PJ Dog Collars in SHOP

Comments

• jh275312jh275312 Posts: 89
    Completely agree. The band should be embarrassed. Ed is a complete hypocrite complaining about greed, capitalism, consumerism over the years. When I see the things they are selling in the "shop" it is ridiculous. Beer holders, tote bags, dog collars ??? Wow!! What a joke.

Very sad.......
  • ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,075
    Actually Wilco's been selling dog collars for a while now. 35 bucks, but at least they're not leather.
  • I think I will stick with my dog's "The Who" bandana that I paid 6 bucks for.
    Toronto 06-28-2003
    09-19-2005
    05-09-2006
    09-11-2011
    London 07-16-2013
    Ottawa 05-08-2016
    record.gif
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    rockpants wrote:
    These are handmade.They won't be "pet store cheap" because they're not mass produced in China, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc. The person/people who are making them deserve fair compensation for their labour. Given how many ways the $40 USD (~£26 GBP) is likely to be split, it seems fair to me.

Exactly what I was going to say. Fair day's pay for a fair day's work!

Would be cool to get a belt with some of these designs.

Yep, everybody is for paying workers more until they themselves have to actually pay more for goods to fund those salaries. Then it is back to Wal-Mart.

So far there has been demand for all things Pearl Jam on here and from the fanbase. So a dog collar is not a stretch. The fanbase has made Pearl Jam less about music and more about goods (posters, shirts, vinyls, etc...). Pearl Jam is catering to the fanbase that wants to consume, consume, consume.... The fanbase are hypocrites.
  • Hawk JamHawk Jam Melbourne, Australia Posts: 121
    If people buy this it won't be the end of it

I'd prefer new music and Aussie tours thanks
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    rockpants wrote:
    These are handmade.They won't be "pet store cheap" because they're not mass produced in China, Taiwan, Malaysia, etc. The person/people who are making them deserve fair compensation for their labour. Given how many ways the $40 USD (~£26 GBP) is likely to be split, it seems fair to me.

Exactly what I was going to say. Fair day's pay for a fair day's work!

Would be cool to get a belt with some of these designs.

Yep, everybody is for paying workers more until they themselves have to actually pay more for goods to fund those salaries. Then it is back to Wal-Mart.

So far there has been demand for all things Pearl Jam on here and from the fanbase. So a dog collar is not a stretch. The fanbase has made Pearl Jam less about music and more about goods (posters, shirts, vinyls, etc...). Pearl Jam is catering to the fanbase that wants to consume, consume, consume.... The fanbase are hypocrites.

I won't be buying one but it doesn't bother me that they are selling them. Supply and demand is the cornerstone of the free market.

What does bother me is people complaining about price of hand made goods made in a Western country that looks after workers' rights, pay and conditions (and I'm no racist, good luck to Chinese and other workers - I hope they unionise and campaign for a fairer slice of the pie), but we all need to stand up and be willing to pay a fair price for items rather than buy the cheaper imports (often made by exploited workers/slaves).

There used to be an old saying, buy locally and buy your kids a job. Seems a bit rich to me for people to complain about offshoring of labour when they refuse to support companies that pay a fair rate of pay to their workers, provide them fair entitlements and just working hours. Eventually it will be their jobs that go.

And while I'm at it... the American minimum wage is a disgrace.
    Hawk Jam wrote:
    If people buy this it won't be the end of it

I'd prefer new music and Aussie tours thanks

And ditto :)
    jh275312 wrote:
    Completely agree. The band should be embarrassed. Ed is a complete hypocrite complaining about greed, capitalism, consumerism over the years. When I see the things they are selling in the "shop" it is ridiculous. Beer holders, tote bags, dog collars ??? Wow!! What a joke.

Very sad.......

Ever thought they are supporting sometimes struggling industries by giving them a market and collectable branding to sell their wares, thus keeping people employed and financially stable?

No-one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy this stuff, but if the lust of collectors keeps the collectors happy and a number of workers employed and their families better off - I'm all for it.
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    The ethics of the band were one of the reasons I have been such a giant fan. For me it was always more than just the music. Now we have more excessive garbage products, and these made from the skin of factory farmed animals....it's just disappointing. They are losing me. It was bound to happen I suppose. The good thing is my bank account won't be taking as big a hit anymore.
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I wonder if this would sell better as Pearl Jam BDSM wear?
    I'd buy it.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,507
    I think I may do it for my dog..

