Options

Purging your music collection

2»

Comments

• Options
    CAVSTARR313CAVSTARR313 Posts: 8,756
    Caveeze wrote:
    Your purge list is nuts!! Tool? Rage? just to name a few..

I understand getting older and refining your taste.. but don't forget what got you there..

I am not saying listen to them everyday.. but goddamn man!! there is at least a drive home from work once a year when "Hooker with a Penis" must be played..

Dont ever forget your roots..

forget I ever even posted this fucking thread.
    I cant now!! :lol::lol:
    I am alarmed.. you mentioned some pretty good bands, some with very great albums...

Put on Blood Sugar Sex Magic right now and all is forgiven.. ;)
    None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free.
    Abrn Hlls '98 - Clarkston 2 '03 - Grd Rpds '06 - Abrn Hlls '06 - Clvd '10 - PJ20 - Berlin 1+2 '12 - Wrigley '13 - Pitt '13- buff '13- Philly 1+2 '13 - Seattle '13
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    If this includes cd's that I pawned off in a music store back in the day:

Garbage (self titled)
    Limp Bizkit (signifigant other)
    think that's it, honestly.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,313
    Not counting cds that I have thrown out to wipe away bad memories (albums that remind me of an ex etc) I have purged my collection twice, once intentionally and once accidentally.

The first, intentional, purge was when I was emigrating to Australia a few years ago. My visa came through quicker than expected and I found myself needing cash to cover the flight and shipping my stuff over so I sold about 1/2 of my vinyl collection to a collector in London. It was only after properly going through it that I realised how much of it I didn't listen to anymore (Kiss, Aerosmith, Motley, Ozzy etc, typical late 70's/80's stuff) and I was actually glad to get rid of it.

Everything had been opened and played for years (I don't buy it to look at it!) and, while there were a few rare/valuable pieces in there it felt good to purge. After all, if I get nostalgic for a particular song I can always get it online. There was only one lp in there that I didn't realise I'd sold - Shellac's 'At Action Park' is not one I wanted to lose (I think he nabbed it when I wasn't looking!)

The second, accidental, purge was when one of my hard drives shit itself before I'd had a chance to back everything up. I lost about half a TB of music and, to be honest, after the initial anger had subsided it felt quite liberating. I had been amassing so much music in recent years that I think I may have lost any form of quality control.

I understand why people say things like 'remember your roots' or 'how could you get rid of that?' but sometimes it's good to clear out the stuff you don't really need. It can allow a greater appreciation of what you do actually want to keep hold of.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    AndyVanSlykeAndyVanSlyke Posts: 183
    I'm finding myself doing the exact opposite (which often leads to purging). Maybe it's the stage I'm in in life but I've recently attempted to revisit some old CD's. Some stuck around, some got purged.

My purged are:

Beastie Boys - I've kept Paul's Boutique and Check Your Head but the others had to go
    Korn - had their entire collection.

My experience was mainly nostalgic
    Pittsburgh 2003/Pittsburgh 2006/Outside Lands 2009/Bridge School 2010/Pittsburgh 2013
  • Options
    frazbafrazba Posts: 601
    Sorry Hugh!!!

I only ever purged once, about 20 years ago when I was even more skint than I am now, I sold about 300 LP's (all vinyl) to my local indie record emporium for virtually nothing. I regret it to this day, honestly.

Your tastes don't change, they expand. Don't do it..... :nono: ;)
  • Options
    If you are like me, I'll be hanging out somewhere and a blast from the past will be cranked out and I'll go, "Fukin rights. I haven't heard that in ages!" Then later, I'll go look for it on my ipod, discover it's not there, and go to my collection and find it- along with a few others (giving me a new workout playlist for the week).

If I'm in the mood for purging... I'll wait till the wife is at work. Then I'll go into the closet and fire out 2-3 pairs of her shoes that she hasn't worn for a long time. She rarely misses them- I've never been busted. And the decluttering makes me feel like I've really accomplished something.

Shoes. Wives. Sheesh.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    my tastes HAVE changed. if they hadn't, I'd still be listening to Def Leppard for shit's sake.

right now what I listen to is largely dependent upon meaningful factor. Which is probaby why I listen mostly to PJ. Acoustic live Jeff Martin. Xavier Rudd. Smashing Pumpkins. Headstones. Nirvana. Blind Melon. QOTSA is also huge for me, but that's mainly because they fucking rock.

