*** St. Paul II Fanviews 6/27 Here ***

edwhoedwho Posts: 811
edited June 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
~

Pearl Jam Set List: (Interstellar Overdrive) / Corduroy, Severed Hand, Hail Hail, Love Boat Captain, World Wide Suicide, Marker In The Sand, Given To Fly, Even Flow, Light Years, Not For You, Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town, Come Back, State Of Love And Trust, Glorified G, Black, Life Wasted, Alive

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers Set List: Listen To Her Heart, You Don't Know How It Feels, I Won't Back Down, Free Fallin', Saving Grace, I'm Crying, Oh Well, The Waiting (with Ed), Cabin Down Below, Good To Be King, Learning To Fly, Don't Come Around Here No More, Refugee, Running Down A Dream
House in the Woods?, Mary Jane’s Last Dance? *

1st Encore: You Wreck Me, Mystic Eyes, American Girl (with Ed)

This thread is reserved for the lucky fans that were there.

Please post your Fanview if you were in attendance.

Early Pearl Jam set list from Message Pits “Ayedavanita,” “ACCBootlegGoddess” and theskyiscrape.com

Set list source: tenclub.net

* TP&TH set list may be incorrect and or out of order

~

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• solat9solat9 Posts: 20
    Stone played Black with an electric guitar!

That alone made me happy. We Belong Together was beautiful.

Stone did like a disco point during Glorified G which was just hilarious.

Intersteller Overdrive is a sick opener. Completely unexpected.

Light Years was awesome. Come Back was the bathroom break song for everyone.

Eddie's mic wasn't turned on AT ALL during The Waiting, it was fucking bush league. They went the entire song with his mic not on.
  • IshmaelIshmael Posts: 12
    Just got back from the show... another great night. Let me give some thoughts about the set:

Interstellar Overdrive - really unexpected. Transitioned nicely into Corduroy.
    Severed Hand & Marker In The Sand - 2 great live additions to their repertoire.
    Light Years - dedicated to Peter Gammons. Eddie basically said he wanted to dedicate this next song to a friend "Peter" who was having some health problems and is actually in the hospital. Wanted everyone in the crowd to think good thoughts about Peter. Big applause.
    Not For You - lyric change: "small my table, now sits three, I've got a baby, how lucky are we" or something to that effect!
    Come Back - this is the start of an epic live song. It will reach Black status at some point.
    Glorified G - Stoney was doing a disco-arm thing. Classic
    Life Wasted - major crowd energy on this one.
    Alive - was hoping for a different closer, but the entire crowd loved it, including the Petty rubes.
    The Waiting - many people were trying to point out to Eddie that his mic was not working. Unfortunately he sang the whole sing and nobody heard it. I felt bad for him.
    American Girl - after Petty introduced him again, Eddie immediately went to the mic and said "check" - which got a hugh ovation!

Overally a great experience. I'm sure there will be many who want to compare the crowd reactions between PJ and Petty, who had more applause, who sang along more. Here's the fact: EVERYONE knows Petty songs, so obviously the entire crowd was singing along. Only PJ fans know all the PJ songs. So there was definitely more crowd reaction/energy during Petty's set. Also, Petty fans were late arriving, so they couldn't be singing for the early PJ songs. But in the end, it doesn't matter. All of us who were there had our own special experience. Who cares which act got more applause. The music was great and I'll never forget it.
  • evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,836
    You neglected to mentione Mike played the whole Alive solo behind his back. The place just about exploded after Alive. Again, the booo's were there when there was no encore.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • RhynoRhyno Posts: 304
    evenflow82 wrote:
    You neglected to mentione Mike played the whole Alive solo behind his back. The place just about exploded after Alive.

That was amazing!

Again PJ played a great set IMO. A little longer than last nights, but still not enough. I have to say I am glad I'll be seeing them in San Diego. I need to see a true pj set this tour with a couple of encores. I was disappointed that all of PJ didn't come out for the encores. I was hoping I'd see Yellow Ledbetter or something with all of PJ to close out the night.

One comment on the Petty fans...I had some jackass Petty fan in front of me (in a biker week tshirt). I was cheering for Pearl Jam and he turned around and said, "Fuck Pearl Jam."
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
    solat9 wrote:
    Come Back was the bathroom break song for everyone.

Whoever went to the bathroom missed out. I love Comeback and was so excited to hear it! There's no way I'd leave to take a piss during PJ...Petty yes, PJ no.
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

11/30/1991 ~ 3/25/92 ~ 8/28/92 ~ 6/30/98 ~ 10/8/2000 ~ 6/18/2003 ~ 6/21/2003 ~ 6/26/2006 ~ 6/27/2006 ~ 7/7/2006 ~ 8/5/2007 ~ 6/24/2008 ~ ALPINE VALLEY in '09 ;-)
  • solat9solat9 Posts: 20
    Rhyno wrote:
    Whoever went to the bathroom missed out. I love Comeback and was so excited to hear it! There's no way I'd leave to take a piss during PJ...Petty yes, PJ no.
    I know, I loved it, but I noticed a lot of people heading to the bathroom during it.
    solat9 wrote:
    I know, I loved it, but I noticed a lot of people heading to the bathroom during it.

I hear ya. They missed out!
    Cheers!
    Rhyno

Naturally i dug the PJ set more.

That version of Alive was absolutely sick. Never have I seen that song performed so well. Life Wasted also carried a TON of energy with Ed jumping all over the place.

What the hell was up with Petty's 'Mystic Eyes' (or whatever it's called). God, that song was about 54 minutes long. Enough. The person has mystic eyes. Good for them. End it already!

Come back to Minnesota again, PJ. We love to have you here!
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • So how long was the actual PJ set? Was it 90 min? I'm seeing them in Denver and I'm curious...and what time did they go on? 7:30?
    Paint Me A Picture
    Paint It By the Sea
    It Doesn't Matter
    If It Looks Like Me
    If It Comes From the Heart
    and it Comes From You
    Nothing Else Will Matter
    Your Heart Is What Is True
  • Just some quick impressions...

• "Intersteller Overdrive" - is that what that was? I thought is was some cool improv thing or a riff from a b-side or something. Forgive my ignorance but who's it by? Cool nontheless...

• The set overall was balanced perfectly. They really kept things moving (unlike Petty who, though I liked him, felt the need to say "thank you" 12 times and talk between every damn song).

• "Come Back" - friggin' awesome. Ed played guitar, which was surprising to me.

• "Evenflow"/"Black" probably the best versions I've ever seen of these in person. The "Evenflow" solo was cool and started out real low-key before Miguel began the fretboard wankery. Sweet.

• "Alive" - best version I've seen. Mike did the entire solo behind his back and it was as flawless and complex as if he'd played it in front of him.

• New songs - All sounded great. Got to hear both "Life Wasted" and "Severed Hand" which is fantastic. "Life Wasted" in particular was awesome. I've said it before but that's just a classic PJ rocker and easily the best song on the Avocado.

• "Land of 1,000" lakes" - Uh, that's 10,000 Ed, but never mind. :-) He joked that "Small Town" was dedicated to the 993rd lake. Funny if not factually correct.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • evenflow82 wrote:
    Naturally i dug the PJ set more.

That version of Alive was absolutely sick. Never have I seen that song performed so well. Life Wasted also carried a TON of energy with Ed jumping all over the place.

What the hell was up with Petty's 'Mystic Eyes' (or whatever it's called). God, that song was about 54 minutes long. Enough. The person has mystic eyes. Good for them. End it already!

Come back to Minnesota again, PJ. We love to have you here!

Haha, yeah that "Mystic Eyes" song went on a tad to long. Plus it was kind of an odd, low tempo thing to do for an encore but, oh well.

Where'd you sit btw?
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
    Haha, yeah that "Mystic Eyes" song went on a tad to long. Plus it was kind of an odd, low tempo thing to do for an encore but, oh well.

Where'd you sit btw?

fifth row up from the floor, section 102 (stone's side), fifth seat in. I was wearing a ramones shirt and tan cargo pants.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
    Just some quick impressions...

• "Intersteller Overdrive" - is that what that was? I thought is was some cool improv thing or a riff from a b-side or something. Forgive my ignorance but who's it by? Cool nontheless...

Interstellar Overdrive is from Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd. Barret was the original founder of Pink Floyd. He was with the band for their first album, 1967's 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn.' He was schizophrenic and began taking a lot of LSD. He had a mental breakdown and was fired from the band. Interstellar overdrive is off of the floyd's first album (piper). It's a ten minute psychedelic freakout with the riff popping a few times.
    Btw, Barrett's pink floyd was much different than the radio floyd everybody knows. It was very brittish psychedelic pop oriented. That's the deal on interstellar overdrive.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

-Stephen Colbert
  • TemoryianTemoryian Posts: 40
    IT is too bad that petty isnt opening for PJ. The PJ setlist tonight was exactly 90 minutes. I too was disappointed to see the rest of the band not come out and encore with eddy and petty. When eddies mike wasnt turned on...yes that did suck and never would have happened with pearl jams crew. Eddie would have started over and taken his lumps like a real rockstar:) I was disappointed with petty. Their setlist was almost identical to last nights. As for their friend peter...i didnt know peter gammons had an anneurysm (spelling) until after PJ's set....went to check score of the twins game and found out...anyhow...thats my rambling for now...great pj as always...just needed to play their usual show but after TP.
    08-10-00 East Troy, WI..."The Icebowl"
    10-03-04 Grand Rapids, MI
    09-09-05 Thunder Bay, ON
    05-16/17-06 Chicago, Ill.
    06-26/27-06 St. Paul, MN.
    08-02-07 Chicago, Ill.
    08-05-07 Chicago, Ill.
    http://www.myspace.com/mitchperzichilli
  • How much time inbewteen PJ's set and Petty's set?
  • gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    only 5 repeats from night 1 (alive, evenflow, given to fly, life wasted, wws) ain't that bad.
    that leaves 29 non-repeats for the two nights together.

(also, all 8 albums were represented on night II; maybe this is the first time this has happened on this tour??? just guessing, i could easily be wrong)
  • go2theshowgo2theshow Posts: 79
    Night 2 was sweet! Mike playing Alive behind his back was incredible. Stone did some classic rubbernecking. Simply another bad ass Pearl Jam performance.

Comic relief moment:
    A wasted "Vedder 27" pulls the lyrics out of his pocket to sing along.

Couldn't stand to sit through Petty for a second straight night so we gave our tickets to some fans in the very last row. If you ladies are on the board, I hope you enjoyed the show.
  • jamestr1jamestr1 Posts: 185
    awesome, glad to hear they only played a few dupes.

Does anyone have the Petty setlist, I'd be interested to know how many dupes they played?
  • crowplutocrowpluto Posts: 5
    I gotta say, 90 mins or 120 mins, this PJ show rocked. Super hard-core versions of Cordoroy, Life Wasted, Elderly Woman, Black, Alive, and my personal favorite Not For You, which I can't believe they played. Ed mixed up the words to that one near the end and ended up singing something like "I forgot the words..." The lyric change incorporating his baby was quite good. The band was in really good spirits and the energy level was really high the whole time. I couldn't make night 1, but this was well worth the $90 tix price, especially because I can't get to other shows.

Petty was good. His band, especially his lead guitarist, is stellar. Ed's mike was off for the first song he sung with them so they made sure it was on for American Girl. I'm told that Petty's setlist was very similar to night 1.

Oh, and in answer to someone's question - there was a long break in between sets. Maybe half an hour?

Great time. Great show.
  • chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    Both nights taken together was an amazing setlist. The new songs are really strong and Life Wasted from night 2 nearly killed me from jumping and screaming. Only downer was I hoping for Yellow Ledbetter after Alive and Ed's mic not working on The Waiting was a total buzzkill.
  • baggio16baggio16 Posts: 29
    go2theshow wrote:
    Couldn't stand to sit through Petty for a second straight night so we gave our tickets to some fans in the very last row. If you ladies are on the board, I hope you enjoyed the show.

