Options

Candlebox

circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
edited October 2011 in Other Music
So Candlebox is swinging through my burb next weekend and I'm getting ramped up for it, revisiting mostly their first two albums. Each time I go back to the first one I still think it is incredibly strong. Those songs pack a wallop and are very solid track for track. Kevin Martin is a great aggressive rock singer. I saw them live several times back in the day from a pretty big arena to the small clubs. Peter Klett, the guitarist, is a pretty basic hard blues riffy kinda player with a Les Paul, and yeah, they have plenty of reverb, but it sounds great and fills the room and the CD. If you get a chance go back and listen to You, Cover Me, and Arrow. Even their big hit, Far Behind, is pretty cool looking back on it "didn't mean to treat you bad, but I did it any way" That's gold Jerry.

I've always considered the fact that they are from Seattle to be a blessing and a curse. A blessing because obviously bands from up there after the explosion were much more likely to get looked at by a major lable, radio, and MTV, but a curse because it seems they were often written off for riding the coattails of the bigger (and granted, better) Seattle bands before them. I bet that even if their 3rd or 4th albums would have been spectacular (which they weren't) that they wouldn't have even gotten a second look because they have already been written off. I hate the feeling of telling people that I like Candlebox sounds like I might as well say I like Limp Bizkit or Godsmack or something like that. Is there a perception out there that they were fakes or trendy or something? I'd like to hear not only from people that like them but also from their detractors. And if you think negative of them is it because of perception or because you've actually listened to their stuff? Just curious.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited May 2010
    I saw Candlebox live last year. The show was great. They are fan friendly and came out and signed cds and took pics and stuff afterwards. I think Kevin lived in Houston as a kid or teenager so that added a special vibe to the show. The last album is really good. The older songs sound crisp as well. You will have a great time. I really wished they had played a little bit more off "Happy Pills." The bulk of the show will be the new album, but I think it sounds better live.

It is dissapointing that Candlebox got overshadowed cause they are extremely talented and write amazing songs. I think Peter left for awhile, and came back. Scott Macado is playing drums (original drummer), although Dave Krusen did do some drum tracks on the "into the sun" album. I think Candlebox put this last record out themselves, so not sure if they are on a label or have gone independent.
    In my opinion, I don't really think many people who listen to modern rock like Godsmack are going to pay attention to Candlebox. They probably know "far behind" or "you" and that's it. Candlebox is one of the bands that have the die hard fans to keep them going and the band can do what they want musically. Even though they are a true "Grunge" band especially being from Seattle, sadly the major label didn't promote their material strongly enough, and it took 10 years between the 3rd and 4rth album. So unless people introduce the bands catalog to friends or music lovers looking for obscure or new stuff, yeah they will be known for 2-3 hits to the general public. I had a friend thank me for showing him that they have more great songs than just "far behind."

If the venue they are playing at allows video cams (Yes, video cams) and/or audio taping equipment Candlebox allows their shows to be taped and traded on their website. However, if the venue does not allow it, the policy is voided for the show. That's what happened at House of Blues in Houston. Bummer. :(
    If you want an early idea (spoiler) of what songs they have been playing recent setlists are on their site.

Have a great time. Please let me know about your show and how it was. :)
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    dpmaydpmay Posts: 643
    yeah, a lot of people viewed them as hacks, but i definitely loved 'em and listened to their first three albums a lot. i actually think happy pills is a lot better than the second one, what was it, lucy?
  • Options
    yeah, Lucy is the 2nd album. I agree "Happy Pills was a better album, but Lucy is still good.
  • Options
    I'll need to give Happy Pills a little more time then. It's when listening to this that I get the feel that while they still know how to rock a groove and swing a beat they tend to have lots of song fragments that are kinda scattered, all over the place, fewer coherent, tight songs. Like the rocking part in It's Alright, it seems forced and out of nowhere. It's a cool riff, just doesn't fit. I'll give it more time this week before the show.
  • Options
    pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited May 2010
    You rocks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n71XbRgC_A0

okay so far behind is awesome too. maybe I should check out some of their new stuff sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4QL0L9fgbg
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Candlebox kicks ass, plain and simple.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Such a fucking good band, been waiting for them to come to Europe for 6+ years.
  • Options
    You is the only song of theirs I like

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n71XbRgC_A0

okay so far behind is awesome too. maybe I should check out some of their new stuff sometime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4QL0L9fgbg

Check these out as well for starters:

cover me, blossom, It's alright, blinders,10,000 horses, sometimes, lucy, into the sun, a stones throw away
  • Options
    red mos wrote:

cover me, blossom, It's alright, blinders,10,000 horses, sometimes, lucy, into the sun, a stones throw away
    Cover Me has really been hitting me lately, it is so brutal. Such a great song, awesome transition from an acoustic slow tempo to a really hard jam. The vocals really rock.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:

Cover Me has really been hitting me lately, it is so brutal. Such a great song, awesome transition from an acoustic slow tempo to a really hard jam. The vocals really rock.
    I love "cover me" it maybe my favorite song by candlebox honestly. When they played it last year Kevin told us he wrote it in the midst of the whole Grunge explosion and it was kind of like a comfort song from the fireball of fame that had just swept through Seattle. He said we went from playing small clubs to doing Letterman and big festivals so I thought that was pretty cool to hear him tell a story about the early days of the Seattle music scene.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    red mos wrote:

I love "cover me" it maybe my favorite song by candlebox honestly. When they played it last year Kevin told us he wrote it in the midst of the whole Grunge explosion and it was kind of like a comfort song from the fireball of fame that had just swept through Seattle. He said we went from playing small clubs to doing Letterman and big festivals so I thought that was pretty cool to hear him tell a story about the early days of the Seattle music scene.

I would like to hear his take on the whole thing. We've heard the perspectives of the big players of the Seattle scene, like the guys from the bigger bands, but I'd like to hear his whole experience of it. He comes off like he has a lot of attitude, not sure if he has a chip on his shoulder or if he's sort of a jerk or what. I wonder if they ever had to defend themselves from people accusing them of riding coattails since they didn't break out until later.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    So I'm rediscovering Candlebox and I forgot how frigging amazing this band is. Shit. Do they still tour?
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    red mos wrote:
    yeah, Lucy is the 2nd album. I agree "Happy Pills was a better album, but Lucy is still good.
    love happy pills
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    So I'm rediscovering Candlebox and I forgot how frigging amazing this band is. Shit. Do they still tour?

yes. Kevin and Sean also formed a band with the guys from LIVE minus Ed. They are called the Gracious few. From what I have heard of the album, I like it. "Crying time" is a great song, sounds very candlebox like, but that really is no surprise. My understanding, is that Kevin Martin will divide time and touring for both bands.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,853
    I think I had their debut album on cassette tape, never got around getting it on cd though. Have a few songs off of Happy Pills (It's Alright & Happy Pills).
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Another poster already mentioned that there is a band called "A Gracious Few" which is the band Live (minus their lead singer who they got rid of for ego reasons) with the singer and guitar player for Candlebox. I got to see them in Toronto last September and they impressed me enough to give Candlebox a listen. Live is on "hiatus", whatever that means, but Candlebox plays shows here and there.

From what I've heard, Candlebox are a good hard rock band worth a listen, but if you want something a bit more mellow/blues-inspired, give A Gracious Few a listen. I got to meet them at the show and they are pretty humble and cool despite the sometimes imposing vibe that Candlebox/Live may give off.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

yes. Kevin and Sean also formed a band with the guys from LIVE minus Ed. They are called the Gracious few. From what I have heard of the album, I like it. "Crying time" is a great song, sounds very candlebox like, but that really is no surprise. My understanding, is that Kevin Martin will divide time and touring for both bands.
    That's great news...its a great news day!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    red mos wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:

That's great news...its a great news day!
    Awesome!. I do believe they are fan friendly too. Really was blown away that I got to tell Kevin Martin, thank you for his music, and for the guys signing "into the sun for me and a friend. I have always enjoyed his voice, and hold them pretty high in the world of grunge. Kevin, to me, had the best voice, after EV. Kevin has still got it too. Got to meet 3 of the 5 band members. Didn't get to see Gracious few though, had a family emergency. :(

PS: Just read via Wikipedia that the guys in LIVE are planning on reuniting under the name LIVE without Ed. If this happens, Bad bad Move IMHO. Although the Gracious few do plan on releasing new material. They should just stick with GF, and embark in solo, film stuff when Kevin Martin does a Candlebox run of recording/ touring. I understand why LIVE split, and totally respect that decision under the circumstances, but LIVE without Ed?? Better off doing solo projects, and doing Gracious Few stuff. I also heard Ed K solo album, and it was ok, but GF is so much better.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:

PS: Just read via Wikipedia that the guys in LIVE are planning on reuniting under the name LIVE without Ed. If this happens, Bad bad Move IMHO. Although the Gracious few do plan on releasing new material. They should just stick with GF, and embark in solo, film stuff when Kevin Martin does a Candlebox run of recording/ touring. I understand why LIVE split, and totally respect that decision under the circumstances, but LIVE without Ed?? Better off doing solo projects, and doing Gracious Few stuff. I also heard Ed K solo album, and it was ok, but GF is so much better.

