that looked like security didn't scanned tickets and by the time I was scanned there were like 80 people ahead of me lol...Crazy. I felt bad for those fans that got there earlier than me. I heard a couple were there at 6:30am and some at 10am. I think they all got screwed over. We all ran and had to stop to get our ticket marked with an X and then stop later again to show the X and then the wristband. this time there were like 100s in a spot just trying to get through the doors to run to the stage. I ran and I got the corner rail of mike's side. Thank god!
    This Buffalo Venue's security should have planed better and made one line for GA and another just for floor seating. Should have checked people's bags before allowing anyone move inside. They did that at Wrigley. Everyone on the line got checked and ticket scanned before letting the line move in. Oh well I hope for NYC shows it's better organize.

Besides all the crazyness, This show was amazing! It had everything! New music, Old ones, scary moments when Eddie got alarmed because it seemed like he probably hurt his vocal cords so he told his band mates to change a song that was later in the set to sing at the moment. Which it was a good idea. Also moments when Eddie messes up the lyrics. The band and Eddie mess up on the new song (Which is okay) they're human and we all make mistakes. but they make it even better a second time (this happen during My Father's son).

I am liking all the new songs live. Pendulum as an opener just AWESOME! Mind your manners rocks!
    My Father's Sons and infallible were great. Mike on guitar was on FIRE!!! Yellow moon and sirens gave me chills.

Rats was a surprise. I got shit is one of my favorites so always seeing that live is superb. SOLAT made me and my sister dance like the way the girls in the movie Singles were dancing at the club :lol:
    Once got everyone singing out loud. Energy from the crowd fed the band and the band gave it right back to us with their energy on stage. Saw some people crowd surf :lol: Glad I took my sister and her husband to experience Pearl Jam for their first time GA. Totally different experience from seeing them from a far vs. rail.

Thank you Pearl Jam! See you later this week...Hope you guys play some Binaural tunes and still hoping for DIRTY FRANK ;)
    Post edited by WashMyLove on
  • SF11987SF11987 Posts: 11
    nevmiles wrote:
    SF11987 wrote:

We continued around the arena and found ANOTHER much shorter line to get in on the West side of the arena. As someone else already commented it was hidden away by all the construction outside. It was only about 15-20 people deep when we got into line at 5:30 pm.

What do you look like? We were in the same line, and the line was short at 5:30 (we got in that line at 4) so we must have seen you.... we were about 15th/20th in line when we got there!

I had my Team McCready shirt on (and have red hair and a beard!)...

Yeah you must have seen us. I have salt & pepper hair - was wearing a red short sleeve buttoned shirt - was with a tall skinny guy and we were sitting with our backs against the awesome contoured cement barriers for a while. I didn't see you or your shirt though! Good to see other Ottawa folks down for the show though!
  • This show was a whole different trip for me.

I brought my son, who's 10. He's been asking me to bring him to a pearl jam show for a couple years now. I was going to wait till he was 12 but, you know, you never know what life is going to bring you. I didn't want to regret anything. I think he see's how much I love this band and wanted to share that with me.

We were in section 117. Great seats and he could see just fine. I was worried we were going to pull floor seats with my 415xxx but lucked out. The people around us were great. Asking him if it was his first show and giving him high fives. He was beaming.

He can be a timid kid in crowds so I wasn't sure if he'd join in or just observe but the kid was singing, fist pumping, screaming, air-drumming...he was in it!! I loved seeing him so happy.

So it was my first dry show, obviously. It felt weird drinking pop instead of beer but I knew I'd be doing the Philly shows next week so it wasn't too tough.

The show was great! I really am not looking for perfection when I go to a show. I like it when Ed fucks up lyrics or when they have to start a song over. Feels more intimate. I didn't notice anything wrong with the sound but I'm no expert. All I know is these guys impress me so much with their energy and stamina! They're not young guys anymore but damn!!!

Lots of new songs that I didn't know (until today!) so it worked out well for us. I think it kept the crowd a bit more tame.

Loved hearing Baba again...I think that was my highlight...other than my kid saying on the way home "It's weird, that concert changed me...it's like I see things differently now." Such a cool cat. :wink:
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • Drove in from Akron, Ohio to see my first Pearl Jam show and I was not disappointed! It was better than I imagined it would be. I was so sad for it to end. :cry:
    This show was a whole different trip for me.

I brought my son, who's 10. He's been asking me to bring him to a pearl jam show for a couple years now. I was going to wait till he was 12 but, you know, you never know what life is going to bring you. I didn't want to regret anything. I think he see's how much I love this band and wanted to share that with me.

We were in section 117. Great seats and he could see just fine. I was worried we were going to pull floor seats with my 415xxx but lucked out. The people around us were great. Asking him if it was his first show and giving him high fives. He was beaming.

He can be a timid kid in crowds so I wasn't sure if he'd join in or just observe but the kid was singing, fist pumping, screaming, air-drumming...he was in it!! I loved seeing him so happy.

So it was my first dry show, obviously. It felt weird drinking pop instead of beer but I knew I'd be doing the Philly shows next week so it wasn't too tough.

The show was great! I really am not looking for perfection when I go to a show. I like it when Ed fucks up lyrics or when they have to start a song over. Feels more intimate. I didn't notice anything wrong with the sound but I'm no expert. All I know is these guys impress me so much with their energy and stamina! They're not young guys anymore but damn!!!

Lots of new songs that I didn't know (until today!) so it worked out well for us. I think it kept the crowd a bit more tame.