We did the exact same thing.
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    What is Interstellar Overdrive?
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 151
    5th row dead fucking center.

I dont want to sound like everyone else does when they talk about "this being the best show ever"

but holy fuckballs if "life wasteD" wasnt the single best fucking pearl jam performance ive ever seen (26 shows)...

the crowd was going nuts, ed was dancing, jumping, off speakers, monitors, cameron was pounding away, stone, ament...it was fucking intense and the crowd exploded. Then came alive...WOW.

sorry petty that we rocked so goddamn hard.

night one was just straight out rocking, intense...

night two was that...but also anm emotionally moving performance. Light years was gorgoeus, comeback..i cant belive some dont like this song...absolutely beautiful. Watching black (stone on electric, fuck yes) i was thinking....wow, ed wrote this song 16 years ago or so and has sang it millions of times....he still sings it like he just wrote it. intersteller overdrive...wow.

Ok ill stop. Life wasted blew my fucking mind.
  • madtownmadtown Posts: 2
    i was at night 1 in St.Paul but not night 2...was Petty's setlist the same on night 2? if not, how many different songs did he play?
    Madison - 3/26/92
    Chicago - 8/2/92, 10/9/00, 8/23/09
    Milwaukee - 7/9/95; 6/29/06, 6/30/06
    Alpine Valley - 6/26/98, 6/27/98, 10/8/00, 6/21/03
    Phoenix - 6/7/03
    Vancouver - 9/2/05
    St. Paul - 6/26/06

"SPIN me round, ROLL(ing stone) me over, f*cking CIRCUS!"
  • LifeWasted21LifeWasted21 Posts: 151
    madtown wrote:
    i was at night 1 in St.Paul but not night 2...was Petty's setlist the same on night 2? if not, how many different songs did he play?

he played like two different songs. he played goodt o be king, which is great and they jammed it nicely...

funny though, his speeches were exactly the same. i wil lsay, learning to fly..the way he does it is simply beautiful.

The show would be awesome if we just didnt get our faces rocked off by pearl jam.
  • PJ's set was phenominal. Rocked insanely hard. Mike had some tech problems with his guitars for a couple songs...could tell he was pissed about it but kept his cool. It pissed Ed off more and he threw a mic stand off the stage haha.

Life Wasted rocked more than any song I've seen lately...all 16,000 people in the place were going apeshit. You could tell they won over every person in that arena...petty fans included.
    "I'll do whatever the song dictates - if it doesn't need a real lead, then I won't do one. But if it does, then I'll fuckin' go off." - Mike

"Japan is awesome; the fans there knew all the words to all the songs...at least phonetically." - Stone

"I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version." - EV
  • slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,740
    evenflow82 wrote:
    Just some quick impressions...

Interstellar Overdrive is from Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd. Barret was the original founder of Pink Floyd. He was with the band for their first album, 1967's 'Piper at the Gates of Dawn.' He was schizophrenic and began taking a lot of LSD. He had a mental breakdown and was fired from the band. Interstellar overdrive is off of the floyd's first album (piper). It's a ten minute psychedelic freakout with the riff popping a few times.
    Btw, Barrett's pink floyd was much different than the radio floyd everybody knows. It was very brittish psychedelic pop oriented. That's the deal on interstellar overdrive.

PJ also opened with/played the interstellar/corduroy combo A LOT on the '98 and 2000 tours. Anybody with more than two 2000 boots has heard it.

Glad they've brought it back.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • nooramnooram Posts: 388
    i was thirteenth row on floor - I was quite distracted by the video screens during Petty's set - kept watching them instead of the performers - glad eddie had them kill the screens at the start of PJ's set
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    Rhyno wrote:

I totally agree. They slowed it down, Ed was singing from the heart. It took some discipline but was a great highlight from last night.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.
  • JoanneJoanne Posts: 98
    How much time inbewteen PJ's set and Petty's set?

ONe entire LONG hour.
    We're still making records for people who listen to it all the way through, eyes closed, in that space.