I totally agree. To me, Live IS Ed Kowalczyk (sp?). I'll have to check out Gracious Few!
  • Options
    I love Candlebox. Love them. They are going to be here in town on September 23rd... what sucks is that I have to pick up the girlfriend from the airport at 9:30 that night...

what to do... :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Secondly, fuck all the criticism they received back in the day. Their self-titled debut is one of the best rock records of the 90's. I stand by that fully.

If you listen to that and don't rock out to at least one song... something is terribly wrong with you.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Secondly, fuck all the criticism they received back in the day. Their self-titled debut is one of the best rock records of the 90's. I stand by that fully.

If you listen to that and don't rock out to at least one song... something is terribly wrong with you.

I couldn't agree more!! I still only have it on tape, but that tape is responsible for keeping me sane throughout many a family road trip!!

Candlebox or gf...tough call especially since she's so cute and sweet!!!
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:

+2 - I totally agree with that. One of my favorite albums from back then, never understood all the criticism they got. I know Far Behind was played to death but that's not their fault.
  • Options
    RVM MFC wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

+2 - I totally agree with that. One of my favorite albums from back then, never understood all the criticism they got. I know Far Behind was played to death but that's not their fault.

and it's STILL a great song. Apparently Kevin himself said that he wrote that for Andrew Wood. Puts a nice new meaning to a song I thought was just a cheesy love song. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

I couldn't agree more!! I still only have it on tape, but that tape is responsible for keeping me sane throughout many a family road trip!!

It's a tough one... but Candlebox doesn't sleep with me or cook amazing meals. ;):lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    Mamasan23 wrote:
    dcfaithful wrote:

It's a tough one... but Candlebox doesn't sleep with me or cook amazing meals. ;):lol:

Candlebox won't go on until at least 9:30- 10 pm. Could your girl get on an earlier flight? Not too familiar with how airlines do standby transfers ect, if they do.
  • Options
    red mos wrote:

Candlebox won't go on until at least 9:30- 10 pm. Could your girl get on an earlier flight? Not too familiar with how airlines do standby transfers ect, if they do.

I don't think so... she's flying in from the Caribbean so it might be a little hard given all of the transfers and layovers, I think she has two.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    Another poster already mentioned that there is a band called "A Gracious Few" which is the band Live (minus their lead singer who they got rid of for ego reasons) with the singer and guitar player for Candlebox. I got to see them in Toronto last September and they impressed me enough to give Candlebox a listen. Live is on "hiatus", whatever that means, but Candlebox plays shows here and there.

From what I've heard, Candlebox are a good hard rock band worth a listen, but if you want something a bit more mellow/blues-inspired, give A Gracious Few a listen. I got to meet them at the show and they are pretty humble and cool despite the sometimes imposing vibe that Candlebox/Live may give off.

I've loved Candlebox ever since a crazy girlfriend bought me their first cd in high school. I sort of forgot about them after their first couple albums, but now I am going to catch up. I'm also a huge fan of Live, so to hear this news is pretty freakin sweet. I like the band name, too. I heard that the band was not getting along with Ed and that they are broken up indefinitely. He apparently became too demanding and money hungry, apparently demanding a $200,000 lead singer bonus at a festival they did a couple years ago. The other band members are involved in a lawsuit against him.
    62698 E Troy, 81800 Indy, 42303 Champagne, 42503 Cleveland, 10204 Toledo, 10304 Grand Rapids, 91105 Kitchener, 51606 Chicago, 51706 Chicago, 62606 St. Paul, 8507 Chicago, 82109 Toronto, 82309 Chicago, 82409 Chicago, 5910 Cleveland, 9311 E Troy, 9411 E Troy, 91111 Toronto, 92112 Pensacola, 71913 Chicago, 101113 Pittsburgh, 101213 Buffalo UPCOMING: Cincy, Lincoln, Detroit, Moline, St Paul, Milwaukee
  • Options
    going to see Candlebox again on Oct 7th. Will report back. super excited. :D
  • Options
    red mos wrote:
    going to see Candlebox again on Oct 7th. Will report back. super excited. :D

Yeah, let us know how the show is!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL