Options

Disappointed in the opening show?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Jerome230Jerome230 Posts: 903
    edited September 2011
    ManOftheHr wrote:
    Really let down. Was pumped & feeling great for show. Enjoyed the Strokes.
    Release was amazing, but it was all down hill from there. Never picked up momentum.
    I was shocked when it ended, felt like there was much more to go.
    Debating on driving back tonight & skipping tomorrow, worried it will be another let down.

I never thought I'd say this to anyone on here...but dude, seriously. Fuck you. There are at least a million people who would have loved to be in your shoes but had families, jobs and other prior engagements. How ungrateful for saying that you're debating going back for another let down. Fine! Don't go!
    Post edited by Jerome230 on
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    bjmjpl wrote:

i do feel that folks should be a able to complain and vent and celebrate and share - this isnt a groupthink forum....hopefully....

show shounds great!

quick ? - i have seen a few soundgarden shows on the Palladia HD and i have to say that i thought Chris ruined those shows - he sounded terrible, out of shape, couldnt breath....i havent heard a lot of CC live so maybe he is just always like that - but i seem to rem a much more powerful performance years ago....

anybody shed some light on this - was he in top form bec it was 4 shows and a showcase or am i lost and he is as great as ever..?

I've seen clips over the past few years where Chris did sound really, really bad ... to the point where I was worried had had fatally shredded his voice for good and it wasn't coming back. So I know what you're talking about.

Last night, though, my God. I don't know if it was just the stars aligning or what, but Cornell knocked those four songs clean out of the park.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Discopij wrote:
    I'm shocked people are compaining about last night's show. To me, it felt so special. Playing so many deep cuts and fan favorites ... the TOTD reunion ... a new Mother Love Bone cover ... amazing.

Also, the show was 2:28 long ... i timed it ... not that it matters

People don't seem to get the history. Watching Jeff and Stone perform a Mother Love Bone song, probably that particular song for the first time since Andy Wood died, just gave me chills.

It took me back 20 years, put me in their shoes, back before they were in the biggest band in the world, just struggling to make it, wondering if Andy's death meant the end of their musical careers. Playing the Temple of the Dog songs -- a record that was made in tribute to Andy, without whose tragedy Pearl Jam would not exist -- made the evening even more poignant.

The whole thing seemed communal, and cathartic, and historic if you really took the time to stop and thinking about it, instead of checking your watch and impatiently wondering when they were going to start playing Pearl Jam songs again.

Not to mention, Mike McCready just made all these songs his personal bitch.

Going into the weekend, I was secretly and selfishly hoping for little to no guests. After leaving the show last night (at 3 fucking a.m.), I realized PJ20 couldn't have been PJ20 without Cornell and Temple of the Dog. To watch that group of friends up there, memorializing the man that made the last 20 years possible, it just made me feel all warm inside. I smiled the entire time. It was awesome.

If you weren't there, I feel sorry for you.
    If you were there, and can't appreciate or understand what you just witnessed, I feel sorry for you, too.

All of this +1000. What an incredible night. The set was a little weird but it was unexpected and exciting at the same time.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    [comment removed, I was hung over and crabby.]
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    I really don't understand how people didn't like this setlist? Almost every song was a complete surprise, most of them rarities. The band sounded really good and Chris Cornell's set was fantastic. In the Moonlight with Josh was amazing. I don't even like that song and I enjoyed the hell out of it. The only thing I didn't like was ending with Kick out the Jams. Kind of weird but then again I certainly didn't want to hear Ledbetter for the 30th time. REALLY looking forward to tonight.
  • Options
    dl152203 wrote:
    I'll be trying to unload my seats for tomorrow. No way I'm going back to that crap hole.

I think you should def unload ur seats....just the fact that PJ would pick this crapy spot in the middle of the country so east could meet west....is just silly.....you dont need to be there...nor do they/us want u there ...... you just dont seem like that happy of a person.....last night was 23 PJ shows for me and it was rockin.... ive seen lots of other live shows....the dead 55 times.....and my 24th PJ show is gonna be bad ass no matter what they play...i drove from NYC 15 hours to be here and i am just grateful....so u should pack up your belongings and head out...you can read all the posts about tomorrow....peace
  • Options
    GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    edited September 2011
    An anniversary is a celebration of the people having the anniversary, not the people attending the party.

When your parents have an anniversary, do you plan things that you all want to do? No, you do things for THEM. This is THEIR party, it ain't yours. For all they've done over the years, last night was a time to bring friends up with them to celebrate.

The sense of entitlement of some people is really beyond me.

