Options

Why do people love Unplugged?

abhijeetabhijeet Posts: 303
edited October 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
I just can't get on board with it. The band was trying to recreate the intensity of their regular shows by just going hard at their instruments and I find the resulting sound rather harsh and off putting. Benaroya was a much better example of using acoustic instruments.

So, why does everyone love this show?
Seattle 2009-09-21
Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    Funny. I've never been a fan, either. I remember watching it when it first aired thinking "I love their album but I guess their music doesn't really translate into the acoustic format."

Heh. Little did I know...
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    :-o

It's just...amazing...
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I think Pearl Jam didn't really do the whole 'Unplugged' thing as well as Nirvana did, in terms of putting a new spin on the songs.

I love PJ unplugged for the intensity of the performance especially on Eddie's part - I can really connect with the content and meaning and power of every song from that performance when I listen- I think Eddie is really living every word there.
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    edited September 2011
    tremors wrote:
    I think Pearl Jam didn't really do the whole 'Unplugged' thing as well as Nirvana did, in terms of putting a new spin on the songs.

I love PJ unplugged for the intensity of the performance especially on Eddie's part - I can really connect with the content and meaning and power of every song from that performance when I listen- I think Eddie is really living every word there.

+1

I was SO into Ten that I was mesmerized by Unplugged. Taped it and wore out the VHS popping it in once a week for years. I think it holds up well - still work it into my DVD rotation of PJ stuff. This was Eddie's blow up moment -- hey, World, look at us...we rock and I am here to blow you out!

edit -- Worth adding that when this was released (1992) many of us had yet to see PJ live. This was obviously before YouTube and the internet allowing everyone to watch live footage of their favorite bands. For most of us at that time, if the band wasn't on MTV, you were not seeing them unless you went to a live show yourself.
    Now, things are very different and if I were to be shown this set as a newer PJ fan in say, 2004, I would not necessarily be blown away as I was in 1992. I hadn't seen them live yet so watching this was the glimpse into it. My guess is that a lot of the people who dont get it are younger fans. (Could totally be wrong but it was a different era as far as access to band performances.)
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Not a fan of it either
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,905
    Its pretty good but nothing that great. Nirvana's set was soooo much better.
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Brisk. wrote:

It's just...amazing...

But why? :)

Seems like Eddie's theatrics are what got everyone hooked.

Speaking of MTV, I thought their performance of Animal at the 1993 VMA Awards was fantastically good.
    Seattle 2009-09-21
    Alpine Valley 2011-09-03, 2011-09-04
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    abhijeet wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

It's just...amazing...

Speaking of MTV, I thought their performance of Animal at the 1993 VMA Awards was fantastically good.

No cos Dave A is brilliant in it and it's Pearl Jam acoustic.. different from their normal versions!
  • Options
    SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,952
    Too much cymbal?
    Nature drunk and High
  • Options
    abhijeet wrote:
    Brisk. wrote:

It's just...amazing...

It's not the theatrics - it's the quality and intensity of the vocals - I listened to the early bootlegs of that show, I didn't watch the video - and I think the sound quality and the vocal performance is amongst the best ever capture of Eddie's classic early vocal style and sound. For many years it was easily amongst the best recordings of Eddie's vocals outside the studio - I posted in another thread that the Unplugged was my favourite live version of SOLAT - and while I can appreciate the energetic performances with great sound quality from later years, Eddie's voice has changed so much that it makes it a very different song from the unplugged version.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,216
    is just the best..all..the music..the way played the songs..and Eddie??his voice..his look,his expressions?

man..u cant find better..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Everything about it is amazing... It's raw, it's visceral, it's intense... Makes you live the songs rather than just listening to them...
    ~Can't escape from the common rule
    If you hate something, don't you do it too...~
  • Options
    Too much cymbal?

WAAYYYY too much
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    As much as I like it as a performance it isn't as remarkable or legendary as it is made out to be and nowhere near the Nirvana or Alice In Chains shows for wow factor. Benaroya on the other hand and the mini set at Mansfield 03 were exactly how to do an acoustic show.
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    As much as I like it as a performance it isn't as remarkable or legendary as it is made out to be and nowhere near the Nirvana or Alice In Chains shows for wow factor. Benaroya on the other hand and the mini set at Mansfield 03 were exactly how to do an acoustic show.
    thats the big difference...was rare...
    no candles and courtines and light and clothes and bullshit...was like they was at their room....
    cant find this to any other band at mtv unplugged..
    find me one version of Black when Eddie is like this....
    find me his eyelook at any other version of Solat....

and as for Porch????

the half members of 10c is members cos of this Version..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    It's really cool... one of my very favorites

I wish they would do another unplugged concert ... this time here in Atl at the Fox :D
  • Options
    edit -- Worth adding that when this was released (1992) many of us had yet to see PJ live. This was obviously before YouTube and the internet allowing everyone to watch live footage of their favorite bands. For most of us at that time, if the band wasn't on MTV, you were not seeing them unless you went to a live show yourself.
    Now, things are very different and if I were to be shown this set as a newer PJ fan in say, 2004, I would not necessarily be blown away as I was in 1992. I hadn't seen them live yet so watching this was the glimpse into it. My guess is that a lot of the people who dont get it are younger fans. (Could totally be wrong but it was a different era as far as access to band performances.)

You hit the nail on the head there. I had my mum tape the MTV show (I was still at uni, no tv or internet access at my digs back then, heh). That was March or April '92. I was TOTALLY blown away. No theatrics, no grand ego's,... Just good, honest music by some good, honest guys. In June '92 I saw them live for the first time. Sorry, but I have to repeat myself : I was TOTALLY blown away. I still watch the MTV set regularly and the coverage of the first time I saw them live. Trip down memory lane... It was twenty years ago today... ;)
  • Options

You hit the nail on the head there. I had my mum tape the MTV show (I was still at uni, no tv or internet access at my digs back then, heh). That was March or April '92. I was TOTALLY blown away. No theatrics, no grand ego's,... Just good, honest music by some good, honest guys. In June '92 I saw them live for the first time. Sorry, but I have to repeat myself : I was TOTALLY blown away. I still watch the MTV set regularly and the coverage of the first time I saw them live. Trip down memory lane... It was twenty years ago today... ;)
    well said...thats why mtv unplugged original video cassete was my holy grail..and the community help me and get it :)
  • Options

Yes, it was really important in terms of developing and reaching out to the growing fan base in the early years of the band - so for many people it has an unforgettable potency. For us this was about the bootlegged cds, and trying to get our hands on anything outside Ten - the MTV unplugged bootleg was easily one of the most powerful things available in the backstreet record shops in the UK. It was amazing, and I still get goosebumps listening to it. I think it strengthened a lot of fans' passion for the band massively - and this is another reason why it will always be amongst Pearl Jam's most important performances

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    i know..every time..20 years now..E V E R Y T I M E.....
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626

Absolutely nothing except...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQPlq85Hedk

One of The most impassioned performances by this band ever.
    Nice shirt.
  • Options

Absolutely nothing except...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQPlq85Hedk

One of The most impassioned performances by this band ever.
    E X A C T L Y ...
  • Options
    unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I totally agree that this is a great performance especially in the context of the time. And that's back when MTV actually showed music videos!

I didn't see this until just a few years ago, when I became a PJ fan and bought it. I love, LOVE the intensity.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    no candles and courtines and light and clothes and bullshit...was like they was at their room....

and as for Porch????

Don't get me wrong Dimi, PJ were great and it definately worked as a show, I just don't see it as legendary myself. I expected exact acoustic versions of PJ songs and that's exactly what they gave and I do love Black, Porch etc but there are many better versions for me. I still watch it from time to time but AIC unplugged is the ultimate in my eyes. Layne had such vulnerability and you couldn't take your eyes off him. It still gives me chills to watch Down In A Hole, Rooster, etc and how the vocal harmonies lift the songs is amazing. Nirvana's show shouldn't have worked with so many covers, guests, etc but that room had magic happening in it that night!

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
  • Options
    veddertown wrote:
    veddertown wrote:

and as for Porch????

Don't get me wrong Dimi, PJ were great and it definately worked as a show, I just don't see it as legendary myself. I expected exact acoustic versions of PJ songs and that's exactly what they gave and I do love Black, Porch etc but there are many better versions for me. I still watch it from time to time but AIC unplugged is the ultimate in my eyes. Layne had such vulnerability and you couldn't take your eyes off him. It still gives me chills to watch Down In A Hole, Rooster, etc and how the vocal harmonies lift the songs is amazing. Nirvana's show shouldn't have worked with so many covers, guests, etc but that room had magic happening in it that night!
    legendary is every note they played 20 years now... ;)
  • Options
    legendary is every note they played 20 years now... ;)
    That much I do agree with! This for me is the greatest band in over 30 years listening to music. And we still have them around! :mrgreen:

PLEASE PLAY SCOTLAND 2012.....
    :mrgreen:

• Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    veddertown wrote:

I think it is important to note/remember that:

Nirvana shot their Unplugged performance in December 1993, two years after Nevermind and after In Utero came out... they had already been a band for 5 years and had 3 albums...

Alice In Chains shot their performance in April 1996, after a two-year hiatus of touring... this came four years after Dirt, and they had already been a band for 9 years and had 3 albums...

Pearl Jam shot their performance in March 1992, six months after Ten was released and before Vs. was even recorded... they had only been a band for a year and had only 1 album...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I never thought I'd see the day where this post was created. Wow.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"