Options

The State of Pearl Jam??

AlltheWay23AlltheWay23 Posts: 158
edited May 2013 in The Porch
What is Pearl Jam today?

Since they put out one of my favorite albums of all time back in 2006 (7 years ago) what have they done??

-Put out a 36 minute album that was average
-Put on two of the best live shows I've ever seen at Madison Square Garden in 2010
-Put on a whole lot of average festival shows

Is it a side project with the occasional live show that means something?

Is it a band taking their time to put out another classic rock & roll album in the iTunes/American Idol era?

Who is Pearl Jam today?

Interested to hear people's opinions on this....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    loix71loix71 Posts: 283
    What is Pearl Jam today?

Since they put out one of my favorite albums of all time back in 2006 (7 years ago) what have they done??

-Put out a 36 minute album that was average
    -Put on two of the best live shows I've ever seen at Madison Square Garden in 2010
    -Put on a whole lot of average festival shows

Is it a side project with the occasional live show that means something? :lol:never seen the things like this but, now, it really appearslike this

Is it a band taking their time to put out another classic rock & roll album in the iTunes/American Idol era?

Who is Pearl Jam today?

Interested to hear people's opinions on this....

+1

i'm sure the next lp will be amazing.
    08/06/2000 Paris
    09/09/2006 Marseille
    11/06/2006 Paris
    03/07/2010 Arras
    30/06/2012 Arras
    16/06/2014 Amsterdam
    26/06/2014 Berlin
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,751
    They are a band that has nothing to prove. They don't even need to make another record as far as I'm concerned. If they were a shitty live band I may have walked long ago. They do their thing, we do ours and we meet up once in a while and just party for 3 hours. They are in a perfect place, I think they love knowing they have a hardcore following of faithful fans that will sellout pretty much any show and sing every lyric (or every guitar riff in Argentina 2011) from Release to YL. By them going out on their own side projects they refresh. Those average festivals are AMAZING shows to the casual fan that couldn't name their last 7 albums. And for what it's worth, Backspacer did get nominated for a Grammy in 2010 for 'Best Rock Album and Best Rock Song (The Fixer). They've done enough. Just keep coming around every few years like an old best friend from High School and lets let loose for a few hours.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    Johnny AggroJohnny Aggro Posts: 543
    Each to their own.

But i dont agree. Yes we have seen less of them in the past few years in terms of albums. Not sure if u are based in the US as i know thry havent toured much there lately. Im in Europe and in the past 3 years i have been lucky enough to see the guys 4 times. One on ocassion i got to meet Mike Ed and Matt. And on another Ed gave me his tambo. (4.50 on first youtube ziggo dome ritfw clip... yes totally bragging ;-) Yes a passport was required but totally worth it.

Backspacer has some of their best tracks but as an album definitely not my favourite. Granted. Also the guys are pushing 50 so they aint gonna be touring and releasing anything like 20 years ago. I am sure u guys will get a couple of out and out tours but no one can argue that this band have done anything except give to their fans.

Dont worry. I aint some looney that wont hear a bad word said. So ur opinions are valid. I just dont see it that way!!

Rafter
    RDS Dublin - Aug 26 1995 (Neil Young with Pearl Jam)
    Millstreet Arena - Oct 24, 1996
    The Point - Oct 26, 1996
    The Point - Jun 01, 2000
    The Point - Aug 23, 2006
    Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Aug 17, 2009
    The O2 - Jun 22, 2010
    Odyssey Arena - Jun 23, 2010
    Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 20 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 26 2012
    Amsterdam Ziggo Dome - Jun 16 2014
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Heavily discussed topic and like many posts on here I do know where you're coming from although don't share your opinion as such. Agree on Backspacer to an extent as it isn't on par with earlier releases but some people love it and it did help to turn another generation of fans on to them. I don't think they consider PJ anywhere near over and for me the side projects are what is probably keeping them together, you know the old cliche about "musical differences". Side projects help aleviate conflict in the studio when any indivdual brings something to different to the table. They know the importance of this and at the same time the projects get their ideas out to an audience to a good degree of success.

Since Avocado:

2006:
    Toured the album extensively with a lot of stunning shows, released all the shows and topped it off with the Immagine In Cornice DVD.

2007:
    Returned to play a difficult show in Denmark and showed that they can play festivals and still draw a huge audience. Did an amazing show at the Vic followed by a good Lolla show.

