**** Montreal Fanviews Here 9/7/11 *****

Comments

• I was surprised they started with Elderly Woman. I finally got to hear Come Back.

Great set list.....hoping for Come Back in TO
    Montreal 2003. Halifax 2005. EV Montreal 2008. Toronto 2009
    Toronto 2011 1 & 2 London 2013. Quebec City 2016. Ottawa 2016
    Fenway 2016 1 & 2
  • drsluggo wrote:
    merch review??
    Yeah- YieldToNothing speaks some serious truth - lets get some pics and reviews of the merch from Canada!!

No pics yet... Really sweet looking expos logo pj shirt and a Molson Canadian brand one as well AWESOME!
  • nevmilesnevmiles Ottawa, ON Posts: 1,363
    What time did PJ take the stage?
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,383
    edited September 2011
    Oceans wrote:
    sigh... wish I could go along with everyone who loved the show. I really wished they played more obscure/random setlist, just let it flow. Their setlist has been the same for 10 years. I know they will play evenflow, alive, betterman, yellowledbetter or rocking to top it off. A soft song to start. Just wish they would change it up a little. Don't get me wrong. LOVE..The Music. but when we can call out every song most of the time... Losing the spark. Miss the spontaneity. Play music guys. You don't need to play to new fans anymore. Just play!!! Sorry about the rant everyone. (just trying to blow off steam).

I'm 100% with you. I loved Elderly Woman for a starter (which surprised me, it's not my favorite live), and I lost my shit during Last Exit, never heard it live before. What a great great song. From then on though, imho, it was a lot of radio friendly tunes I seem to hear almost every time I see them.

The show was great and their energy was awesome, but I was hoping to hear something else I've never heard live before (Blood, Rats, No Way, All those Yesterdays, Present Tense - I defintely hoped they would be riding the PJ20 wave & pulling out some randoms)

The merch was cool, I got the last Expos / PJ T shirt at the stand & the poster was a nice looking peacock design. I met a ton of awesome 10 clubbers; BIG UPS TO DEMETRIOS & FITPEARL for putting together the pre-party.

Great show in a great city, definitely not my favorite setlist by the band, but hey it was fucking Pearl Jam live! I wouldn't drive up from Boston if I thought they might put on a bad show.

Looking forward to seeing them in the States in '12!!
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    Last night's show was exactly what I was expecting after Alpine Valley: the band in great spirits and playing with a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

I've seen every Montreal show since '98 and the crowd definitely brought it last night (easily my favorite Montreal show last night) - the cheering was loud and consistent from the 1st note onwards. My 10C tickets were located in the 5th row on Stone's side, but they were traded off for 11th row seats just off center. Honestly this band is meant to be watched in concert from ~10th row, give or take. For my 50th show I thought the setlist was terrific, the song selection was definitely well-received and appreciated, and other than a couple of lyric flubs I thought the band was playing very well. Ed's voice started to give out by the time they played Even Flow, but he did his best to compensate. The momentum of the show was just top notch, and while I could always do without hearing Black at a show the crowd definitely impressed me with their desire to take over vocals - best crowd intensity tonight I've seen in a while, better than Philly 3 for sure. The pace of the main set, the positioning of each of those songs, it all just worked and was a positive sign for the rest of the upcoming Canadian shows.

Personal highlights included the entire band playing on Setting Forth, a track that could easily have been written and performed by the entire band...the song just takes on an entirely different element when performed by the entire group. Arms Aloft was another personal highlight, I was hoping to hear the song live and it's a great cover. It seemed for a brief moment like the band was going to abandon Sleight of Hand after Ed forgot the lyrics, but it was nice that they didn't and continued playing until Ed remembered the next verse. Half Full was just on fire. In general Ed was very talkative and in a great mood, commenting that the band really enjoyed playing in Montreal because of the city's foreign vibe ("felt like it was another country, but our plugs (for electrical sockets) still fit." Ed read his horoscope from yesterday's paper to the crowd, something about "staying away from negative people and sad times and just going where the music is playing and where there are smiles." Seemed true enough. The Expos-themed shirt was the only tee shirt this merchandise whore could bring himself to purchase. Really convenient when a venue sets up a merchandise tent/booth outside the venue an hour or two before doors open, if only that was the case at every show as it made the process that much more simple. The poster looks terrific in person, and while I'm not entirely sold on it I'm glad I purchased it.

