Loonies!

curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
edited December 2012 in All Encompassing Trip
I don't know if I've mentioned this or not before, but I attract loonies. I am a looney magnet. For example, on my way home from work today, I stopped into Taco Bell for a quick lunch and to sit for a minute. I was one of three people in there, and the weirdest lady comes in, she looks around to figure out where she's going to sit, (which is basically anywhere!) and sits down right next to me. She immediately asked me if I have a dog, I say yes, and she tells me about her cats and how she worries about all the animals because it's hot this weekend and doesn't want them all to die. Then, she tells me that I should invent a talking dog collar with a button in which dogs (?) can talk into and let their owners know when they are too hot, and that everyone would buy them if I made them. Ok, I'll get on that :lol:

I take the bus everyday and live in the Portland metro area, so I meet my share of bizarre people but this lady was something else. Anyone else met any loons lately? Go!
Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    Responded to a craigslist ad yesterday. The person was selling a drafting table I need for my office.
    What should have been a 2 minute conversation, lasted 45 minutes as she rambled on about finding Christianity.
    It wasn't so much the topic that was the problem. It was the insane conclusions she drew from passages in the Bible. Yeeesh.
    But I let her go on and on and on because it was entertaining! :lol:
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • rick1zoo2rick1zoo2 between a rock and a dumb place Posts: 12,632
    no, I repel them. they look at me and turn around and go the other way.
  • curlygirly9curlygirly9 Vancouver, WA Posts: 1,872
    Yes! Cragislist = Loon haven
    Responded to a craigslist ad yesterday. The person was selling a drafting table I need for my office.
    What should have been a 2 minute conversation, lasted 45 minutes as she rambled on about finding Christianity.
    It wasn't so much the topic that was the problem. It was the insane conclusions she drew from passages in the Bible. Yeeesh.
    But I let her go on and on and on because it was entertaining! :lol:
    Rose Garden Arena - Nov 02, 2000, Key Arena - Oct 22, 2001, Key Arena - Dec 08, 2002, Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002, Clark County Amphitheater - Sep 26, 2009
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    I wholeheartedly believe that you are a magnet for loonies, but it's kind of padding your stats to frequent places like Taco Bell, no? :lol:

But seriously folks...

I feel like I encounter a fair amount of nut cases (not as many as people who take public transportation regularly: that's a gold mine right there).

I overheard a woman share this gem last week, delivered with an air of true concern, with a completely disinterested receptionist: "My husband is getting emotionally ready (*dramatic pause*) to fill my windshield wiper system." :?

It's nothing compared to the dog-to-human interpreter suggestion, but if you heard the conviction in this woman's voice, you'd have given her as wide a berth as I did.
    :lol::lol: and I hardly ever go to Taco Bell btw, it's cheap and I was starving! :lol:
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    :lol::lol: and I hardly ever go to Taco Bell btw, it's cheap and I was starving! :lol:

And you got a glimpse into the workings of the mind of the insane. So, a win win!
    I think I just need to stop eating around people. A couple months ago I was at a bus stop outside of Winco and I was eating a slice of pizza waiting for the bus. When I got to the bus stop, there was another weird lady eating something from McDonalds and I sat down next to her on the bench. She was really annoyed that I was there and told me rudely that I had just missed the bus. I said, "Yeah, I know, that's why I grabbed a bite to eat while I wait." She stopped eating so she could watch me eat. The pizza slice was enormous and hard to eat, and I had several bags of groceries with me, my purse, etc. so I was tearing off pieces into smaller bites and she goes, "WHY ARE YOU EATING IT LIKE THAT?!" "BECAUSE I WANT TO!" Fuck. :lol:
  • kdizzle.deliokdizzle.delio Posts: 292
    i thought this was athread to the appreciation of the great $1 coins we have in Canada, my mistake. i don't really have any crazy stories
    "I want to Rock & Roll all night, and part of everyday"
    Sept.11/05 Kitchener, Ontario
    May 10/10 Buffalo, New York
    Sept.11 & Sept 12/2011, Toronto, Ontario
    Sept. 15/11 Hamilton, Ontario
    Oct. 12/13 Buffalo, New York
    Oct 16/14 Detroit, Michigan
    May 10/16 Toronto, Ontario
    :o Are your coins in Canada called 'Loonies'?!
    i thought this was athread to the appreciation of the great $1 coins we have in Canada, my mistake. i don't really have any crazy stories
  • tvismyfriendtvismyfriend Posts: 2,118
    :o Are your coins in Canada called 'Loonies'?!
    Just the dollar coin.
    220px-Loonie_reverse_view.png
    :o Way Cool!
  • AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738

