Options

Jeff interview: "Pearl Jam has no plans right now for 2013"

Comments

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    you just have to learn to roll with it and be happy they are still a band at all.

Definitely. I treat every Pearl Jam show I go as it could be the last time I see them. Cos they could just do an REM at anytime and call it quits. And then we'd be truly gutted!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723
    Tboz51 wrote:
    I am glad they are waiting too. I hope they give us a Backspacer 2 and tour every festival and maybe even some shows in China next year, do some stuff for the Apple employees? Take in the Great Wall of China and play the Apple plant.

I'd love to hear Just Breath (Some more), The End (extended), Amongst the Breaking Water in the Ocean..... I love love love Backspacer and hope for something along those lines.

It's time this band extend the branches of shows to some of those countries with lots of money and lots of big corporate head quarters like Iran (some of the largest spam organizations on earth), Saudi Arabia (all those beaches), Ethiopia (play some diamond mines, shoot maybe get paid in diamonds??), Sun City Africa, I hear that place has really come around.

Oh well, just my thoughts. Can't wait to see what 2013 has to offer???

that's some funny shit right there, thanks for about 2 mins of laughing, my wife is like are you watching the daily show again. :lol::lol::lol:
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options

I agree. I think though, that out of respect to fans, they could maybe add a week or two onto a tour. Instead of thinking "We can play 13 shows to get the net cash flow we are looking for", they should say "We need to play 13 shows to get the net cash flow we are looking for, but lets play 22 shows to hit more cities so more of our fans can see us without having to fly or drive long distances."

I think like any business, clients and customers are important and deserve respect. That the band has played 1 show in Texas since 2003 is flat out disrespectful.

ok, I know this is going to come off as one of those posts by someone who thinks that band can do no wrong, but I'm not that guy. But I honestly don't believe that the band owes anyone anything. it's not disrespectful if the band doesn't play somewhere for a while. we're not shareholders. we get something in return for buying their music.

they played here in 1993. not again until 2005. never once did I begrudge them for this. why? because canada is a huge place with only a fraction of the places to play in compared to the US and Europe.

I really don't believe that they play for money, this example of playing 13 shows to get net cash. these guys don't need any money at all, as far as we know. I really honestly believe they still love doing what they do, otherwise they'd say "screw it".
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    We're pretty much seeing Pearljam in the final stages... Sitting back earning dough and enjoying life. PJ is Rolling Stones,Led zeppelin,Aerosmith. legendary status... Why tour or rush out an album ?
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    We're pretty much seeing Pearljam in the final stages... Sitting back earning dough and enjoying life. PJ is Rolling Stones,Led zeppelin,Aerosmith. legendary status... Why tour or rush out an album ?

Let's all hope PJ doesn't become a joke like those bands. I'd rather see them be like R.E.M. than be like those bands.

Maybe they really are cutting back on touring cause they wanna be around their families. Who could really blame them?? They owe us nothing and have no left to prove. I bitch bout them not touring cause I feel they still have it and are just wasting it on being with their families and all. When the band wants to get back on that PJ wagon, I'll do the same and until then I'll go see artist I like or discover new ones.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    County Fairs!

I don't know who on the board said it but I'll quote it, "Hey baby, hold my corn dog, they're playing Jeremy!"
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    evenflow82 wrote:
    County Fairs!

I don't know who on the board said it but I'll quote it, "Hey baby, hold my corn dog, they're playing Jeremy!"

Actually, that was Ed from an interview in Spin Magazine in 2009 and because I'm a total nerd, I've got the whole quote: :D

"And I feel like if we were a niche band, then we'd have our little thing now and that would be fine. But we're bigger than that. I think these songs are worth hearing. And it's not like the airwaves are cluttered with the greatest music. What -- if we don't do it, American Idol will? A lot of what we're doing now is about getting new ranks of kids coming in, and not just playing for old people all the time."

Because then you're Foghat at the state fair.

"Right. Which is great, too, 'cause it's Foghat, and we're at the state fair, and we're waiting for 'Slow Ride,' and then it's, 'Baby, put down your chili cheese dog, it's "Slow Ride"!' I just don't ever want it to be, 'Baby, put down your chili cheese dog, it's "Jeremy".'"
  • Options
    A band that has played a total of 6 shows in the USA in the last 2 years.....
    Has no plans for 2013??