idk tho.. $40 is a bit much

No Code and Backspacer are nice

Don't do it! Don't support the ridiculousness.
  • DURPDURP OhighO Posts: 2,180
    Can I please get a pair of Pearl Jam pj pants now?
    My butt itches!
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    How cool is Pilate going to look in this & like most others i was a bit surprised at the price but i haven't seen my boy in 18 months & will finally see him in July. Nothing else matters but seeing my boy again & he surely will Obey Listen Kiss & Love when we see each other again.
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • High Fidelity 2000High Fidelity 2000 New Mexico USA Posts: 4,435
    If enough people keep talking about how flat out STUPID Pearl Jam dog collars are ($40 or not... But it is $40), will they go the same way as Barack Around the Clock? Disappear in three days and pretend it never existed? I kinda hope so, but I know they won't... Because Barack Around the Clock was free and these have some kind of profit margin...
    ABQ 93, Las Cruces 95, ABQ 98, Bridge School 10/30/99, Lubbock 00, ABQ 00, Denver 03, State College 03, San Diego 03, Vegas 03, PHX 03, D.C. 03, Camden 7/5/03, NYC 7/8/03 + 7/9/03, Vegas 06, San Francisco 7/15/06 + 7/16/06 + 7/18/06, Kansas City 10, EV:ABQ 11/6/12, Chicago 13, PHX 13, Denver 14--PJ24!, Telluride 16, Chicago 8/20/16, Chicago 8/18/18, Denver 20, Phoenix 20

New Mexico Pearl Jam Fans (New Mexico, USA) on Facebook!
  • Soulfire42Soulfire42 Posts: 404
    For fuck's sake...

A $40 dog collar that still needs shipping added? Are you serious?

This is about two times as much as it cost me to see Pearl Jam perform the first time I saw them at Red Rocks.

Others have nailed this issue on the head... you can literally go adopt a dog from the shelter for this price. Time to refocus and to come up with a totally different strategy for merchandise than this, folks. I'm shaking my head in disbelief and disgust on this one.
  • radarradar Posts: 767

my two cents.
    i don't agree that it is the "fanbase fault" and it made Pearl Jam care less about music and more about goods.
    if there WOULD BE ANY NEW MUSIC AVALIABLE the fanbase would stick to it.
    I agree we really want to CONSUME, but we would love to CONSUME MUSIC. unfortunatelly, there is no MUSIC supply at this point. why? the demand is even bigger as in case of other stuff - look at many threads aboud releasing some vinyls, music vault etc. Why is'nt that demand satisfied wiht a proper supply?
    is'nt the band supposed to focus on playing music instead of selling dog collars. I would'nt mind paying high ticket prices and consume some live shows. this is all about it.
    Im a fan (of music). Im not hypocrite
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    Parksy wrote:
    Pearl Jam AND/OR 10C have sold out. No doubt in my mind anymore.

I shouldn't have to cite all the ridiculous items they've put for sale and the IMO high costs of membership. We all know how gross it's been.

But I do want to quote a thread of emails between me and 10C back in Sept. I think:

Original Email: (verbatim with name removed)

[> Greetings;
    >
    > If I'm reading correctly... 10C has now made available as a re-release the PJ20 documentary with the previously exclusive bonus content on 3-discs.
    >
    > And it's $39.99.
    >
    > How is this release different from the supposed 'limited edition' PJ20 with the 'exclusive content' that I bought a year ago for $59.99?
    >
    > I just wanted some clarification because I have to admit... I feel like a total sucker right now. I never thought I would experience something like this from 10C.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > ]

10C response: (verbatim)

[Content is identical, packaging is different.
    10c]

My response: (verbatim)

[Ok,

Why the $20.00 difference?

Thanks,

]

10C Response: (verbatim)

[packaging costs for the reissue are $20 less than the original package.

10c]

^

That's just to give an idea of the FACT that Pearl Jam don't seem to care anymore about saving any of their fans money. And the grandest shame of it all is that the members of the band genuinely come off as regular blue-collared folk who seem or SEEMED to care back in the day.

It's true... people do have the CHOICE to purchase whatever they want.

But regardless of that fact, it shows bad taste that 10C are willing to go forward these money-grabbing tactics.

As per the above email.. I truly DO NOT BELIEVE that the packaging was $20.00 difference per unit. And in the insane chance that it is true... KNOWING that.. why would 10C add on $20.00 per unit TO THE FAN... just for a different package that is in NO WAY worth $20.00.

To some of the other posters in this topis... YES... it would be nice to see that 10C is doing something or putting some money towards an animal shelter or something like that.

dude it seems plausible that the packaging was a different cost. Those boxes were custom made, the news ones are a generic regular package.

im pretty sure they wouldnt lie to you, and $20 isnt so much. The first release is till a collectors item, and holds its value still way above the second so no one really lost out.
    Groundhog day here on the porch.

theres 12 pages here that Im sure i read a few months ago and a few months before that.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    pdalowsky wrote:
    Groundhog day here on the porch.

theres 12 pages here that Im sure i read a few months ago and a few months before that.
    i was thinking that always happens this with the fuckin merch..
    when we talk about music,shows,songs...need a month to get so many pages..
    but for fuckin merch..need hours..

i wish the mods move all the merch threads to lost dog forum..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    dude it seems plausible that the packaging was a different cost. Those boxes were custom made, the news ones are a generic regular package.
    im pretty sure they wouldnt lie to you, and $20 isnt so much.
    Of course the limited edition packaging was more expensive.
    But there is no way the difference is $20.

