**** Montreal Fanviews Here 9/7/11 *****

Comments

• Took my wife to her first PJ show last night and when it was over she was slack-jawed and hard of hearing, saying "thank you for convincing me to come to this show!" :D

We had a great time.

Hearing Come Back was huge for both of us and completely unexpected. The raw energy of the crowd matched MSG1 from last year and Eddie clearly fed off of the responsiveness, leading the masses into several sing-alongs.

This was a really special treat for both of us due to the doldrums of the post-Irene flood that wiped out our whole basement here in upstate NY. New breakers, hot water heater, furnace, etc... so a much-needed uplifting getaway.

Thanks PJ and thanks to the great fans and city that made us feel so comfortable and welcome. Angelos on Crescent ST. and Novotel -- awesome!!!
  • ZidaneZidane Ottawa Posts: 362
    I was sad to see almost no love for Mudhoney from the Ten Club crowd. I think I was the only one standing up (13th row) with a guy in front of me (11th row I think) and 2 guys in front of the stage! Am I the only one who knows the lyrics??? You guys never listened to Mudhoney back then?

I hope those guys will get greater reaction from the crowd for the shows to come.

Being from Montreal (but living in the Ottawa region), it was awesome to be there; I saw them in Montreal since my first show, 1998 at the (then) Molson Centre. Always loved watching shows in Montreal (PJ, Radiohead, any punk show from NOFX to Bad Religion) and the crowd is always present.

I have to admit that the setlist wasn't what I was looking for; it seems that Black, Alive and Crazy Mary are always played in Montreal lately. I was expecting something like Tremor Christ, Rats or Garden for the 20th anniversary tour.

Eddie's humor was at its best. The guys looked really happy to be there and they were in their element. Playing 27 songs...!!! Wow!!! Better than the Black Keys a month ago when they played for an hour, 15 minutes...!

Anyway, hearing Glorified G, Setting Forth (!) and a great performance of Hail, Hail was amazing! Looking forward to Toronto (both nights) and Ottawa.
    You're not what you own - Ian MacKaye, Fugazi

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    05 - Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    09 - Toronto, Philly (Show #3-4)
    10 - Cleveland
    11 - Montreal, Toronto (x2), Ottawa
    13 - London (ON), Philly (x2)
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
    Really, no poster pic yet?
  • Swordo wrote:
    Not worth it. :?
    Swordo wrote:

I've seen better... Usually they're gone by the time PJ hits the stage... there was still some left after the show! :S

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    Swordo wrote:

I liked it.

http://insidetherockposterframe.blogspo ... treal.html

Anyone know who the artist is?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Zidane wrote:
    Swordo wrote:

I've seen better... Usually they're gone by the time PJ hits the stage... there was still some left after the show! :S
    It wasn't really that bad....like you said, I've seen better.

But I didn't buy a poster for the first time last night...was it a Monk One?

Peacock design with lots of bright colors...purples, oranges, pinks, greens...just didn't do it for me :(
  • Again, sorry for any inconsiderate comments I may have made....KEEP ROCKIN!!! :D

No worries! :thumbup:
  • Oceans wrote:
    sigh... wish I could go along with everyone who loved the show. I really wished they played more obscure/random setlist, just let it flow. Their setlist has been the same for 10 years. I know they will play evenflow, alive, betterman, yellowledbetter or rocking to top it off. A soft song to start. Just wish they would change it up a little. Don't get me wrong. LOVE..The Music. but when we can call out every song most of the time... Losing the spark. Miss the spontaneity. Play music guys. You don't need to play to new fans anymore. Just play!!! Sorry about the rant everyone. (just trying to blow off steam).
    Dude... have you even payed attention to their setlists from the past 10 years?
    Zidane wrote:
    Swordo wrote:

It wasn't really that bad....like you said, I've seen better.

But I didn't buy a poster for the first time last night...was it a Monk One?

Peacock design with lots of bright colors...purples, oranges, pinks, greens...just didn't do it for me :(

Hahaha!!!

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,525
    Great f'n set there!
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • SwordoSwordo Posts: 266
    JimmyV wrote:
    Swordo wrote:

I liked it.

That is......interesting. Hoping for Ames/Klausen to do Toronto duties......and Hamilton too. haha
  • Lone Drawn MeteorLone Drawn Meteor Vancouver, BC, Canada, Northern Hemishpere, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe Posts: 1,230
    JimmyV wrote:
    Swordo wrote:

I liked it.