Im shocked!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

But have no fear, you will still be able to buy plenty of posters, shirts, jackets, hoodies, etc. etc. etc.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    the lack of touring doesn't bother me as much as the lack of new music. I mean, they've only put out 40 minutes of pearl jam music in 6 years. and there doesn't seem to be any urgency to even work on anything new, never mind release it. it surprises me a bit, with all that's gone on in the world lately, that we haven't heard anything from the guys in so long.

that being as it is, I'd rather them not tour until they have something new go play. the here and there, occasional greatest hits act is going to get old before too long, IMO. I'd rather just see them go on a 'hiatus', and reconvene pearl jam when (if?) they're really into it.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    DPrival78 wrote:
    the lack of touring doesn't bother me as much as the lack of new music. I mean, they've only put out 40 minutes of pearl jam music in 6 years. and there doesn't seem to be any urgency to even work on anything new, never mind release it. it surprises me a bit, with all that's gone on in the world lately, that we haven't heard anything from the guys in so long.

that being as it is, I'd rather them not tour until they have something new go play. the here and there, occasional greatest hits act is going to get old before too long, IMO. I'd rather just see them go on a 'hiatus', and reconvene pearl jam when (if?) they're really into it.

the underlined part is the what I don't get. I've seen it stated a few times now. When has this band ever gone on a greatest hits tour? they didn't even want reviewmirror to be released!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    DPrival78 wrote:

the underlined part is the what I don't get. I've seen it stated a few times now. When has this band ever gone on a greatest hits tour? they didn't even want reviewmirror to be released!

I just meant that after a while, playing shows with no new music could get stale, especially with a lot of festival-type set lists thrown in.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    DPrival78 wrote:
    I just meant that after a while, playing shows with no new music could get stale, especially with a lot of festival-type set lists thrown in.

gotcha. I think PJ is probably going to take a couple years pretty slowly (it's been a busy couple in a row already, not just PJ stuff, but everything they've been doing band-wise and individually), and then they'll be back with a vengeance in a couple years.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425

Let's all hope PJ doesn't become a joke like those bands. I'd rather see them be like R.E.M. than be like those bands.

Maybe they really are cutting back on touring cause they wanna be around their families. Who could really blame them?? They owe us nothing and have no left to prove. I bitch bout them not touring cause I feel they still have it and are just wasting it on being with their families and all. When the band wants to get back on that PJ wagon, I'll do the same and until then I'll go see artist I like or discover new ones.

zeppelin are a joke? they disbanded after their drummer died.. how is that a joke?
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544

I agree. I think though, that out of respect to fans, they could maybe add a week or two onto a tour. Instead of thinking "We can play 13 shows to get the net cash flow we are looking for", they should say "We need to play 13 shows to get the net cash flow we are looking for, but lets play 22 shows to hit more cities so more of our fans can see us without having to fly or drive long distances."

I think like any business, clients and customers are important and deserve respect. That the band has played 1 show in Texas since 2003 is flat out disrespectful.

ok, I know this is going to come off as one of those posts by someone who thinks that band can do no wrong, but I'm not that guy. But I honestly don't believe that the band owes anyone anything. it's not disrespectful if the band doesn't play somewhere for a while. we're not shareholders. we get something in return for buying their music.

they played here in 1993. not again until 2005. never once did I begrudge them for this. why? because canada is a huge place with only a fraction of the places to play in compared to the US and Europe.

I really don't believe that they play for money, this example of playing 13 shows to get net cash. these guys don't need any money at all, as far as we know. I really honestly believe they still love doing what they do, otherwise they'd say "screw it".

Nothing in your post is unreasonable, but I'll just disagree on a few things. I think they do play for money (and enjoyment), because if they played only for enjoyment we would have had a record close to being done by now, and they would have played more shows than they do as a band. I don't think we should say that money is not important to them or that they don't want more of it. They have families and want to provide a good inheritance and probably have a sizable charitable agenda as well. You might have been right in 1995, but this is 2012 Pearl Jam we are talking about now (the land of festivals and apparell).

