Avocado: 2013

CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
edited September 2013 in The Porch
Just listened to ST from front to back 3 times in a row for the 1st time in at least 2 years. HOLEY TOLEDO! Do you know what bands would give to make an album like that today?! Andf it's not even a top 5 Pearl Jam album IMHO.

I'm so grateful (and proud) that I picked this band as my chauffeurs through life. They have made my world a better place to live. That's all anyone can ask of 5 dudes who have no knowledge of their (my) existence.

I love how music plays the role of a time machine. This album came at a crucial time for me. My love life, my career, my self search ... ect. From Life Wasted to Inside Job ... it's a journey through truth, justice and the PJ way. Avocado has really stood the test of time for me.

Life Wasted
WWS
Comatose
Severed Hand
Marker in the sand
Parachutes
Unemployable
Big Wave
Gone
Wasted Reprise
Army Reserve
Come Back
Inside Job

We are the luckiest fans in the world!
"Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    I dig that passion! Play it loud and play it often
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • evsgjamm wrote:

Right on, man!

It's weird, I'm almost afraid of playing full albums these day's. Reliving the emotional jouney is tough sometimes. :D
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Thumbs up here too, Rick. ST/Avocado is a great record!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,102
    I hear ya. I had the same thing happen to me, but from an entirely different "band" called Neverending White Lights. Stumbled on it by fluke in 2005 during a tough time and that fucking album changed the way I dealt with my stuff at that time. I played it on full blast for 3 straight days; even when I left the house, I left it cranked over the surround sound. I slept with it cranked, I ate with it cranked, I lived... with that first album titled "Act I - Goodbye Friends of the Heavenly Bodies" and I'm glad I did. Now though? I have stopped listening to it entirely. BUT it's still one of my most favorite and most certainly memorable and "effective" albums of my life. Music is life's band-aid.
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • evsgjamm wrote:
    I hear ya. I had the same thing happen to me, but from an entirely different "band" called Neverending White Lights. Stumbled on it by fluke in 2005 during a tough time and that fucking album changed the way I dealt with my stuff at that time. I played it on full blast for 3 straight days; even when I left the house, I left it cranked over the surround sound. I slept with it cranked, I ate with it cranked, I lived... with that first album titled "Act I - Goodbye Friends of the Heavenly Bodies" and I'm glad I did. Now though? I have stopped listening to it entirely. BUT it's still one of my most favorite and most certainly memorable and "effective" albums of my life. Music is life's band-aid.

A fuckin men!
  • october22october22 Posts: 2,533
    Totally with you, bro.
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,876
    I agree. This album has aged very well.
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Not gonna slag on S/T, as it's a pretty cool album, but there's no shortage of albums as good or better since its release.

I think almost every PJ album has aged really well. I think one could argue against Ten and Vs b/c the overall sound, but they're so full of great songs they attain a timeless quality. Backspacer was instantly accessible, but the lack of depth, musically and lyrically, has made it easy to wear on.
  • evsgjamm wrote:

I relate to that 100%. Happened to me totally unexpectedly with Nada Surf's The Weight is a Gift. A band i had never heard of except for (crappy) song, and that album really grabbed me and spoke to me about loss, relationships, maturing, and letting go. I should probably listen to it again right now actually....

i wish a PJ album would hit me that hard again...No Code was the last one to hit me as a united whole of an album, for me personally. I love Yield and all of the rest after, but none of 'em have been life-changing (tho many of the songs alone are...)

cheers
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    I agree. This album has aged very well.

This!

It's the last studio cd that I actually will play along side live boots only.
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,295
    evsgjamm wrote:

can't help but play it loud. its completely brickwalled. good tunes though!
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • WhyGo91WhyGo91 Posts: 639
    Just listened to ST from front to back 3 times in a row for the 1st time in at least 2 years. HOLEY TOLEDO! Do you know what bands would give to make an album like that today?! Andf it's not even a top 5 Pearl Jam album IMHO.

I'm so grateful (and proud) that I picked this band as my chauffeurs through life. They have made my world a better place to live. That's all anyone can ask of 5 dudes who have no knowledge of their (my) existence.

I love how music plays the role of a time machine. This album came at a crucial time for me. My love life, my career, my self search ... ect. From Life Wasted to Inside Job ... it's a journey through truth, justice and the PJ way. Avocado has really stood the test of time for me.

Life Wasted
    WWS
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Marker in the sand
    Parachutes
    Unemployable
    Big Wave
    Gone
    Wasted Reprise
    Army Reserve
    Come Back
    Inside Job

We are the luckiest fans in the world!

Amazing passion! I Love it! :D and might I just add, that Inside Job might be my all-time favorite closer of any album that they have. I love Release, but I love it as a stand alone song, Inside Job is just an amazing way to end such a flawless album as Avocado...if that makes any sense haha. I also really love All Those Yesterdays from Yield, that's a great closer too :)
    446927_artist.jpg?0119
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    "chauffeurs" :D I love that description!

Definitely a rockin album. I wish they would play it in its entirety at shows! :lol:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • dannydanny Posts: 2,269
    gonna do the same tomorrow at work cheers
    danny d
  • vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,061
    Over on the "Play Minnesota" thread, we've been typing out S/T's guitar riffs phonetically... :lol:

Great, great album.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • to me its easily their best album since yield. love it.
  • Been listening to it a lot again lately. Although I still prefer Backspacer. ;)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    SENROCK wrote:

Definitely a rockin album. I wish they would play it in its entirety at shows! :lol:

I smiled at that description too. :D
    I need to put on S/T soon - its been too long..
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    This album is absolutely fantastic - sometimes I actually feel like I get a major craving for it, and I can't get it off my mind until I listen to the whole album a couple of times.... currently seeking it on vinyl, which is turning out to be harder than expected. There seems to be a surge in popularity for this album.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    I shall listen to this album in it's entirety now as well. I like Severed Hand more all the time, all the guitars in that song, that's what Backspacer was missing. :problem:
  • SENROCK wrote:

Hey there, Sen!

Ha ha ... could you imagine any of the boys with a suit, tie and that little drivers cap on?! :lol:

The term just seemed to fit what I wanted to convey at that moment. I also might have had two 24oz Coors lights in me. :)
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    SENROCK wrote:

Hey there, Sen!

Ha ha ... could you imagine any of the boys with a suit, tie and that little drivers cap on?! :lol:

The term just seemed to fit what I wanted to convey at that moment. I also might have had two 24oz Coors lights in me. :)

Dude, that is a FUNNY thought! :lol: I can see Stone all nervous and not speaking at ALL and using a Thomas Guide instead of a gps! :lol:

and HI!!! Need to message you, lost your digits when I got a new phone :shock:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • SENROCK wrote:
    SENROCK wrote:

Hey there, Sen!

Dude, that is a FUNNY thought! :lol: I can see Stone all nervous and not speaking at ALL and using a Thomas Guide instead of a gps! :lol:

and HI!!! Need to message you, lost your digits when I got a new phone :shock:

Stone AND Eddie would so use a Thomas guide. :lol:

Yeah, hit me up. 2005-06', is when we began to communicate. So, it ties in well with this thread.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    My favorite album of the 2000's
  • LloydXmas wrote:
    My favorite album of the 2000's

Wow! Pearl Jam albums or all albums?
  • Wow, am I an asshole? I was just listening to S/T not too long ago but thought it hasn't aged very well at all. Songs like Unemployable, Gone, Inside Job, and Parachutes don't do it for me, anymore. The same thing is happening to Backspacer: I find myself listening to it less and less and time goes by. When I first heard about Lightning Bolt I was talking a lot of shit, but now I'm starting to have high hopes. Here's to hoping Pearl Jam gives their fans the first 'Pearl Jam' album in over ten years.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Here's to hoping Pearl Jam gives their fans the first 'Pearl Jam' album in over ten years.
    Huh? What does that mean??
    How about just hoping that you personally enjoy the new album more than you did the ones of the last ten years?
    I personally absolutely LOVE Binaural, Riot Act, and Avocado a lot, and think that every PJ album is uniquely and noticeably 'Pearl Jam'.... whatever the fuck that means.

Oh, and no. Not liking some music doesn't make you an asshole. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    Avocado is great.

If you have a way to play this through speakers (not pc speakers) the Ed Sullivan theater show is awesome.

The band sounds SO tight and the avocado songs all sound awesome. Love marker in the sand, severed hand.. I love all of them. I've been listening to this over the last few days.

This is a great way to hear avocado.. It's a live show but sounds like they are jamming In the studio.

Can't reccomend this enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flnI35_bXws

05-04-2006
    Ed Sullivan Theater
    New York Ny

Setlist:

World Wide Suicide
    Comatose
    Severed Hand
    Marker In The Sand
    Gone
    Unemployable
    Present Tense
    Do The Evolution
    Why Go
    Porch
  • Avocado is easily top 5 for me!
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • I remember after it came out reading how some people didn't like it and was telling a guy at work. I was saying "seems a lot of people don't like it but I just can't stop playing it"

Still love it, want the vinyl.
    Happy up here in my tree