Tool and Audioslave and Rage hold no sentimental meaning to me, AND when you add to that I don't generally listen to music with that type of agression anymore, that equation means purge. REM I've never liked. I went through a stage where I was buying anything that said "limited" on it.

RHCP has a little meaning for me, as someone said, BSSM, but that got so overplayed I can barely listen to it now. If I keep any of RHCP, it will be By The Way, Californication, and their Live at Hyde Park double live cd.

I seem to be the opposite of most people my age, where they like the earlier stuff by a band (like RHCP's BSSM), I prefer the more recent stuff (ok, bad example, since their newest is terrible-but you get the idea).

New music excites me.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    I go through my itunes library about 2x a year and delete stuff that hasn't caught on yet. There have been a few that have survived through several of my cleanings. Blind Melon, Arcade Fire and various solo projects from acts in bigger bands(Roger Waters, Jimmy Page), which leads me to my next purging issue

I try to be a completist but there are certain bands where I just don't need the whole catalog.

If a band has one sound and pretty much sticks to it(Rage, AC/DC, Band of Horses) I take what I really like and dump the rest. I usually find most of their stuff listenable but I get my fill listening to the tunes I really love.

I don't ever get rid of music I've ever really liked, even it's to go back and laugh at myself. And every so often I'll remember a cd I had or a song I listened to and track it down and download it.

Just to stick with the theme and pick on the op's list some more....I can't imagine a day when I can say "Tool, GnR, RHCP... get the fuck outta my music library, I will NEVER listen to you again"
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    DewieCox wrote:
    Just to stick with the theme and pick on the op's list some more....I can't imagine a day when I can say "Tool, GnR, RHCP... get the fuck outta my music library, I will NEVER listen to you again"

Hey now, that is not what this thread is about. Stay on topic, damnit! :corn:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

The urge to listen to acoustic "Used to Love Her" comes randomly. Then it usually turns into listening to some more GnR. There is usually alcohol involved. :lol: For that reason... I gotta keep some nostalgic stuff.

And QOTSA totally fuckin rock! :D
    I'll never understand why they dont get more love around here.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Options
    Gold 26Gold 26 Posts: 676
    I've got some stuff a friend of mine gave me I really can't get into so it's getting deleted. Misfits, Enter Shikari and MC Lars are going.
    All my favourite singers have stolen all of my best lines.
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    my tastes HAVE changed. if they hadn't, I'd still be listening to Def Leppard for shit's sake.

right now what I listen to is largely dependent upon meaningful factor. Which is probaby why I listen mostly to PJ. Acoustic live Jeff Martin. Xavier Rudd. Smashing Pumpkins. Headstones. Nirvana. Blind Melon. QOTSA is also huge for me, but that's mainly because they fucking rock.

Tool and Audioslave and Rage hold no sentimental meaning to me, AND when you add to that I don't generally listen to music with that type of agression anymore, that equation means purge. REM I've never liked. I went through a stage where I was buying anything that said "limited" on it.

RHCP has a little meaning for me, as someone said, BSSM, but that got so overplayed I can barely listen to it now. If I keep any of RHCP, it will be By The Way, Californication, and their Live at Hyde Park double live cd.

I seem to be the opposite of most people my age, where they like the earlier stuff by a band (like RHCP's BSSM), I prefer the more recent stuff (ok, bad example, since their newest is terrible-but you get the idea).

New music excites me.

new music excites meand i hear a lot of it.... but so does lsitening to TOOL on headphones in the dark. :P 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    DewieCox wrote:

The urge to listen to acoustic "Used to Love Her" comes randomly. Then it usually turns into listening to some more GnR. There is usually alcohol involved. :lol: For that reason... I gotta keep some nostalgic stuff.

And QOTSA totally fuckin rock! :D
    I'll never understand why they dont get more love around here.

and lets face it no one could ever rid themselves of appetite for destruction without regretting it at some later stage... whether drunk or stone cold sober.

and yes QOTSA do fuckin' rock. i do love that groove they got going on. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    I've got quite eclectic tastes so i like to change it up a lot. At the moment I'm listening to Screamin Jay Hawkins again, haven't listened to him for a while. Love it! Found L7 the other day too and gave them a listen to. :)
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Options
    i think pearl jam should cover wargasm... if only for my own amusement.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say