WELCOME TO THE JAMILY

erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
edited December 2011 in The Porch
i was reading a post on another forum a little bit ago about shows & somebody bitchin about "noobs". i'm new to the boards, haven't been to a hundred shows, but i've been a fan since 92. to all the fans that are new to the band WELCOME TO THE JAMILY!! it's great to have you! you're part of the reason this band keeps going! there's no need for elitism- that's not what pearl jam represent. yeah from 1993-1997 they resented the overexposure they recieved because they felt suffocated & probably frightened by the magnitude of how overwhelming their success was suddenly thrust upon them. they've grown. i've been guilty of bitching about miniscule problems, like prices, limited edition goods -petty problems in the scope of life. i've grown up with them. i wouldn't be the person i am today without this band in my life. i'm glad there's a new wave of fans coming along. pearl jam should trancend not condescend, so to speak. i may have spelled that wrong - bfd. the guidelines posted or the board rules are the philosophy of the band. i don't agree with everything that goes on around here- but that's what karma is for. these boards are just like any place you go in life. theres assholes, there's cool people, there's all kinds. i'm not passing judgement, just expressing my opinion. but again, to any new fans out there: WELCOME- to quote phish- i'm glad,glad,glad you've arrived. i'm sure the band & 10c are too!
"It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,337
    A big part of joy when I go to shows, is I briefly think about those in the audience who are seeing them for the first time and will soon be harvested by the 10c.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    that's it. converts! i'm happy their growing again. it sucked always hearing "i like 10 & vs." if i had a dollar for everytime i heard that after somebody asked me who my favorite band was, i could make 3 mortgage payments! even my own friends turned during no code. i loved in the movie when mike mentioned that around the time of binaural, is when a lot of people moved on. avacado & backspacer brought some new fans. maybe some of the old ones came back too? i've only seen them twice & can't wait for the next tour!
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Thank you so much! I joined 10c in May of this year, discovered PJ in October 2010 at Bridge.

    My life has been so enriched by this phenomenal band, the 10c and the Jamily!

    Here's to the next 20 years!! :D :thumbup: :clap:
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,863
    erocshifty wrote:
    ..... the guidelines posted or the board rules are the philosophy of the band.....

    i disagree
  • Pearl Jam have been my favorite band since 1992. From the first time I saw them live at Lollapalooza, that 45 minute set changed my life and how I felt about music. In fact I look at my life like BPJ (Before Pearl Jam) and APJ (After Pearl Jam) because they have had that much affect on my life.

    I went through the crazy years when everyone said they loved them, but were really only part of the hype, and the subsequent years when they fell off the map as far as being "popular." I heard it a lot too; "I liked Ten and Vs. but that's it." Oh well, they're loss was my gain. I stuck around and my love for the band continued to grow with each new album and tour. No Code, Yield and Binaural were all commercial "failures" but all the true fans realized the band was just getting better and better. And the new fans that were discovering PJ for the first time were getting to hear the band in this stage and then getting to experience the older records without all the fuss. And now it seems to be at a point where the band is getting more popularity again because of the nostalgia of the 90's, and like you said "the older fans" who may have forgotten about them in the late 90's are remembering what it was that made Pearl Jam so special. it's quite simple; it's the music, and the community and people it inspires. Old fans, new fans, were all the same. We love this band and their music! And apparently their merch too!

    The band, it's fans, the Ten Club have all changed over the years. When I first joined the Ten Club, I had to send my membership fees in a money order through snail mail. It was so small. I would get the newsletter and the 45 and I was happy with that. The internet has changed the Ten Club big time. It has grown, evolved, morphed into this beautiful entity that is what you called a "Jamily." And were all part of it. The band, old fans, new fans, die-hards and casuals. And we all have atleast one thing in common and that is a love and passion for this band, it's members, it's employee's and fellow fans. Yeah we won't all always get along, it's like sibling rivalry I think which is bound to happen in a group this big. But I'm amazed at how many people have found love, friendship, advice, sympathy, fellow musicians, that poster they always wanted, the list goes on and on, from this fan club and it's forum. Yes there is a lot of bullshit, but the good far out weighs the bad.

