Options

Dorky stuff about the Universe

SweetChildofMineSweetChildofMine Posts: 842
edited November 2013 in A Moving Train
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 111238.htm

The picture is awesome... scientist re thinking galaxy formation models.

If I was going to be a heavenly body... I wanna look like this! :lol: (the pink dancing butterfly on the astral plane)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The Science Channel has some interesting programs about the universe. We're semi-addicted, though at times it takes awhile for my mind to wrap around some of the theories.

And the photos...gorgeous.

Gorgeous and humbling.
  • Options
    Isnt it? Im completely addicted to this topic. People cant watch they feel too insiginificant, they cant handle the feeling the world doesnt revolve around them or feel vulnerable to the fragility of life.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    hedonist wrote:
    The Science Channel has some interesting programs about the universe. We're semi-addicted, though at times it takes awhile for my mind to wrap around some of the theories.

And the photos...gorgeous.

Gorgeous and humbling.
    The History Channels The Universe is an awesome show.
    Missed the one about God recently ...
    scientists who believe discussing etc

but yes makes us feel so small and so trivial not even a speck not even a moment in time

I liked the episode about the bumping planets :lol:
  • Options
    DriftingByTheStormDriftingByTheStorm Posts: 8,684
    edited February 2012
    Electricity, Plasma and the Divine Circulatory Flow

The article you link points out that as stars explode and release energy (in the form of Photons, i presume, which are electromagnetic NON-MASS "particles" -- pure energy, really) ... this energy heats gas which emits LIGHT.

This light formed by a reaction between photon energy and gaseous matter is what forms entire solar systems.

Whack-o, jack-o.

edit: just reread the article ... no so sure exactly WHAT they are claiming, actually.
    I don't see any mention (now that i re read it) as to WHAT the implications of this nebular emission really is, other than that it forces some rethinking of how much mass systems have, and how much light and of what is the cause of that light.

But they seem to actually stop short of making any conclusions on what the nebular emission itself is responsible for, other than light.
    ?
    Post edited by DriftingByTheStorm on
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Options
    I heard we are all stardust :D
  • Options
    That artricle makes me think of a question...

Doesnt it just make you wanna think the earth is just a tiny cancerous cell in the body of the universe?

Even at its smallest particle If you look at the scale of the universe its folds are about are the same ...infinite on any scale to the human eye big or small.

From a telescope man is just peeking through a keyhole into another "world" (same goes for microscope ... inaccessible by humans only to catch a glimpse of understanding....
  • Options
    Electricity, Plasma and the Divine Circulatory Flow

The article you link points out that as stars explode and release energy (in the form of Photons, i presume, which are electromagnetic NON-MASS "particles" -- pure energy, really) ... this energy heats gas which emits LIGHT.

This light formed by a reaction between photon energy and gaseous matter is what forms entire solar systems.

Whack-o, jack-o.

edit: just reread the article ... no so sure exactly WHAT they are claiming, actually.
    I don't see any mention (now that i re read it) as to WHAT the implications of this nebular emission really is, other than that it forces some rethinking of how much mass systems have, and how much light and of what is the cause of that light.

But they seem to actually stop short of making any conclusions on what the nebular emission itself is responsible for, other than light.
    ?
    What it is saying what was generally thought of the building blocks needed in models of the big bang and galaxy creation are now questioned because of "zwicky galacticien" has lack there of. Thats why there is no conclusion... they are puzzled. :lol:
  • Options

Doesnt it just make you wanna think the earth is just a tiny cancerous cell in the body of the universe?

Even at its smallest particle If you look at the scale of the universe its folds are about are the same ...infinite on any scale to the human eye big or small.

From a telescope man is just peeking through a keyhole into another "world" (same goes for microscope ... inaccessible by humans only to catch a glimpse of understanding....

I catch your drift, but i try not to think of the earth as a "cancerous cell".

The earth is a playground for spiritual evolution for sure.
    For all beings, not just humans.

Dogs have gone from wild, deadly, and uncontrolled\uncontrollable primal beasts
    to become loving, loyal, and serving (resuce dogs, bomb dogs, guide dogs, etc) animals.

All of our "domesticated" animals have undergone the same inner transformations, to some extent or another.

Humans are in the same boat, as well.

Is our spiritual quest complete?
    By no means.

Do i view us (or earth) as "cancerous"?
    Not at all.

You have common people creating democratic revolution all over the middle east.
    Here in America we have a man from a race of former slaves leading our country in the highest office.

As a species we have gone from being rather connected with our earth (but still, there is a reason the Anasazi vanished -- they cut down all their trees and turned their home in to desert!) but completely ignorant of science ... through to a middle phase of being almost completely ignorant of our destruction of the earth but being rather connected to science ... to the present, where we are very very much in touch with science in ways that would be unfathomable to ancient man ... and we are finally seeing the discourse regarding our connection\disconnection to the environment move from being a small radical underground movement to something that is discussed almost daily somewhere in the media\government\popular consciousness.

Are we perfect?
    No.
    Cancerous?
    I don't think so.
    We are just on a slow and steady journey towards truth, love, and beauty. All of us. Even the dogs, etc. :D
  • Options
    Are we perfect?
    No.
    Cancerous?
    I don't think so.
    We are just on a slow and steady journey towards truth, love, and beauty. All of us. Even the dogs, etc. :D
    Ha! I like this.

Slow and steady for sure - albeit bumpy at times.
  • Options

to become loving, loyal, and serving (resuce dogs, bomb dogs, guide dogs, etc) animals.

All of our "domesticated" animals have undergone the same inner transformations, to some extent or another.

By no means.

Not at all.

Here in America we have a man from a race of former slaves leading our country in the highest office.

As a species we have gone from being rather connected with our earth (but still, there is a reason the Anasazi vanished -- they cut down all their trees and turned their home in to desert!) but completely ignorant of science ... through to a middle phase of being almost completely ignorant of our destruction of the earth but being rather connected to science ... to the present, where we are very very much in touch with science in ways that would be unfathomable to ancient man ... and we are finally seeing the discourse regarding our connection\disconnection to the environment move from being a small radical underground movement to something that is discussed almost daily somewhere in the media\government\popular consciousness.

Are we perfect?
    No.
    Cancerous?
    I don't think so.
    Utopian view of Earth, I like that, there may still be time to turn it around... only mankind can make it a hell or paradise ... however, by the looks of it slowly on its way out of ever becoming a paradise...disconnected we all are in more ways than you think here...despondency only grows a lonely soul in a weary world.
  • Options

By no means.

Not at all.

Are we perfect?
    No.
    Cancerous?
    I don't think so.
    very beautiful very uplifting your post! :D
  • Options

By no means.

Not at all.

Are we perfect?
    No.
    Cancerous?
    I don't think so.
    Utopian view of Earth, I like that, there may still be time to turn it around... only mankind can make it a hell or paradise ... however, by the looks of it slowly on its way out of ever becoming a paradise...disconnected we all are in more ways than you think here...despondency only grows a lonely soul in a weary world.

I'm not advocating a "utopian" view of earth.

I'm simply pointing out from the perspective of history it is sort of perverse to view our current situation as entirely backwards or hopeless.

The earth, and all the creatures on it have been steadily EVOLVING, both physically AND spiritually, for eons.

Where once there was nothing but savage, deadly, wild beasts ... and the same of man ... and nothing but division, xenophobia, superstitious fear in terms of human thought ...

there is a clear trend of ever INCREASING intelligence, compassion, inter-cultural exchange and understanding, a dissolution of strictly national borders, and increase in cooperative spirit ... general increases in opportunities for education and employment globally, astounding increases in race and gender relations in the last century alone, and a general "falling away" of strictly sectarian religious beliefs for more healthy "spiritual" and humanist understandings of life itself.

