Options

Here's the REAL REASON for new PJ album being ON HOLD.

TT8270TT8270 Posts: 429
edited November 2012 in The Porch
KING ANIMAL.

Pearl Jam basically got scared on how brilliant the new Soundgarden record is (they have heard it well in advance). And realised how mediocre & boring their records since Yield have become.

I mean, come on. After 16 years of absence Soundgarden simply KILLS.

Pearl Jam truly needs a good hard kick on their butt to make another BRILLIANT record again. And I do (or did) like the band, I just think they got LAZY along the way and last 4 records have been kinda meh. :problem:

Here's the original news link:
http://audioinkradio.com/2012/08/pearl- ... s-members/
134xxx
Soundgarden - 1996-10-15
Pearl Jam - 2000-06-30
Fugazi - 2000-10-10
The Mars Volta - 2003-03-24
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Some of the lyrics on King Animal are a bit cheesy. Hopefully they will learn from that.
    Straight down the center for a hot chicken dinner!
  • Options
    "In the age of darkness
    want to be enlightened"
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I wouldn't be able to listen to the Soundgarden album, that fella's voice
    is not for me.
    Eddie could sing the phone book and I'd be happy.

I think the real reason is the guys working on solo projects. Yes?
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Stoke-on-Trent Posts: 2,853
    That's the real reason? Good job they don't share a drummer, otherwise we're fucked!
    Manchester 04.06.00, Leeds 25.08.06, Wembley 18.06.07, Dusseldorf 21.06.07, Shepherds Bush 11.08.09, Manchester 17.08.09, Adelaide 17.11.09, Melbourne 20.11.09, Sydney 22.11.09, Brisbane 25.11.09, MSG1 20.05.10, MSG2 21.05.10, Dublin 22.06.10, Belfast 23.06.10, London 25.06.10, Long Beach 06.07.11 (EV), Los Angeles 08.07.11 (EV), Toronto 11.09.11, Toronto 12.09.11, Ottawa 14.09.11, Hamilton 14.09.11, Manchester 20.06.12, Manchester 21.06.12, Amsterdam 26.06.2012, Amsterdam 27.06.2012, Berlin 04.07.12, Berlin 05.07.12, Stockholm 07.07.12, Oslo 09.07.12, Copenhagen 10.07.12, Manchester 28.07.12 (EV), Brooklyn 18.10.13, Brooklyn 19.10.13, Philly 21.10.13, Philly 22.10.13, San Diego 21.11.13, LA 23.11.13, LA 24.11.13, Oakland 26.11.13, Portland 29.11.13, Spokane 30.11.13, Calgary 02.12.13, Vancouver 04.12.13, Seattle 06.12.13, Trieste 22.06.14, Vienna 25.06.14, Berlin 26.06.14, Stockholm 28.06.14, Leeds 08.07.14, Philly 28.04.16, Philly 28.04.16, MSG1 01.05.16, MSG2 02.05.16
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,355
    TT8270 wrote:
    ... last 4 records have been kinda meh. :problem:

Thanks for the link. New McCready side-project or does the "messenger" refer to the Above reissue?

Binaural & Riot Act are m :eh: :?: Come on... No way...
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    TT8270 wrote:
    KING ANIMAL.

I just think they got LAZY along the way and last 4 records have been kinda meh. :problem:

Yeah, LAZY getting married and raising kids.
  • Options
    pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    Eraserhead wrote:
    That's the real reason? Good job they don't share a drummer, otherwise we're fucked!

:lol:
    aqo2t.jpg
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,606
    umm, no.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,559
    TT8270 wrote:
    KING ANIMAL.

Pearl Jam basically got scared on how brilliant the new Soundgarden record is (they have heard it well in advance). And realised how mediocre & boring their records since Yield have become.

Pearl Jam truly needs a good hard kick on their butt to make another BRILLIANT record again. And I do (or did) like the band, I just think they got LAZY along the way and last 4 records have been kinda meh. :problem:

Your opinion of the Soundgarden record may be impacted by the fact that they haven't released a new album in 16 years. If they had released 5 albums since that date, you may be calling this album reduntant and begging them to try something new. Maybe not, but I think as long as Soundgarden played some loud guitars and Cornell screamed this record was guaranteed to be loved by the Soundgarden fans.

