Options

question about sealed vinyl

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,570
edited March 2012 in Lost Dogs
Hi! I'm wondering what all your thoughts are about buying sealed vinyl online... I've heard that it might be a good idea not to buy, because the vinyl can be warped or even bonded to the inner sleeve, and it's best to buy unsealed mint instead so you can confirm the condition of the record... thoughts? ... what are the chances of having a sealed damaged disc? Because I'm current highest bidder for a sealed album and suddenly feel nervous! Thx.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    flyinwhole313flyinwhole313 Posts: 1,651
    ALWAYS buy Mint, sealed vinyl. If it is warped, contact the seller, if they do not help you, contact ebay.
  • Options
    ALWAYS buy Mint, sealed vinyl. If it is warped, contact the seller, if they do not help you, contact ebay.

Thanks! :) I've not bought vinyl online before... scary not to hold it before buying! :)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    juddboz80juddboz80 Posts: 2,141
    I've heard people buy sealed vinyl and it was cracked....but eBay should protect you from that kind of stuff!
    Cant buy what i want cause its free....
  • Options
    I've bought over 25 online, never had a problem.
    that's the moss from the aforementioned verse...
  • Options
    I have bought most of my collection online. Occasional problems, but rarely.
  • Options
    eldarion75eldarion75 Posts: 2,488
    vinyls sold as sealed are often older/used records which have been resealed by certain ebay people who work in retail and have access to those wrap machines. I've been stung as have others. tread carefully and ask for a ton of high res pics and info.
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:
    vinyls sold as sealed are often older/used records which have been resealed by certain ebay people who work in retail and have access to those wrap machines. I've been stung as have others. tread carefully and ask for a ton of high res pics and info.

Anything in particular to look for on the plastic?? Are there giveaways? I.e., an overlapped seam down the back? ... one positive clue for these two albums is that one of them has a minor tear in the wrapping (which he has close up photos of and mentions). I doubt someone would fake it and then do that with one of the items. Plus he has a 100% positive rating ... well fingers crossed! Thanks for all input folks. I'm spending a bundle, so feel like I can't be too careful given my inexperience! :)
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:

Come on, man. OFTEN RESEALED? You are scaring this person who is obviously new to the vinyl scene. I have NEVER bought a resealed record on ebay. EVER. In 14 years of collecting records.
  • Options
    eldarion75 wrote:

Come on, man. OFTEN RESEALED? You are scaring this person who is obviously new to the vinyl scene. I have NEVER bought a resealed record on ebay. EVER. In 14 years of collecting records.
    Thanks Man. :wave: the other guy is well meaning and I appreciate it. I've found some stuff to make me paranoid, like the vinyl trade is packed with shady characters or something, lol. But with people like you combined with my general sense of cautious trust in the world, I'm feeling much more secure. :) I've bought cool vinyl (huge score on a rare Italian pressing of led zeppelin live in the BBC studios most recently - stumbled on an amazing one recently, whoot!), but i've bought in record stores and antique junk shops and stuff, I'm brand new to online bidding, so all advice is great!
  • Options
    Vinyl is being resealed now days. It adds value to the sale. It's a sad world. But true.

Look at binaural sealed worth $50 more then a mint opened
    For a few seconds work. If you have the machine.

So both posts above are being helpfull. Just look carefully at the item.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    those machines are very common

has anyone bought a used CD from second spin.com? always comes sealed
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    promo stickers can also be a good indicator. not as much with vinyl from pre-1980 i guess... do a quick google image search for a title and see if any pics show any original stickers on the shrinkwrap pimping single songs or anything like that. not every album had a promo sticker on the shrinkwrap, but shittons of them did. that's an extra step that seems a little more difficult to fake...

just tryina be helpful

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    promo stickers can also be a good indicator. not as much with vinyl from pre-1980 i guess... do a quick google image search for a title and see if any pics show any original stickers on the shrinkwrap pimping single songs or anything like that. not every album had a promo sticker on the shrinkwrap, but shittons of them did. that's an extra step that seems a little more difficult to fake...

just tryina be helpful
    An example why not to follow this rule- Soundgarden- Superunknown (HIGHLY faked) has a slew of reprint stickers on the shrink circulating out there...
  • Options
    dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    didn't call it a rule.....and there are always exceptions to any general wisdom. doesn't mean it should be totally dismissed out of hand imho

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • Options
    I've bought the majority of my vinyl online, and I have a fair amount, and I've never had a problem. One time I puchased a "white Backspacer" that wasn't white but the seller was just as shocked as I and took it back no problem. Just be cautious as you would with anything.
  • Options
    dangerboy wrote:
    didn't call it a rule.....and there are always exceptions to any general wisdom. doesn't mean it should be totally dismissed out of hand imho
    Got the sealed Vitalogy and No Code, should arrive this week. The Vitalogy at least has a bar code/item number sticker on the shrink, so great... I think a good buy from a reputable seller. Thanks everyone for the help.
    Last weekend I went to a junk shop and found a Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits in good condition (no big deal, dime a dozen)... with he original Milton Glaser album poster still in it, great condition. For $5. :):):) I fucking love this hobby.