Options

The Don Cherry Thread

2»

Comments

• Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    Cherry’s remarks could launch lawsuit

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/10/ ... it-report/
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I don't understand how hockey can suspend a player for a hit to the head but a punch to the head only results in a 5 minute penalty? And why is hockey the only sport that needs fighting?

If the NHL never introduced the instigator rule...we'd not be talking about concusions and head shots the way we are...because I guarantee you that these pukes who are cheap shot artist would think twice about it if they knew that a Kocur or Probert were about to knock them into the middle of next week...hockey is a fast paced game that does need need cheap shots to exciting...just look at Olympic hockey, very exciting with plenty of physical play...Vancouver vs. Chicago game 7 last year playoffs...one of the most exciting NHL game I've ever watched, the 2 things that those have in common...both were loaded with plenty of skill players.

The problem with expansion, I think their are far too many players in the NHL who should really be in the AHL, I think the NHL miscalculated are deep the European talent pool was and their really is not enough talent to stock these teams properly.

i partly agree with you but another factor is that the game is alot faster. the NHL made a mistake with taking the red line out of play and also not allowing the goalies to play the puck. if you change those rules back i think we would have less concussion. the game might be too fast for its own good.
  • Options
    SatansFutonSatansFuton Posts: 5,399
    lukin2006 wrote:

Whoa, I didn't know that Wade Belak had died. I used to love him when he played for the Leafs.
    "See a broad to get dat booty yak 'em, leg 'er down, a smack 'em yak 'em!"
  • Options
    kenshuntkenshunt London, Ontario, Canada Posts: 2,863
    lukin2006 wrote:

Whoa, I didn't know that Wade Belak had died. I used to love him when he played for the Leafs.

Well the old man apologized tonight, wonder if Nilan, Thomson and Grimson will forgive him lol

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378173
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
  • Options
    lukin2006lukin2006 Posts: 9,087
    fife wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:
    I don't understand how hockey can suspend a player for a hit to the head but a punch to the head only results in a 5 minute penalty? And why is hockey the only sport that needs fighting?

If the NHL never introduced the instigator rule...we'd not be talking about concusions and head shots the way we are...because I guarantee you that these pukes who are cheap shot artist would think twice about it if they knew that a Kocur or Probert were about to knock them into the middle of next week...hockey is a fast paced game that does need need cheap shots to exciting...just look at Olympic hockey, very exciting with plenty of physical play...Vancouver vs. Chicago game 7 last year playoffs...one of the most exciting NHL game I've ever watched, the 2 things that those have in common...both were loaded with plenty of skill players.

The problem with expansion, I think their are far too many players in the NHL who should really be in the AHL, I think the NHL miscalculated are deep the European talent pool was and their really is not enough talent to stock these teams properly.

i partly agree with you but another factor is that the game is alot faster. the NHL made a mistake with taking the red line out of play and also not allowing the goalies to play the puck. if you change those rules back i think we would have less concussion. the game might be too fast for its own good.

You might be onto something...but I have since changed my opinion on Cherry and feel he should be fired.
    I have certain rules I live by ... My First Rule ... I don't believe anything the government tells me ... George Carlin

"Life Is What Happens To You When Your Busy Making Other Plans" John Lennon
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,677
    i think the man succeeded in getting what he wanted: attention. last night was the first night of the nhl season, yet all everyone was talking about today was don cherry. he's a distraction from the game, and i do not appreciate my tax dollars paying for his xenophobic, small-minded and self-righteous rants. i know some people that like him, and that's their right, but i don't think he belongs on a crown corporation payroll.

i have a good habit of smoking a joint during the first intermission of games on cbc, so i usually don't catch his rants, but last night i skipped tradition and caught it.

I think the CBC ad money mostly pays for his salary :)

I'll agree that the game gets too much exposure for the wrong things. Basically what I mean is... every network analyzes the shit out of Headshots, suspensions, free agency, trades, coaches jobs.

I watch NFL... and they don't spend that much time dwelling on it. Instead a lot of time is spent talking about the GAME and it's PLAYERS. They have segments spotlighting players and such... plus funny video segments and such.

The NHL gets a bunch of dooshers arguing over whether or not Buddy 1 should have got 2,3, or 4 games suspension.

I'm not saying don't discuss these issues... cause I generally wanna know how some of them feel about it... but don't dwell on it for weeks on end.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,677
    kenshunt wrote:
    lukin2006 wrote:

Well the old man apologized tonight, wonder if Nilan, Thomson and Grimson will forgive him lol

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378173

He sure did!!! How much of that do you think was CBC forcing the apology? 100% in my opinion.

He had one week to go over everything and on the next Coaches Corner he came out and reiterated everything. It wasn't until they threatened legal action that he actually apologized.
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx