Options

EMEK Wrigley AP - WTF?

juancor70juancor70 Posts: 206
edited August 2013 in Lost Dogs
Did anyone manage to get a copy of Emek's website?

I just want to put it out there that what went down the day of the online sale was the most idiotic thing I heard.

At the specified time, instead of a BUY button, a message appeared saying something like:

"In order to avoid flipping and whatnot, we're doing a *raffle* system. Pick a number from 1-99. Send an email to <!-- e --><a href="mailto:contest@emek.net">contest@emek.net</a><!-- e --> with that number. If you win, you will have an opportunity to buy one. Winners will be notified in 24 hs".

As I said before, this is the stupidest alternative because:

1. If you want this to be 'kosher' you should post the number on the website saying "the number was 55". Anyone that guessed 55 won the chance to buy the poster. Nothing was said on that note.

2. As a guess, you have from 1% chance of winning up to 0,0001% of winning. Here's the math, let's say that the number was 55, and 1000 emails were received guessing the exact same number - even if you guessed it, there's only 100 posters. Not to mention if 10,000 emails were received. And so on.

3. Everyone knows that flippers are hooked up with the artist - here's my proof. (check the dates).

Emek.jpg

So basically what if anyone has anything to say about this, perhaps one of Emek's friends here on the forum, please let us know!

Thanks everyone!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    juancor70juancor70 Posts: 206
    I'm glad to know that people who are fans got theirs!

Be that as it may, flippers also have email accounts and can guess numbers.

All I'm saying is that this system lacks transparency.

The number was 24 or 25? What if 20 people guessed 24 and Emek gave the remaining 80 to his friends? What if 1000 people guessed 24? What if I guessed 24 and never got an email, does it mean that I'm the 101th person to guess that?

:? Too many questions....
  • Options
    juancor70 wrote:

The number was 24 or 25? What if 20 people guessed 24 and Emek gave the remaining 80 to his friends? What if 1000 people guessed 24? What if I guessed 24 and never got an email, does it mean that I'm the 101th person to guess that?

why you have to believe what a flipper said at ebay instead of Emek.or an artist?.?
    the artist thought that way he protect his sale or what ever..

you know what i know for sure??

always after Emek's S/N sales,dozes of his S/N posters comes up right away to ebay for sale 3-4 times the original price up..

now?after what Emek did..after all this days??

not even one went for sale at ebay so far.

i call his move..success!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    you are right to be skeptical.
    It was shitty IMO. I saw on the thread only 3 people here got "selected" for a poster.

I find it hard to believe that EMEK was taken off guard and shocked at the moment of the sale that there would be people selling his print off of ebay.
    The faithful were refreshing there for 20+ minutes hoping to grab a poster. I am almost certain I would have landed one if it werent for the silly guessing game.

Say #24 and #25 were the winners. That is a 1/50 chance. Assuming a normal distribution... 100 prints = 5,000 unique people entered in that small window. I also dont understand why the would quell "flippers". They can guess numbers too, and may be more likely to be slimy and make multiple entries with different emails. I could think of a few other, better ways that could slow down the flipping. This is like the USA "controlling" the budget by not calculating the fiscal year total, but just calculating it by month.

I guess I wouldnt be frustrated if this were announced on the front end. That was crummy.

Its his shit, he can do what he wants, but I personally didnt like it
  • Options
    achon44achon44 Posts: 104
    juancor70 wrote:

1. If you want this to be 'kosher' you should post the number on the website saying "the number was 55". Anyone that guessed 55 won the chance to buy the poster. Nothing was said on that note.

I received an email from Emek Studios after it was all said and done explaining the winning number....

Hi Todd
    The winning number was 26; the year the stadium was named Wrigley Field.
    Only entries received while the "guess" button was up were accepted. Any entries received later in the day or sent to a different email were not considered. Winners have been notified. If winners do not reply by the time given we will offer their poster to the next in line. Thank you for participating.
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH 07-29-92....Cleveland, OH 03-22-94....Cleveland, OH 05-09-10....Chicago, IL 07-19-13....
    San Diego, CA 11-21-13.... Los Angeles, CA 11-23-13....Los Angeles, CA 11-24-13....Oakland, CA 11-27-13
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    you are right to be skeptical.
    It was shitty IMO. I saw on the thread only 3 people here got "selected" for a poster.

I find it hard to believe that EMEK was taken off guard and shocked at the moment of the sale that there would be people selling his print off of ebay.
    The faithful were refreshing there for 20+ minutes hoping to grab a poster. I am almost certain I would have landed one if it werent for the silly guessing game.