:lol::lol: I thought it was something like that also.........
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
    Well, Canadians are perfectly welcome here :)
  • AlbertaGirl70_AlbertaGirl70_ Posts: 1,738
    Don't forget the twonnie!
    imagesCA9HK61G.jpg
    I will walk w/my hands bound
    I will walk w/my face blood
    I will walk w/my shadow flag

Memories back when she was smooth and strong
    and waiting for the world to come along...

Eddie solo Vegas Oct 31,Nov 1 2012
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    I thought this was going to be a thread about the Canadian dollar coin.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I thought this thread would have something to do with Monty Python. :P

On topic: I don't have too many experiences with loonies. Fairly certain there's something, but can't think of an event. Oh, there was one time on the metro when I decided to change carts at one stop because some guy was shouting very angrily at something that wasn't there. :?
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    Just got home, and no joke, my bus driver was eating pre-sliced cheese from a bag while driving :fp:
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Just got home, and no joke, my bus driver was eating pre-sliced cheese from a bag while driving :fp:

That doesn't sound so weird. I could go for some cheese right now actually.
    DS1119 wrote:

That doesn't sound so weird. I could go for some cheese right now actually.

It was weird :?
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    I have to share two of my best "loonie" encounters:

I was at Rite Aid, browsing in one of the aisles when this guy comes up to me and says "Can I ask you a question?" I said "Sure." He says "Do you like Dunkin Donuts coffee or Starbucks coffee better?" I thought it was a bit odd, but I'm a friendly person and my interest was peaked. I said "Well for flavored coffees, I like Starbucks, otherwise Dunkin is better." He says "Oh ok....Letterman or Leno?" Now I didn't know what the hell he was getting at, but again I played along. I said "Neither, I like Jimmy Fallon." He proceeded to ask who Jimmy Fallon was and I explained. He then tells me I have beautiful hair. My hair was up in a messy bun, I had on a hoodie and black lounge pants. This guy seemed a bit "off" and I was starting to feel uneasy. I began to walk away and he's like "Oh wait, before you go...I have to show you the secret handshake." I really didn't know what to say or do, I just kind of stammered and was like "Uhhhhh...." and before I knew it, I was doing some handshake thing with him. And then he walked away. I'm pretty sure in some other country (or whatever planet he was from), we're married :lol:

And this one's great. My best friend and I used to go to one on-the-road Mets game a year. One year we went to Philly. We were sitting in the hotel lobby, having a drink before the game and this guy kept like circling around by us. He'd walk around the entire lobby and look at us each time he passed. It amused us more than anything. Next thing I know, he sits down in the empty chair next to us and just keeps nodding his head going "uh huh, uh huh." I look at him and go "Hello...how are you?" He says "Yep..." My friend and I look at each other and just start cracking up. He asks us if we're from the area and we say no. I ask him if he is staying in the hotel, he said "No, I'm staying at the Holiday Inn down the way." Then we were all just looking at each other....awkward. He goes "Ooooh, nuts!" (there was a bowl of mixed nuts on the little coffee table in our sitting area). He asks "Can I have some?" I said "Go for it!" and at this point my friend can't contain her laughter anymore. Then he asks "So....how much?" I said "Uh...for what, the nuts?" He said "No...how much" and points to my friend and I! I was shocked. Here we were, wearing Mets t-shirts and jeans. Nothing implying that we were hookers! I said "Um, we're not for sale," and we got up and left for the game. WTF?!
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
    Hahahaha! Wtf indeed! Hookers wearing Mets shirts
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    I used to work at a liquor store, so we'd get our share of loonies!

One night, a fella came in the store, grabbed a few beers, and when it came time to pay, he presented us with a huge rock (the stone type) as payment. In my weird world, I thought it woulda been funny if we took the rock, and then gave him a smaller rock as his change.

