Options

The State of Pearl Jam??

2»

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    edited May 2013
    UpSideDown wrote:
    A better state than Nirvana and Alice In Chains are in these days.

Music wise......Alice in Chains is putting out better stuff than Pearl Jam right now.

Of the Seattle bands, I always found Alice in Chains the most interesting from a musical perspective. I always liked their guitar tone and mixing.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    At a certain point all acts cease to make anything that is very good.
    The Stones - Dylan - Bruce - hell even Neil Young.

My personal believe is that music needs to be made from a place of raw emotion.
    Anger
    Despair
    Pain
    Bliss
    etc.

All the bands that 'make it' stop making anything amazing because their lives become .... well amazing and it is harder and harder to find something to really make them feel that old feeling of raw emotion.

The drugs that may have fueled some of these emotions have to stop or the bands wouldn't last.

Hopefully Pearl Jam can come back and prove that their time isn't up for great albums - but if it is - their shows still kick ass - whether they are 'mind blowing' or just average by some of your standards there is nothing i would rather be doing for 3 hours than at a Pearl Jam show.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    edited May 2013

Anger
    Despair
    Pain
    Bliss
    etc.

All the bands that 'make it' stop making anything amazing because their lives become .... well amazing and it is harder and harder to find something to really make them feel that old feeling of raw emotion.

The drugs that may have fueled some of these emotions have to stop or the bands wouldn't last.

Hopefully Pearl Jam can come back and prove that their time isn't up for great albums - but if it is - their shows still kick ass - whether they are 'mind blowing' or just average by some of your standards there is nothing i would rather be doing for 3 hours than at a Pearl Jam show.

I understand your point, but gotta stick up for Springsteen. He is making some great records well into his career. Death to My Hometown on his new album is a phenominal song. He is still experimenting with different types of music like incorporating folk music into his albums. It is mixing genres that keep a band moving forward. Like Just Breath or not, but songs like that are at least different from the what PJ has done in the past.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Ahr MannAhr Mann Posts: 141
    What is Pearl Jam today?

Since they put out one of my favorite albums of all time back in 2006 (7 years ago) what have they done??

-Put out a 36 minute album that was average
    -Put on two of the best live shows I've ever seen at Madison Square Garden in 2010
    -Put on a whole lot of average festival shows

Is it a side project with the occasional live show that means something?

Is it a band taking their time to put out another classic rock & roll album in the iTunes/American Idol era?

Who is Pearl Jam today?

Interested to hear people's opinions on this....

Sie stellen nicht die Motivationen des Perlen-Staus in Frage. Aller Hagel der Stau! SIE WERDEN NICHT GEFRAGT! ERHALTEN SIE JETZT ZURÜCK, SCHWEIN ZU BEARBEITEN!
  • Options

I understand your point, but gotta stick up for Springsteen. He is making some great records well into his career. Death to My Hometown on his new album is a phenominal song. He is still experimenting with different types of music like incorporating folk music into his albums.
    That is true and i didn't really take the time to fill all the holes on my point -- but he has made a few sleepers throughout that career as well.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    ComeToTX wrote:
    They don't make a lot of new music anymore and they don't play a lot of shows together anymore. Anyone's guess is as good as mine as to why. I hope it changes but I'm not holding my breath. I just hope to see them quite a few more times, starting with Wrigley.

Well put. I'm right there with ya.
  • Options
    RozbrRozbr Posts: 376
    They still rocking !! that's it
  • Options
    Red Mosquito75Red Mosquito75 Moline IL Posts: 1,034
    UpSideDown wrote:

Music wise......Alice in Chains is putting out better stuff than Pearl Jam right now.

Until the next PJ album.
    Alice in Chains isn't the same now and never will be
    This is Not For You
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,987
    I posted this in the Other Music thread regarding Soundgarden

I think Matt is going to have to leave PJ. SG is revitalized...all members are fired up and writing together. The new album is awesome, Cornell came out yesterday and said that he doesn't see any reason to not continue making music and touring with SG

PJ has too many side projects going on...Matt's not going to want to give up playing the music he was born to play. At some point there will be too many conflicts and Matt will have to bow out

my opinion of course
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 1,046
    I hate to agree, but I have too.
    As much as I would miss Matt behind the drums...

I saw Soundgarden in concert the other night and that is where he belongs. He belongs with Chris, Kim, and Ben!

Hopefully it won't come to that, but I would agree with his decision...
    :(
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,987
    So then I wonder......Jack Irons?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    UpSideDown wrote:

Have to disagree. The new "AIC" stuff is terrible. I couldn't even get through most it.
  • Options
    gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    MAS wrote:
    "They do their thing, we do ours and we meet up once in a while and just party for 3 hours."

Well put.

+1
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Abe Froman wrote:
    UpSideDown wrote:

Have to disagree. The new "AIC" stuff is terrible. I couldn't even get through most it.

