Options

The Don Cherry Thread

ParksyParksy Posts: 1,677
edited October 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
Love him or hate him folks?

Recently he's been in the media due to his views on Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan, and Jim Thomson regarding fighting in the NHL.

Personally I like him and tend to agree with most things he says.
Toronto 2000
Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
Boston I&II 2004
Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
Toronto I&II 2011
Buffalo 2013
Toronto I&II 2016
10C: 220xxx
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    i think he is a blowhard ... people take him way too seriously tho ...

i generally disagree with what he says but at the same time - i don't take him seriously enough to care
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

i generally disagree with what he says but at the same time - i don't take him seriously enough to care

:thumbup:

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    he rules. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

there it is ... the sunflowers have spoken! ... haha
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    Europeans need not reply to this thread.

don+cherry.jpg
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

My thoughts exactly.

there it is ... the sunflowers have spoken! ... haha

Case closed!
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Love him. Love his rants on no touch icing! :lol:
  • Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    True story: when the Winter Classic was at Wrigley Field, Don pissed on the shoe of one of the guys I was at the game with (not intentionally).
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    I've never really understood his position of Visor = Pussy.

If I played hockey I'd wear a visor, shit if they'd let me I'd wear a full cage like the college players do so I don't wind up like Roenick with my jaw wired shut. If I took a puck to the eye like Mats Sundin did years ago and had an orbital fracture, I wouldn't find any solace or relief in the fact that somewhere Grapes is giving me the good ole thumbs up for not being a pussy and wearing a visor.

But whoever said you can't take him seriously is right, it's his job to be controversial. I don't take him any more seriously than Jim Rome or Dan Lebatard. Although I don't think nearly as many people look up to those guys as Don Cherry, and Don is actually an influential figure in hockey as opposed to just another talking head.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan, and Jim Thomson will be on OTR tonight with Michael Lansburg- TSN 6:30 et

Dont know the whole story to this topic but Cherry rules...
    from what I could gather is that the above 3 want to stop fighting (which is bs), and Don called them hypocrites cause thats how they made their living in the NHL.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    I've never really understood his position of Visor = Pussy.

If I played hockey I'd wear a visor, shit if they'd let me I'd wear a full cage like the college players do so I don't wind up like Roenick with my jaw wired shut. If I took a puck to the eye like Mats Sundin did years ago and had an orbital fracture, I wouldn't find any solace or relief in the fact that somewhere Grapes is giving me the good ole thumbs up for not being a pussy and wearing a visor.

But whoever said you can't take him seriously is right, it's his job to be controversial. I don't take him any more seriously than Jim Rome or Dan Lebatard. Although I don't think nearly as many people look up to those guys as Don Cherry, and Don is actually an influential figure in hockey as opposed to just another talking head.

I think his take on the visor was that with the added face protection, players became a lot more liberal with high sticks and generally just more "chipper". Also, the whole fighting thing with a visor as well.

However, I did play hockey right through high school and I agree with you. If I were playing professionaly I would wear the visor as well...but heck I was a goalie and used to being very well protected.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,474
    Nami wrote:
    Stu Grimson, Chris Nilan, and Jim Thomson will be on OTR tonight with Michael Lansburg- TSN 6:30 et

from what I could gather is that the above 3 want to stop fighting (which is bs), and Don called them hypocrites cause thats how they made their living in the NHL.

Nice I will have to watch that. Personally I think Grapes rules and tend to agree with alot of the stuff he says.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    Nami wrote:

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/ ... y-comments
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    http://www.citytv.com/toronto/citynews/ ... y-comments[/quote]

Looks like Don stepped in one there... he'll man up to his mistakes though- always does.

Was it just me or was that TO/MTL game last boring?
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Europeans need not reply to this thread.

don+cherry.jpg
    Don Cherry threads should require pictures...Thank you, Satan'sFuton
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    Loved him as a kid growing up watching hockey night in canada. As I get a little older I find that im just sick of his stereotypes and prejudice. He's a bit of a clown. He's full of shit, IMO.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Options
    MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Don Cherry just speaks without thinking at times...I'll give him pass on this one.

I like Cherry...I like his stance on no touch icing, he is the only 1 that constantly points out that the shoulder pads they are using is as hard as rock (the Ontario Hockey League has switched to a softer shoulder pad), he is totally against hitting from behind, he has softened his stance on Euro players players over the years, he's against the visor because he thinks it gives players a false sense of security.