    One big happy JAMILY! :D
  • Welcome.

    Please stop using the term Jamily.

    :D

    (j/k)
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • Welcome.

    Please stop using the term Jamily.

    :D

    (j/k)

    I know, I used to think it was cheesy, but a little cheese never hurt anyone!

    Except for the mouse who went for the piece in the trap. That cheese hurt!
  • Thank you so much! I joined 10c in May of this year, discovered PJ in October 2010 at Bridge.

    My life has been so enriched by this phenomenal band, the 10c and the Jamily!

    Here's to the next 20 years!! :D :thumbup: :clap:



    You have some catching up to do :D

    If you catch bootleg, vinyl or poster fever... it's all over ;)
    -Chris
    Male, 34

    I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

    1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Pamela0222Pamela0222 Posts: 1,544
    Thank you so much! I joined 10c in May of this year, discovered PJ in October 2010 at Bridge.

    My life has been so enriched by this phenomenal band, the 10c and the Jamily!

    Here's to the next 20 years!! :D :thumbup: :clap:



    You have some catching up to do :D

    If you catch bootleg, vinyl or poster fever... it's all over ;)


    Crap...!! :lol:;)
    The thing I like most about time is that it's not real. It's all in the head. Sure, it's a useful trick to use if you want to meet someone at a specific place in the universe and have tea or coffee- but that's all it is- a trick. There is no such thing as the past. It exists only in the memory. There is no such thing as the future. It exists only in our imagination. If our watches were truly accurate, the only thing they would ever say is "Now". That's what time it is. It's "Now". - Damien Echols
  • Welcome.

    Please stop using the term Jamily.

    :D

    (j/k)

    You're joking but I hate the fucking term

    if we're all one big happy family then the people who don't swallow everything Pearl Jam does is right medicine, they get shit for it
  • FlannelGalFlannelGal Minneapolis, MNPosts: 532
    PJ has always been my only answer to "what's your favorite band". After many years of not joining TC for whatever reason, and then joining, and then letting it lapse, I have rejoined this year. So while I don't exactly fit into the category of person you are welcoming, I'll take it anyways :)

    I think PJ is reaching a whole new crop of fans. I work with some very young college interns and when they asked what I did over Labor Day weekends I said I went to a concert (figuring they wouldn't know who Pearl Jam was). They asked me who and i told them and they were super excited and started asking me all these questions. One even said she had an album (ok, it was Rearviewmirror, but I'll take it. I also had to explain what "B-side" meant, but that's off topic).

    There are always problems in every family, but I find it great to have a place where I know people share my same excitement for this band - it makes me feel a little less crazy!
    07-09-95 Milwaukee, WI (Summerfest) - 10-08-00 Alpine Valley Music -06-16-03 St. Paul, MN - 09-03-11 Alpine Valley Music Theatre -09-04-11 Alpine Valley Music Theatre - 09-30-12 Missoula, MT - 07-19-13 Wrigley Field - 11-15-13 Dallas, TX - 10-3-14 St Louis, MO - 10-19-14 St Paul, MN
  • Well said friend.
    Pearl Jam have been my favorite band since 1992. From the first time I saw them live at Lollapalooza, that 45 minute set changed my life and how I felt about music. In fact I look at my life like BPJ (Before Pearl Jam) and APJ (After Pearl Jam) because they have had that much affect on my life.

    I went through the crazy years when everyone said they loved them, but were really only part of the hype, and the subsequent years when they fell off the map as far as being "popular." I heard it a lot too; "I liked Ten and Vs. but that's it." Oh well, they're loss was my gain. I stuck around and my love for the band continued to grow with each new album and tour. No Code, Yield and Binaural were all commercial "failures" but all the true fans realized the band was just getting better and better. And the new fans that were discovering PJ for the first time were getting to hear the band in this stage and then getting to experience the older records without all the fuss. And now it seems to be at a point where the band is getting more popularity again because of the nostalgia of the 90's, and like you said "the older fans" who may have forgotten about them in the late 90's are remembering what it was that made Pearl Jam so special. it's quite simple; it's the music, and the community and people it inspires. Old fans, new fans, were all the same. We love this band and their music! And apparently their merch too!