Definitely Soto. look at the face under the peacock's chest. creepy.
    "If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedberg
  • So glad to have been there. A special thank you to ten club for my dead centre, 9th row seats. My 17th show and a return to place where I saw PJ for the first time. It was a brilliant performance. Again, thank you Pearl Jam.
  • phungiphungi Posts: 640
    back in Philly after a long ride home... you can't judge a night by a set list... this was a great concert and amazing welcome to Montreal/Canada and kick-start to the tour... the band was clearly and admittedly humbled by the international "feel" of the city as well as the crowd reaction and volume... at times, the energy matched shows like Philly 3 and MSG shows, but the overall feel and sustained consistency did not (for me) match these shows (or place it in the same category)... of course we would love rarities, special treats, never-before-played songs and the like, as well as our own special favorites, but this was a special night for those in attendance... as is the case with "reading a setlist" versus "being at the concert" there were more than two-handfuls of incredible versions/jams that made the "experience" much more than the sum of the parts.

so glad I made the trip, and never knew the trip up 287/87 was so easy... much easier to get to Montreal than Toronto... I will be sure to keep Montreal on my seemingly ever-growing concert radius...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • last exit
    hail hail
    1/2 full

very cool
    8/30/00, 7/11/03, 8/28/08, 8/30/08, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, PJ20, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/25/13, Fenway 2016 1&2
    EV Solo Albany 1&2 09
  • nostackedvinylnostackedvinyl Maine Posts: 857
    great show. it was my fifth and the previous four were in the boston area, which tend to have "rarities" in the setlists. i thought this set list was great. no reason for any complaints. they played some "regulars" that i hadn't seen yet and that was awesome. the band sounded great and i could hear any of those songs 1,000 times. live shows should be appreciated for what they are and these guys do it better than most. the energy in the arena was overwhelming and the band fed off that which was very apparent. great seats from the 10 club as well. best i've ever had. 11th row with my girl on my arm rockin out with me. there's a lot to like about last night.
    it's a fragile thing, this life we lead.

05/24/06, 06/28/08, 06/30/08, 05/17/10, 09/07/11, 09/11/11, 09/12/11, 09/14/11, 09/15/11, 10/15/13, 10/16/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 05/05/16, 05/08/16, 08/07/16, 09/02/18

ev: 06/15/11
  • I am absolutely thrilled to have been at that show last night - I've been floating on a cloud ever since!! The electricity in that room was amazing - the band was on fire, in awesome spirits, and the crowd was so in to it from beginning to end. I thought Eddie sounded perfect and Mike.....! Such LEGENDS all of them!

It was my husbands first PJ show - he's been sporting his red PJ shirt (with the Canadian flag) all day. About half way through the show, I think it hit him where he was. He turned to me and said: "That's fuckin Eddie Vedder!!". To which I replied: "Yep....that's fuckin Eddie Vedder" :D :thumbup: And then we just kept rockin on with the band and the rest of the crowd.

Such a special night in so many ways......thanks Pearl Jam.....see ya on Sunday :D
    love is all good people need....and music sets the sick ones free...
  • He turned to me and said: "That's fuckin Eddie Vedder!!". To which I replied: "Yep....that's fuckin Eddie Vedder"
    Awesome :)
  • so were the posters actually 65$ as stated on ebeans?
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • so were the posters actually 65$ as stated on ebeans?
    No, they were $30
  • kid canada wrote:
    So after doing PJ20 and with tickets for the TIFF premiere on Saturday, both Toronto shows and Hamilton next week, I realized that my total of PJ shows would be 29 (not counting Ed solo shows). I wondered if there was some way I could get that to 30. So yesterday morning I looked online for spare tickets and lo and behold, dmftraveller had an extra 10c ticket at face value. Fan club number 78xxx. My number is 256xxx so I figured that would probably be a pretty good seat.

I left work early, booked a flight and hotel, showed up at the venue alone, met dmftraveller and found our seats were 3rd row, Stone side. Good decision by me.

Show was awesome...the dude with the Lukin license plate was about 2 rows behind me, took a photo of him and his girl before the show...was cool to see Eddie notice it and then gesture that he wanted it passed up to him. Then later in the show he made sure the guy got his license plate back after showing it to the audience.

dmftraveller was rewarded for her generosity by catching a Mike guitar pick, I believe during Crazy Mary when he walked over for his usual jam with Boom, but I don't remember.

