Options

Multiple People Shot at Mother's Day Parade in New Orleans

2»

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,683
    The problem is, whether you're for or against allowing the purchase of guns the fact remains that in many states they're too easy to obtain, the scale of weapon technology available to citizens is unwarranted and the sheer number of guns (here in the US) is uncalled for.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    pandora wrote:
    The goal of our society should be " Not to live in fear " not to have to worry about when the next shooting will occur instead we have "More guns make us feel safer mentality " ....So that means more guns = more deaths ...I don't care how you paint that picture more guns = more dead people ....You can arm every teacher from here to El PASO the results will be the same ....
    Are you for the all out banning of all guns Jose ... to remove the right for US citizens to own guns?

But there are still criminals, crime, those who live off of others, predators.
    That is not going anywhere. There are still those who are mentally unbalanced,
    vengeful, or who hate. It seems logical to me to remove that first and see how many guns
    remain because that is the reason we have the new gun owners we do as of late.

The Constitution didn't grant us the right to own guns. It granted us the right to "bear arms". That right has subsequently been eroded to the point of being meaningless. The Constitution is not a valid argument against gun control anymore in my opinion. It probably hasn't been since sometime around WW1.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    this was in 7th ward New Orleans so it's more than likely gang violence.

This is still a form of terrorism to me.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    pandora wrote:
    The goal of our society should be " Not to live in fear " not to have to worry about when the next shooting will occur instead we have "More guns make us feel safer mentality " ....So that means more guns = more deaths ...I don't care how you paint that picture more guns = more dead people ....You can arm every teacher from here to El PASO the results will be the same ....
    Are you for the all out banning of all guns Jose ... to remove the right for US citizens to own guns?

vengeful, or who hate. It seems logical to me to remove that first and see how many guns

No not at all i say if you wan't to own a gun for self protection go for it , i'm saying as a country we should be striving for a more peace loving nation wich i know is a total naive notion on my part but a man can dream no ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044
    edited May 2013
    pandora wrote:
    I am for the lifting of gun free zones better known as sitting duck spaces.

The lady under the desk hiding could have stopped the shooter, she lay at his feet,
    the principal could have if prepared. A couple of resource officers at different posts
    most likely would have. At least that is a fighting chance and that is all we have when
    terror stikes.
    Lets just have giant shootouts everywhere. More bullets flying will solve everything :roll:
    Once again the "we should have more guns answer." I still just cant wrap my head around people thinking more people being armed as an answer to these horrific situations. It's so fucked up IMO. Should there have been "resource officers" at the parade?
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I'm still waiting for one of these shootings to be ended prematurely by someone with a concealed handgun.

Even though that's one of the biggest talking points for the pro-gun crowd, it NEVER seems to happen that one of the upstanding, law-abiding citizens comes to the rescue with his guns.
    Agreed. Well said.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    I'm still waiting for one of these shootings to be ended prematurely by someone with a concealed handgun.

Even though that's one of the biggest talking points for the pro-gun crowd, it NEVER seems to happen that one of the upstanding, law-abiding citizens comes to the rescue with his guns.

The mall shooting in Oregon late last year was stopped by an armed citizen who was legally conceal carrying...
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

The mall shooting in Oregon late last year was stopped by an armed citizen who was legally conceal carrying...

You sure about that? I remember that he confronted the gunman, but not that he actually stopped it.

Doesn't seem as if that was the case: http://www.kgw.com/news/Clackamas-man-a ... 93571.html

• Options
    know1 wrote:

So by your assesment everybody should be carrying legally and all of these mass shooting would be avoided ok that works ....
  • Options
    So by your assesment everybody should be carrying legally and all of these mass shooting would be avoided ok that works ....
    Yay! More guns!! I'm sure everything would be a lot safer if we all carried them all the time! :roll: :fp: :fp:
  • Options
    Abe Froman wrote:
    Yay! More guns!! I'm sure everything would be a lot safer if we all carried them all the time! :roll: :fp: :fp:

You do know wich side of this argument i fall under right :|
  • Options
    know1 wrote:

Yo Jose, quit putting words in my mouth.