As for fighting in the game...I think eliminate the instigator rule and head shots go way down...these cheap shot pukes would think twice about taking cheap shots if they knew a guy like Probert or Kocur were about to send them into the middle of next week.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,474
    lukin2006 wrote:
    Don Cherry just speaks without thinking at times...I'll give him pass on this one.

I like Cherry...I like his stance on no touch icing, he is the only 1 that constantly points out that the shoulder pads they are using is as hard as rock (the Ontario Hockey League has switched to a softer shoulder pad), he is totally against hitting from behind, he has softened his stance on Euro players players over the years, he's against the visor because he thinks it gives players a false sense of security.

As for fighting in the game...I think eliminate the instigator rule and head shots go way down...these cheap shot pukes would think twice about taking cheap shots if they knew a guy like Probert or Kocur were about to send them into the middle of next week.

Completley agree 100% with your last paragraph
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    I thought you meant:

Don Cherry

cherry.jpg
    Backstage. Edinburgh Queen's Hall. 1990. Photo copyright marc marnie.

Don Cherry
    The trumpeter was one of the most individual voices in contemporary jazz and world music, and he did it swimming against the prevailing tide. In an age of technically fearsome trumpeters, he emphasised expression and communication over speed and chops on his distinctive pocket trumpet. From the epoch-making Ornette Coleman Quartet onwards, he explored not only jazz, but also the ethnic musics and instruments of Africa, India and Asia, and did so with an integrity not always evident in such cross-cultural borrowing. Someone who genuinely earned the title of world musician. Born: 1936, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Died: 1995
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    i think the man succeeded in getting what he wanted: attention. last night was the first night of the nhl season, yet all everyone was talking about today was don cherry. he's a distraction from the game, and i do not appreciate my tax dollars paying for his xenophobic, small-minded and self-righteous rants. i know some people that like him, and that's their right, but i don't think he belongs on a crown corporation payroll.

i have a good habit of smoking a joint during the first intermission of games on cbc, so i usually don't catch his rants, but last night i skipped tradition and caught it.
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    edited October 2011
    i just got laugh at Chris Nilan wanting an apology he looked like a whinny bitch on otr and the fan 590 and Jim Thompson as well, but Nilan he was a heck of a fighter back in the day what happened lol.
    Post edited by kenshunt on
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hBgscE_lEU

i think its entertainment lol
    Post edited by kenshunt on
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I don't understand how hockey can suspend a player for a hit to the head but a punch to the head only results in a 5 minute penalty? And why is hockey the only sport that needs fighting?
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    I don't understand how hockey can suspend a player for a hit to the head but a punch to the head only results in a 5 minute penalty? And why is hockey the only sport that needs fighting?

mma, boxing aren't they fighting, baseball players charge the mound throw at peoples heads lol
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    i think the man succeeded in getting what he wanted: attention. last night was the first night of the nhl season, yet all everyone was talking about today was don cherry. he's a distraction from the game, and i do not appreciate my tax dollars paying for his xenophobic, small-minded and self-righteous rants. i know some people that like him, and that's their right, but i don't think he belongs on a crown corporation payroll.

i have a good habit of smoking a joint during the first intermission of games on cbc, so i usually don't catch his rants, but last night i skipped tradition and caught it.
    I got a kick out of him blaming Chara and then Pacioretty for that incident in the same rant!
  • Options

If the NHL never introduced the instigator rule...we'd not be talking about concusions and head shots the way we are...because I guarantee you that these pukes who are cheap shot artist would think twice about it if they knew that a Kocur or Probert were about to knock them into the middle of next week...hockey is a fast paced game that does need need cheap shots to exciting...just look at Olympic hockey, very exciting with plenty of physical play...Vancouver vs. Chicago game 7 last year playoffs...one of the most exciting NHL game I've ever watched, the 2 things that those have in common...both were loaded with plenty of skill players.

The problem with expansion, I think their are far too many players in the NHL who should really be in the AHL, I think the NHL miscalculated are deep the European talent pool was and their really is not enough talent to stock these teams properly.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

• Options
    I used to get a kick out of him. But after watching that appaling crap of a rant, he's nothing but a puke himself. he spends all his time giving warnings and lessons to all the kids out there, but then condones and ENCOURAGES violence in sports, not to mention racism, for his obvious hatred of everything European.

he's a dick.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    Nami wrote:

stopping fighting is BS? why?

also, is a drug user that speaks out against drugs a hypocrite?
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Will he last the season on CBC
    Post edited by lukin2006 on