Why do people love Unplugged?

2»

Comments

• BinFrog wrote:
    I never thought I'd see the day where this post was created. Wow.

+1
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • I never post, but this thread warrants it. This fanbase has lost touch with reality if they think Unplugged in 1990 fucking 2 was not amazing. These guys had no clue what or who they would become, no clue what the hell unplugged was, no clue how their music would hold up acoustically and instead of playing it safe, they played hard and Eddie sang his guts out. Black was great, but SOLAT was ridiculous.

Oh and let's not forget probably the best version of Porch ever (with the pro-choice verse in the bridge). Seriously, let's not become spoiled brats because we have been lucky enough to have 20 years of increasing awesomeness.
    9/28/96 Randall's Island
    9/29/96 Randall's Island
    10/1/96 Buffalo
    6/8/97 Tibetan Freedom Concert (Randall's Island)
    9/8/98 E. Rutherford
    9/10/98 MSG
    9/11/98 MSG
    9/18/98 Columbia, MD
    8/23/00 Jones Beach
    8/24/00 Jones Beach
    8/25/00 Jones Beach
    4/30/03 Nassau Coliseum
    7/8/03 MSG
    7/9/03 MSG
    **5/5/06 Irving Plaza**
    5/28/06 Camden
    6/1/06 E. Rutherford
    6/3/06 E. Rutherford
    6/19/08 Camden
    6/20/08 Camden
    6/24/08 MSG
    6/25/08 MSG
    6/27/08 Hartford
    8/4/08 United Palace Theatre (EV solo)
    8/5/08 United Palace Theatre (EV solo)
    8/7/08 Newark, NJ (EV solo)
    5/20/10 MSG
    5/21/10 MSG
    6/21/11 Beacon Theatre (EV solo)
    6/22/11 Beacon Theatre (EV solo)
    9/3/11 PJ20
    9/4/11 PJ20
    10/18/13 Barclays Center
    10/19/13 Barclays Center
    10/22/13 Wells Fargo Center - Philadelphia
    10/25/13 Hartford
    9/26/15 Central Park Global Citizen Festival
    5/2/16 MSG
    8/20/16 Wrigley Field
    9/4/18 Fenway Park
    9/11/22 MSG
    9/14/22 Camden
    9/16/22 Nashville
    9/17/22 Louisville
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    I never post, but this thread warrants it. This fanbase has lost touch with reality if they think Unplugged in 1990 fucking 2 was not amazing. These guys had no clue what or who they would become, no clue what the hell unplugged was, no clue how their music would hold up acoustically and instead of playing it safe, they played hard and Eddie sang his guts out. Black was great, but SOLAT was ridiculous.

Oh and let's not forget probably the best version of Porch ever (with the pro-choice verse in the bridge). Seriously, let's not become spoiled brats because we have been lucky enough to have 20 years of increasing awesomeness.
    Dave A. ruined it.
    Also, the last time I watched the unplugged show was in 1990 fucking 2.
  • abhijeetabhijeet Posts: 303
    JTH wrote:
    I never post, but this thread warrants it. This fanbase has lost touch with reality if they think Unplugged in 1990 fucking 2 was not amazing. These guys had no clue what or who they would become, no clue what the hell unplugged was, no clue how their music would hold up acoustically and instead of playing it safe, they played hard and Eddie sang his guts out. Black was great, but SOLAT was ridiculous.

Dave A. ruined it.

I can hear the cymbals in my dreams (nightmares).
    Seattle 2009-09-21
    Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
  • GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    JTH wrote:

Dave A. ruined it.

I think ruined it is a bit over the top. I mean it's WAY too much obviously, but outside of Dave, it was really damn good.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
    GD274660 wrote:
    I think ruined it is a bit over the top. I mean it's WAY too much obviously, but outside of Dave, it was really damn good.
    It was a great performance -- gritty and visceral. But I wanted something to show me that the band had range. In my opinion, they didn't deliver that. The way I saw it was that they basically played all the songs exactly the way they always played them, with one difference: Mike and Stone played them on acoustic guitars.

And again, this is what I was thinking in 1992. This is not an opinion I've formed after being spoiled for the last 20 years by a band that has absolutely mastered playing a broad range of styles.

Anyway, yes, I was using hyperbole. Dave didn't ruin the performance. But seriously, why couldn't he have picked up a set of brushes to play with before that show?

Besides, we all know that it was Jeff's outfit that ruined the show.
  • UKpearljammerUKpearljammer Bath, UK Posts: 910
    abhijeet wrote:
    I just can't get on board with it. The band was trying to recreate the intensity of their regular shows by just going hard at their instruments and I find the resulting sound rather harsh and off putting. Benaroya was a much better example of using acoustic instruments.

So, why does everyone love this show?

Wow, sorry you don't feel it but you have to be kidding benayora is better!
    My PJ shows:
    London 28/10/96, Las Vegas 11/7/98, London 29/5/00, Nurnburg 11/6/00, Prague 14/6/00, Salzburg 18/6/00, Verona 20/6/00, Milan 22/6/00, Zurich 23/6/00, New York 8-9/7/03, Boston 11/7/03, Reading Festival 27/8/06, Shepards Bush 11/8/09, Berlin 15/8/09, Manchester 17/8/09, London 18/8/09, Dublin 22/6/10, Belfast 23/6/10, London (HRC) 25/6/10, Alpine Valley (PJ20) 3-4/9/11, Manchester 20-21/6/12, Leeds 8/7/14, Milton Keynes 11/7/14 To be continued....
  • To each his/her own. I love Dave A. And i think his style fit the band better than any other drummer.

I love him in Unplugged, and he's a big reason i love that recording so much.
    -Chris
    Male, 34

I'm on Facebook - facebook.com/christopher.leesye1

1998 Brisbane 2
    2003 Brisbane 1
    2006 LA 1 & 2
    2008 LA 2, San Diego 1 (EV)
    2009 LA 1, 2, 3 & 4, San Diego
    2011 St. Louis (EV)
    2012 Tulsa 1 & 2 (EV)
    2013 Chicago, Dallas & OKC
  • I must say, I only saw unplugged last year, having heard hundreds of bootlegs already and seen pearl jam 3 times. Even then, i think the versions of porch and SOLAT where the best i have ever heard. They are so powerful and the whole performance is so crisp and clean.

How could you love pearl jam and NOT love the MTV unplugged.
    Dmcneice wrote:
    I must say, I only saw unplugged last year, having heard hundreds of bootlegs already and seen pearl jam 3 times. Even then, i think the versions of porch and SOLAT where the best i have ever heard. They are so powerful and the whole performance is so crisp and clean.

I guess Mike McCready doesn't love Pearl Jam (per page 80 of the PJ20 book).
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    abhijeet wrote:
    I can hear the cymbals in my dreams (nightmares).

PMSL... :lol:
  • SpencerSpencer Posts: 867
    Dmcneice wrote:
    I think they became a much, much better band after that.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    thanks for this thread! it reminded me to get it out ...

listened last night in the hot tub as the tall pines swayed in the wind,
    the sun set and the first stars peeked out...

it all went together nice :D
  • The show is great. Keep in mind, they hadn't been a band all that long when they played that show; that explains why they hadn't tinkered with things the way they would go on to. Also: MTV gave Nirvana more room (an hour vs. half-hour). This created more of an incentive to do different things (I would assume), not to mention that they were three albums deep at that time versus Pearl Jam's first. This gave them more material to work with.
    08/12/92,10/30/93, 11/5/93, 06/24/95, 11/04/95, 11/06/95, 11/07/95, 07/10/98, 08/23/00, 09/02/00, 04/28/03, 07/05/03, 10/01/04, 10/03/05, 05/28/06, 6/19/08, 8/04/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/31/09, 09/02/12, 10/21/13

Ten Club 146XXX
    The show is great. Keep in mind, they hadn't been a band all that long when they played that show; that explains why they hadn't tinkered with things the way they would go on to. Also: MTV gave Nirvana more room (an hour vs. half-hour). This created more of an incentive to do different things (I would assume), not to mention that they were three albums deep at that time versus Pearl Jam's first. This gave them more material to work with.
    They played a shitload of covers, too. Plus they had a bunch of guest musicians helping out.

The ironic thing is that Kurt Cobain stated many times that he didn't like PJ because essentially their sound was way too polished, but PJ unplugged was the raw performance whereas Nirvana delivered something that was incredibly glossy.
  • rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    My two cents: Its a fun performance, but I agree that Dave A.'s drumming did not (and does not) suit the band and that was especially clear here. Benaroya should be the new "gold standard" PJ acoustic performance.
  • abhijeetabhijeet Posts: 303
    Dmcneice wrote:
    I must say, I only saw unplugged last year, having heard hundreds of bootlegs already and seen pearl jam 3 times. Even then, i think the versions of porch and SOLAT where the best i have ever heard. They are so powerful and the whole performance is so crisp and clean.

Somehow I managed it :P
    Seattle 2009-09-21
    Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    Here's a new post from the website of musician Jonah Matranga, which answers the title of this thread pretty well I think:

http://jonahmatranga.com/deardiary/2011 ... sotsi.html

"Then came MTV Unplugged. For gazillions of people, it was the lightswitch that 'Release' had been for me. The band playing with such abandon and passion, the setting perfect for showcasing their particular songs, sentiment and style. There were two moments that came out of the TV and nailed me to the couch. One was Ed scrawling 'Pro-Choice' on his arm during that epic take on 'Porch'. The other was near the end of 'Black', the lovelorn, instant-classic anthem that would play such a part in their attempt to retreat from fame when they famously refused to make a video for it a few months later. As Ed howled the 'I know someday…' bit (one of so many bits near the end of songs that became as important and memorable as any chorus) and the energy built, he started singing, "We… we… we belong together! Together!

For so many people, this was the moment they found out about and/or gave in to Pearl Jam."
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    tremors wrote:
    One was Ed scrawling 'Pro-Choice' on his arm during that epic take on 'Porch'. The other was near the end of 'Black', the lovelorn, instant-classic anthem that would play such a part in their attempt to retreat from fame when they famously refused to make a video for it a few months later. As Ed howled the 'I know someday…' bit (one of so many bits near the end of songs that became as important and memorable as any chorus) and the energy built, he started singing, "We… we… we belong together! Together!

For so many people, this was the moment they found out about and/or gave in to Pearl Jam."
    Dimitris...
    GUILTY AS CHARGED........
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • LamentLament Posts: 294
    I hate how any discussion of Unplugged inevitably turns into a pissing match between the Nirvana and Pearl Jam performances. They're so different in every single way, it's really not worth comparing.

And for what it's worth, I don't know how you can listen to Benaroya Hall and NOT think that Nirvana's Unplugged performance left a lasting impression on Pearl Jam...
  • i thought it was amazing! Watch and listen to it lots
  • vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    edit -- Worth adding that when this was released (1992) many of us had yet to see PJ live. This was obviously before YouTube and the internet allowing everyone to watch live footage of their favorite bands.

Very good point! It was a rare bit of Pearl Jam, not much was available back then...

<edit> I didn't see this until a few years after it was done, as Australia didn't have MTV and barely any TV channels. First saw it on Rage (ABC) when they used to play one Unplugged Show a week. People have it so much easier these days getting their Pearl Jam fix...
    Lament wrote:
    I hate how any discussion of Unplugged inevitably turns into a pissing match between the Nirvana and Pearl Jam performances. They're so different in every single way, it's really not worth comparing.

And for what it's worth, I don't know how you can listen to Benaroya Hall and NOT think that Nirvana's Unplugged performance left a lasting impression on Pearl Jam...
    Pissing match? What comments are you interpreting this way?
  • LamentLament Posts: 294
    JTH wrote:
    Lament wrote:

Not yours, if that's what you mean. Within the first five comments we had our first "Nirvana's was better." I don't really see the point of that when we have twenty years worth of Pearl Jam performances to compare it to. For what it's worth, yeah, I do think Nirvana's was better, but I don't know how Nirvana's appearance has anything to do with Pearl Jam's. It happened over a year and a half later. You've got two totally beloved performances by two great (but very different) bands at different points in their respective careers. The merits and criticisms of Pearl Jam's performance can easily be discussed in an entertaining and enlightening manner without inevitably getting into whether or not one by another band was "better." It'd be like comparing The Who's Live at Leeds to The Band's Last Waltz. I hope this makes sense. I don't intend it to seem inflammatory.
    Lament wrote:
    JTH wrote:

Not yours, if that's what you mean. Within the first five comments we had our first "Nirvana's was better." I don't really see the point of that when we have twenty years worth of Pearl Jam performances to compare it to. For what it's worth, yeah, I do think Nirvana's was better, but I don't know how Nirvana's appearance has anything to do with Pearl Jam's. It happened over a year and a half later. You've got two totally beloved performances by two great (but very different) bands at different points in their respective careers. The merits and criticisms of Pearl Jam's performance can easily be discussed in an entertaining and enlightening manner without inevitably getting into whether or not one by another band was "better." It'd be like comparing The Who's Live at Leeds to The Band's Last Waltz. I hope this makes sense. I don't intend it to seem inflammatory.
    Nah, I didn't think you were referring to me. I guess we just have different definitions of a pissing match.

I see where you're coming from. This really shouldn't be a Nirvana vs. PJ thing. We may as well compare LL Cool J's Unplugged.
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    phungi wrote:
    veddertown wrote:
    As much as I like it as a performance it isn't as remarkable or legendary as it is made out to be and nowhere near the Nirvana or Alice In Chains shows for wow factor. Benaroya on the other hand and the mini set at Mansfield 03 were exactly how to do an acoustic show.

I think it is important to note/remember that:

Nirvana shot their Unplugged performance in December 1993, two years after Nevermind and after In Utero came out... they had already been a band for 5 years and had 3 albums...

Alice In Chains shot their performance in April 1996, after a two-year hiatus of touring... this came four years after Dirt, and they had already been a band for 9 years and had 3 albums...

Pearl Jam shot their performance in March 1992, six months after Ten was released and before Vs. was even recorded... they had only been a band for a year and had only 1 album...
    This is the exact point that I was going to make (and I agree with Lament's earlier posts 100%). I love all 3 shows but I don't think you can compare PJ's Unplugged to Nirvana's or AIC's because of the vast differences in where they were in their careers. If Nirvana had recorded theirs after Bleach (or even just after Nevermind, when they'd had one 'hit' single) it would have been a very different show. And I'm sorry but if AIC had recorded theirs after Facelift... well, it would probably have sucked.

By the same token, if Pearl Jam had made their Unplugged at a similar point in their careers (preferably around No Code/Yield for me) there's no doubt it would be very different show as they would have tried a few diferent things, got more airtime and had a much wider range of songs to chose from.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 74
    For me, at least, this was the moment where I really became a PJ fan. "Alive" had been on MTV for a bit, and I think I had a cassette copy of "Ten" that a friend had made. I liked it fine, but wasn't really fully captivated by it. But seeing Eddie belt out SOLAT -- a non-album track no less (when the thing to do on unplugged was to trot out some contrived Led Zep cover), and then seeing the energy take off from there...."Porch" sealed it.

So maybe not the best acoustic set ever, and arguably not the best episode of unplugged either. But, I'll never see a live PJ set that will hit me the way that one did (though night 1 at Alpine Valley comes pretty damn close).
  • Time_BombTime_Bomb Posts: 147
    It's not bad but my least favorite out of Alice In Chains, Nirvana, and pearl jam.

Alice in chains is my all time favorite. Layne sounded perfect and the band was really tight
    Let Me Live So When It's Time To Die Even The Reaper Cries