Options

Jeff interview: "Pearl Jam has no plans right now for 2013"

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    the info changes with almost every interview. it seems like we know this much: they have several songs done, but will wait until they reconvene in early 2013 to see how they stand up against any new ideas that they work on between now & then. i have no problem waiting for the new record. sure, i'd love to have it now....but the creative process takes time. being a musician myself (nowhere near as prolific as PJ, mind you), i understand this process. i work on songs & record them 10 different ways before finally deciding which approach to take with a song sometimes. and that's with only having one bandmate. it takes more time when you have more people involved.

we also know what Kelly said earlier this year about 2013 being a big touring year for them. this has me excited.

in the meantime, i'll enjoy their side bands....can't wait to see RNDM in November & hope that Brad plays some warm-up dates prior to their European tour. i'll also enjoy discovering new music (just heard Milo Greene for the first time 2 weeks ago...WOW!).

ok...well, i hope this made sense. it's been a long day! :lol:
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    Daron OshayDaron Oshay Middletown, NJ Posts: 2,492
    They will tour. There may not be an album but they will play the US.

I say album this time next year.
  • Options
    Pry ToPry To Posts: 285
    mfc2006 wrote:
    the creative process takes time. being a musician myself (nowhere near as prolific as PJ, mind you), i understand this process.

I'm not sure "prolific" would be the appropriate adjective for a band that has released 39 songs in the last TEN YEARS. That's 3.9 songs per year, and this is their only job. (Unlike you, who I assume has some other means of work.) Obviously, they do what they want, when they want, but I think calling PJ prolific at this point is overstating the case considerably. The Beatles wrote, recorded, and released their entire catalog, start to finish, in less time just to put things in context.
    Los Angeles - Sep 11, 1992
    Memphis - Aug 15, 2000
    Chicago - May 16, 2006
    Chicago - Aug 23-24, 2009
    Columbus - May 6, 2010
    Noblesville - May 7, 2010
    Manchester - June 20-21, 2012
    Amsterdam - June 26-27, 2012
    Berlin - July 4-5, 2012
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    I wonder what festivals and remote US city will be on that board for 2013?

Future interview with Jeff: "We have a few festivals we plan to play in America this year and the one sold out show in Toledo, Ohio to look forward to. Obviously we wanted to play a more shows this year but Gary, Indiana and Sheboygan, Wisconsin were all booked."

I had crappy day at work and that really gave me a much needed laugh. Thanks for that :lol:
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    So I should cancel my Labor Day reservation at Alpine for 2013?
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,735
    mfc2006 wrote:
    the info changes with almost every interview.

Yep. We're better off not reading up on all these interviews. It's gonna make your heart pump wildly each time these websites are posting them and the mind confused with all these different answers.

I wish pearljam.com had interviews & news from the band. Instead of getting it all from a 3rd party for our daily dose of PJ. :|
    They will tour. There may not be an album but they will play the US.

I say album this time next year.

If they do tour again the USA, i'm hoping they do it with a new record on their back.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    So I should cancel my Labor Day reservation at Alpine for 2013?

labor day? i heard memorial day 2013. you might want to book both weekends to be safe.
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    You know, I think I've kind of reached a point of acceptance that Pearl Jam today is just not the band I fell in love with over 20 years ago, and was a die hard for up until about 6 years ago (the last "real" tour).

I'm still a fan, and whenever I can make it to a show in my neck of the woods, I will. I'm not going to fault them at all for choosing to do things at a slower pace, pursue other projects, and tend to their personal lives. Whatever they continue to do, I'll continue to support on some level. I just find it kind of weird that after PJ20, then band said they were done with that moment of "looking back" and excited about the future - yet they've played very few shows since, with barely any new material, they've put up merchandise in the store that reflects back on their earlier career, and I'm sorry - but the website has become more of a Pearl Jam store than anything else.