I'm not saying the new album is bad, just saying that any Soundgarden album released after 16 years would be well received.
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,023
    So it's not really Stone's fault this time around? :shock:
  • Options
    djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    :fp:
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • Options
    MangoMango Brisbane, Australia (via Dublin, Ireland) Posts: 1,049
    demetrios wrote:

LOL niiiiiice :lol::lol::lol:

20+ years in the business I don't think the guys get "scared" of any new album. They aren't competing with anyone but their own high standards. And I can honestly say, hand on heart, not a word of a lie, is that whenever the new album comes out... I will spin that a hell of a lot more than King Animal.

Cornell shouts too much for me. Small doses. Pearl Jam, all fucking day :twisted:
    "Life comes from within your heart and desire"
  • Options
    I havent spun the new soundgarden record yet. But, Id bet money its better than anything these sellouts PJ have or will ever put out again...
  • Options
    ok all of you are saying crazy shit.

pj is not scared.
    albums since yield have been great... backspacer solid
    however..

king animal is unreal.
    because of loud guitars and screams? no

lots of experimentation, psychedelic elements, crazy time signatures, and incredible vocals.
    these are elements of king animal and all other sg albums

while i disagree about pj releasing weak albums... it is time to step it up and experiment. backspacer was safe. so was avocado but avocado was still phenomenal for whatever reason. i for one DO HOPE they take a bit of influence from this and say damn let's change it up now. king animal buries backspacer, i hate to say it.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    I havent spun the new soundgarden record yet. But, Id bet money its better than anything these sellouts PJ have or will ever put out again...

errr your a memeber here why ?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,655
    TT8270 wrote:
    KING ANIMAL.

Yeah... I think this is mind-blowingly idiotic, and pretty troll-like, but hey, we all have a right to an opinion and to be stupid.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I can't wait til this King Animal hype dies down. It's a solid album, and I'm happy to hear that they haven't forgot how to sound like Soundgarden, but it's just not this amazing album that's even comparable to their previous work.

May be on par with a few of PJ's most recent albums, but no way in hell does it approach the greatness of Binaural and I'd really struggle to rank it ahead of S/T or Riot Act.

I hope it does give PJ a little push to make an album that sounds like PJ again. Backspacer was kinda generic and really lacked that signature PJ sound.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    I've only listened to King Animal once but I would hard-pressed to name you one song I really liked. The whole thing sounded a bit generic with each song sounding a little bit like the last. Not crazy about it.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    I beg to differ, every PJ album is special... :o
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,467
    TT8270 wrote:
    KING ANIMAL.

Seriously??? Not another "Please make another Ten" thread?
  • Options
    DP13DP13 Posts: 269
    The real reason they haven't had time to record a new album, is because EVERYONE'S loved one is about to croak from something or other, and they have to learn obscure songs to play for them in concert.
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    DP13 wrote:
    The real reason they haven't had time to record a new album, is because EVERYONE'S loved one is about to croak from something or other, and they have to learn obscure songs to play for them in concert.
    :lol: That's pretty good.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options

No.
    Makes me ache, makes me shake...
    ...is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,355
    demetrios wrote:

:lol:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Remind me what the FAKE REASON was again?
  • Options
    marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    It's a good record but my taste is more toward PJ records. All the technical and over produced guitars get a little boring if there's no content that I can relate to for me.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    edited November 2012
    ;p
    Post edited by Fahka on
  • Options
    I haven't posted in a long time..

now i haven't heard the new Album, but the new song is as good as Ole which is bad..

so maybe they both need to step up :)
    FUCK! if you only hear what you wanna hear...
    http://www.myspace.com/mrmojorisinca
  • Options
    JimmyV wrote:
    I've only listened to King Animal once but I would hard-pressed to name you one song I really liked. The whole thing sounded a bit generic with each song sounding a little bit like the last. Not crazy about it.

Agreed. Actually, after only a couple listens...I think the album kinda blows. But I'm going to give it some time to grow on me. All I hear is a wall of noise really.

As for PJ. I'm hoping for new material to sound a little more like Of The Earth rather than Backspacer and Ole. Even though OTE was penned back during the Riot Act days??
    "Change don't come at once. It's a wave. Building...before it breaks."
  • Options
    oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    Some of the lyrics on King Animal are a bit cheesy. Hopefully they will learn from that.

I wholeheartedly agree.

"Halfway There" comes to mind.