I don't think they are a greedy band because if they were they would play more shows and festivals. Are they playing three South America festivals though because they enjoy playing? No, it is because they are cashing in. They could play shows in Seattle if they wanted to have fun.

Regarding the "band doesn't owe us anything" assertion, I think we need to remember that when Pearl Jam plays a show, 13,000 people are paying $90 to attend that show as well. The fans are not going for free. When I buy a PJ hoodie I pay $60 for it, they don't give it to me. Every dollar the band members have received through Pearl Jam has come through dollars from the fans or sponsors. Pearl Jam doesn't legaly owe fans anything, and can stop touring whenever they want. As long as they are a current band though, I think they should do their best to tour the big regions to be fair to the fans, which they have done all except for the Southern USA since 2003. The band is still taking our money, but is telling a large part of their fan base that you are going to have to travel evey time you want to see the band. It is a money decision to tour the Northeast USA and West Coast USA and not the South.

You need to remember that Texas is huge. It has large, large cities. It would be like the band touring Canada three times without hitting up Ontario. It would be the band touring Europe three times in a row and not stopping in Germany. Since the last Texas show by PJ that wasn't a festival: two South America tours (soon to be three), two Canada tours (three visits to Calgary), two Australia tours, many Euro tours, three visits to NYC, etc...
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    people just have to realize they are a part time band and move on.. it will be easier when you realize this.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,544
    Zoso wrote:
    people just have to realize they are a part time band and move on.. it will be easier when you realize this.

I've been saying this for years. It seems that most people are aware of this by now and you don't get yelled at for saying so. I have seen the band more in the last few years than ever, but the reason I post is because people still believe the band is doing everything for free and doesn't owe anyone anything. I think if they are still going to tour sparingly that they should hit up Texas and some of the states they have ignored since 2003. It is a respect thing for me, not a 50 show tour every year. That is all.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Zoso wrote:

You're brave to say this out loud but it does seem this way now, doesn't it? :? :oops:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    If your entire musical world revolves around Pearl Jam, I can see how this news might devastate you. If you have other musical interests - this isn't such a big deal. 2013 might be a good year to explore a whole bunch of new and exciting bands. 8-)
    Chris hits the nail on the head.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Zoso wrote:

zeppelin are a joke? they disbanded after their drummer died.. how is that a joke?

I was thinking the same here....these bands are a joke? The Stones a joke? :?

I didn't know being together for 50 years and being regarded as the best rock n roll band of all time is a joke?

I think the natural perception once some of these bands start getting older and trying to compare them to their younger days may be a joke, but I guess I didn't really understand that statement.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options

Nothing in your post is unreasonable, but I'll just disagree on a few things. I think they do play for money (and enjoyment), because if they played only for enjoyment we would have had a record close to being done by now, and they would have played more shows than they do as a band. I don't think we should say that money is not important to them or that they don't want more of it. They have families and want to provide a good inheritance and probably have a sizable charitable agenda as well. You might have been right in 1995, but this is 2012 Pearl Jam we are talking about now (the land of festivals and apparell).

I don't think they are a greedy band because if they were they would play more shows and festivals. Are they playing three South America festivals though because they enjoy playing? No, it is because they are cashing in. They could play shows in Seattle if they wanted to have fun.

Regarding the "band doesn't owe us anything" assertion, I think we need to remember that when Pearl Jam plays a show, 13,000 people are paying $90 to attend that show as well. The fans are not going for free. When I buy a PJ hoodie I pay $60 for it, they don't give it to me. Every dollar the band members have received through Pearl Jam has come through dollars from the fans or sponsors. Pearl Jam doesn't legaly owe fans anything, and can stop touring whenever they want. As long as they are a current band though, I think they should do their best to tour the big regions to be fair to the fans, which they have done all except for the Southern USA since 2003. The band is still taking our money, but is telling a large part of their fan base that you are going to have to travel evey time you want to see the band. It is a money decision to tour the Northeast USA and West Coast USA and not the South.

You need to remember that Texas is huge. It has large, large cities. It would be like the band touring Canada three times without hitting up Ontario. It would be the band touring Europe three times in a row and not stopping in Germany. Since the last Texas show by PJ that wasn't a festival: two South America tours (soon to be three), two Canada tours (three visits to Calgary), two Australia tours, many Euro tours, three visits to NYC, etc...

yes, they make money off us. but by the same token, we aren't donating our money to Pearl Jam, we get something out of it, whether it be a shirt, a hoodie, a bootleg, whathaveyou.