Maybe it's partly the band, and partly me in a different state of mind - but I just don't feel that same connection anymore...
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    WhyNotSwedenWhyNotSweden Sweden Posts: 4,251
    Maybe I should call Eddie to go to Sweden again ;)
    -95, Stockholm (MirrorBall Tour)
    -00, Stockholm
    -07, Copenhagen
    -09, Berlin
    -10, Berlin
    -11, East Troy 1+2
    -12, Stockholm, Oslo, Copenhagen, EV London 2
    -13, London, Chicago
    -14, Amsterdam 1+2, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo
    -16, TOTD San Francisco 1+2
    -17, EV Amsterdam 2+3
    -18, Amsterdam 1+2, London 1+(2), Barcelona, London 2
    -19, EV Brussels

• Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    mfc2006 wrote:

we also know what Kelly said earlier this year about 2013 being a big touring year for them. this has me excited.

I'm more inclined to believe Jeff than Kelly. That doesn't mean I think Kelly is lying but I'm going to go with what a band member says! I hope there is a tour in America in 2013 (in support of a new album ideally), - partly cos for the 1st time I have money set aside for some American shows - but I'm not getting excited til there is an official announcement!
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    no glastonburty then............ :fp:
  • Options
    DPrival78DPrival78 CT Posts: 2,259
    seems like pearl jam isn't all that into pearl jam right now. nothing seems to be really driving them at this point, aside from a nostalgic festival gig or two here and there.

meh.
    i'm more a fan of popular bands.. like the bee-gees, pearl jam
  • Options
    I don't know if this necessarily bad news. After all, Its only October. How many of us have really planned out everything we're going to do next year? Give them a little more time for things to firm up and we'll probably see the album by mid year and a decent tour the second half of the year. Hopefully.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    fortyshadesfortyshades Posts: 1,834
    on2legs wrote:
    I don't know if this necessarily bad news. After all, Its only October. How many of us have really planned out everything we're going to do next year? Give them a little more time for things to firm up and we'll probably see the album by mid year and a decent tour the second half of the year. Hopefully.

Well, if you still have to go through the artwork, production, marketing and distribution, and you are completly independent (read: this is your sole source of income), than you better have some sort of deadline and/or plans in mind for 2013. If they don't have plans now in October and have (maybe or maybe not) seven or eight songs, this is going to be an October 2013 release at the earliest. More like a 2014 one.

The way we receive this contradiction information is somewhat head spinning. McCready said something else earlier (it seemed much more in the finalized stages of picking 12/13 songs and I believe they were going in the studio again this fall), Kelly said something else again and Jeff now make statements which are similar to statements, that we read I think also aprox. 8 months ago... (There are no even plans to go to the studio.) It seems like the band itself doesn't seem to know how many songs are finished, what direction they are heading in (Mike said something about a "heavy metal" tune) or in which stage of the process they are in etc.

They seem to be in a creative stand still...
  • Options
    I'm just saying its only October. Everything could change in a month and it might be full steam ahead for the band. No sense in getting all worked up now.

• Options
    on2legs wrote:
    I'm just saying its only October. Everything could change in a month and it might be full steam ahead for the band. No sense in getting all worked up now.

Hey "on2legs", I know what you are saying. But if I read the whole interview, there seems to be no one pushing the trottle here. Or in other words: "no full steam ahead". It is more like: "If somebody calls tomorrow to get together, that is ok. If no one calls, that is fine too..." This is literally the same information we had eight months ago. (Even including the number of songs - I believe it was Stone then. Mike makes different statements.)

I hate to say it, but I am a bit dissapointed. (But that will pass soon enough.) If there are no plans for a record now, there will be no release in 2013. Hell, take an example of Young. At least he is producing...
  • Options
    Can't wait for the new record

Slane 93

Dublin 96

Dublin 00

Hamilton 05

Dublin 06

Poland 07 London 07

West Palm Beach 08 Tampa 08

Berlin 09 Manchester 09 London 09

Dublin 10 Belfast 10

Manchester 12 1+2

Leeds 14 Milton Keynes14

EV Manchester 12

EV Dublin 17

Mirrorball Dublin 95

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    If your entire musical world revolves around Pearl Jam, I can see how this news might devastate you. If you have other musical interests - this isn't such a big deal. 2013 might be a good year to explore a whole bunch of new and exciting bands. 8-)
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    so,what new we learn after this interview??

ill tell you..

nothing we didnt know already..

its their band,its their music,they have their rythm to do things,and when they like they will do it..

like they do all this years..

ans we as fans.we wait,for new record ,for tour..as every year..

its just so easy now to understand why they wrote Corduroy...