AIC died with Layne. They will make music, but they will never be AIC again.
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,078
    stickfig13 wrote:
    AIC died with Layne. They will make music, but they will never be AIC again.
    Yup.
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Abe Froman wrote:
    UpSideDown wrote:

+1 Hanging on to that name is ridiculous. They aren't AIC anymore. They know they would never be able to hold up under another name.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,259
    Layne got into the drugs and basically killed off AIC for a very long time. I think his remaining bandmates (especially Jerry Cantrell) helped establish that band and the name. Establishing a band is not an easy thing to do. Not everyone gets to be Dave Grohl, and have two kicks at the can. If I passed away and was in band I wouldn't want to rob the hard work my friends did in establishing that band. It's basically saying it was ok that Layne's drug problems stole the livelihood of his bandmates. I think those guys were also Alice in Chains and have the right continue earning their living using that name. As a bonus I don't really see them having done anything to disrespect Layne by doing so.

AC/DC is probably the biggest band (and most successful) at dealing with this exact scenario. Bon Scott died (from drowning in his own vomit) and they motored on. Most people don't know who Brian Johnson is, but most people forget about Bon Scott when they see Brian Johnson perform with AC/DC. Are you going to tell AC/DC they can't use the name? lol.

The death of a musician shouldn't cost the rest of their band their livelihood.

Alternately I read a rumor on grungereport yesterday that said STP was shopping for a new singer. Even though Weiland is fuckup, I don't seem to agree with my above comments when the lead singer is away.

Even though you know the STP guys are in a similar boat. They've tried projects outside of STP (Talk Show and Army of Anyone) and haven't had success like STP. They also helped establish the brand. For some reason it complete irks me to try and replace the guy when he's still alive.

Edit: I can also see the other point of view. If anything ever happened to Eddie, I would completely reject any attempt to replace him.

Double Edit: Except for maybe that South American guy who does a wicked Eddie on youtube :)
  • Options
    CrookedTomCrookedTom Posts: 252

Anger
    Despair
    Pain
    Bliss
    etc.

Well I think it's pretty clear that Pearl Jam's Raw Emotion period was from 91-98 - Their first 5 albums, and all the quality B-Sides, unreleased stuff, was almost faultless. Much as I love the Binaural period it was a slight dip for them (song wise). From then on in, it's taken quite a dive.
  • Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,752
    Zod wrote:
    Layne got into the drugs and basically killed off AIC for a very long time. I think his remaining bandmates (especially Jerry Cantrell) helped establish that band and the name. Establishing a band is not an easy thing to do. Not everyone gets to be Dave Grohl, and have two kicks at the can. If I passed away and was in band I wouldn't want to rob the hard work my friends did in establishing that band. It's basically saying it was ok that Layne's drug problems stole the livelihood of his bandmates. I think those guys were also Alice in Chains and have the right continue earning their living using that name. As a bonus I don't really see them having done anything to disrespect Layne by doing so.

AC/DC is probably the biggest band (and most successful) at dealing with this exact scenario. Bon Scott died (from drowning in his own vomit) and they motored on. Most people don't know who Brian Johnson is, but most people forget about Bon Scott when they see Brian Johnson perform with AC/DC. Are you going to tell AC/DC they can't use the name? lol.

Alternately I read a rumor on grungereport yesterday that said STP was shopping for a new singer. Even though Weiland is fuckup, I don't seem to agree with my above comments when the lead singer is away.

Even though you know the STP guys are in a similar boat. They've tried projects outside of STP (Talk Show and Army of Anyone) and haven't had success like STP. They also helped establish the brand. For some reason it complete irks me to try and replace the guy when he's still alive.

Edit: I can also see the other point of view. If anything ever happened to Eddie, I would completely reject any attempt to replace him.

Double Edit: Except for maybe that South American guy who does a wicked Eddie on youtube :)

Jerry Cantrell was also the main songwriter for AIC through their first couple albums. I think Layne wrote their entire final album but Cantrell wrote a majority of the hits. Its his band, Layne just had that amazing voice. It'd be like if Eddie wrote the lyrics for 3 songs from Ten, 4 from Vs., 5 from Vitalogy and 11 from Backspacer, and Stone wrote the rest. If Eddie passed on, it'd still be Stone's band cause he wrote the majority of the "Good Stuff"
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Zod wrote:

Jerry Cantrell was also the main songwriter for AIC through their first couple albums. I think Layne wrote their entire final album but Cantrell wrote a majority of the hits. Its his band, Layne just had that amazing voice. It'd be like if Eddie wrote the lyrics for 3 songs from Ten, 4 from Vs., 5 from Vitalogy and 11 from Backspacer, and Stone wrote the rest. If Eddie passed on, it'd still be Stone's band cause he wrote the majority of the "Good Stuff"
    This^
    But all that said.... Layne started doing heroin at 14 years old!!! Seriously! And while he named the band, and provided killer vocals, it was ultimately Jerry's band.. As for PJ, my rule of thumb is.... It's Stone's band..he started it, designed, and created it... Pro-offerings aside... He's the only one allowed to fuck up PJ. But that's just me..