2008: Continued to play shows with no album to support and brought a lot of rarities into the setlists showing a fun side to the band.

2009: A handful of very good Euro shows including the tiny Shepherd's Bush show. Backspacer of course supported by small tours visiting East and West US and Aus/NZ. Four shows to close the Spectrum.

2010: Continued to tour in support of Backspacer with some amazing shows visiting more US cities and Europe including more festivals.

2011: PJ20 of course which some thought should really have been part of a larger US tour. Still it included Canadian and South American tours which both had a number of amazing shows. Extensive PJ20 related merch including a movie, soundtrack and hard cover book.

2012: Extended the PJ20 celebrations to Europe and played a few US festivals and show in Montana. Controversially played the Oracle event and created a stir by putting a made in China shirt in the 10c store.

2013: South America festival shows completed with two July shows to come and some kind of US tour to follow later. On the verge of releasing their 10th studio album.

Not the busiest band on the planet but with private lives and side projects they aren't exactly idle either. The quality of the shows are always open to debate but the two MSG shows are by no means the best thing in the last seven years although still great. If you give time to listen to the festivals some of them have been very good. We know they won't be doing huge tours which some people accept better than others and the anticipation for the quality of the new album is high right now. And they do continue to not only make every show and poster available through the store but constantly try new ways of making the boots sound better which has been hugely successful. Who are Pearl Jam today? Still the best live band around in their category and are now in classic band status with a countinuously growing fanbase which is getting younger. I don't get as excited as I used to either but come touring time I'll be like a kid at Christmas... 8-)
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    jumbojetjumbojet Posts: 1,484
    Nearer history of the band very well capped here. Almost as informative as PJ20 book. Thank you for this.
    veddertown wrote:
    Heavily discussed topic and like many posts on here I do know where you're coming from although don't share your opinion as such. Agree on Backspacer to an extent as it isn't on par with earlier releases but some people love it and it did help to turn another generation of fans on to them. I don't think they consider PJ anywhere near over and for me the side projects are what is probably keeping them together, you know the old cliche about "musical differences". Side projects help aleviate conflict in the studio when any indivdual brings something to different to the table. They know the importance of this and at the same time the projects get their ideas out to an audience to a good degree of success.

Since Avocado:

2006:
    Toured the album extensively with a lot of stunning shows, released all the shows and topped it off with the Immagine In Cornice DVD.

2007:
    Returned to play a difficult show in Denmark and showed that they can play festivals and still draw a huge audience. Did an amazing show at the Vic followed by a good Lolla show.

2008: Continued to play shows with no album to support and brought a lot of rarities into the setlists showing a fun side to the band.

2009: A handful of very good Euro shows including the tiny Shepherd's Bush show. Backspacer of course supported by small tours visiting East and West US and Aus/NZ. Four shows to close the Spectrum.

2010: Continued to tour in support of Backspacer with some amazing shows visiting more US cities and Europe including more festivals.

2011: PJ20 of course which some thought should really have been part of a larger US tour. Still it included Canadian and South American tours which both had a number of amazing shows. Extensive PJ20 related merch including a movie, soundtrack and hard cover book.

2012: Extended the PJ20 celebrations to Europe and played a few US festivals and show in Montana. Controversially played the Oracle event and created a stir by putting a made in China shirt in the 10c store.

2013: South America festival shows completed with two July shows to come and some kind of US tour to follow later. On the verge of releasing their 10th studio album.

Not the busiest band on the planet but with private lives and side projects they aren't exactly idle either. The quality of the shows are always open to debate but the two MSG shows are by no means the best thing in the last seven years although still great. If you give time to listen to the festivals some of them have been very good. We know they won't be doing huge tours which some people accept better than others and the anticipation for the quality of the new album is high right now. And they do continue to not only make every show and poster available through the store but constantly try new ways of making the boots sound better which has been hugely successful. Who are Pearl Jam today? Still the best live band around in their category and are now in classic band status with a countinuously growing fanbase which is getting younger. I don't get as excited as I used to either but come touring time I'll be like a kid at Christmas... 8-)
    What's your part, who you are?

2012: Arras, Berlin 1-2
    2013: Sao Paulo, Buenos Aires
    2014: Milano, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin
    2016: NY MSG 1
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 4,000
    What other band would let one of their hard core fans write a setlist (one of many times actually)
    Like the amazing Amsterdam 2 2012 show?

