Jeff interview: "Pearl Jam has no plans right now for 2013"

124»

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    No matter what happens next year, Pearl Jam is still at least a semi-active band and still quite important to their fans. I mean, how many other bands can you name that still attract as much interest as PJ and have fan sites with 4,678,966 posts? And that number has surely gone up in the time it took my to type this one. :thumbup:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    Sounds like we are in for a long wait for a new album so i am glad there is a new Soundgarden album to get in & the re release of limited edition of PJ20 which i missed out on last year. Good things come to those who wait!
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    BALLBOY wrote:
    Sounds like we are in for a long wait for a new album so i am glad there is a new Soundgarden album to get in & the re release of limited edition of PJ20 which i missed out on last year. Good things come to those who wait!

and wait and wait and wait and wait
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,381
    BALLBOY wrote:

+1
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    I'm still pretending that this never happened.
  • I guess I missed the part where it was a given that they had to tour and play shows every year. Like it would be surprising if they took a year off from touring or something.

Touring for this band, at least since about 1990, has always been sporadic.

Put another way: If you could feasibly take a year (or more) off from your job to hang out with your kids or whatever, wouldn't you? I mean, I have my dream job -- pretty much the exact job I wanted since I was about 10 -- but if someone told me tomorrow I could take a year off with no financial repercussions, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No joke.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    I guess I missed the part where it was a given that they had to tour and play shows every year. Like it would be surprising if they took a year off from touring or something.

Put another way: If you could feasibly take a year (or more) off from your job to hang out with your kids or whatever, wouldn't you? I mean, I have my dream job -- pretty much the exact job I wanted since I was about 10 -- but if someone told me tomorrow I could take a year off with no financial repercussions, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

No joke.

Completely agree
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    its over kids...move on with thee lives

this isn't a band anymore...pearl jam itself is a "side project"
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    its over kids...move on with thee lives

this isn't a band anymore...pearl jam itself is a "side project"

Sad, but true.
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    The band will be playing shows in the States next year.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • bgirl59bgirl59 Tucson AZ Posts: 888
    boyo79 wrote:
    I guess I missed the part where it was a given that they had to tour and play shows every year. Like it would be surprising if they took a year off from touring or something.

No joke.

Completely agree

Yeah - reluctantly - I agree too...besides, now I can save up for a really nice Pearl Jam trip in 2014.......ok, that sounded better in my head :fp: ...I miss you already!
    PEARL JAM in 2024! Dark Matter and MORE ! THANK YOU!!   
    Peace Love & Pearl Jam forever!!
  • 100 Pacer wrote:

You are right: Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, New Jersey, LA, and San Fran. Pretty sad.

I think the overriding desire for all is not more shows, but actually new music. If they release an album in 2013, it will be 4 years since Backspacer. 4 years.

I will be honest, they are merely going through the motions now. They captured something with the Binaural record and set themselves up as a very mature rock band that cared about what they did. Now, not so much. Sure, they have a grand time playing....when they play. The output on Backspacer was pretty awful and Self-Titled seemed over-thought. While Riot Act wasn't stellar, it had a true PJ vibe to it. If this next record, if it ever does come out, has "a couple of ballads, some fast punky stuff, and then a few mid-tempo things" on it, then they are truly done as a band. If they put out more dreck like Ole, then I will call it quits.

My .02 cents.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,588
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    100 Pacer wrote:

You are right: Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, New Jersey, LA, and San Fran. Pretty sad.

I think the overriding desire for all is not more shows, but actually new music. If they release an album in 2013, it will be 4 years since Backspacer. 4 years.

I will be honest, they are merely going through the motions now. They captured something with the Binaural record and set themselves up as a very mature rock band that cared about what they did. Now, not so much. Sure, they have a grand time playing....when they play. The output on Backspacer was pretty awful and Self-Titled seemed over-thought. While Riot Act wasn't stellar, it had a true PJ vibe to it. If this next record, if it ever does come out, has "a couple of ballads, some fast punky stuff, and then a few mid-tempo things" on it, then they are truly done as a band. If they put out more dreck like Ole, then I will call it quits.

My .02 cents.

Two hundredths of a cent isn't very much. Don't sell yourself short.
  • Hey friends. I didn't have time to read through all of the replies on this thread, so forgive me if I am making points that have already been made.

I tried to provide a bit of context in the "no plans" snippet posting but just to clarify, Jeff didn't say there won't be an album next year and he didn't say there won't be any Pearl Jam activity. When I interviewed him, which was in October, he said the band has no plans for 2013. I'm sure once Soundgarden completes its tour and PJ gets back into the studio then there will be a record at some point next year and a tour as well. Here's the full interview in case you all want to give it a look:

http://www.guerrillacandy.com/tag/jeff-ament-interview/
    "Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"
    http://www.guerrillacandy.com
  • boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    travhay wrote:
    Hey friends. I didn't have time to read through all of the replies on this thread, so forgive me if I am making points that have already been made.

I tried to provide a bit of context in the "no plans" snippet posting but just to clarify, Jeff didn't say there won't be an album next year and he didn't say there won't be any Pearl Jam activity. When I interviewed him, which was in October, he said the band has no plans for 2013. I'm sure once Soundgarden completes its tour and PJ gets back into the studio then there will be a record at some point next year and a tour as well. Here's the full interview in case you all want to give it a look:

http://www.guerrillacandy.com/tag/jeff-ament-interview/

Thanks for the clarity. From the interview I thought exactly what you have said above but obviously some people take it as PJ are doing nothing! I think alot of people are hanging on the interview Kelly Curtis gave where he said Pearl Jam will be touring in 2013. so Jeff's interview sort of contradicts that in a way. My personal view is what Jeff said, they'll all get together in Springtime and sort out what they want to do for 2013 and thats fine with me!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/