Options

If Matt would quit PJ...

2»

Comments

• Options
    BinFrog wrote:

excellent choice, i think eddie would think in jack irons as first chance, krusen also can be
    Santiago I 2005
    Santiago II 2005
    West Palm Beach 2008
    Alpine Valley PJ20 I 2011
    Alpine Valley PJ 20 II 2011
    Santiago 2011
    Lima 2011
    Buenos Aires 2013
    Brooklyn I 2013
    Brooklyn II 2013
    Santiago 2015
    Bogota 2015
    Ft Lauderdale 2016
    Miami 2016
    Rio de Janeiro 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,413
    Matt quitting PJ to focus on soundgarden would be like Albert Pujols leaving the Angels to play in the minors.

More like leaving the Cardinals to play for the Angels.
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Matt quitting PJ to focus on soundgarden would be like Albert Pujols leaving the Angels to play in the minors.

Not even close. Soundgarden isn't even on the same playing field as Pearl Jam at this point.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:

Not even close. Soundgarden isn't even on the same playing field as Pearl Jam at this point.

Most of these are the sorta places PJ plays. Fine if you don't like SG but if you think they're not very popular you're wrong. Not quite as big as PJ is now, but still a pretty formidable touring entity, and I'll be shocked if their new album doesn't kick the crap outt Backspacer.

July 2 Toronto, ON Molson Canadian Amphitheater
    July 3 London, ON John Labatt Centre
    July 5 Ottawa, ON Ottawa Blues Fest
    July 6 Uncasville, CT Mohegan Sun Arena
    July 8 Newark, NJ Prudential Center
    July 9 Wantagh, NY Nikon at Jones Beach Theatre
    July 10 Mansfield, MA Comcast Center for the Performing Arts
    July 12 Fairfax, VA Patriot Center
    July 13 Philadelphia, PA Festival Pier at Penn's Landing
    July 14 Atlantic City, NJ Borgata Spa & Resort Event Center
    July 16 Chicago, IL UIC Pavilion
    July 18 Morrison, CO Red Rocks Amphitheater
    July 20 Stateline, NV Lake Tahoe Outdoor Arena At Harvey
    July 21 San Francisco, CA Bill Graham Civic Auditorium
    July 22 Inglewood, CA The Forum
    July 23 Las Vegas, NV The Joint
    July 27 Calgary Saddledome
    July 29 Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena
    July 30 George, WA The Gorge Amphitheater
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    The way PJ is and most likely will tour each year (a month in us or canada /a month elsewhere) leaves plenty of time for Matt to do both and I would expect this going forward.

I agree, though Pearl Jam start their Euro tour 10 days after Soundgarden finish their Euro tour. Will the band even bother with rehearsals?

I must say I don't like the "let's pick another drummer" threads. Matt belongs in PJ. (and Soundgarden). If Matt left the band now, PJ would be over. I'm pretty confident about that. He saved the band 14 years ago and I think they sound so much better live with him behind the drum kit.

God bless Matt Cameron :D
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    Again with this? :roll: :roll:

Matt is the drummer for PJ, we LOVE him - end of it.

Kat, can you lock it please?
  • Options
    VinylGirl wrote:

Seriously??

We all know Matts an awesome drummer and some other threads have probably taken the "other drummer" conversation too far, but is there really anything bad or offensive about discussing what the band would do without him? I think most people are in agreement that the band would end, but there's nothing wrong with discussing possible replacements.
  • Options
    VinylGirl wrote:

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

• Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    VinylGirl wrote:

It's a "what if", completely hypothetical question. No-one is saying Matt should leave. Chill.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011
    BinFrog wrote:
    VinylGirl wrote:

It's a "what if", completely hypothetical question. No-one is saying Matt should leave. Chill.

What if noodles were served over bananas instead of ice cream??? :?
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    BinFrog wrote:
    VinylGirl wrote:

What if noodles were served over bananas instead of ice cream??? :?

then I would say lock this thread.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    I nominate myself. I'd gladly take his spot. In fact I would even learn how to drum for an opportunity like that ;)
  • Options
    jorgemsjorgems Posts: 276
    we're just having a sane conversation on what would happen in case of an event that is a real possibility (I can imagine that it's not easy being in 2 bands, specially successful ones)... ;)
    Albuquerque 98, BSB 99, Houston 2000, San Antonio 2003, Monterrey 2005, Las Vegas 2006, Los Angeles Night 2 2008 (Ed Solo)
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    jorgems wrote:
    we're just having a sane conversation on what would happen in case of an event that is a real possibility (I can imagine that it's not easy being in 2 bands, specially successful ones)... ;)

Luckily for now, both bands are sticking to relatively small tours. I think this has prevented any real conflict between the two gigs. What happens if either (or both) band(s) want to do a more aggressive tour around the same time? It' easy to remain cordial when you're only touring for 2 months out of the year.. it'd be a bit tougher if both bands wanted to do 3-4 month tours.