And after all my bitching, the 2011 and 2012 bootlegs have amazing sound quality.

Just my opinion.
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    They are a band that has nothing to prove. They don't even need to make another record as far as I'm concerned. If they were a shitty live band I may have walked long ago. They do their thing, we do ours and we meet up once in a while and just party for 3 hours. They are in a perfect place, I think they love knowing they have a hardcore following of faithful fans that will sellout pretty much any show and sing every lyric (or every guitar riff in Argentina 2011) from Release to YL. By them going out on their own side projects they refresh. Those average festivals are AMAZING shows to the casual fan that couldn't name their last 7 albums. And for what it's worth, Backspacer did get nominated for a Grammy in 2010 for 'Best Rock Album and Best Rock Song (The Fixer). They've done enough. Just keep coming around every few years like an old best friend from High School and lets let loose for a few hours.
    This guy said it perfectly!!
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Best hard rock band on the planet since Led Zeppelin.
    And they are still killing it.

Looking forward to new music and future shows. :!:
  • Options
    MASMAS Posts: 628
    "They do their thing, we do ours and we meet up once in a while and just party for 3 hours."

Well put.
  • Options
    DM213518DM213518 Posts: 117
    When my best buddy (nicknamed Coco)and I went to see pearl jam at Molson Ampitheatre (2009) he said it best "going to see Pearl Jam is like catching up with an old friend." I say the BEST BAND EVER!!!!
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    They just played the best show I've been to in Atlanta. They are men with families and other significant interests in their lives, but they clearly still love one another and put on magnificent shows. While they may not be in the state some of us want to see with 70 shows a tour and an album every other year, the boys are happy and doing what's best for them. I wouldn't want them to do otherwise. We underplay the fact we are getting a new album soon, a tour announcement, and bootlegs being released. I'm content with this. I understand many others are not, but I hear so much passion in the bootlegs from the last 3 years. These fellas will be around for a long time to come.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Hawaii
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    A better state than Nirvana and Alice In Chains are in these days.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Peacefrog1975Peacefrog1975 Posts: 718
    I have been a fan since '91 and goin to Pearl Jam shows since 4/8/1994. Albums never disappoint and the shows are always transcending. We are all blessed to be Alive to be a part of it all.
    Bring on the Fall tour and as always Thanks for the music guys!
    KC
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    They don't make a lot of new music anymore and they don't play a lot of shows together anymore. Anyone's guess is as good as mine as to why. I hope it changes but I'm not holding my breath. I just hope to see them quite a few more times, starting with Wrigley.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    i think if they recorded an album every year it would just be same as so i like the fact that they take there time and keep us hanging out there :D:D

soz if that doesnt make sense iv just got back from first festi of year and the brains abit frazzled :lol:
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    I think Pearl Jam are relevant as they were in the 90's, backspacer is a great album, one of my favourites. I've seen the band 3 times and every time I see them they get better. It's impossible to like every song , but there live shows show there not afraid to play any song. How many bands do this, most play it safe. Veddertown sums it up well, appealing to every generation of fans. Looking back in years to come there'll be recognised as one of the great bands. To see how important they are to there fans, watch the recent festival appearance in brazil on you tube, says it all.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    OP: Good question. Have been wondering the same thing lately. Pearl Jam does seem to have been more of a side project the past handful of years.

I sometimes think of the idea of the band in terms of a vehicle, say a car. In the early years PJ was the band members' chief mode of transportation. It's what got them places, they relied on it, nurtured it, challenged it to see just how fast it could actually go. That car in now a classic. It's parked in a garage. It's still looked after, the oil is changed when needed, and it's taken out for a spin on weekends, but, for the most part, it's something that only looked at and admired.

My frustration with that, and I think many fans would agree, is that there remains so much potential. The classic car that is Pearl Jam could blow the doors off most of the newer cars out there (hopefully that's about to happen with the new album 8-) ). Pearl Jam seem to have become the curators of Pearl Jam the museum/antique car. But, looking at the big picture, I'm simply thankful that they still drive the car and that we the fans still get to see it out on the road every once in a while.
  • Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,575
    jjflash wrote:
    OP: Good question. Have been wondering the same thing lately. Pearl Jam does seem to have been more of a side project the past handful of years.

I sometimes think of the idea of the band in terms of a vehicle, say a car. In the early years PJ was the band members' chief mode of transportation. It's what got them places, they relied on it, nurtured it, challenged it to see just how fast it could actually go. That car in now a classic. It's parked in a garage. It's still looked after, the oil is changed when needed, and it's taken out for a spin on weekends, but, for the most part, it's something that only looked at and admired.

My frustration with that, and I think many fans would agree, is that there remains so much potential. The classic car that is Pearl Jam could blow the doors off most of the newer cars out there (hopefully that's about to happen with the new album 8-) ). Pearl Jam seem to have become the curators of Pearl Jam the museum/antique car. But, looking at the big picture, I'm simply thankful that they still drive the car and that we the fans still get to see it out on the road every once in a while.

Very well put.
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    The last album, "Backspacer" did not fair well and has been generally rated lowest amongst fans yet seeing the band perform last fall was a great opportunity to watch a band that has both a wealth of accumulated experience combined with undying passion. That says a lot right there. I'm guessing the band takes to heart Neil Young's adage, "It's better to burn out than to fade away/than it is to rust", while managing to neither fade away nor rust. This is uncommon. Weather this will hold true for the future is to be seen. My guess is they will continue on as long as the passion for the music remains. I don't see this band turning to rust.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    veddertown wrote:

Since Avocado:

2006:

2007:

As always, Gary speaks the truth with honor and intelligence.

+1

*Starts Slow Clap*
  • Options
    smanchac1smanchac1 Posts: 2,256
    I think people are just mad because they haven't had a show near them in a while, that they could not get tickets for, gripe about, still attend, text the whole time, and then come back here to complain that insert rare song here wasnt played.

Damn I went to a pearl jam concert and they played alive and even flow WTF!!!????

(Did I really just say that? My patience must be wearing thin.)
  • Options
    LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    I don't have the time to do the research but I wonder what type of hiatus' bands like The Who, Rolling Stones and Uncle Neal have taken during their career.
  • Options
    Nevermind90Nevermind90 Posts: 722
    They are a band that has nothing to prove.

This.
    ~ Enjoy The Struggle
  • Options
    KimmiebyromKimmiebyrom Posts: 1,832
    They're doing it their way, as they always have.
    I don't always agree with their decisions, but continue to love what they put out.
    They are at their very, very best live.
    2003 Dallas
    2013 Wrigley
    2013 Dallas
    2013 Oklahoma City
    2013 Seattle

How I choose to feel is how I am.
    There's just one word I still believe...and it's LOVE.
    "Take care of one another..." -EV
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    jjflash wrote:

veddertown wrote:

Since Avocado:

2006:

2007:

Excellent posts.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 778
    Everyone needs to realize that we have to be extremely thankful the band is still together after all these years. Most bands with this much success and talent are lucky to even last a few years. Sure the band isn't touring as much, but they've been at it for so many years and have to do things to keep them fresh when it comes to PJ. Recently, Avocado was an amazing album...Backspacer not so much. But they have a new album coming out and an upcoming tour. So there is a lot to look forward to. All I can hope for is a lot more US shows and the continued longevity of the band.
  • Options
    The OracleThe Oracle Posts: 526
    They just played the best show I've been to in Atlanta. They are men with families and other significant interests in their lives, but they clearly still love one another and put on magnificent shows. While they may not be in the state some of us want to see with 70 shows a tour and an album every other year, the boys are happy and doing what's best for them. I wouldn't want them to do otherwise. We underplay the fact we are getting a new album soon, a tour announcement, and bootlegs being released. I'm content with this. I understand many others are not, but I hear so much passion in the bootlegs from the last 3 years. These fellas will be around for a long time to come.
    :clap: From what I've heard of the recent South American shows, they are playing as good as ever, Mike's solo in Even Flow in one of those shows as good is as he's ever done. The whole Santiago show is a killer, (or maybe because I listened live to it?). Can't wait for these official boots!
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    I feel blessed that they are still together and making music after all these years! :clap:

Even though I didn't "discover" them until 2010, I am grateful each day that I did, and that they are still recording and touring and obviously enjoying what they do! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    A better state than Nirvana and Alice In Chains are in these days.

Music wise......Alice in Chains is putting out better stuff than Pearl Jam right now.