And 1/2 the party is left!
    Post edited by GD274660 on
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    One of the best PJ nights ever. Not sure what show some of these people went to. Elbows and Assholes I guess.
  • Options
    I thought it was awesome! The great thing about Pearl Jam is that they play deep cuts off of their albums, cuts that the casual fan may not know but means something to the hardcore fans. The playing of these songs didn't affect my "flow" at all. If you want a "greatest hits" type set, go check out a nostalgic act at your local county/state fair. The setlist was great, the fans were great that I dealt with, and the Temple of the Dog mini set was amazing. I'm not going to the show tonight, as hitting refresh for 8 1/2 hours didn't get me the 10c package and I couldn't swing buying tickets to both shows the traditional way, but I am so glad I went to last night's show. I will never forget it. It was also very cool meeting so many people from different parts of the world there. It really made me feel like I was a part of something special, which I think I was.

Also, I may be a little biased as I live 30 minutes away and I have attended probably 50+ shows there, but I love Alpine Valley. Yes, I didn't get out of the parking lot until around 2:30 a.m., but after that show I didn't give a sh*t.
  • Options
    Loved the experience. It will be in my memory forever. Lucky to be here.
  • Options
    Spoiled is what we all are...

Yes I too expected at least a 3 hour mega extravaganza, secretly hoping, praying for a record breaking world changing 4-1/2 hour sleepover session (lol) and yes I think 28 songs is short for a 20 year anniversary special that was hyped in my head to be this BIG shindig of the century. I hyped myself up and it's my fault for being greedy!

All of the above it was not...I was wrong. I think we all expected too much because they have always given us everything and more. When you get an epic show once...you expect another and another. Epic shows are moments that can't be re-created easily, it's the zone, the venue, the crowd, the setlist flow and the moment in time when everything is firing on all cylinders.

What makes this even harder to accomplish on a regular basis is the setlist changes from night to night.
    ( Thank God for that )
    They don't plan peaks and valleys, ups and downs, they do their best to do what they are feeling in the moment and it usually pans out great. Last night... was not so great IMO but it did have good moments.

I would love to replace about 12 songs with others and double the time...lol

Go
    Animal
    Whipping
    Tremor Christ
    W.M.A.
    Leash
    Rats
    Man of the hour
    Rival
    Footsteps
    Present Tense
    Daughter

Overall it was a 3-1/2 star performance IMO
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    Spoiled is what we all are...

I think this sums it up...

Yes I too expected at least a 3 hour mega extravaganza, secretly hoping, praying for a record breaking world changing 4-1/2 hour sleepover session (lol) and yes I think 28 songs is short for a 20 year anniversary special that was hyped in my head to be this BIG shindig of the century. I hyped myself up and it's my fault for being greedy!

I think you forget that this was only part 1 of a music extravaganza. So you only heard 28 songs from a two-part setlist... That will be in total about aprox. 56 songs...
  • Options
    +1 & well put, all of this moaning just baffles me, really baffles me, id have given my right arm to be at this weekend, id have to question the real passion in the ''bitching fans'' hearts towards the band

I think that in the end it is all about expectations...

It seems to me that the band can't win. A few days ago this board was flooded with posts where fans asked the band *not* to play staple songs and make it "a show for the fans". When they load their setlist with rarities, it is not "flowing" and "dissapointing"...

It is our fault that we make each other crazy for weeks before the festival starts; it is our fault that we set these ridicicious (and contradicting) expectations, that no band (including PJ) can live up to... No matter what they do, they will dissapoint someone... If they had played Even Flow or Alive, it would have been "too standard".

I learned a long time ago; that when it comes to PJ, never know what to expect and takes what is given to you... The unexpected is IMO their greatest appeal.

Like someone stated, it seems to me that the (main) theme of this show was the history of the band.

It def. wasn't a staple show... Help Help, Who You Are? Wow! It is like they took the list that was floating around here a week ago...

Goddammit, I love this post.

And thank you! ;)
  • Options
    iminthegardeniminthegarden Boston Posts: 51
    Jerome230 wrote:
    ManOftheHr wrote:
    Really let down. Was pumped & feeling great for show. Enjoyed the Strokes.
    Release was amazing, but it was all down hill from there. Never picked up momentum.
    I was shocked when it ended, felt like there was much more to go.
    Debating on driving back tonight & skipping tomorrow, worried it will be another let down.

I never thought I'd say this to anyone on here...but dude, seriously. Fuck you. There are at least a million people who would have loved to be in your shoes but had families, jobs and other prior engagements. How ungrateful for saying that you're debating going back for another let down. Fine! Don't go!

+1 (I am one of the million people)

I rarely post here just checking in to see how the show went... I'm just surprised at the tone of some people! I have loved PJ since the beginning and back then would have given anything to see mother love bone or temple of the Dog play... so to be able to see a bit of history even if you didnt care for the set list or "momentum of the show"REally? I just wish I could have been there even if it wasnt their greatest show just be grateful for the experience.
  • Options
    jaselynchjaselynch Sydney Posts: 67
    It upsets me that i seem to have enjoyed the show more sitting here in Sydney watching the setlist come in via twitter than some people did at the show.
    Spoiled and ungrateful IMO.
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    edited September 2011
    Stryker wrote:
    I do note that most of the /NOT HAPPY CAMPERS have really low thread counts.