Maybe I am the loony!
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    Lol! I once saw a woman on the train unpeel an orange and then eat it like an apple, with the juice all running down her arm and dripping the floor. :lol: Definitely a nut case! I couldn't believe it!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    :lol: Oh my god, I have many more, but I forgot Crazy George! Several years ago at a Jerry Cantrell show (which was cancelled right in front of my eyes!), my friend and I were waiting in line at the venue and sitting against the wall, and a homeless man holding a sandwich stopped in front of us, insinuated that we were in his territory and threatened us, but first he asked us if we knew who he was; Him: "Do you know who I am?!" Us: (Terrified) "No.." Him: "Well, I'm Crazy George! Say it!" Us (terrified, yet laughing): "Crazy George..." Then, he took a bite of his sandwich, and falling out of his mouth, said he was going to come back and kill us with a bow and arrow, which he acted out with his arms in true charade fashion. :?

I also had a Seinfeld moment with some lady in a conversation that went like this: Her: "Where do you get your hair permed?" Me: "It's not a perm, it's naturally curly." Her: "No, it isn't." Me (perplexed): "Yes, it is." Her: :roll: :lol:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

One night, a fella came in the store, grabbed a few beers, and when it came time to pay, he presented us with a huge rock (the stone type) as payment. In my weird world, I thought it woulda been funny if we took the rock, and then gave him a smaller rock as his change.

Maybe I am the loony!
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    :lol: Oh my god, I have many more, but I forgot Crazy George! Several years ago at a Jerry Cantrell show (which was cancelled right in front of my eyes!), my friend and I were waiting in line at the venue and sitting against the wall, and a homeless man holding a sandwich stopped in front of us, insinuated that we were in his territory and threatened us, but first he asked us if we knew who he was; Him: "Do you know who I am?!" Us: (Terrified) "No.." Him: "Well, I'm Crazy George! Say it!" Us (terrified, yet laughing): "Crazy George..." Then, he took a bite of his sandwich, and falling out of his mouth, said he was going to come back and kill us with a bow and arrow, which he acted out with his arms in true charade fashion. :?

I also had a Seinfeld moment with some lady in a conversation that went like this: Her: "Where do you get your hair permed?" Me: "It's not a perm, it's naturally curly." Her: "No, it isn't." Me (perplexed): "Yes, it is." Her: :roll: :lol:
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:

Maybe I am the loony!

I've had many crazy moments as well, but now that I am married, I try to avoid making the moments crazier.....it freaks my wife out whenever I try to stir the pot with other people!
    My favorite looney encounter at work was with a customer who came in, and he was looking for razor blades in the health and beauty/shaving section, and I told him that he wouldn't find them there. He was nice enough, but we bickered back and forth a little, and he's like, "you know, like razor blades! They would be with the shaving kits," and I'm like, "yeah, like straight razors, for a box knife" so I took out my box knife and showed him, and he's like "yeah!" So I told him again where they were, and he says in a quiet voice, "Ok, I'm not gonna lie, they're for cutting coke with.." And I said, "Yeah, you need a straight razor, and they're not in the shaving section!" :lol:
  • LiLiNY81LiLiNY81 Posts: 775
    he says in a quiet voice, "Ok, I'm not gonna lie, they're for cutting coke with.." And I said, "Yeah, you need a straight razor, and they're not in the shaving section!" :lol:
    :lol: I would have yelled really loud "YOU WANT TO USE THIS TO CUT COCAINE????"
    "Now YOU listen. When we are on this ship, you are to refer to me as 'Idiot' not 'You Captain'!"
    saldoubledutchgif_zps889c30d5.gif
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Same here;
    don't dollar coins rock?
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I'm a weirdo/freak magnet too!

Can't think of any right off the top of my head right now, but I will be sure to post a story here when I have a good one.

There's a lot of weirdos on the bus, that's for sure.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    :lol::lol: love your story Alex, very funny!
    Semaphore, where I live, is known for it's crazy people so I have regular encounters. :? I was at work once and this guy came in shouting, "pepper! sauce!". I presumed he meant Pepper Steak pie with sauce so that's what I asked him. "Pepper! sauce!" he screams again.
    I say " Do mean Pepper Pasty?". "PEPPER! SAAAAAUUUUUUUUCE!", he screams really loud this time. So I say to him "I don't know what you mean and if your not going to tell me what you want, I can't get it for you". So he starts calling me all this really disgusting stuff so I told him to get out.
    Before I can stop him, he's grabbed someone else's pie and walked out. He gets to the front window and smears it all over the window. :fp:
    Just one of the many crazy stories from my work. Also had a lady come in once with her pants zipped down, had no underwear on and you could see EVERYTHING. Shr was singing our National Anthem. :lol:
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014