Say #24 and #25 were the winners. That is a 1/50 chance. Assuming a normal distribution... 100 prints = 5,000 unique people entered in that small window. I also dont understand why the would quell "flippers". They can guess numbers too, and may be more likely to be slimy and make multiple entries with different emails. I could think of a few other, better ways that could slow down the flipping. This is like the USA "controlling" the budget by not calculating the fiscal year total, but just calculating it by month.

I guess I wouldnt be frustrated if this were announced on the front end. That was crummy.

Its his shit, he can do what he wants, but I personally didnt like it
    i understand was wrong to do i the time of the sale
    i understand people waiting to buy this and suddenly saw this in their screen
    i understand you dont like it..

but,,do u agree that the move had success ?
    not even a single one is up for sale so many days?
    and at previous sales dozens was up there minutes after his sale?
    i know ytou have experience in posters and poster sales..and its easy to see the difference..
    the goal Emek want to achieve with that move he got it..
  • Options
    rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    whos got my emek s/n????? i got your cash.... flip away, i will pay after market any day rather than stand in lines all weekend.... someone flip me emek s/n, lets get it done
  • Options
    we will see.
    They could be waiting for the dust to settle and for them to get the prints in hand before selling them off (or immediately trading them).
  • Options
    Me early Friday afternoon

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpeg

me at about 3:20PM

fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-serious-or-trolling-7e8642.jpg
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,721
    juancor70 wrote:

why you have to believe what a flipper said at ebay instead of Emek.or an artist?.?
    the artist thought that way he protect his sale or what ever..

you know what i know for sure??

always after Emek's S/N sales,dozes of his S/N posters comes up right away to ebay for sale 3-4 times the original price up..

now?after what Emek did..after all this days??

not even one went for sale at ebay so far.

i call his move..success!

Maybe people are just awaiting receipt of them given the move Emek made - worried their sales might be cancelled if they are seen flipping?
  • Options
    MayDay10 wrote:
    we will see.
    They could be waiting for the dust to settle and for them to get the prints in hand before selling them off (or immediately trading them).
    just look how many S/N from the other artist wrigley posters are up for sale at ebay from the first minute the sale was over,they didnt have them on hands....
    and just for the record cos only 3 people post in the thread doesnt mean anything...
    flipping will never stop,no matter what..its impossible to know the intensions of people buy an item...
    but he change the odds..for the usual ebay flippers..

for me is only one the solution...

block every of his poster sale over face value has his signuture at second market by asking copyrights..im sure there is a way to do it.
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

Maybe people are just awaiting receipt of them given the move Emek made - worried their sales might be cancelled if they are seen flipping?
    yep..we need to wait..but i know onme thing..
    all other 3 artist S/N had a flipping party at ebay
    Emek not.not even one..winners already know they got this...for me is success at the moment
    and for sure will think about it how they sell it now..cos sure emek knows who got his posters,and which number someone got
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind but its hardly a masterpiece, the hype machine of Wrigley is having a major impact on these posters.

haven't seen too many Shuss S/N's on the bay either yet....
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:
    I wouldn't mind but its hardly a masterpiece, the hype machine of Wrigley is having a major impact on these posters.

i think in general the posters sucked..lol..ok,not susked,i wish was better..

Shuss was the best imo
  • Options
    pdalowsky wrote:

Shuss was the best imo

oh absolutely agreed, the Shuss I really liked, it had that classic look to it, and given Kevin was the only one of the 4 not classed as an established artist that is really a great achievement
  • Options
    achon44achon44 Posts: 104
    pdalowsky wrote:
    pdalowsky wrote:

Shuss was the best imo

oh absolutely agreed, the Shuss I really liked, it had that classic look to it, and given Kevin was the only one of the 4 not classed as an established artist that is really a great achievement
    I think the Shuss is great, but the one thing I like about posters is the original art. The Cracker Jack concept was brilliant, but IMO Munk One's "Dirty Frank" was the best. It immediately caught my eye at the merch stand.
    Cuyahoga Falls, OH 07-29-92....Cleveland, OH 03-22-94....Cleveland, OH 05-09-10....Chicago, IL 07-19-13....
    San Diego, CA 11-21-13.... Los Angeles, CA 11-23-13....Los Angeles, CA 11-24-13....Oakland, CA 11-27-13
  • Options
    achon44 wrote:
    [
    yesh,,u are right about that..original art is always better..sure,some times use alot of the venue,or something reminds the show etc
    thinking that,emek is the best
  • Options
    can't believe i'm saying this, but I thought emek's poster really left something to be desired. I thought it was the worst out of the four and I usually really dig his stuff. :cry:
    if you think what I believe is stupid, bizarre, ridiculous or outrageous.....it's ok, I think I had a brain tumor when I wrote that.