Options

***The Official Philadelphia Phillies 2012 Thread***

Comments

• Options
    The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer wrote:

saturday would be perfect--then i can still do bruce on sunday and recouperate on monday....

this is what I'm hoping for. I have springsteen tix for sunday...waiting to pull the trigger on festival tix until I see an official announcement of when PJ is playing.

It's Jay Z's festival. Only makes sense that he and the Roots close things down on Sunday night.

Was that announced? That the Roots will be backing him? And will they be playing their own set as well? I'm so in the dark about this festival. I haven't even been following PJ show rumors cause I expected DeLuna to be the only US date this year. I just saw a post on here yesterday that included the terms "Pearl Jam" "Philly" "Labor Day Weekend" "Presale Code is Budweiser" and within minutes I had a $99 two-day pass. To what? I'm not exactly sure.

Not yet. All I saw was a Jay Z quote someting along the lines of 'I wouldn't even think of being in their city and not extending an invitation'. I'd bet all my money on the Roots being involved in some capacity. They are one of the select few hip hop acts that I would be interested to see.

Funny about the tix. I think everyone kinda feels that way. Then again, PJ is enough for me (though I would much prefer a real PJ show)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    The Fixer wrote:
    Funny about the tix. I think everyone kinda feels that way. Then again, PJ is enough for me (though I would much prefer a real PJ show)

Same here and that's the only reason I'm going.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Am I the only one that hopes hamels drills harper again?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    The Fixer wrote:

If he does I bet harper will beat the piss out of him.

Kid has been playing the game the right way so far. I'm impressed
  • Options
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, if he could catch a fly ball he'd really be good

I hope he wears another one tonight
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    God I hope there's a fight tonight
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    The Fixer wrote:

yeah, if he could catch a fly ball he'd really be good

I hope he wears another one tonight

Kid's 19 and has been an outfielder for 18 months. I think he'll be fine. Just saying, the kid is hitting big league pitching, busting his ass everywhere, from what I read is the first one on the field everyday and didn't say shit when he got drilled intentionally. Not what I was expecting given everything that was said about his attitude.
  • Options
    phils win, sixers win, NYR lose

:thumbup:
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    The Fixer wrote:

:mrgreen:
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    The Fixer wrote:

:mrgreen:

:clap: 4 1/2 games out of first now (still in last though)
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,203
    i think i've said this before but the city really needs to get crosswalks over Pattison Avenue. with Xfinity Live now there is just humanity walking across the street at every second. it's a disaster waiting to happen. If they can build them on the Strip in Vegas there is no reason they can't be utilized in Philly.
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    way to be FRED
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Wow, that went a long ways
  • Options
  • Options
    boom
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    fred galvis --ROOKIE OF THE YEAR.

and MVP.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options

Haha, yeah, my fault. There's a dudes naked ass in the link.
  • Options
    way to be papleschlong :)
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    They said last night that Utley was shagging flies in left field!!!!!
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

like I said weeks ago, that move makes too much sense. I'd rather put a garbage can in LF than see pierre/mayberry out there
  • Options
    gotta figure it's gonna be next to impossible for the phils to get a deal done at this point
    :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :roll:

Nine starts into the year, Hamels has built a foundation for one of the greatest free-agent launch pads in baseball history. He is setting himself up for an enormous payday, whether it comes from the Phillies or some other team.

This doesn't always happen, of course. C.J. Wilson wound up with an excellent five-year, $77.5 million deal with the Los Angeles Angels last fall, but his market value was depreciated by his rough October showing, when evaluators from the New York Yankees and other teams wondered aloud how long his pitching preeminence would last.

John Lackey did fine, too, getting $82.5 million from the Boston Red Sox. But he didn't have a high number of suitors pushing his bidding into nine figures after his above-average final season with the Angels, when he posted a 3.83 ERA.

History tells us that excellence leading up to free agency -- a pitcher's level of dominance -- will significantly impact the offers, because bidders will look at the player as being an immediate difference-maker. Kevin Brown was the ace of the 1998 Padres, going 18-7 with a 2.38 ERA and leading them into the World Series, and despite the fact that he was 32 years old, the Dodgers gave him a record seven-year, $105 million deal.

