*** Denver I Fanviews 7/2 Here ***

Comments

• thumbsthumbs Posts: 37
    I loved hearing Present Tense and Bee Girl. I felt like a lot of the show catered to the people who aren't hard core - since they played just about every hit (except Last Kiss, hehe). Their energy was SO incredible. Petty's cool, but he just can't keep the energy up like the younguns.

My tickets were not nearly as good as previous tickets, but they were still much better than my non-tenclub friends. Maybe tonight will be better? Where's my wine!

I always try to get a poster at these shows. Knowing how they've been selling out this tour, my husband and I split up to get one of each. We were probably two of the first twenty people in the venue, and the first merchandise place sold out of the Petty/Pearl Jam before I even got up to the counter. Fortunately, he got both for me. And by the way, to the big balding guy in the orange shirt who tried to butt in front of me using your elbows and big ass - you suck, and you're welcome (I refused to let him butt, and then pushed him into my spot at the front of the counter after my husband got my poster, and he wouldn't even acknowledge me).
  • schwankschwank Posts: 32
    Yeah, last night's show was great... Just had knee surgery friday and it was a bear to fly in, get into the show, and stand up all night. My first show of this tour, looking forward to the rest of July! But I got to see the show with my best friend from high school, who was one of those instrumental in introducing me to PJ way back in 93. Veddy happy to be here.

'The waiting drove me mad, you're finally here and I'm a mess'

But to see Jeff on acoustic guitar for Bee Girl, and also Bu$hleaguer, Present Tense, and a nice Army Reserve was great. And Benmont really filled the keys well... and that's something you won't see at any PJ-only show. He had great filler on Black... certainly a nice touch. And Mike Campbell on So You Want to be a Rock n' Roll Star was cool... 4 guitars = sonic bombast.

Overall not the best audio quality for a venue, but hey I am a happy camper. I'll see enough small shows in the next couple weeks... these are my only arena shows. Petty did indeed show a bit too much expectation of praise from the crowd, but overall I thought his set was pretty energetic... I've seen TB&HB before and they did not have as energy as last night. Overall people seemed generally receptive, but I think the 2 crowds are a bit different.

Overall it was a great day to head to Denver for some shows... can't wait to head back down there tonite.
    Life is Participation in Evolution
    believe you me, i do believe
  • denverfandenverfan Posts: 218
    I am almost positive most of the crowd was there for PJ. I was very surprised at the energy from the crowd and I think they were too. From the reviews from the other "coheadliner" shows it sounded like seats were empty for PJ and most of the crowd was for Petty but I dont think that was the case last night, everyone was into PJ. Eddie even recognized it and said "it is not lost on us".

Present Tense, Army Reserve and Bee Girl were definately my favorites. Sure I would have liked a few more tunes, but they will be back tonight and hopefully that energy comes with them..

Jeff was really animated last night, usually he is kind of quiet in the corner but he was all over the place..

It was a decent show and I look forward to tonight.

Oh I did not stay for a second of petty, didnt want to taint my evening. I am going with the Mrs. tonight and we will probably stay and see some petty, that will be enough....

thanks for a good sow

What??? Petty rocked??? If I were you I'd find that seemingly lost character trait you once had called respect and showing some...As a bonus you had to know something was in the works for PJ to interact with Petty. I thought Ed sharing vocals with Petty was awesome and totally made my night. I thought Petty would transition well to the PJ fans, guess not...people are down on Petty...WTF!
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

Whisky Drinker, Non-Hunter from Denver.
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    fuck that... he needs to set it on fire everytime they play it :D

yup

EDIT : Did you guys notice that we are no longer required to have 10 characters on our posts? :D
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • DefJef44DefJef44 Posts: 13
    Severed Hand and Army Reserve sounded fantastic live...great solos.

oh and...