Has there been some back-sliding, apostasy, and set-backs on this quest? For certain.
    I'm just saying that if you look at the long view of the history of species on this planet ... it isn't really getting ON THE WHOLE "worse" as some would seem to assert.

ON THE WHOLE, things seem to be slowly getting better and better.
  • Options
    thats fine and picturesque on a normal evolutionary scale which is intended mankind and all life its self.... as natural purpose as it was to be

However, as thoughtful and slow it should be, we are not on a normal evolutionary scale! We are on an abnormal fast paced de-evolutionary scale and ecocide of all life... it is outpacing all of us!

So sorry...you have one of two choices at this juncture either get to f'ing work and make the needed change or forget about this f'ing place, I cannot reiterate this enough... we are at a point of critical failure. So forget slow growing we dont have f'ing time for that ....major changes have to happen and happen NOW in the conciousness of man, in the way we see are world in the way we treat the damn world or G"damn forget it. Plain and simple.
  • Options
    evolution takes a really long time :lol: ...
    revelation not so much

I am hopeful this year brings good things to our consciousness and I love Driftins example
    of man's bestest friend... they are evolving too ...
    mine understand everything I say! 8-)

This is supposed to be a big space event year ... I believe we are influenced
    by planet alignment and much more that's out there that we don't understand
    or know of at all

I am excited! :D
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    Isnt it? Im completely addicted to this topic. People cant watch they feel too insiginificant, they cant handle the feeling the world doesnt revolve around them or feel vulnerable to the fragility of life.
    http://vimeo.com/36684976
    We feel insignificant... because we ARE insignificant, when we step outside and see us in perspective of the greater picture.
    But, it does not mean we have to act insignificant. We are inquisiting animals on a tiny blue rock circling a mediocre star amid an unimaginable number of stars that may have tiny blue rocks circling them. This is the creation... not by God... just by being. if we understand the the God of the Universe has better things to do with His time... in His space... then, to tend to the mundane affairs of this planet's highest evolved primate... maybe we'd quit trying to claim God as our own... as our possession and do good by each other. If we understood that this life is our one shot, we'd care more about it... and the world we live in... and the ones amongst us. Instead of our selfish obsession of taking ownership of God.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Now these are some beautiful words - thoughts, beliefs - I can get behind.

DO get behind.

Good to see you back, Cos.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    http://vimeo.com/36684976
    We feel insignificant... because we ARE insignificant, when we step outside and see us in perspective of the greater picture.
    But, it does not mean we have to act insignificant. We are inquisiting animals on a tiny blue rock circling a mediocre star amid an unimaginable number of stars that may have tiny blue rocks circling them. This is the creation... not by God... just by being. if we understand the the God of the Universe has better things to do with His time... in His space... then, to tend to the mundane affairs of this planet's highest evolved primate... maybe we'd quit trying to claim God as our own... as our possession and do good by each other. If we understood that this life is our one shot, we'd care more about it... and the world we live in... and the ones amongst us. Instead of our selfish obsession of taking ownership of God.
    Well thats what I mean knocks them down a few... a human with an inflated head cant handle they are just part of this tiny microcosm. You second thought on "ownership" of God its seems to be in human nature the need to control. Im not saying we all go out and act like maniacs...however, the need to control control control... is tiring... I just want to say you control nothing, cannot and will not. The more you control and try to harness and manipulate the things around you dont understand the outcome most likely 95 % of the time will be a detriment.

Life is one shot at what? If we are insignificant what is the shot at? Being a human? what does it mean to be human? And what kind of human are you that a destructive or consrtuctive one? So is it valuable or worthless? Does it even then matter? As i walk around this planet I see hierarchy of things (part of control, nonetheless), what makes one person more valuable than another? At the end of your life will you reflect upon the most important contributions or your mistakes? So then the question of insignificance is what the point? Nothing terrible giving surrender to things greater than oneself or cannot comprehend. In such a surrender, may I add enlightenment may occur of understanding such things greater than yourself. Nothing wrong with being humbled... by the looks of this shithole everyone could use a dose or two of humility. ( i didnt mean shame either... there is a difference)

What it all comes down to is survival and physical and spiritual evolution of our species as well as others species in a pitri dish called Earth. A life giving seed in the dirt vacuum of space.

