Forced vaccination

JohnnyguitarwatsonJohnnyguitarwatson Posts: 296
edited October 2011 in A Moving Train
My wife is being forced to get the flu shot... She works in the medical field.
Other than being fired, what options does she have to avoid the shot ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    I'm sure to draw fire for suggesting this, but you might post your question here:

http://www.aclu.org/contact-us
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    what's her beef with the flu shot?
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    Here's another idea- have her ask if she can wear a surgical mask in lieu of the vaccination during flu season.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• conman wrote:
    what's her beef with the flu shot?

Don't believe in it.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i work in medicine, and i believe that it is unethical for anyone involved in direct patient care, especially caring for the elderly and those with a depressed immune system, it is reckless and unethical to NOT get the shot.

people in health care are charged with caring for others, and if you fail to get the flu vaccine you run the risk of exposing others to a virus that can potentially kill them. it is counter to the whole concept of patients seeking help from a medical professional....

you have to get other injections, hep b vaccine, etc, so a flu shot is not going to be a big deal.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    i work in medicine, and i believe that it is unethical for anyone involved in direct patient care, especially caring for the elderly and those with a depressed immune system, it is reckless and unethical to NOT get the shot.

people in health care are charged with caring for others, and if you fail to get the flu vaccine you run the risk of exposing others to a virus that can potentially kill them. it is counter to the whole concept of patients seeking help from a medical professional....

you have to get other injections, hep b vaccine, etc, so a flu shot is not going to be a big deal.

It's a personal choice.

It's a personal choice.
    still it is a matter of ethically caring for your patients.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

It's a personal choice.
    not for me it isn't, for the military it's mandatory

i also work in medical and i've had the flu shot every year for the past 4 years, never got sick, never had any problems
    conman wrote:

It's a personal choice.
    not for me it isn't, for the military it's mandatory

i also work in medical and i've had the flu shot every year for the past 4 years, never got sick, never had any problems

It was your choice to join the military. I also get the flu shot. The flu sucks.
  • JS81606JS81606 Posts: 73
    Really sorry to hear your wife is being forced. So much for a free society! As my wife is a physcian and works with so many geriatic, she will not pubicly say anything against vaccines, but she has a huge page of printed material, from the likes of the Merck Manual, Harrison's Internal Medicine Text, and research from the HHS, showing the damning affects of vaccines. Her staff just simply allow the patients to read said articles, and have their own informed decisions. By the way, she works with a boat load of Alzheimer's patients, and she tells family members, "six flu shots and you're guaranteed Alzheimer's" How she knows I do not know, but her patients are some of the healthiest people I have ever met. Also, it isn't the flu virus, it is the crap they put in it, primarily the aluminum. So My take is your wife has the right of refusal, and if it isn't in a contract, her employer is out of line. As vaccines are a heated topic, I just think so little in researched regarding vaccines, yet most will research the shit our of a dvd player. Go figure. Also, we have neglected to remember the neuro-surgeon who sued and won a lawsuit for the damages done to his daughter due to vaccines. This will continue unitl we stand up and tell Big Pharma and the Insurance Industry that destroying innocent people is not what this country is about, unless it is war of course. Just my two sense.(cents)
    It was your choice to join the military. I also get the flu shot. The flu sucks.
    and it was your wife's choice to work in the medical field so getting the flu shot pretty much comes with the territory
    conman wrote:
    and it was your wife's choice to work in the medical field so getting the flu shot pretty much comes with the territory

Not my wife. But yes, precisely. If it was in her contract than she has to get it.
    conman wrote:

Not my wife. But yes, precisely. If it was in her contract than she has to get it.
    :lol: i'm an idiot.
    Not my wife. But yes, precisely. If it was in her contract than she has to get it.[/quote]
    :lol: i'm an idiot.[/quote]

That's alright I'm pretty tired too. :lol:
  • ShawshankShawshank Posts: 1,018
    What I love is how they market flu vaccines, they say they are using "dead" or "killed" strains of the forecast virus. I'm surprised they even reference it that way, since that alone is probably the biggest piece of false advertising out there since they are not, nor have they ever been a living entity.

Flu vaccines are such a crap shoot. It's like trying to predict the next hurricane season. You can make some educated guesses, but it's still nothing more than a guess.
    Shawshank wrote:
    What I love is how they market flu vaccines, they say they are using "dead" or "killed" strains of the forecast virus. I'm surprised they even reference it that way, since that alone is probably the biggest piece of false advertising out there since they are not, nor have they ever been a living entity.

Flu vaccines are such a crap shoot. It's like trying to predict the next hurricane season. You can make some educated guesses, but it's still nothing more than a guess.

All I know is I haven't gotten the flu in years and I used to get it every year before I started getting flu shots.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    JS81606 wrote:
    Really sorry to hear your wife is being forced. So much for a free society! As my wife is a physcian and works with so many geriatic, she will not pubicly say anything against vaccines, but she has a huge page of printed material, from the likes of the Merck Manual, Harrison's Internal Medicine Text, and research from the HHS, showing the damning affects of vaccines. Her staff just simply allow the patients to read said articles, and have their own informed decisions. By the way, she works with a boat load of Alzheimer's patients, and she tells family members, "six flu shots and you're guaranteed Alzheimer's" How she knows I do not know, but her patients are some of the healthiest people I have ever met. Also, it isn't the flu virus, it is the crap they put in it, primarily the aluminum. So My take is your wife has the right of refusal, and if it isn't in a contract, her employer is out of line. As vaccines are a heated topic, I just think so little in researched regarding vaccines, yet most will research the shit our of a dvd player. Go figure. Also, we have neglected to remember the neuro-surgeon who sued and won a lawsuit for the damages done to his daughter due to vaccines. This will continue unitl we stand up and tell Big Pharma and the Insurance Industry that destroying innocent people is not what this country is about, unless it is war of course. Just my two sense.(cents)

I would really like to see the evidence base for the statement I underlined above.
  • _ wrote:
    JS81606 wrote:

I would really like to see the evidence base for the statement I underlined above.
    It's a myth.