Drove back home right after the show and collapsed into bed at 5am only to wake up at 7am. Absolutely worth it for last night's show.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • 100 Pacer wrote:
    Last night's show was exactly what I was expecting after Alpine Valley: the band in great spirits and playing with a lot of energy and enthusiasm.

I've seen every Montreal show since '98 and the crowd definitely brought it last night (easily my favorite Montreal show last night) - the cheering was loud and consistent from the 1st note onwards. My 10C tickets were located in the 5th row on Stone's side, but they were traded off for 11th row seats just off center. Honestly this band is meant to be watched in concert from ~10th row, give or take. For my 50th show I thought the setlist was terrific, the song selection was definitely well-received and appreciated, and other than a couple of lyric flubs I thought the band was playing very well. Ed's voice started to give out by the time they played Even Flow, but he did his best to compensate. The momentum of the show was just top notch, and while I could always do without hearing Black at a show the crowd definitely impressed me with their desire to take over vocals - best crowd intensity tonight I've seen in a while, better than Philly 3 for sure. The pace of the main set, the positioning of each of those songs, it all just worked and was a positive sign for the rest of the upcoming Canadian shows.

Personal highlights included the entire band playing on Setting Forth, a track that could easily have been written and performed by the entire band...the song just takes on an entirely different element when performed by the entire group. Arms Aloft was another personal highlight, I was hoping to hear the song live and it's a great cover. It seemed for a brief moment like the band was going to abandon Sleight of Hand after Ed forgot the lyrics, but it was nice that they didn't and continued playing until Ed remembered the next verse. Half Full was just on fire. In general Ed was very talkative and in a great mood, commenting that the band really enjoyed playing in Montreal because of the city's foreign vibe ("felt like it was another country, but our plugs (for electrical sockets) still fit." Ed read his horoscope from yesterday's paper to the crowd, something about "staying away from negative people and sad times and just going where the music is playing and where there are smiles." Seemed true enough. The Expos-themed shirt was the only tee shirt this merchandise whore could bring himself to purchase. Really convenient when a venue sets up a merchandise tent/booth outside the venue an hour or two before doors open, if only that was the case at every show as it made the process that much more simple. The poster looks terrific in person, and while I'm not entirely sold on it I'm glad I purchased it.

Drove back home right after the show and collapsed into bed at 5am only to wake up at 7am. Absolutely worth it for last night's show.

Finally a review from someone i trust to be honest and sightfull ...Thanks E ...Glad you got a good one
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,662
    100 Pacer wrote:

Finally a review from someone i trust to be honest and sightfull ...Thanks E ...Glad you got a good one

was just thinking the same ;)
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,662
    rjwhite19 wrote:
    I was surprised they started with Elderly Woman. I finally got to hear Come Back.

Great set list.....hoping for Come Back in TO

id have it at every show!!
  • merch review??

The poster was a big Peacock.

They have an awesome shirt based on an old Canadian beer lable that says "Pearl Jam" and "Canadian Tour" in the font from the original label. It was really awesome looking.

They have a lot of other shirts based on PJ20 logo.

They have keychains and stickers based on the PJ20 logo.

It didn't look like thay had any "Montreal specific" shirts like the hockey shirts last time.

From the set, I thought "Why Go?" was blistering! One of the best versions I have seen.

Mahlon
  • Great looking setlist.. set the standards for the rest of the tour.
    Noticed that Even Flow was kept to the Encores.... maybe they're begining to phase it out, which will please the Even Flow Haters. :lol::lol::lol:

I love the song, so i hope not.
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,439
    that is what a PJ show is supposed to look like.......nice
  • mahloni wrote:
    merch review??