"The waiting drove me mad...." :lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    on2legs wrote:

Hey "on2legs", I know what you are saying. But if I read the whole interview, there seems to be no one pushing the trottle here. Or in other words: "no full steam ahead". It is more like: "If somebody calls tomorrow to get together, that is ok. If no one calls, that is fine too..." This is literally the same information we had eight months ago. (Even including the number of songs - I believe it was Stone then. Mike makes different statements.)

I hate to say it, but I am a bit dissapointed. (But that will pass soon enough.) If there are no plans for a record now, there will be no release in 2013. Hell, take an example of Young. At least he is producing...

But this only what Jeff said TODAY. Things change... as evidenced by some of the stuff Mike and Kelly Curtis have said recently. So next week there might be an article where Stone says the new album is almost done.

• Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Tboz51 wrote:
    I am glad they are waiting too. I hope they give us a Backspacer 2 and tour every festival and maybe even some shows in China next year, do some stuff for the Apple employees? Take in the Great Wall of China and play the Apple plant.

I'd love to hear Just Breath (Some more), The End (extended), Amongst the Breaking Water in the Ocean..... I love love love Backspacer and hope for something along those lines.

It's time this band extend the branches of shows to some of those countries with lots of money and lots of big corporate head quarters like Iran (some of the largest spam organizations on earth), Saudi Arabia (all those beaches), Ethiopia (play some diamond mines, shoot maybe get paid in diamonds??), Sun City Africa, I hear that place has really come around.

Oh well, just my thoughts. Can't wait to see what 2013 has to offer???

:lol::lol::lol:

Man......how could you forget about Got Some?
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    I would say Pearl Jam as we know it, is pretty done. The band is on the backburner. Eddie is off still trying to be a cross between Neil Young/Bob Dylan. Stone is having fun with Brad. Matt is back with his first, true love, Soundgarden, Mike is playing whatever, and Jeff is pumping out more and more interesting stuff each month. My expectations for this "album" are incredibly low. Backspacer was a great disappointment to me and Avocado was over-cooked and forced. Riot Act wasn't a masterpiece, but at least it was very good and very interesting.

The interview comes off like Jeff is the only one truly interested these days. Not being on a record label is actually a bad thing for this band. They put out their best work while under contractual obligations. This 4 years between albums just tells me they don't care and have very little to say in musical terms.

Of course, they just seem to want to play corporate gigs, festivals, and greatest hits tours these days.
    -PUSH ME AND I WILL RESIST!
  • Options
    acutejamacutejam Posts: 1,433
    Hmm. I wonder if they're feeling an artistic rut right now? Maybe hook up with Gene Simmons? His work on lunch pails and action figures might be the thing to get those creative juices flowing!
    [sic] happens
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    on2legs wrote:
    on2legs wrote:

But this only what Jeff said TODAY. Things change... as evidenced by some of the stuff Mike and Kelly Curtis have said recently. So next week there might be an article where Stone says the new album is almost done.

Well, in this you are right... My (first) dissapointment got the best of me. In the end, you never know... This band has surprised me before... Maybe they will release an EP only through this fanclub; who knows. That will def. cut some expenses and everyone here will without a doubt buy it...
    Post edited by fortyshades on
  • Options
    so,what new we learn after this interview??

ill tell you..

nothing we didnt know already..

its their band,its their music,they have their rythm to do things,and when they like they will do it..

like they do all this years..

ans we as fans.we wait,for new record ,for tour..as every year..

its just so easy now to understand why they wrote Corduroy...