FU to the dumb blonde girl who stood in front of us waving her cell phone up high so someone could listen on the other end....you suck for blocking our view you stupid b
  • chaslil wrote:
    It was cool PJ brought out Campbell during "Rock and Roll Star". As a PJ fan I was disappointed in the muddy sound PJ got. I think it was because they were using Petty's system instead of their own. When McCready soloed, he barely stood out from the mix. Once P J 's stuff was cleared away, the sound was crisper for Petty's band, although even Petty's mic didn't sound clear at times (I was 8th row center section).

I was pleasantly surprised to hear Present Tense. But PJ really played alot of hits, so if they don't do repeats, it might be leass appealing to the casual fans. I bet we get RVM and either Baba or RITFW tonight.

I came for PJ but my casual rock friends liked Petty more because of all the hits and cleaner sound. PJ played more obscure songs, but still some of their classics. Pearl Jam fans dominated the front (probably because many bought Petty fan club seats) and all the dancing subsided during Petty.

I have a different set of friends coming tonight, but am not looking forward to sitting through the same Petty setlist all over again.

You could really tell in St.Paul that it wasn't PJ's pa, the mix was so so and you couldn't hear Mike there either but the boot is awesome and you can hear everything very clear...
    Rapid City 98
  • thumbsthumbs Posts: 37
    chaslil wrote:
    ...although even Petty's mic didn't sound clear at times (I was 8th row center section...

I really thought Petty's mic sounded bad. I couldn't hear anything but the higher nasaly notes.
  • schwankschwank Posts: 32
    I saw soooo many folks apparently transmitting the entire concert, both PJ and Petty, by just holding their phones at shoulder level all night.

I just wanted to say hey... you know you can download this stuff in 2 days in a way higher quality level... but whatever... you can't tell anyone anything these days.
    Life is Participation in Evolution
    believe you me, i do believe
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity but they've always worked for me." Gonzo

'If my fuckin' ex-wife told me to take care of her dog while her and her new boyfriend went to Honolulu, I'd tell her to go fuck herself." -The Dude

• mfogel2002mfogel2002 Posts: 15
    The vocals for both bands was off. Eddie was too loud and I could barely understand what he was singing and Petty's was too quite. I do hope they fix this for the people going tonight.

Overall I thought both bands did a solid job. I liked the Petty performance of the "radio songs" better than Pearl Jams. Dont get me wrong PJ still rocked all the radio songs. But I liked the Pearl Jam songs I wasnt familar with better than Petty's. To me the Petty "non-hits" just took the air out of the crowd.
  • Been watching the message board for years, but this is my first post.

First, the show. FUCK ME!!! It was ALL GOOD but personally the highlights were

'Severed Hand'..."I said...YEAH!" into 'Hail Hail'.

'Present Tense'!!!!! Are you kidding me? I had tears in my eyes. No doubt about it, PJ took the whole house through a transcendental moment. When the band brought the song back in everybody went nuts, and for good reason...it was the only sane thing to do!

'Army Reserve' Once again PJ has won me over on a track I wasn't so sure about. Listen to it live - you will never hear it the same way again. Stunning. Jeff's bass line tears me up.

'Corduroy', 'Better Man' and 'Black' I have seen Petty and the Heartbreakers quite a few times (btw, all the Petty criticism, in my humble opinion, is undeserved. Pearl Jam obviously has respect for TP & the Heartbreakers and wouldn't have hit the road with em' if they didn't WANT to. YOU figure it out). Benmont Tench is, as Eddie mentioned last night, one of the most incredible musicians on the planet. Perfect company with PJ. This was another transcendental period during the show. Eddie, Mike, Stone and Jeff were all circled around Benmont's keys during 'Better Man' and the crecendo was one of those moments that I find myself feeling lucky to be present for even just once in my life...funny thing is, I think it's a safe bet that those moments occur on a regular basis with this band - like, every fucking time they play!

'Bu$hleaguer' Sweet. I can die happy now. Please resign W.

Second thing.