I don't think PJ would call it quits if Matt left the band. Matt helped keep the band together when they needed it, but I don't think they would disband. Maybe they could get Jack for a tour or find another local friend who could fill in.

If he had to choose though why do we assume he'd leave pj? PJ has been a pretty good gig for Matt. He's now recorded 4 albums with pearl jam and played with pearl jam for about as long as he was in Soundgarden. Pearl Jam has never disbanded, so the gig has legs.

I think he'd choose PJ over Soundgarden if push came to shove?
  • Options
    mookieb10mookieb10 Posts: 930
    VinylGirl wrote:

Yes, and since all things last forever, this thread should be locked and we should not even have the right to discuss it.
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    Matt....of the Hour :);)
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    Zod wrote:
    jorgems wrote:

Luckily for now, both bands are sticking to relatively small tours. I think this has prevented any real conflict between the two gigs. What happens if either (or both) band(s) want to do a more aggressive tour around the same time? It' easy to remain cordial when you're only touring for 2 months out of the year.. it'd be a bit tougher if both bands wanted to do 3-4 month tours.

I don't think PJ would call it quits if Matt left the band. Matt helped keep the band together when they needed it, but I don't think they would disband. Maybe they could get Jack for a tour or find another local friend who could fill in.

If he had to choose though why do we assume he'd leave pj? PJ has been a pretty good gig for Matt. He's now recorded 4 albums with pearl jam and played with pearl jam for about as long as he was in Soundgarden. Pearl Jam has never disbanded, so the gig has legs.

I think he'd choose PJ over Soundgarden if push came to shove?

After Soundgarden reformed, I read an interview with the band where Matt said Pearl Jam was his day job now. He wouldn't leave. Simple as that.

• Options
    JimNastics wrote:
    Sorry but I don't think Grohl could hold Matt's jock. I am no fan of his loud, sloppy drumming style.

You get some moronic crap spouted on this message board, but this one is right up there. Dave Grohl is one of the tightest heavy rock drummers in the history of music... all you need to do is ask the pros, forget about us lot on here. I can only assume you've got a typical anti-Nirvana / anti-Foo Fighters / anti-QOTSA / anti-TCV / anti-anything-that's-not-PJ thing going on, like many others on here.
    Wrong on all counts. Sounds like you are the one with the narrow point of view since a differing opinion than yours is deemed "moronic crap". Your "assumption" is evidence you didn't read (or comprehend) everything in my post. I like Dave and the Foos, a LOT. I just don't care for his drumming. I find he is loud and heavy ALL the TIME and I like some variation, fluctuating dynamics and versatility in my percussion. That style suits MY TASTES. I am quite aware that many people, many of them with much higher drumming "credentials" than myself, believe Dave to be a fantastic drummer. But this is a discussion board where people share heir opinions. These "greatest ever" statements are why I feel he is overrated IMO
    ~~~~~~~Vinyl For Sale (shipping costs in North America included)~~~~~~~
    The Who - Phases Box Set. Ltd. Ed. All 9 studio albums w/ Moon (11 discs) $200
    ^discogs entry link^
    Peter Gabriel - Up 200 gram 'Classic Records' audiophile version. Sealed. $225
    ^discogs entry link^
    Van Halen - I 180 gram Remastered 'DCC Compact Classic' version. Ltd. Ed. (#53!). Sealed. $175
    ^discogs entry link^
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    If Matt Cameron left the band (not a great decision) I would be more than happy to replace him.
    6/16/2008 Columbia, SC, 10/30/09-10/31/09 Philly, EV Solo 6/26/11 Detroit, 9/3/11-9/4/11 Alpine Valley, 9/30/2012 Missoula,MT 7/16/13 London, ON *****FIRST ROW****, 7/19/13 Chicago, IL, 10/30/13 Charlotte, NC. 4/21/2008 Columbia, SC, 5/2/2016 MSG2
  • Options
    southernmanfansouthernmanfan Johannesburg, South Africa Posts: 1,016
    If Matt Cameron left the band (not a great decision) I would be more than happy to replace him.

Me too. I am a drummer too and can play last kiss and soldier of love! :lol:
    rustedsigns
  • Options
    The band would make a ukulele record. Withouth drums, of course.
    November 22nd, 2005.
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    jorgems wrote:
    3. Jimmy Chamberlain: I think he's also free, but too many personal issues and don't like his style personally (too melodic).

No thanks. These guys don't need someone like Jimmy Chamberlain to drag them down. He's a great drummer but no, no thanks.
  • Options
    Let's hope Matt never leaves because if he does there will be no more Pearl Jam.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    VinylGirlVinylGirl Posts: 551
    BinFrog wrote:
    VinylGirl wrote:

Chill? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm all about debating and giving opinions. My "lock it" comment was a sarcastic reference to all the other "what if Matt wasn't the drummer" threads that have been discussed and locked on here before. Gets lost in translation.... 8-)