Myth 6: Flu shots increase risk of Alzheimer’s disease
    Reality: A theory linking flu shots to a greatly increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease has been proposed by a U.S. doctor whose license was suspended by the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. Several mainstream studies link flu shots and other vaccinations to a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease and overall better health.

•A Nov. 27, 2001, Canadian Medical Journal report suggests older adults who were vaccinated against diphtheria or tetanus, polio, and influenza seemed to have a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease than those not receiving these vaccinations. The full text of this report is posted on the journal’s Web site.

•A report in the Nov. 3, 2004, JAMA found that annual flu shots for older adults were associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes. The abstract of that report is posted on PubMed.

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_m ... eimers.asp
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    MookiesLaw wrote:
    _ wrote:
    JS81606 wrote:

It's a myth.

Myth 6: Flu shots increase risk of Alzheimer’s disease
    Reality: A theory linking flu shots to a greatly increased risk of Alzheimer’s disease has been proposed by a U.S. doctor whose license was suspended by the South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners. Several mainstream studies link flu shots and other vaccinations to a reduced risk of Alzheimer's disease and overall better health.

•A Nov. 27, 2001, Canadian Medical Journal report suggests older adults who were vaccinated against diphtheria or tetanus, polio, and influenza seemed to have a lower risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease than those not receiving these vaccinations. The full text of this report is posted on the journal’s Web site.

•A report in the Nov. 3, 2004, JAMA found that annual flu shots for older adults were associated with a reduced risk of death from all causes. The abstract of that report is posted on PubMed.

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_m ... eimers.asp

Thanks for posting. I think it's especially significant that this info is per the Alzheimer's Association, whose agenda is to end Alzheimer's, not promote flu shots. I think they, of all people/organizations, would be sure to have the most accurate info on the subject.

I'm surprised, though, that the above poster's wife, as a physician, would make the above statement to her patients.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    JS81606 wrote:
    great post!

thank you
    _ wrote:
    I'm surprised, though, that the above poster's wife, as a physician, would make the above statement to her patients.
    it makes me seriously wonder about motives here...

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I wonder why so many believe in the medical profession, it is changing so, not like your family
    doc of long ago at all. Big biz is running it now like most things.
    And they have so much to hide.

In the evening the commercials come on "if you took
    and now have had colin cancer, your colon removed,
    you may be able to sue ----"

"if you took antidepressants during your pregnancy and your child was born with serious birth defects
    you may qualify for compensation"

etc etc

like money is a cure all for being misguided and used and brutally abused.

I don't trust what is going on at all and it is only getting worse

I stay away, I may die 5/10 years earlier
    but those are the years I am wetting my pants and forgetting my name
    not living

I must edit and say some of this came out a bit wrong.
    I feel there are so many great people in the profession,
    what took them to their path... goodness and caring,
    and they are getting squeezed between, as the other poster said,
    the pill companies and the insurance companies.

I don't know the answer but I can't trust like I did when my kids were young
  • I work in the medical field too, and if we opt not to get the flu shot, we have to sign a waiver, and aren't allowed Paid Sick time if we get the flu.
    "It's all happening"
  • I have never had the Flu Shot, and have not had the flu for 15 yrs.

q
  • GTFLYGIRLGTFLYGIRL NewYork Posts: 720
    _ wrote:

hmmm... that's what i was thinking. :cry:
  • JC29856JC29856 Posts: 9,617
    Senate Bill 1558, entitled the “Women’s Cancer Prevention Act,” would require all 11- and 12-year-old students, both boys and girls, in Florida’s public schools to receive the vaccination for human papillomavirus, or HPV.

The CDC says that HPV causes nearly 31,000 cancers each year in the U.S. but says the vaccine can prevent about 28,000 from occurring.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/florida-bill-would-make-hpv-vaccine-mandatory-for-public-school-students/

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937

My wife has to get the shot and she is just a transcriptionist....and works FROM HOME!
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    JC29856 said:
    Senate Bill 1558, entitled the “Women’s Cancer Prevention Act,” would require all 11- and 12-year-old students, both boys and girls, in Florida’s public schools to receive the vaccination for human papillomavirus, or HPV.

The CDC says that HPV causes nearly 31,000 cancers each year in the U.S. but says the vaccine can prevent about 28,000 from occurring.

https://wsvn.com/news/local/florida-bill-would-make-hpv-vaccine-mandatory-for-public-school-students/

Sounds good to me. 
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    I don’t have time to read the article right now, but one question I have is why the bill is called the Women’s Cancer Prevention bill. HPV causes cancer in males, too, including both genital cancers and esophageal cancer. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    I've never had the flu shot nor have I ever had the flu.  But I have no problem with people in medical professions being required to get it.  A hospital, doctor's office, dentist office, etc is a ticking time bomb for germ spreading.  The first step in providing excellent health care is to be healthy yourself.
This discussion has been closed.