Customary Greetings

RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
Just thought of this...are you a handshake person, a hugging person, or a kiss on the face person, or....?

Usually, I am a handshake person-when meeting someone for the first time, but when meeting people from the boards, I am a hugging person. I have found that most PJ people are hugging people...unless they are from Seattle. :lol: (there was a serious discussion about this)

What type of person are you when meeting a person from the boards, or in general?
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    edited December 2012
    handshake...
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    typically a cold, blank stare will suffice
  • Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    I am definitely a hugging person. I find that most people are okay with it even upon first meeting. The only time I do the handshake is in a professional situation where I haven't met someone before.
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • 81 wrote:
    handshake...

+1 The kiss on the cheek, hug thing is quite uncomfortable for me.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:
    handshake...

and the bro hug is a huge :nono:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    dfdea099-8232-4d28-8107-f8d15ef53952.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    jimed14 wrote:
    dfdea099-8232-4d28-8107-f8d15ef53952.jpg

It's settled, from now on I hug every soul I meet. And if necessary, freeze them in carbonite.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • 81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    handshake...

I can do a bro hug only if at least 5 years has passed since our last meeting.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Depends how hot they are. I mean when I met Truck in Montana I gave him a kiss. True story.

:nono:

i won't even hug my real brothers...

i won't hug my college buddy

i defiantly will not hug a dude i just met.

i don't even like hugging women, unless i've known them for a while.....unless they have nice boobs.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:
    Depends how hot they are. I mean when I met Truck in Montana I gave him a kiss. True story.

:lol::lol::lol: He seems like the type that has a sense of humor and would go along with it!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Terrorist fist jab.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol::lol::lol: He seems like the type that has a sense of humor and would go along with it!

Oh he went along with it. It was when he tried to reciprocate my kiss things got a little awkward. :?
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    81 wrote:

i don't even like hugging women, unless i've known them for a while.....unless they have nice boobs.

noted...hugs from me + 81 = :nono:
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    81 wrote:

manboobs must really throw you for a loop then.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:
    handshake...

next time, give him a reach around, he won't try that again
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,589
    Interesting question & responses.

Handshake until I know them better and then I go by their rules as long as it is not uncomfortable. If you are a hugging person you get a hug. If you are a handshake person you get a handshake.

Personally, I would leave it as a handshake unless I am very close to the person but I like to make people feel comfortable. (Within the limits!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    RKCNDY wrote:
    81 wrote:

noted...hugs from me + 81 = :nono:

you are the rare exeption to the rule....
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:

Oh he went along with it. It was when he tried to reciprocate my kiss things got a little awkward. :?

:lol::lol: You asked for it!
    81 wrote:

men get handshakes...no confusion there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,211
    81 wrote:
    81 wrote:

men get handshakes...no confusion there.

What about after a long night of drinkin, still no hugs!? ha

btw, on a side note, if I get another dead fish handhskae form a muscle head dude, Im gonna drop your ass. Shake like you mean it.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
    What about after a long night of drinkin, still no hugs!? ha

good night handshake
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    and what's with you guys that don't like hugs from the ladies? (I already know about 81...) but what about the others?

BTW, I like the greeting RYEzupSF and I have going on. 8-)

- Christopher McCandless
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind wrote:
    Terrorist fist jab.
    :mrgreen:

I grew up in a culture where it was customary to do the double-cheek kiss upon greeting...not so much a fan of that these days (and reminds me of that Seinfeld).

Professional setting? Handshake.

Someone I'm close to (even if only knowing them online initially and then moving to offline)? Hug. Maybe a kiss...it depends.

An aside - I always found it funny how guys typically do the quick-hug-couple-of-pats-on-the-back thing. I was gonna dub it the "Tony Soprano", but he kissed alot of his crew too.

My favorites are the big ol' bearhugs. My dad was a pro at those!
  • jasonjason Posts: 468
    Handshake to start with but if we hang out during or after the show, then a hug. Unless you are super hot or really cool, then you get a slap on the ass as if you just scored a touchdown! Then we are golden!!
    RKCNDY wrote:
    and what's with you guys that don't like hugs from the ladies? (I already know about 81...) but what about the others?

BTW, I like the greeting RYEzupSF and I have going on. 8-)

oh, I like the hugs from the ladies. :mrgreen:

and a little tongue action never hurts too
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    alcohol has everything to do with this.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

:lol::lol: You asked for it!

You're right. I was drinking and I think I may have led him on. :fp:
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    I raise my eyebrow like Mr Spock and the give them the Vulcan salute.
  • SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    81 wrote:

:nono:

i won't even hug my real brothers...

i won't hug my college buddy

i defiantly will not hug a dude i just met.

Sounds like somebody needs a hug

hug1.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"