I was hoping for a Long Road open but Small Town seemed to work as a tour opener (not counting PJ20). Was surprised to see zero PJ20 merch for sale.

If you saw a guy in a Blue Jays hat and Citizen Dick shirt at Alpine or Montreal, look for me in Toronto and Hamilton, we're all part of the Jamily.

Yes the show was awesome, as usual. Their energy was nothing short of electric (no pun intended). Was blessed with 3rd row seats and the pic from Mike still has me speechless! Kid canada is a real nice guy, and a great ticket-partner. I'm sorry if I got in your way at times when you were trying to take pictures! I kind of lost it at times... Such a great show, words cannnot say.

Thanks to Pearl Jam for 20 years and countless, amazing shows. We fans are so lucky, aren't we?

:D
    "Let the ocean dissolve away my past"
    Boston 4/94; Phoenix 9/95; Hartford 9/98; Mansfield 8/00; Albany 4/03; Mansfield 7/03; Albany 5/06; Boston 5/06; London UK 6/07; Bonaroo 6/08; Hartford 6/08; Mansfield 6/08; Chicago 8/09; Philly 10/30/09 and 10/31/09
    EV: 2008: 4/15, 4/16, 8/1, 8/2, 8/9, 8/10. 2009: 6/8, 6/9
  • I am absolutely thrilled to have been at that show last night - I've been floating on a cloud ever since!! The electricity in that room was amazing - the band was on fire, in awesome spirits, and the crowd was so in to it from beginning to end. I thought Eddie sounded perfect and Mike.....! Such LEGENDS all of them!

It was my husbands first PJ show - he's been sporting his red PJ shirt (with the Canadian flag) all day. About half way through the show, I think it hit him where he was. He turned to me and said: "That's fuckin Eddie Vedder!!". To which I replied: "Yep....that's fuckin Eddie Vedder" :D :thumbup: And then we just kept rockin on with the band and the rest of the crowd.

Such a special night in so many ways......thanks Pearl Jam.....see ya on Sunday :D

See you Sunday!!! :D
  • Sea wrote:
    01. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
    02. Last Exit
    03. Hail Hail
    04. The Fixer
    05. Amongst The Waves
    06. Severed Hand
    07. Setting Forth
    08. Corduroy
    09. Given To Fly
    10. Insignificance
    11. Daughter/Blitzkrieg Bop
    12. Glorified G
    13. 1/2 Full
    14. Do The Evolution
    15. Unthought Known
    16. Why Go
    ENCORE BREAK 1
    17. Evenflow
    18. Come Back
    19. Sleight Of Hand
    20. Down
    21. Black
    22. Arms Aloft
    23. Lukin
    24. Porch
    ENCORE BREAK 2
    25. Betterman
    26. Crazy Mary
    27. Alive
    28. Yellow Ledbetter

this set-list is exactly why i am a fan.

bravo PJ !!!!!
  • Personally, I would have taken this show over either night of PJ20 (minus Cornell). It was a PEARL JAM show, with Pearl Jam songs, and not a ton of guests. Much better flow IMO, and there were only a few flubs - Ed forgot the last lines of Corduroy, and the entire second verse of Sleight.

We were third row Mike side, and there was a pregnant lady in front of us... Mike took his setlist, taped a full set of the new Mike picks to it, signed it, and had Jake give it to her. AWESOME!!!! Seriously made my night, not only to see her rocking, but to see her recognized for being a badass!

Some dudes about 10 rows back had a LUKIN license plate, which made it's way to the stage - and Mark Arm and Dan Peters were on the rail and Ed made a point to pose for them in front of it. Mike seemed to get a huge kick out of Mudhoney watching the encores (trying to get Arm to reach his guitar during Alive), and during Ledbetter, Jeff even came off the stage to talk to them.

For me, HUGE highlights were Last Exit and Hail Hail (as always), a rippin' 1/2 Full, a perfect Insig, the EFFORT to play Sleight, and a completely perfect Come Back that had the lighters all over the arena. And yeah, it was nice to have Corduroy and Why Go back after a few nights off.
  • My throat is fucking killing me from singing! Awesome energy from the crowd. Montreal is hands-down the best city in Canada to see a concert.

Best tunes for me were Why Go, Down, Setting Forth and Glorified G. This was my third show and I've heard Alive, Black, Even Flow, Crazy Mary, Betterman and YL at each show. No complaints, though...I love 'em all. Need me some SOLAT and In Hiding at either Toronto 1 or Ottawa.

I brought a buddy with me who's never seen them and hardly knows them. He couldn't believe how incredible the vibe was and how everyone knew all the lyrics to each song. 10C seats rule.

Expos t-shirt is way cool and I love the fact that they sell poster tubes at the merch tables...$5 well spent.

I think Ed gave away about 5 bottles of wine to people in the front rows. Also, did anyone else notice that he had his wine to his left and another brown bottle to his right??? From my vantage point, I could have sworn it was a whiskey bottle. Was he double-fisting? ie: the "Irish Handcuffs". Can anyone confirm this?

Anyways, on to Toronto then back home to Ottawa.
    2005 - Montreal, Ottawa / 2011 Montreal, Toronto 1, Ottawa / 2013 London, Calgary, Vancouver
  • My throat is fucking killing me from singing! Awesome energy from the crowd. Montreal is hands-down the best city in Canada to see a concert.

Best tunes for me were Why Go, Down, Setting Forth and Glorified G. This was my third show and I've heard Alive, Black, Even Flow, Crazy Mary, Betterman and YL at each show. No complaints, though...I love 'em all. Need me some SOLAT and In Hiding at either Toronto 1 or Ottawa.

I brought a buddy with me who's never seen them and hardly knows them. He couldn't believe how incredible the vibe was and how everyone knew all the lyrics to each song. 10C seats rule.

Expos t-shirt is way cool and I love the fact that they sell poster tubes at the merch tables...$5 well spent.

I think Ed gave away about 5 bottles of wine to people in the front rows. Also, did anyone else notice that he had his wine to his left and another brown bottle to his right??? From my vantage point, I could have sworn it was a whiskey bottle. Was he double-fisting? ie: the "Irish Handcuffs". Can anyone confirm this?

For about 5 years now, during the encores the "second bottle of wine" has either water or Gatorade in it. Last night it was red Gatorade. I have no idea why Ed does it like that, but that's cool either way.
    My throat is fucking killing me from singing! Awesome energy from the crowd. Montreal is hands-down the best city in Canada to see a concert.

Well said! I'll be at both Toronto and Ottawa shows; see you there!

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

dte421 wrote:
    My throat is fucking killing me from singing! Awesome energy from the crowd. Montreal is hands-down the best city in Canada to see a concert.

For about 5 years now, during the encores the "second bottle of wine" has either water or Gatorade in it. Last night it was red Gatorade. I have no idea why Ed does it like that, but that's cool either way.
    My buddy in Philly said the same thing, it's not the first time I hear that! Hahaha!!!

98 - Montreal
    00 - Montreal
    03 - Toronto, Montreal
    04 - Boston (Show #1)
    06 - Toronto (Show #1)
    10 - Cleveland
    16 - QC - Ottawa

• JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    edited September 2011
    Amazing show for many reasons for me.

For the past 18 months I've been nearly incapacitated from a car crash that broke both my legs and shattered a forearm bone as well as nerve damage to my right hand. It's been a hell of an 18 months, learning to walk again (still have a limp), and trying to make a non-functional hand functional again. I was SOOOO looking forward to this show, as well as my husband, also injured in the crash.

Got the tickets and they said Nord Row A. Not knowing exactly where that was, and my husband convinced we were up on the side, I convinced my self after thinking they were great seats, that they weren't. After Mudhoney ended so I could see where I could walk, we walk in and were led up to the front row. Because I can't jump (still have a fracture in my bad leg), I start hitting my husband, telling him I knew it!! And we were in front of Stone!

The setlist was incredible; seeing these songs listed just doesn't portray the energy at all that's released at these live shows, so I find it strange that people can just judge an entire show from reading a list. The crowd was the best and loudest crowd I've been in, in many years. I had to *sit down* every so often because my legs are not that great yet. I didn't want to do it, but some times you don't have a choice.

Elderly Woman was a great opener. Given to Fly always makes everything a whole lot better, as well as Glorified G and Slight of Hand, even with that small setback with forgotten lyrics, and Black was a standout, with full extended audience participation. It was a huge emotional release to have this night of rejoice after such a rough time for me. Thanks 10C, and thanks Pearl Jam!!

Oh, yeah... The Rob interviewed us after the show. That should be pretty funny to hear, I'm sure! I had no voice left by that point. :lol:
    Post edited by Jeanwah on