I was just giving an instance where an armed citizen prevented more shooting.
  • Options
    Hey Rusty it was not meant to be taken that way if you did i apologize my sarcasm sometimes is overlooked ..
  • Options
    Abe Froman wrote:

You do know wich side of this argument i fall under right :|
    Yeah, I was just being sarcastic. I'm just so baffled by the more guns argument. I'm in complete agreement with you.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:

No not at all i say if you wan't to own a gun for self protection go for it , i'm saying as a country we should be striving for a more peace loving nation wich i know is a total naive notion on my part but a man can dream no ...
    :clap:
    so can a woman
  • Options
    Abe Froman wrote:
    pandora wrote:

The lady under the desk hiding could have stopped the shooter, she lay at his feet,
    the principal could have if prepared. A couple of resource officers at different posts
    most likely would have. At least that is a fighting chance and that is all we have when
    terror stikes.
    Lets just have giant shootouts everywhere. More bullets flying will solve everything :roll:
    Once again the "we should have more guns answer." I still just cant wrap my head around people thinking more people being armed as an answer to these horrific situations. It's so fucked up IMO. Should there have been "resource officers" at the parade?
    The reality is as long as we have a lot crime/ predators we will need guns to protect ourselves.
    Reality is we can not be sure to ever be able to protect ourselves, our families,
    we can only try.

I'm assuming there were plenty of police officers? or no? We have a big presence here
    for any street events. This was a high crime area the Mayor said in his statement.
    I would think security high if they cared about the citizens of the area.
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    pandora wrote:

The Constitution didn't grant us the right to own guns. It granted us the right to "bear arms". That right has subsequently been eroded to the point of being meaningless. The Constitution is not a valid argument against gun control anymore in my opinion. It probably hasn't been since sometime around WW1.
    Did I mention the Constitution? I did mention a couple other points though :?
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Did I mention the Constitution? I did mention a couple other points though :?

You mentioned "the right to own guns". I don't think that specific right exists.

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    this was a gangland shooting so i doubt any existing or new laws would've helped. i'm surprised there wasn't anyone shooting back. the good news is that the parade wasn't that packed.
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    The reality is as long as we have a lot crime/ predators we will need guns to protect ourselves.
    Reality is we can not be sure to ever be able to protect ourselves, our families,
    we can only try.
    No it isn't. Only your reality.
    Guns are a problem. Period. Obviously not the entire problem but part of it for sure. MORE guns does not seem like a logical solution. How people can't understand this baffles me.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    pandora wrote:
    Abe Froman wrote:
    pandora wrote:

terror stikes.
    we can only try.

I'm assuming there were plenty of police officers? or no? We have a big presence here
    for any street events. This was a high crime area the Mayor said in his statement.
    I would think security high if they cared about the citizens of the area.

Hey Pandora, just a question, do you ever believe that the high level of crime might be because there are so many guns?
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    Hey Pandora, just a question, do you ever believe that the high level of crime might be because there are so many guns?

You are aware the Justice Department recently released data showing massive decline in both fatal and non fatal crimes involving firearms? Are any of you aware of this?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,152
    fife wrote:
    pandora wrote:

You are aware the Justice Department recently released data showing massive decline in both fatal and non fatal crimes involving firearms? Are any of you aware of this?
    but

but

but

mass shooting events are UP..
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    but he real problem is people... if it weren't for people, all those guns would just lay unmolested under pillows and hidden away in closets not hurting anyone. but then again if it weren't for people, guns wouldn't exist. and its because guns do exist that a whole lot of people no longer do. ;)8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    They got the suspect. His prior resume ...

An earlier police news release said Scott had previously been arrested on charges of illegal carrying of a weapon, illegal possession of a stolen firearm, resisting an officer, contraband to jail, illegal carrying of a weapon while in possession of a controlled dangerous substance and possession of heroin.

Volcano pit, right?
  • Options
    Bump, in case you haven't had a enough of the past.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©