The poster was a big Peacock.

They have an awesome shirt based on an old Canadian beer lable that says "Pearl Jam" and "Canadian Tour" in the font from the original label. It was really awesome looking.

They have a lot of other shirts based on PJ20 logo.

They have keychains and stickers based on the PJ20 logo.

It didn't look like thay had any "Montreal specific" shirts like the hockey shirts last time.

From the set, I thought "Why Go?" was blistering! One of the best versions I have seen.

Mahlon

you must have missed the Expos shirt; great shirt too.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    What a fantastic show! So worth the trip.

I was a little disappointed when Small Town opened just because it meant no Long Road or Oceans, but it was SO GOOD and it lit the crowd on fire. The crowd was great all night. Very impressed by Montreal in that regard.

Best Evenflow I have ever heard. Mike ruled last night. During Crazy Mary he stood next to Boom during the solo and they sort of "dueled", guitar vs. organ. Very cool.

Full version of Glorified G was great. Come Back was (I think) a set change -- you could see they all gathered on stage and discussed something before busting it out. Doesn't get played a lot and Eddie explained it was written about Johnny Ramone. I did not know that. Again, very cool.

Not a ton of rarities but I think that is for the better. I have always said that Small Town, Black, Alive and Yellow Ledbetter are four of the greatest songs of our generation and all were played last night. Great to hear Ledbetter - first time for me since 1994.

Can't wait till next time! Hopefully they will be back in Boston next year.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse
    Of my innocence... got back my inner sense...
  • kid canadakid canada Toronto Posts: 440
    So after doing PJ20 and with tickets for the TIFF premiere on Saturday, both Toronto shows and Hamilton next week, I realized that my total of PJ shows would be 29 (not counting Ed solo shows). I wondered if there was some way I could get that to 30. So yesterday morning I looked online for spare tickets and lo and behold, dmftraveller had an extra 10c ticket at face value. Fan club number 78xxx. My number is 256xxx so I figured that would probably be a pretty good seat.

I left work early, booked a flight and hotel, showed up at the venue alone, met dmftraveller and found our seats were 3rd row, Stone side. Good decision by me.

Show was awesome...the dude with the Lukin license plate was about 2 rows behind me, took a photo of him and his girl before the show...was cool to see Eddie notice it and then gesture that he wanted it passed up to him. Then later in the show he made sure the guy got his license plate back after showing it to the audience.

dmftraveller was rewarded for her generosity by catching a Mike guitar pick, I believe during Crazy Mary when he walked over for his usual jam with Boom, but I don't remember.

I was hoping for a Long Road open but Small Town seemed to work as a tour opener (not counting PJ20). Was surprised to see zero PJ20 merch for sale.

If you saw a guy in a Blue Jays hat and Citizen Dick shirt at Alpine or Montreal, look for me in Toronto and Hamilton, we're all part of the Jamily.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • (...)

The merch was cool, I got the last Expos / PJ T shirt at the stand & the poster was a nice looking peacock design. I met a ton of awesome 10 clubbers; BIG UPS TO DEMETRIOS & FITPEARL for putting together the pre-party.

Great show in a great city, definitely not my favorite setlist by the band, but hey it was fucking Pearl Jam live! I wouldn't drive up from Boston if I thought they might put on a bad show.

Looking forward to seeing them in the States in '12!!
    thanks to fans that make this possible!!

And thanks to Demetrios who helped me A LOT.

Its been a real pleasure, even if it was very stressful, specially when I was yelling the coupon number @ McKibbins. Hope I didnt scare anyone!! :o

:lol::lol:
    "Pearl Jam are not just a band, they are a choice, and if you make that choice, you become one of the few lucky people on this planet to have your life enriched by the greatest gift that music ever gave" -- substitute

To 10c; "Your PJ tshirt should be tight enough to show you're a woman and loose enough to show you're a lady." - bionicamy

Pearl Jam is the Boxer. We're just happy to be the bag -- Aaron Cunningham,Fanviews '98
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    edited September 2011
    down!!!

'nuff said. ;)

fun show and happy to hear down for the 6th* out of now 33 shows. heard it my very first show in 2003....and i LOVE it! montreal crowd was awesome! had really sweet seats, mr. dream and i just had a great time. looking forward to a few more days in this beautiful (albeit pricey!) city...and then onwards to toronto!

8-)

time for some breakfast with my fellow jammers...

*edited b/c apparently i have no memory.... :?
    i thought i've only heard it 2, maybe 3x tops.....just checked the song stats and yea, heard it a lot more, but still....i just love that damn tune SO much, it's always so special to me!!!
    Post edited by decides2dream on
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Hey, I saw you in the Citizen Dick tshirt! Just wanted to say, nice shirt.

I, on the other hand, was the only person I saw with a Soundgarden tee.

On another matter, how long does it take before the official bootlegs are released?

Great show by the way!
  • First let me start out by putting an offer out there...I have an XL Expos shirts that I am looking to trade for a M or L edition. I found the last merch stand with any left in stock and took the XL because that's all they had left. So, I'm a smaller guy so if anyone is looking to trade, PM me.

This was my first MTL show, I drove up from NYC. My 10C seats were AWESOME compared to my usual MSG seats! I was 18th row on the floor, and at MSG I'm on the floor but very far back. (10C #334xxx).

Loved Elderly Woman as the opener, always thought it would make a good one and I was right.

Setlist itself was not mind-blowing, I think I was expecting a few more rarities. Definitely the least amount of cover songs I've seen in a set.

Montreal crowd was great. Nice and loud and very into it. I'll definitely come back next time they're up here!
    Uniondale, NY 04/30/03 - Camden, NJ 07/05/03 - MSG 07/08/03 - Reading, PA 10/01/04 - Philly 10/03/05 - Ed Sullivan Theatre 05/04/06 - MSG 06/25/08 - MSG 05/21/10 - NYC (EV solo) 06/21/11 - Montreal 09/07/11 - Brooklyn 10/18/13 - Central Park 09/26/15 - Philly 04/29/16 - MSG 05/01/16 - MSG 05/02/16 - Fenway 08/05/16 - Fenway 09/02/18 - Fenway 09/04/18 
  • I would like to extend a HUGE WTF to the folks in section 112, for about 5 rows in front of row C (probably around 30 people or so), who sat through 90% of the show. They were the ONLY people sitting in the whole joint.

These people are supposedly 10 Clubbers. Do everyone a favor and don't attend any more shows. You are a complete waste of space at a Pearl Jam gig. This isn't the opera. I was thoroughly embarrassed for all of you.

Really, how the fuck do you sit through Corduroy, Insignificance, DTE and Porch??? Oh, but they got right up for Even Flow, Black and Betterman...way to represent.

I understand that everyone is different and everyone does their own thing, but come the fuck on. This band is up there giving EVERYTHING to you; it's your fuckin duty to give it right back to them.

MAD PROPS to PearlDrummer, who sat directly behind me. 18 years fuckin old and rocked his tits off. New Yorkers behind me also rocked all night. Thank you guys for setting a good example for everyone :D

Oh, the band was ON FIRE. Get ready for some SHOWS Canada!!!
  • I would like to extend a HUGE WTF to the folks in section 112, for about 5 rows in front of row C (probably around 30 people or so), who sat through 90% of the show. They were the ONLY people sitting in the whole joint.

These people are supposedly 10 Clubbers. Do everyone a favor and don't attend any more shows. You are a complete waste of space at a Pearl Jam gig. This isn't the opera. I was thoroughly embarrassed for all of you.

Really, how the fuck do you sit through Corduroy, Insignificance, DTE and Porch??? Oh, but they got right up for Even Flow, Black and Betterman...way to represent.