    The band, it's fans, the Ten Club have all changed over the years. When I first joined the Ten Club, I had to send my membership fees in a money order through snail mail. It was so small. I would get the newsletter and the 45 and I was happy with that. The internet has changed the Ten Club big time. It has grown, evolved, morphed into this beautiful entity that is what you called a "Jamily." And were all part of it. The band, old fans, new fans, die-hards and casuals. And we all have atleast one thing in common and that is a love and passion for this band, it's members, it's employee's and fellow fans. Yeah we won't all always get along, it's like sibling rivalry I think which is bound to happen in a group this big. But I'm amazed at how many people have found love, friendship, advice, sympathy, fellow musicians, that poster they always wanted, the list goes on and on, from this fan club and it's forum. Yes there is a lot of bullshit, but the good far out weighs the bad.

    One big happy JAMILY! :D
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Jamily, Jammers, The Faithful... whatever

    it's the loving message behind the words

    and yes welcome ! :D
  • pandora wrote:
    Jamily, Jammers, The Faithful... whatever

    it's the loving message behind the words

    and yes welcome ! :D


    The Faithful... my personal fave!
  • pandora wrote:
    Jamily, Jammers, The Faithful... whatever

    it's the loving message behind the words

    and yes welcome ! :D


    The Faithful... my personal fave!

    What about
    The Cropdusters?
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • pandora wrote:
    Jamily, Jammers, The Faithful... whatever

    it's the loving message behind the words

    and yes welcome ! :D


    The Faithful... my personal fave!

    What about
    The Cropdusters?

    Oooooooh I like it!
  • derbydavederbydave Columbus, OHPosts: 11,254
    Thank you so much! I joined 10c in May of this year, discovered PJ in October 2010 at Bridge.

    My life has been so enriched by this phenomenal band, the 10c and the Jamily!

    Here's to the next 20 years!! :D :thumbup: :clap:



    You have some catching up to do :D

    If you catch bootleg, vinyl or poster fever... it's all over ;)

    What happens when you CATCH ALL 3??? :lol::lol::lol:
    (I think I may have picked up the "TOURING BUG" too!!!)

    Welcome to the boards...
    Hope you have as much fun here as I do!!! :ugeek:

    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '20: Nashville / St. Louis

    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

  • derbydave wrote:
    Thank you so much! I joined 10c in May of this year, discovered PJ in October 2010 at Bridge.

    My life has been so enriched by this phenomenal band, the 10c and the Jamily!

    Here's to the next 20 years!! :D :thumbup: :clap:



    You have some catching up to do :D

    If you catch bootleg, vinyl or poster fever... it's all over ;)

    What happens when you CATCH ALL 3??? :lol::lol::lol:
    Welcome to the boards...
    Hope you have as much fun here as I do!!! :ugeek:

    Herpes, Gonorrhea, and Chlamydia?
    Ahhh. The TRIFECTA!
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • CheeksCheeks Posts: 151
    I remember the first time I listened to Ten when I was just 12 and I`ve been a fan ever since--a quiet fan though. I`d buy the albums when they were released and listen quietly in my room while doing homework. I was lucky to see them live in 1998, but this year was the first year since that we`ve been able to afford the luxury of concerts, but we were able to see both EV and PJ this year. Other than CDs, I don`t own a single PJ item, not even a t-shirt or sticker. But I love the band. I`ve jumped around on my bed dancing to them and cried myself to sleep listening to them. I just want to hear their songs....