I beg to differ there... we have many many lifetimes. There is a lot to learn. As temporary the flesh is... have we not a spiritual source from inside of which is the only a house of this energy or soul and thus upon death this energy is transferred. You cannot acquire all wisdom and knowledge in one lifetime as a human.
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    I guess talking about the universe brings us to God .... Cosmo... ?

How insignificant we feel, how small in the vastness of the universe
    is in absolute contradiction to how I feel in the presence of God.

It is God who owns me not I God. :D

"I just hope God does not get bored of dreaming me."
  • Options
    pandora wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    I guess talking about the universe brings us to God .... Cosmo... ?

How insignificant we feel, how small in the vastness of the universe
    is in absolute contradiction to how I feel in the presence of God.

It is God who owns me not I God. :D

"I just hope God does not get bored of dreaming me."
    thats because of omnipresence or the feeling of being "in touch"

The Earth is an object lesson for the apprentice gods. 'If you really screw up,' they get told, 'you'll make something like Earth.' [Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 286.]
  • Options
    thats because of omnipresence or the feeling of being "in touch"

The Earth is an object lesson for the apprentice gods. 'If you really screw up,' they get told, 'you'll make something like Earth.' [Dr. Arroway in Carl Sagan's Contact (New York: Pocket Books, 1985), p. 286.]

YEP! :D
    What do you think of God," the teacher asked. After a pause, the young pupil replied,
    "He's not a think, he's a feel."
    ~Paul Frost
  • Options
    Well thats what I mean knocks them down a few... a human with an inflated head cant handle they are just part of this tiny microcosm. Your second thought on "ownership" of God its seems to be in human nature the need to control. Im not saying we all go out and act like maniacs...however, the need to control control control... is tiring... I just want to say you control nothing, cannot and will not. The more you control and try to harness and manipulate the things around you dont understand the outcome most likely 95 % of the time will be a detriment.

Life is one shot at what? If we are insignificant what is the shot at? Being a human? what does it mean to be human? And what kind of human are you that a destructive or consrtuctive one? So is it valuable or worthless? Does it even then matter? As i walk around this planet I see hierarchy of things (part of control, nonetheless), what makes one person more valuable than another? At the end of your life will you reflect upon the most important contributions or your mistakes? So then the question of insignificance is what the point? Nothing terrible giving surrender to things greater than oneself or cannot comprehend. In such a surrender, may I add enlightenment may occur of understanding such things greater than yourself. Nothing wrong with being humbled... by the looks of this shithole everyone could use a dose or two of humility. ( i didnt mean shame either... there is a difference)

What it all comes down to is survival and physical and spiritual evolution of our species as well as others species in a pitri dish called Earth. A life giving seed in the dirt vacuum of space.

I beg to differ there... we have many many lifetimes. There is a lot to learn. As temporary the flesh is... have we not a spiritual source from inside of which is the only a house of this energy or soul and thus upon death this energy is transferred. You cannot acquire all wisdom and knowledge in one lifetime as a human.
    Regarding control: You can only control the things you have control over. The minute we control our own actions, we quit worrying about the things we cannot control.
    Regarding your questions about what is life... those are the answers you need to find because no one else can answer them for you.
    Finally... you believe we have many lifetimes.... and maybe we do. But, we do not know if there is our existance beyond this life... the life inside our skin... at this time... in this space. I say, "I don't know if there is anything for me beyond death", because i truely do not know. All i know is that once you pass through the portal of death... you ain't coming back. So, I celebrate my insignificant existance while I can. Life is too short and there are too many things to experience on this tiny planet for me to worry about.
    But.. that's just me.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:

DO get behind.