Loved hearing Baba again...I think that was my highlight...other than my kid saying on the way home "It's weird, that concert changed me...it's like I see things differently now." Such a cool cat. :wink:

Awesome story. My son is 6 and loves "Once" . . . he always wants me to play it in the car and calls it his "special song". When I told him I was going to see the band that sings his "special song", he kept asking me if he could come to the show too.

Bless him, but with my GA tickets and waiting in line to get close and at his age, he never would have lasted :-) But like you, hopefully one day within the next 10 years I'll be able to take him with me to a PJ show....
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • What a night!! There were a few hiccups along the way, which Eddie seemed very frustrated by, but it was still an amazing show!! I thought the crowd had a lot of energy and that the new stuff sounded incredible. I especially enjoyed Pendulum as the opener, Yellow Moon, Infallible, and Mind Your Manners.

I got 8 new songs tonight (all from Lightning Bolt), and I was hoping for a deeper cut or two that I hadn't heard before, but I enjoyed the song choices! Porch, Corduroy, RVM, DTE, Once, Go, SOLAT, Comatose - great energy from the band and the crowd! RVM was unbelievable! Add in Present Tense AND Immortality, Rats, I Got Shit, Low Light, Sometimes! And closing the show with Baba O'Riley and Indifference!! Loved it!! They've closed with either Yellow Ledbetter or RITFW at nearly all the shows I've attended, so I really enjoyed this combo. Also, they closed with Baba and Indifference at my very first concert (12 shows ago in 2000) and it really brought me back to that first time.

My only criticism is similar to that of others. PJ played 9 songs from Lightning Bolt and they probably should have cut that down to 6 or 7 and spread it out (instead of playing songs back-to-back). Personally, I LOVE the new material, but the album wasn't even out yet and there are tons of casual fans. Unfortunately, I was next to two sets of 10C fans who conversed loudly during all of Lightning Bolt except for MYM and complained, "Jesus, are they going to play the entire album?" They were so annoying, but if they were feeling that way, I'm sure the casual fans were too. I love PJ's enthusiasm for Lightning Bolt, though!

Other than the inconsiderate loud talkers, I had a blast! It's my only show this tour, and I'm hoping the boys find themselves in Ontario in 2014! I loved the Canadian presence in Buffalo!! There were some Go Leafs Go chants and lots of "sorrys". :lol:
  • WWS wrote:
    Caught some flack for skipping some Canadian Thanksgiving activities with family...I my mind I spent the night with my other family.

I got home after 3:00 am and was on the road by 8:00 am for my Thanksgiving activities. My family wasn't letting me out of anything. :lol:
    merileyjr wrote:
    Funny - I don't think Buffalo is very fond of Vincent Gallo, you could hear a pin drop when Eddie mentioned him as a favorite son of Buffalo :)

:lol:

I was wondering if I was the only one who noticed this slightly awkward moment. :lol:
  • Red Lukin wrote:
    Great show!

- Indifference instead of YL was a great choice
    - I love the unique setlists now. Such a nice feel
    - Present Tense was amazing. As was Comatose, Once, DTE, I got shit. etc. Rats was different than usual but very awesome. Stone ripped into this classic guitar solo. Amazing!
    - When Ed mentioned something about a cool Buffalo logo and said he couldn't hear the reaction it was the Canadians chanting go leafs go!
    - free parking - wtf?

I agree with all this! I loved the Go Leafs Go chant! :lol: I can't believe there was free parking. Bummed we missed out on this. :)
    Has nobody commented on the crowd surfing yet? While I'm not over surprised, I didn't think there would be any . . . but there was . . right by me too!

Can't remember at what point in the show it was, but I saw Eddie point out to the crowd and then the security guy in front of us stand on the rail. I assumed a it would be a fight, but I turned around and there was some dude surfing his way towards us! Managed to get a hand in there to help him to the rail, but his foot caught me in the head on the way out! Then of course, that started a trend and we got a few more as the night went on.

There was also A LOT of pushing & shoving in the pit during the last two songs as people from the back decided to try and make their way closer for the end of the show. A few obnoxious fans not giving a shit and pushing in very aggressively, but for the most part we held our spots fairly easily.

Guess that always happens at these shows . . people try to get close for the end (even has happened when there are all floor seats!)
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Red Lukin wrote:
    Great show!

- Indifference instead of YL was a great choice
    - I love the unique setlists now. Such a nice feel
    - Present Tense was amazing. As was Comatose, Once, DTE, I got shit. etc. Rats was different than usual but very awesome. Stone ripped into this classic guitar solo. Amazing!
    - When Ed mentioned something about a cool Buffalo logo and said he couldn't hear the reaction it was the Canadians chanting go leafs go!
    - free parking - wtf?

I agree with all this! I loved the Go Leafs Go chant! :lol: I can't believe there was free parking. Bummed we missed out on this. :)

It also helps that everyone in Buffalo hates the Sabres right now
  • MayDay10 wrote:
    It also helps that everyone in Buffalo hates the Sabres right now

But we got a win last night! hahaha. Ugh.
    Mine is mine and yours won't take it's place
  • Went with our 17 year old daughter and she had been waiting for Baba O'Riley for 4 or 5 years. Great weather, great crowd and great night.
    Rochester 94
    Mansfield 1 08
    Eddie Boston 1 08
    Toronto 09
    Philly 3 09
    Buffalo 2010
    MSG 2 2010
    Hamilton 2011
    Buffalo 2013