    I finally joined 10C because I think my friends and family are sick of me talking about PJ songs and meanings... that`s why I`m here. But I have to be honest and say I find these boards a little intimidating. I kind of feel like people think I`m less of a fan because I`m new or haven`t been to 100 shows and don`t collect stuff. Anyway, it was nice to read this welcome thread--I`m one of the Faithful.
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    i like the faithfull. i wasn't very web savvy until the last couple of years., though. just skimmed online to read about news/boots, stuff like that. i agree that it has changed since the beginning of the century. remember the cool parting ways intro? i always knew that everybody else was missing out as well. i was pissed when the media hailed avacado as a "comeback"- yeah, that's one of the songs on it, but they never went away! like ed said during the drop in the park we're like a rash they thought they'd never catch! there have been hiccups or missteps. i don't think this band is infalible-they're human... they have been really fun to grow up with, though. every record sounds different than the one before it. i spent the day driving & listened to the mookie demos & the ten demos. those are even drastically different in what- 3 months time? we need more positivity & that's all i'm trying to spread. my favorite records are the least 2 popular ones: binaural & riot act. maybe it's because of what was going on in my life, who knows? what got me hooked was unplugged in 92. then with vs., vitalogy & the live in atlanta box-fugget about it....live they are very hard to touch. from any era. their records are my favorite. no other band comes close for me. am i biased? hell yeah! i'm happy they're finally getting the respect they deserve. they continually challenge their audience & for that i am grateful. yeah- the "jamily" is corny- so let's go with the faithfull. we all believe...
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • Cheeks wrote:
    I remember the first time I listened to Ten when I was just 12 and I`ve been a fan ever since--a quiet fan though. I`d buy the albums when they were released and listen quietly in my room while doing homework. I was lucky to see them live in 1998, but this year was the first year since that we`ve been able to afford the luxury of concerts, but we were able to see both EV and PJ this year. Other than CDs, I don`t own a single PJ item, not even a t-shirt or sticker. But I love the band. I`ve jumped around on my bed dancing to them and cried myself to sleep listening to them. I just want to hear their songs....

    I finally joined 10C because I think my friends and family are sick of me talking about PJ songs and meanings... that`s why I`m here. But I have to be honest and say I find these boards a little intimidating. I kind of feel like people think I`m less of a fan because I`m new or haven`t been to 100 shows and don`t collect stuff. Anyway, it was nice to read this welcome thread--I`m one of the Faithful.


    Dude. You're no less of a fan than me. And i'm no less of a fan than anyone else. You're a Pearl Jam fan. I'm a Pearl Jam fan. Don't be intimidated. I have tons and tons of PJ shit, much more than i need, really. But if you're standing beside me at a show and you're singing every lyric to every song like i am (lol as best i can anyway), that's all that matters. It's about the music, not how much you own/collect.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

    I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

    1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • Cheeks wrote:
    I remember the first time I listened to Ten when I was just 12 and I`ve been a fan ever since--a quiet fan though. I`d buy the albums when they were released and listen quietly in my room while doing homework. I was lucky to see them live in 1998, but this year was the first year since that we`ve been able to afford the luxury of concerts, but we were able to see both EV and PJ this year. Other than CDs, I don`t own a single PJ item, not even a t-shirt or sticker. But I love the band. I`ve jumped around on my bed dancing to them and cried myself to sleep listening to them. I just want to hear their songs....

    I finally joined 10C because I think my friends and family are sick of me talking about PJ songs and meanings... that`s why I`m here. But I have to be honest and say I find these boards a little intimidating. I kind of feel like people think I`m less of a fan because I`m new or haven`t been to 100 shows and don`t collect stuff. Anyway, it was nice to read this welcome thread--I`m one of the Faithful.


    Dude. You're no less of a fan than me. And i'm no less of a fan than anyone else. You're a Pearl Jam fan. I'm a Pearl Jam fan. Don't be intimidated. I have tons and tons of PJ shit, much more than i need, really. But if you're standing beside me at a show and you're singing every lyric to every song like i am (lol as best i can anyway), that's all that matters. It's about the music, not how much you own/collect.

    Exactly. Don't be intimidated by other fans who have big collections; that's called collection envy :lol:

    The amount of merch you have, or the amount of posts you have written or how many shows you have been too does not make you a bigger or better fan than anyone else. The love of the music does. Plain and simple.
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    The Faithful...

    it's the loving message behind the words

    and yes welcome ! :D

    This one. Because when I'm at Pearl Jam shows I feel like I'm in church.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Thanks so much for the warm welcome!!

    I have to admit, I have "caught" two out of three- bootleg fever and vinyl fever! And I think poster fever will not be too far behind! ;)

    And I think I must have caught touring fever, as I went to Canada for three concerts-trying to make up for lost time! :D
    "A beacon on dry land"
Sign In or Register to comment.