I understand that everyone is different and everyone does their own thing, but come the fuck on. This band is up there giving EVERYTHING to you; it's your fuckin duty to give it right back to them.

MAD PROPS to PearlDrummer, who sat directly behind me. 18 years fuckin old and rocked his tits off. New Yorkers behind me also rocked all night. Thank you guys for setting a good example for everyone :D

I so hope this was a wheelchair row. :o
    hippiemom = goodness
  • JimmyV wrote:
    What a fantastic show! So worth the trip.

I was a little disappointed when Small Town opened just because it meant no Long Road or Oceans, but it was SO GOOD and it lit the crowd on fire. The crowd was great all night. Very impressed by Montreal in that regard.

Best Evenflow I have ever heard. Mike ruled last night. During Crazy Mary he stood next to Boom during the solo and they sort of "dueled", guitar vs. organ. Very cool.

Full version of Glorified G was great. Come Back was (I think) a set change -- you could see they all gathered on stage and discussed something before busting it out. Doesn't get played a lot and Eddie explained it was written about Johnny Ramone. I did not know that. Again, very cool.

Not a ton of rarities but I think that is for the better. I have always said that Small Town, Black, Alive and Yellow Ledbetter are four of the greatest songs of our generation and all were played last night. Great to hear Ledbetter - first time for me since 1994.

Can't wait till next time! Hopefully they will be back in Boston next year.

hopefully?? how dare you!!!

glad you had fun Jimmy

I so hope this was a wheelchair row. :o
    Oh Jesus would I feel like a piece of shit! But these folks were very able bodied sad sacks.
    dlord wrote:
    Hey, I saw you in the Citizen Dick tshirt! Just wanted to say, nice shirt.

I, on the other hand, was the only person I saw with a Soundgarden tee.

On another matter, how long does it take before the official bootlegs are released?

Great show by the way!

Mike was wearing a Soundgarden tee for the encores, so that makes two.
    '96: Toronto / '00: Toronto, Montreal / '03: Buffalo, State College, Toronto, Montreal, NYC I & II, Hershey / '04: Toledo, Grand Rapids / '05: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto / '06: Toronto I & II / '07: Chicago (The Vic), Lolla / '09: Toronto / '11: PJ20 I & II, Montreal, Toronto I & II / '13: London ON, Wrigley, Buffalo, Brooklyn I & II / '16: Toronto I & II, Fenway I & II / '18: London UK I, Wrigley I & II, Fenway I
  • What time did Mudhoney take the stage ?

What time did PJ take the stage ?

How much were the posters ?

Thanks !
    What time did Mudhoney take the stage ?

What time did PJ take the stage ?

How much were the posters ?

Thanks !

Pearl Jam came on around 8:50 PM and was off at around 11:20. I forget when Mudhoney came on, I was in the merch line.
  • Hey you guys rocked last night in Montreal!
    Very good crowd.
    I hope Toronto will be as good.
    It was a very nice show after Alpine
    Crazy Mary was my highlight with Boom and Mike duelling.
  • Setting Forth into Cordurory is a great idea for future shows. Seems like they would flow perfectly together. I'm glad they brought this one out as a full band song. Would love to see them get Far Behind in there too.
  • Great show! Great Crowd! That was my first big show in Montreal, and it won't be my last - everyone seemed to be into it from start to finish.
  • Oceans wrote:
    sigh... wish I could go along with everyone who loved the show. I really wished they played more obscure/random setlist, just let it flow. Their setlist has been the same for 10 years. I know they will play evenflow, alive, betterman, yellowledbetter or rocking to top it off. A soft song to start. Just wish they would change it up a little. Don't get me wrong. LOVE..The Music. but when we can call out every song most of the time... Losing the spark. Miss the spontaneity. Play music guys. You don't need to play to new fans anymore. Just play!!! Sorry about the rant everyone. (just trying to blow off steam).

?????