"The waiting drove me mad...." :lol:

You forget the next line Dimitri, which is more crucial:

"You are finally here and I am a mess..." ;)
  • Options
    If your entire musical world revolves around Pearl Jam, I can see how this news might devastate you. If you have other musical interests - this isn't such a big deal. 2013 might be a good year to explore a whole bunch of new and exciting bands. 8-)

Dissapointed and devastation is far and nowhere in between. There is enough bands and musicians I listen to, but in the end I am a Pearl Jam fan... And therefore look more foward to a PJ album then lets say a QOTSA album, or a TOOL album etc.... Well, maybe not the latter, but you get the drift...

And I liked Backspacer btw (where is this hate of BS coming from?), thought it was better than ST and coming from a much better place. But hell, that is just my opinion.
  • Options
    this shouldn't be a surprise at all. everything every band member has said about their future plans has changed when the time came. no sense in worrying about it. ALL bands slow down as they get older. come on, people. this should not come as a shock to anyone. humans, as a rule, slow down in everything as they age. so the guys in pearl jam should be no different. some of them have families, and enough money in the bank and no pressure from any label to worry about. not saying that making music is about money, it's just not as urgent for them as a band like Mudhoney.

look at all bands that have lasted this long. U2, the Stones, etc. have longer and longer periods between albums and tours. you just have to learn to roll with it and be happy they are still a band at all.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    HailRoad24 wrote:
    I would say Pearl Jam as we know it, is pretty done. The band is on the backburner. Eddie is off still trying to be a cross between Neil Young/Bob Dylan. Stone is having fun with Brad. Matt is back with his first, true love, Soundgarden, Mike is playing whatever, and Jeff is pumping out more and more interesting stuff each month. My expectations for this "album" are incredibly low. Backspacer was a great disappointment to me and Avocado was over-cooked and forced. Riot Act wasn't a masterpiece, but at least it was very good and very interesting.

The interview comes off like Jeff is the only one truly interested these days. Not being on a record label is actually a bad thing for this band. They put out their best work while under contractual obligations. This 4 years between albums just tells me they don't care and have very little to say in musical terms.

Of course, they just seem to want to play corporate gigs, festivals, and greatest hits tours these days.

You are correct sir. It is the band's choice so that is fine. I like though that just 6-12 months ago you would be ripped apart on this message board but now people can actually state the truth and not get yelled at for it. Nothing wrong with the truth and nothing wrong with what the band decides to do with their time (other than having so many fans pay a ton to get to Missoula and leave after one show to go play for ORACLE).
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,531
    this shouldn't be a surprise at all. everything every band member has said about their future plans has changed when the time came. no sense in worrying about it. ALL bands slow down as they get older. come on, people. this should not come as a shock to anyone. humans, as a rule, slow down in everything as they age. so the guys in pearl jam should be no different. some of them have families, and enough money in the bank and no pressure from any label to worry about. not saying that making music is about money, it's just not as urgent for them as a band like Mudhoney.

look at all bands that have lasted this long. U2, the Stones, etc. have longer and longer periods between albums and tours. you just have to learn to roll with it and be happy they are still a band at all.

I agree. I think though, that out of respect to fans, they could maybe add a week or two onto a tour. Instead of thinking "We can play 13 shows to get the net cash flow we are looking for", they should say "We need to play 13 shows to get the net cash flow we are looking for, but lets play 22 shows to hit more cities so more of our fans can see us without having to fly or drive long distances."

I think like any business, clients and customers are important and deserve respect. That the band has played 1 show in Texas since 2003 is flat out disrespectful.
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438

Agreed - and if anyone's a NIN fan, you know how long the droughts between albums used to be.

I'm a long term Bruce fan - now, when the new album comes out, I buy it, and I catch one show a tour - it reminds me how much and why I love the guy's music, but I don't have to obsess about it to love the music - I know it and he's out there and I reconnect with it every now and again. Same for PJ. Over the long haul you will drive yourself crazy if you obsess so much day to day - I'm sure they get up, play with their kids, eat dinner, watch a ball game, and maybe don't think about misc - they're not worried that some people are obsessing about a future album. When it happens it happens.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008