We were sitting directly behind the sound board, 2 rows back, directly to the side of Stone. Sweet seats! Sound was very good. Jill and Olivia were right in front of us. Olivia was checking my sister and I out (probably because we were dancing and singing to her Daddy on stage!) and we both waved at her.
    Eddie came over to Stone's side and did a little dance for O. I'm sure the entire section thought it was for them, but my Sis and I knew better! It was very sweet and very cool. It also gave me a little perspective, reminding me that Eddie and the guys - although collectively greater than god's to so many of us - are really just people like you and me, unbelievably talented, motivated, life effecting and soul filled people, but people nonetheless...Fathers, sons, brothers, husbands and friends.

To those of you going tonight, enjoy.
    Leaning out to catch the sun's rays...
  • Dreamfire2Dreamfire2 Posts: 161
    Wow its great to see Rock N Roll Star pop up again. Been waiting on it to be on a boot ever since they played it at Santa Barbara which we got no boot on. Now if they bust out Daytime Dilemma from that show again . . .
  • I can't believe the complaining! I hardly get to go to concerts, never Pearl Jam, but I've got bootlegs, live CDs and DVDs, and this show blew my expectations away! World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Hail Hail, and the Do the Evolution where a musical avalanche. They played TWO No Code songs!! I only regret I don't have tickets for tonight's show. And how about Matt's drum solo?!

Tom Petty was great. Everyone in the audience sang (belted at the top of their lungs, actually) along with EVERY ONE of his songs! If you couldn't hear him, it's probably because he was being drowned out by the audience.
    Pronounced: (mo-KAY-lay em-BEM-bay)

"So I made a mistake, ONE mistake, can't a man start over?! DO I HAVE TO KEEP PAYING?! Maybe I should make another mistake... maybe I should make two."

• edwho wrote:
    ~

Pearl Jam Set List: World Wide Suicide, Severed Hand, Hail Hail, Do The Evolution, Given To Fly, Even Flow, Present Tense, Jeremy, Army Reserve, Daughter, Bee Girl, Corduroy (with Benmont Tench), , Better Man, Black (with Benmont Tench)

Encore: Comatose, Bu$hleaguer, Alive, So You Want To Be A Rock And Roll Star (with Mike Campbell and Benmont Tench)

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

Early Pearl Jam set list from blackredyellow.com

~

Wow...a little bit of a different set list( Bee girl, SO you wanna....) I am flying in for Vegas, 10 c seats, and just added San Diego, ticket behing stage on TM, I figured I should go to SD, since it is a long way to go for just one show, ended up getting the extra day off, Saturday from work. Vegas will be the first show after these short Tom Petty sets, so that is gonna rock, and San Diego should be memorable because obviously, former city of resience for one surfer /gas station attendant Eddie Vedder....

BIG WAVE will be debuted in SD too I think....
  • hbrownehbrowne Posts: 57
    Hi guys,

I just posted my review of the show on my blog, and there are 5 video clips that I took from the third row last night.

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2006/07/seeing-visions-of-falling-_115195452678836015.html

(weird URL that blogspot gave it, but it should work)

Our local Colorado Springs paper wrote an awful, banal, shallow review:
    http://gazette.com/display.php?id=1318944&secid=1

And finally, are you sure that was Olivia Vedder? I studied her for a while but thought she looked too big. Did she just turn 2 or 3? I thought that little girl looked 3 or 4... ???? Anyways, if it was her, cool!

Thanks!
    My Music Blog
    I AM FUEL, YOU ARE FRIENDS
    http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com
  • "Our local Colorado Springs paper wrote an awful, banal, shallow review"

I'll say. If the air smelled of anyting, it was pot. But they couldn't print that in the Gazette.
    Pronounced: (mo-KAY-lay em-BEM-bay)

"So I made a mistake, ONE mistake, can't a man start over?! DO I HAVE TO KEEP PAYING?! Maybe I should make another mistake... maybe I should make two."

• ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    hbrowne wrote:
    Hi guys,

I just posted my review of the show on my blog, and there are 5 video clips that I took from the third row last night.

http://fuelfriends.blogspot.com/2006/07/seeing-visions-of-falling-_115195452678836015.html

(weird URL that blogspot gave it, but it should work)

Our local Colorado Springs paper wrote an awful, banal, shallow review:
    http://gazette.com/display.php?id=1318944&secid=1

And finally, are you sure that was Olivia Vedder? I studied her for a while but thought she looked too big. Did she just turn 2 or 3? I thought that little girl looked 3 or 4... ???? Anyways, if it was her, cool!

Thanks!

She is tall...at 10 she is going to be taller than Eddie :D
    "Our local Colorado Springs paper wrote an awful, banal, shallow review"

I'll say. If the air smelled of anyting, it was pot. But they couldn't print that in the Gazette.

no worries..no one gives a shit what those in the springs think..It's like Seattle to Spokane...yeah it's like that!

• neartodeathneartodeath Posts: 167

'Corduroy', 'Better Man' and 'Black' I have seen Petty and the Heartbreakers quite a few times (btw, all the Petty criticism, in my humble opinion, is undeserved. Pearl Jam obviously has respect for TP & the Heartbreakers and wouldn't have hit the road with em' if they didn't WANT to. YOU figure it out). Benmont Tench is, as Eddie mentioned last night, one of the most incredible musicians on the planet. Perfect company with PJ. This was another transcendental period during the show. Eddie, Mike, Stone and Jeff were all circled around Benmont's keys during 'Better Man' and the crecendo was one of those moments that I find myself feeling lucky to be present for even just once in my life...funny thing is, I think it's a safe bet that those moments occur on a regular basis with this band - like, every fucking time they play!

you rock! thanks for this.
  • First night was a pretty good short set and I enjoyed myself. Night 2 sucked as it was the same fucking show as night one, besides maybe 3 songs like Long Road and Unemployable. Worst PJ show Ive ever seen of the 10 or so I have been to. Many fans had their heads down after the show.
    100$, keep it Pearl Jam next time.
  • great set! All the hits were nice because thy got the Petty fans into it and that really helped the energy (as evidenced by Monday's show where non-fans knew fewer songs and I felt the energy wasn't there from the crowd). Plus: Present Tense, Bushleaguer, and Bee Girl - WOW!! GREAT shit, GREAT show!
    "One good thing about music: when it hits you feel no pain. So hit me with music!"
  • Totally jealous of that set list!
  • lluukkiinnlluukkiinn Posts: 93
    Yes I think show I was way better then II for sure. They did alot of new songs the second show and no one knew what was going on. Plus they did a few repeats. Glad I got to be apart of this show.
    denver 7/2/06 & 7/3/06, chicago 8/5/07
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    I was pretty disappointed in the setlist as it seemed far too appealing to a casual fan, even possibly non-fans. I was also disappointed in the lack of new songs played. However, PJ was on fire as usual. They turned their everyday songs into absolutely amazing performances. It amazes me that I can still be blown away by tagless versions of both Daughter and Betterman.

Hail Hail was amazing as always, as was DTE. Matt had a really fun drum solo during Even Flow. Present Tense is always something that I always need to hear. If I hear Jeremy live one more time I might complain about it......

Army Reserve - Probably my least favorite off Avocado but still very, very good (cannot believe they didn't play Marker or Life Wasted either night). Bee Girl was a very pleasant surprise even though when Ed announced Jeff on guitar I was really hoping for Smile. Bushleaguer was one of the best versions I've ever heard....can't wait for the download.

I wish the show would have ended with Alive. It was an intense feeling of unity with the band and crowd that I usually feel during that song. I've never been a fan of Rock and Roll Star so it kinda ended on a sour note for me....of course that only got more sour when Tom (Prima Donna) Petty took the stage. What a fucking DIVA that guy is. Soaking up every ounce of applause with all his flitty kiss blowing and bowing after EVERY FUCKING SONG! He may be a hell of a songwriter but I lost all respect I may have had for him after his galavanting around like his shit cannot possibly stink. And to top it off, when Ed was singing the camera was still on Tom, even though he was just standing there....I bet the camera man's been threatened that if the camera ever leaves Tom's horrific face that he'd get canned. Ed's mic seemed way too low on both songs he sang with Petty. Leaving the venue with a TP song in my head just wasn't worth staying for Petty (something I made up for the next night).