CC Sabathia had perhaps the greatest season ever for any pitcher headed into free agency in 2008. After winning the 2007 Cy Young Award, Sabathia shook off a sluggish start, and after being traded to the Milwaukee Brewers, the lefty carried that franchise into its first postseason appearance in 26 years. Sabathia took the ball on three days' rest repeatedly, demonstrating for rival executives his commitment to winning; he was more worried about succeeding for the Brewers than he was about whether he was risking his free-agent payoff. In the end, Sabathia was rewarded with the biggest contract for any free-agent pitcher, signing with the Yankees for $161 million over seven years.

Similarly, Cliff Lee joined the Texas Rangers in midseason and helped them get to their first World Series ever, and he was totally dominant in his first three starts, holding the Tampa Bay Rays and Yankees to two runs in 24 innings. That was enough for him to get a five-year, $120 million deal from the Phillies that winter.

Now it's Hamels who appears to be putting the perfect touches on an already impressive résumé. When the Phillies won the World Series in 2008, Hamels was the National League Championship Series and World Series MVP, and after struggling in 2009, he continued on his upward trajectory in 2010. The Phillies' reluctance in investing in Hamels long-term has seemingly been rooted in the left-hander's injury history early in his career. But from 2008-11, his year-by-year innings count (in the regular season and postseason combined) have been sturdy: 262.1, 212.2, 223.2 and 222.

And he has never pitched better than he is right now, holding up the Phillies' hopes to contend. Hamels has made nine starts and the Phillies have won eight of them; he is 7-1. He has allowed two runs or fewer in seven of his last eight starts. His current ERA is more than half a run lower than in any season of his career. His strikeout-to-walk ratio is at about 5-to-1, the best of his career. He's got more strikeouts (66) than innings (62.1) for the first time in his career. Hamels ranks no worse than seventh in all of the major categories in the NL.

He also has this going for him: Some rival evaluators believe he can continue to be productive as he ages and loses his fastball, because his greatest skill is his ability to alter speeds with his extraordinary changeup.

Hamels, 28, has never set a deadline on his contract talks with the Phillies. But he may have already reached that point in this season when it makes sense for him to test the market -- to give other teams the opportunity to bid against the Phillies and drive up his asking price. He has already made about $35 million in salary in his career, and he's like a millionaire at a blackjack table: He has significantly less risk than others, because he's already financially comfortable.

Matt Cain accepted the five-year, $112.5 million extension from the San Francisco Giants, but Hamels is already in position to ask for more than that -- six years, with more money -- because he has waited. By not accepting the Phillies' overtures with the built-in hometown discount in the offseason, Hamels effectively doubled down on his bet on himself, and now he is only about 18 weeks from reaching free agency.
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:

you just cannot take fred galvis out of the lineup at this point. makes total sense.

:lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    holy shit phillies.. you nearly didnt get that one done. up 6-0 and only win 10-9.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    holy shit phillies.. you nearly didnt get that one done. up 6-0 and only win 10-9.

were you at the game?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

were you at the game?

no. i only saw between the 3rd and 7th innings. i had a previous engagement with johnny depp and tim burton. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

were you at the game?

no. i only saw between the 3rd and 7th innings. i had a previous engagement with johnny depp and tim burton. 8-)

i heard that movie stinks.

yes/no?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    were you at the game?

yes/no?

its a triple threat movie for me(quad if i count helena bonham carter... who i adore).. vampires. depp. burton... so i dont think i can answer that question without bias. but i do wonder what it was people were expecting.. its a difficult thing when dealing with vamps. are you gonna take yourself and the subject seriously or are you gonna go for chuckles? or are you gonna go in for an action movie like underworld. i however like my vamps dark and deadly. dark shadows is what it is.. a somewhat light hearted romp. but no i wouldnt say it stinks.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

yes/no?

its a triple threat movie for me(quad if i count helena bonham carter... who i adore).. vampires. depp. burton... so i dont think i can answer that question without bias. but i do wonder what it was people were expecting.. its a difficult thing when dealing with vamps. are you gonna take yourself and the subject seriously or are you gonna go for chuckles? or are you gonna go in for an action movie like underworld. i however like my vamps dark and deadly. dark shadows is what it is.. a somewhat light hearted romp. but no i wouldnt say it stinks.

fair enough. you gonna take in a game this weekend?
    chinese-happy.jpg
This discussion has been closed.