As for this dog shit:
    I don't have a problem with the fact that 10-C is selling this stuff.
    If they think there is some demand for this, why not?
    There are enough PJ fans who like and buy everything the band releases, no matter if they 'really' like it.
    What I have a problem with is that they should release stuff the fans really want before selling stuff like this.
    What about the Benaroya Hall Vinyl?
    There is a huge demand for this baby, why don't they release a second edition?
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    pdalowsky wrote:

As for this dog shit:
    There are enough PJ fans who like and buy everything the band releases, no matter if they 'really' like it.
    What I have a problem with is that they should release stuff the fans really want before selling stuff like this.
    i agree about vinyl..
    why not reissue all the album at vinyl??or even the backpack is usefull,laptop bags,we all gonna use one..
    i dont care what they sell or how much...i dont have a clue how much a leather handmade collar costs in the market..and i dont care to compare....i found that dog collar funny,laughing was my first reaction
    im not gonna buy them,i dont need them,+i found them ugly...
    maybe a binaural would look cool...anyway...in the end,is for people have dogs and want to put a collar on them...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
    edited April 2013
    pdalowsky wrote:

As for this dog shit:

whilst your sentiment rings true,

consider the gripes over the dvd being reissued (after a hefty petition on the forum asking them to) and consider why they would want to go into that again on a prestigious item like the benny vinyl.

the shit storm from what ever angle it ccomes from would be horrendous. Im sure they dont fancy voluntarily signing up to that.
    Post edited by pdalowsky on
  • pdalowsky wrote:
    consider the gripes over the dvd being reissued (after a hfty pretition on the forum asking them to) and consider why they would want to go into that again on a prestigious item like the benny vinyl.
    the shit storm from what ever angle it ccomes from would be horrendous. Im sure they dont fancy voluntarily signing up to that.
    You're right, there will definitely be some people complaining, but the huge majority would celebrate the day Benaroya Hall is re-issued on Vinyl!
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    pdalowsky wrote:

As for this dog shit:

whilst your sentiment rings true,

consider the gripes over the dvd being reissued (after a hfty pretition on the forum asking them to) and consider why they would want to go into that again on a prestigious item like the benny vinyl.

They'll just sell dog collars and face that ridicule instead. Really have to question who makes the decisions on merch with Pearl Jam now.
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
    I also get the incredulous response to dog collars, but the fact remains, no one has to buy one.

From seeing stuff on facebook the last 24 hours it seems there has been a shit load sold. so There was obvious demand for them, people see them as fun, and the price didnt detract.

personally i didnt really like them too much, the ten one was ok but from the photos im not sure they would hold my Lab when hes wanting to sniff a nice ladies dogs ass that is about 6 ft away.

Im able to buy a sturdy leather one here for around £5. and whilst that doesnt have any art work on it, and hence obviously cheaper it looks great so I dont need a PJ one. Have to admit if it was cheaper i would probably crack and buy one like (like you would for your Cats Ian ) because im weak....but I cant justify this cost especially given the way it is now will result in a customs whack on top and i just cant pay £40 for a collar for my hound.

But people are, so to be honest, questionning the people making the decisions would seem odd. They are making the band money and probably lots of it.
  • IamTomIamTom Posts: 1,138
    Coming soon....

Evacuation loo roll.

Daughter adoption service.

Force of Nature- PJ rambling group. Boom's your guide

Given To Fly private jet hire.

Rocking in the Free World borrowing service.

Alive pension plans.

Just Breath meditation classes.

Breath private ambulance.

SOLAT marriage guidance counselling.

Unthought Known hypnotherapy.

Off He Goes travel agents.

Lukin opticians.

The End undertakers.
    Given To Live -

Latest story - Declan at Slipknot is up on the website now at www.giventolive.com along with Kayleigh at Foo Fighters, Tony at Stereophonics and more.

Inspired by Pearl Jam, making live music dreams come true.
  • radarradar Posts: 767
    IamTom wrote:
    Coming soon....
    and some cool stuff from Backspacer's tortoise shell
  • IrishGuyIrishGuy Posts: 258
    So, we will soon have PJ the brand instead of Pearl Jam the band.
    How long before we see people walking around in PJ tracksuits, wearing PJ shoes, drinking PJ beer, carrying PJ bags, etc, etc, and they won't even know that it refers to a band?

Seems like a chapter out of "No Logo". Its all about the brand.
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    the no code ones are sharp!

But $40 plus shipping is too steep for me right now.

Plus I have 2 dogs and I dont want to show favorites
    MayDay10 wrote:
    the no code ones are sharp!

But $40 plus shipping is too steep for me right now.

Plus I have 2 dogs and I dont want to show favorites

which is your favourite?