How great of a person Ed really is

The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 537
edited April 2012 in The Porch
Tonight eating dinner at a place in Boston called T. Anthony's, Bruins winger Tyler Seguin came in and grabbed some food. Apparently he goes there a lot because hes friends with a few buddies of mine on the hockey team here at BU. So it was pretty cool to see him and i told him good luck in game 7 and he just said thanks but didn't even make eye contact or look up from his plate. its not like i interrupted him either, just made a quick comment passing by in an empty restaurant. I'm not one to think celebrities need to interact with their fans as part of their job, i just figured a kid the same age as me would've been more welcoming.

So a little while after that i thought about when i met Ed outside the Beacon last summer and it got me thinking how awesome it was. I've never met another person in my life who was as sincere and genuine as he was. Ed actually seemed interested in me and was happy having a conversation. It just eases my mind letting me know there are actual great people out there still like him. Certainly a day I'll never forget.
Beacon '08
Philly 2-4 '09
Newark '10
MSG 1+2 '10
E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
Made in America Festival '12
Worcester 1+2 '13
Brooklyn 1+2 '13
Global Citizens Festival '15
MSG 1+2 '16
Fenway Park 1+2 '16
Ohana '17
Home Shows 1+2 '18
Ohana '18
Ohana '19
Sea Hear Now '21
Ohana '21
LA 1+2 '22
Austin 1+2 '23
Ohana '23
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjamaholicpjamaholic Posts: 1,225
    Lucky you! Just shows how decent Eddie really is, I cant imagine there'd be too many people around who've had a negative experience in meeting him.
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Tonight eating dinner at a place in Boston called T. Anthony's, Bruins winger Tyler Seguin came in and grabbed some food. Apparently he goes there a lot because hes friends with a few buddies of mine on the hockey team here at BU. So it was pretty cool to see him and i told him good luck in game 7 and he just said thanks but didn't even make eye contact or look up from his plate. its not like i interrupted him either, just made a quick comment passing by in an empty restaurant. I'm not one to think celebrities need to interact with their fans as part of their job, i just figured a kid the same age as me would've been more welcoming.

So a little while after that i thought about when i met Ed outside the Beacon last summer and it got me thinking how awesome it was. I've never met another person in my life who was as sincere and genuine as he was. Ed actually seemed interested in me and was happy having a conversation. It just eases my mind letting me know there are actual great people out there still like him. Certainly a day I'll never forget.

:thumbup:
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,123
    He is the greatest! :mrgreen:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 798

Even though the night before he blew us off I agree. People are idiots. Ed is the man
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK.
    09 -Spectrum II,III,IV.
    10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo)
    12- Made in America Festival
    13- Oakland
    14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II
    17- eV Ohana
    18- Seattle I, II
    21- SHN
    22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden 

• pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    Sincere and genuine, great adjectives used to describe him, and I totally agree..
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664
    very btrue about ED, meeting him left me thinking just the same.....a living legend, and so refreshing that he isnt that rock star classic.....a genuine guy, and no dreams shattered in meeting him. perfect.
  • Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,973
    Never had the chance to chit chat with Mr Vedder, other than a "Hi Ed" after the Wiltern show, but I did get the chance to talk to Jeff at the skatepark behind the Key Arena prior to the show in 09. He was just as you described Eddie. He listened, made conversation back, and asked for clarification concerning the story I was recounting to him. To me, that shows a sincere and meaningful encounter. These guys area all class acts. I really wonder if there is another collective group as popular as Pearl Jam, that consists of every member being someone that you would have your kids aspire to be like... Cant imagine any sports team even remotely coming close. Or even too many other bands... Even the talking heads of your local new station have one of the group that wouldnt be bothered to waste time with us commoners.
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I hear regularly about new encounters between Ed and fans
    it reinforces my love for him! :D
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    Not to take away from Eddie... but the Bruins are full of a bunch of dick heads.
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,278
    please do not bother Mr. Seguin until after they win the cup again, he needs to focus on the game.

I'm sure if you ran into him in the off season (or regular season, not playoffs) it would have been different. Also, if he stopped to talk to everybody in boston he would never get a thing done. He's probably one of the more popular people in town right now, so I don't blame him.
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    please do not bother Mr. Seguin until after they win the cup again, he needs to focus on the game.

I'm sure if you ran into him in the off season (or regular season, not playoffs) it would have been different. Also, if he stopped to talk to everybody in boston he would never get a thing done. He's probably one of the more popular people in town right now, so I don't blame him.

I don't know... my son got a baseball autographed by Papelbon a few years back and he was nothing but gracious to him.

It's not a matter of blaming the person. I don't think the OP was blaming, just appreciating the difference with EV. Incidentally, I think PJ's graciousness in interacting with the friends is related to and fuels into the great respect that we fans (most of the time) show them when we do meet them. My two friends met EV a few days ago in Seattle while he was with his family. I know the huge impact he's had in their lives (if nothing else, they met at a PJ show...). And yet, they just said: "Sorry to disturb you when you are with your family, thanks for the music and I hope you heal fast" :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • n8dawg79n8dawg79 Virginia Posts: 129

You probably shouldn't overlook the Caps. Game 7 is going to be a hard fought game. I think that Washington just might surprise all of you up in Boston.
    Salt Lake City, Utah - Sept 28, 2009
    East Troy, Wisconsin - Sept 3. 2011
    East Troy, Wisconsin - Sept 4, 2011
    Charlottesville, Virginia - Oct 29, 2013
    Hampton, Virginia - Apr 18, 2016
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    I'm pretty sure I've read of other fans' encounters with Ed where he has blown them off. I guess it depends what mood they are in, how busy they are etc.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    n8dawg79 wrote:

You probably shouldn't overlook the Caps. Game 7 is going to be a hard fought game. I think that Washington just might surprise all of you up in Boston.

i used to live in harrisonburg. great town! i've got some musician friends up there. also agree about the caps! it's about time they represent! when i left harrisonburg i moved to arlington for a while & got to see a couple of games..good times...
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    MayDay10 wrote:
    Not to take away from Eddie... but the Bruins are full of a bunch of dick heads.

Saying something to a celebrity at a restaurant is completely different than meeting a celebrity at their own event. Some people just want to be left alone when going about their own business.

And just because you hate the Bruins, does not mean THEY are assholes.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Seguin is all of 20 years old, Ed is what, 64?

Maturity goes a long way when celebs are out in public and fans get all giddy when they see them.
    I'm sure Ed wasn't as "great" at age 20.

Tyler is a great "kid" and I am sure if the same situation would have occurred in the off season then he
    would have given you the time of day you were seeking.
  • halvhalv Posts: 675
    I worked at a hotel in Edmonton and we had alot of hockey teams come in. Without a doubt they are the biggest group of arrogant assholes. Seeing what jerks these guys were to fans and the hotel staff really turned me off from hockey, even to this day. Exceptions to this (this was about 10 years ago) were Doug Weight, Adam Graves, Bill Guerin, Mark Messier and Bill Ranford. All amazing, down to earth guys. Gretzky wasn't bad. Patrick Roy was by far...BY FAR the worst.
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 537

i've met plenty of famous people before, i don't consider walking past him at 11 pm in an empty restaurant saying 5 words bothersome. who knows, maybe i'm wrong. and i'm not saying he was nasty, i'm just saying Ed by far is the best "celebrity" I've ever met and it isn't close.
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • MayDay10 wrote:

:clap::clap::clap: :thumbup: :lol:

took the words right out of my mouth!!!
    And he who forgets...will be destined to remember...