Oh, one more thing....that sucks about Boom and being gone to attend to family stuff and all but I must admit that I was glad to not hear any long drawn out organ solos. Benmont kept it simple and sounded great.
  • Eliot RosewaterEliot Rosewater Posts: 2,684
    First night was a pretty good short set and I enjoyed myself. Night 2 sucked as it was the same fucking show as night one, besides maybe 3 songs like Long Road and Unemployable. Worst PJ show Ive ever seen of the 10 or so I have been to. Many fans had their heads down after the show.
    100$, keep it Pearl Jam next time.
    Absolute ridiculous post. It really is. Look at the setlists, they weren't even close to being the same. Only a few repeats between the two nights. Night one was only better if you've never seen PJ before or if you don't own any of their records because night one was full of radio hits. Night 2 was an infinitely better set.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Due to work only attended night one...and PJ rocked...really good..and no matter how many times I get radio hits I still enjoy them....

Bushleager was a treat..and the folks around me including Petty fans cheered and some sang some of the lines..really cool.

I had an open mind concerning Petty...like not love his music...but wasn't impressed..as mentioned earlier...he just had this self righteousness about him.....spreading his arms..saying don't you love me..give me more applause...very unlike..PJ...thank goodness.

Petty's video screens were incredible...very detailed. Wish PJ would incorporate them..for all those that aren't up front.

The new songs made it all worthwhile....

Funny how Tom told the audience that Eddie would be back to sing some more...guess he knew some people would leave if they knew that was it...

Can't wait for the Gorge.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • UnkeptUnkept Posts: 65
    I was at this First Denver show...I gotta say it felt like an amazing show...Period.

Pearl Jam was in fighting form, and the Setlist was fine with me...Sure it was Heavy on the hits, but I thought it probably would be...Still, PJ's stuff doesn't really get old to me for some reason, so I can hear just about any of it...Would I have rather heard 'Life Wasted' or 'Go' over Jeremy?...Yes, but I understand....And the energy level was incredible...People singing every song...Just losing their damn minds....Bushleager was pretty indulgent, but they pulled it off, and by the end of the song, it was money as hell...

I'll tell ya what though...I don't understand the hostillity towards Tom Petty, and his stage antics...He's pretty subdued, and the arms outstretched thing is pretty standard rock star stuff, even Eddie does it...

And if Tom is a bit Pretentious, and I don't think he is,...it might be attributed to playing in front of 10 to 20,000 fans a hundred nights a year for 30 years...could go to a guys head....

But I certainly don't think he comes off as a Diva...

Eddie's got his thing, but he is pretty unique in the Arena Rock Performer Cannon...Plant, Tyler, Roth, Petty, Jagger, Bowie, Springsteen...

They all perform for the people in the cheap seats, thus grand Motions are usually employed, arms wide out etc etc...

I don't prefer one over the other, but obviously I dig the PJ laid back, just here to play folks-vibe...however, I don't feel offended by a more traditional Show Biz presentation...

The only disappoinment I felt was that Petty let up off the gas....After a steady stream of hits, he pulled out a few covers and then came back with an encore that included 'Cabin Down Below'- not a classic in my humble opinion...

Still, overall, I saw a whole lot of great Rock & Roll, and am better for it...

Tom Petty-thanks for the memories

Pearl Jam-thanks for the memories, now follow Tom's example and give us 15 years more to remember...

Cause not much in my life is comparible to what went down in Denver Sunday night...and life is too boring without that stuff..
  • The show was really nice, although i can't believe that 10club tickets are now being shoved to the side of the stage. I'm also pretty disappointed at the short set list. The night was a good one....full of energy, etc. It really looked like the guys were having a good time.