I really have no logical reasoning why they don't play the south. it's weird. I don't get it either. But to say they owe the fans a tour stop there is stretching it a bit.

I live in the middle of Canada. If an American band isn't touring the whole country, they don't stop here. 80% of bands (including PJ) hit Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and that's it. Does it annoy me? Absolutely. Do I say those bands (whom I've given my hard earned money to) owe me a show? Never. They can tour where they want.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    :lol:

January....18 yrs in the fan club will come to an end
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    This goes against everything we were told months ago by Kelly. Didn't he say 2013 would be a busy year for the band?

everyone is full of lies :roll:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Options
    i just went and read all the reply's

kids,,,,,Pearl Jam as we knew them are OVER ....stop fooling yourselves

they may not be "officially " broken up , but they sure as hell aren't "together "

someone posted thats its only october and nobody should worry ?????? :lol::lol:

(actually its pretty close to november)
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684

yes, they make money off us. but by the same token, we aren't donating our money to Pearl Jam, we get something out of it, whether it be a shirt, a hoodie, a bootleg, whathaveyou.

I really have no logical reasoning why they don't play the south. it's weird. I don't get it either. But to say they owe the fans a tour stop there is stretching it a bit.

I live in the middle of Canada. If an American band isn't touring the whole country, they don't stop here. 80% of bands (including PJ) hit Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, and that's it. Does it annoy me? Absolutely. Do I say those bands (whom I've given my hard earned money to) owe me a show? Never. They can tour where they want.

The difference though is that pretty much everyone else comes through here except for PJ. If I lived in rural Nebraska or something I wouldn't expect PJ shows (or many others either), but Texas is a very populated state with some of the most populated cities and metro areas in the country. To continue to play smaller/rural areas while ignoring the state is baffling. Happy for everyone else who has gotten a show, especially in your case where you may not get many other acts, but only playing Texas once in 10 years? I just don't understand it.
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,446

We're really going to miss you :cry:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs wrote:

nah you wont....neither will the band

and vice versa of course

its crazy to keep throwing 20 out the window
  • Options
    swardsward Posts: 586
    on2legs wrote:

nah you wont....neither will the band

and vice versa of course

its crazy to keep throwing 20 out the window

I never know what to make of these sort of posts. On one hand, what is 20 bucks per year? (presuming that is what you are talking about). On the other hand, personal choices change and that 20 bucks going towards a former love that has gradually just become a habit is also a bit of a waste.

I'm way less a fanatic now after 20 years of listening, but I take nothing they do personally. That means...if they decide not to tour a specific year, all it means for me is I don't see them that year. There is no time spent on their thought process around touring, why not here and why there (i'm in Halifax...not usually here!). It simply means they if they are not touring, I'm not seeing them. When they DO announce a tour...I take the time to see if they are hitting a spot I can feasibly travel to..if so...and I can afford a date..I see them..if not..I don't. Pretty cut and dry. Who gives a flying f#$% if they are caught up in their personal lives and aren't getting to finishing up the record or plotting a world tour. Same logic applies. They make one and release it. I'll buy it. If they don't...well..I won't. I have lots of other things occupying my time until that day comes and maybe when it does come..I won't be there with the same enthusiasm. I don't know. As it stands today, they are still my band, but when they are on hiatus, so am I. I take the time for a little break, and it ALWAYS allows me to come back to the band with energy and excitement until the next hiatus.

Anyway, sometimes they need a break and we need a break and I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I got reminded of something, watching PJ20 last night. They were talking about how they learned a lot from Neil Young, and how he does what he wants to when he wants to - either touring small places, or large places, *when he wants to*. Their absorbing that advice is what carried them through to continue existing today. Bottom line, is they do what they want, when they feel like it. If you accept that you stay on the ride; if not, you get off.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    They obviously havent taken up the practice of recording albums and touring like Neil Young.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,884
    Everyone knows that PJ won't make plans for 2013 until March/April of 2013- nothing new here
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...