Hey, Sweetheart...
    Thanx. Most of those thoughts come to me when I'm out on the waves or sitting on the sand at night. Stars and grains of sand.. which is which, right?
    Sorry you couldn't make the Chevy Metal gig. It was pretty packed... but, they were great (as usual). It was nice to see Chris and Taylor and Wiley. They are going to play at the Topanga Daze. It's this cool little community faire in the artsy/hippy enclave that is Topanga Canyon. If you get a chance, you should get up there.
    peace...
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Stars and grains of sand.. which is which, right?
    :mrgreen:

• Options
    Stars and grains of sand.. which is which, right?
    :mrgreen:
    Count every grain of sand on the planet and you might have a ballpark figure of the number of stars in the Universe (and vice versa), right?
    Maybe... maybe not. The truthful answer is, 'We don't know'.
    When you spoke of the omnipresence, you spoke of what Mankind has felt beyond the years... when we first looked up to the stars and contemplated the reason for our being here. This is the birthplace of gods. To explain what we cannot explain. It still goes on today. Why does a tornado destroy everything in it's path, yet leaves one house unscathed? We are quick to say, it is God. We don't know that... but, we want to believe that.
    Anyway... I love the grandeur of the night sky. It puts me in proper perspective. I am insignificant... yet, I am here. It must be for something.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Cosmo wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

DO get behind.

Hey, Sweetheart...
    Thanx. Most of those thoughts come to me when I'm out on the waves or sitting on the sand at night. Stars and grains of sand.. which is which, right?
    Sorry you couldn't make the Chevy Metal gig. It was pretty packed... but, they were great (as usual). It was nice to see Chris and Taylor and Wiley. They are going to play at the Topanga Daze. It's this cool little community faire in the artsy/hippy enclave that is Topanga Canyon. If you get a chance, you should get up there.
    peace...
    Sorry I couldn't make it either; I want a raincheck.

My spine has decided to rebel. I curse it! But thankful it's not worse than it is.

As for the grandeur of the night sky...we can't see many stars from here (the true ones above us - not "celebrities")...the city lights dull them.

But there are some early mornings when it's all bright and clean out there. Then comes the pondering, and wonder.

Some wonderful stuff.
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    Cosmo wrote:
    hedonist wrote:

DO get behind.

Hey, Sweetheart...
    peace...
    Sorry I couldn't make it either; I want a raincheck.

My spine has decided to rebel. I curse it! But thankful it's not worse than it is.

As for the grandeur of the night sky...we can't see many stars from here (the true ones above us - not "celebrities")...the city lights dull them.

But there are some early mornings when it's all bright and clean out there. Then comes the pondering, and wonder.

Some wonderful stuff.
    At sunset (the Sun setting in the Pacific, not the Boulevard), look westward. The bright 'star' is Venus, the lesser bright star, Jupiter.
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    Our place faces east, so we get these awe-inspiring sunrises and depending on the clouds, backsplash reflections of sundown on the buildings facing west toward us.

It's quite beautiful actually - these huge glass structures looking like deep-orange pillars.

Part of what I love about those moments is how fleeting they are. Makes me appreciate them that much more.

On occasion, I do seen Venus in the early morning. Great way to start the day, especially if the moon's visible and still hanging around.
  • Options
    hedonist wrote:
    Our place faces east, so we get these awe-inspiring sunrises and depending on the clouds, backsplash reflections of sundown on the buildings facing west toward us.

It's quite beautiful actually - these huge glass structures looking like deep-orange pillars.

Part of what I love about those moments is how fleeting they are. Makes me appreciate them that much more.

On occasion, I do seen Venus in the early morning. Great way to start the day, especially if the moon's visible and still hanging around.
    Speaking of Sunrises... we are taking an April road trip to Phoenix to catch Eddie Vedder's gig and are planning it so we get to see a desert Sunrise. I love the sun rise in the desert.
    Also... think about McCready's UFO gig at the Galaxy (see how it ties to the Universe topic?) Theater in Santa Ana. There are booths there that are first come first serve, if your back keeps you from standing.
    Hail, Hail!!!