Thread counts don't mean shit. Look at your thread count compared to the guy that posted immediately following you. Compared to him your thread count isn't even a drop in the bucket. Does that make you any less of a fan? No. It just means the other guy has more time to waste on the internet. Nothing more, nothing less.

"It just means the other guy has more time to waste on the internet." Too funny. Can we be friends? j/k

I remember riding home on the Metro from the PJ concert in 2006 in DC and I heard a woman say she was disappointed that they did not play Black. I'm sure people here would bash her and say she isn't a real fan. I can identify with what she is saying. I liked their radio hits too besides the unknown stuff the "real" fans only know :roll:
    Post edited by iluvcats on
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    Dissident81Dissident81 Chicago Suburbs Posts: 43
    I'm setting up a new thread for all of you posing whiners to donate your tickets and low 10c numbers to fans that are less fortunate and/or that love PJ for what it is, "perfect" or not...
  • Options
    Just watched the "say hello to heaven " vid on u tube and it almost brought me to tears hate to see if i was actually seeng that ,WOW , anyone on here who cant muster enough to appreciate that show and the history they tried to relay with the songs should have thier head examined , that was masterful the way chris sang his mini set , temple of the dog is one of my all time fave albums , maybe its just me but i saw them do a few of those somgs live before , audioslave did reach down here once and i saw PJ and soundgarden do a temple song at lolapolloza in 92 in Vancouver , and chris did some acostic versions of TOTD here in Edmonton this year ( check it on u tube ) , But ive never heard him sing it like that! thing of what they were all thinking about playing those songs? AMAZING! :mrgreen: <<< me green with ENVY!
    “I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    The in between is mine
    I am mine”
  • Options
    the only true 'crime' pj ever committed was creating such a crazy number of kickass songs that they made it impossible to get to all of them at one show. personally, im happy enough hearing some versions of 'typical' songs (ie. black, immortality, go at charlotte 2003, all amazing renditions that evening). and im sure these will probably all be played tonight so i would be thrilled to have gotten the set night 1 got. it was completely unique and even if the timing/flow was a little off, so what. sometimes that happens when you try something new. haven't seen these guys since 2008, i need some live pj soon! :evil: also, i dont understand all the people saying 'yea cornell was cool and all, but i wouldve been ok with just 2 or3..' he only did 4, is it really that much of a difference that so many people had to comment that? its like 5 minutes extra to what they wouldve been ok with. nothing major.
    No time to question why nothing lasts
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    Okay just newly checking out last nights show and reading the threads, and one thing i can say is i'm pissed off.... .... pissed off because they pull out a show like this, and people at the start of the thread are complaining that it was a crap show and set lest.. whilst there are hundreds of people like me sitting at home would kill to be there.. do they not realise just how f-ing lucky they are.
    Obviously there are people out there with their heads up their own arses....
  • Options
    Too many good songs, not enough time and high expectations.

On any other day this show would have been highly praised as being great, not epic but great.
    I think it's the "special" anniversary thing that fucked with everybody's way of thinking. I personally had visions of better than Penn State, Buffalo 03' mixed in with Canada 05' with a touch of 92' tossed in.
    After all this was touted as being a "special" once in a lifetime event. PJ has set the bar HIGH.

All the hysteria that led up to it, we all thought this was going to be not just good but INSANELY incredible!

McCready MVP of night 1 HE BLAZED to save the night!!!!!!!!!!

Highlights...Release, In my Tree, Hunger Strike, Breath, SOLAT

Lowlights....too much Cornell, sorry I do like him but not enough to buy a ticket or travel for.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940

Lowlights....too much Cornell, sorry I do like him but not enough to buy a ticket or travel for.
    how can honoring Andy Wood be a lowlight? you do know the history of andy wood and chris cornell, right? it was pretty much a given cornell would show up and do a TOTD encore.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:

how can honoring Andy Wood be a lowlight? you do know the history of andy wood and chris cornell, right? it was pretty much a given cornell would show up and do a TOTD encore.

Of course I know the Andy Wood history and I LOVE MLB.

I just don't think Cornell did the songs any justice, I don't think Ed sounds good singing MLB songs either.
    I understand the need to commemorate that moment in time but I just didn't dig it. That's just me....I'm sure many thousands loved it.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • Options

Of course I know the Andy Wood history and I LOVE MLB.

I just don't think Cornell did the songs any justice, I don't think Ed sounds good singing MLB songs either.
    I understand the need to commemorate that moment in time but I just didn't dig it. That's just me....I'm sure many thousands loved it.
    i too am one of the many pj fans that loves MLB. i think cornell sounded nervous and all. he sounded much better a few months ago when i saw SG.

• Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Is this venue all seating?
  • Options
    My wife buys nothing but greatest hits albums. So maybe she would have said that she didn't recogbise any of the songs. Other than someone like her, which is fine, how could anybody be disappointed. Talk about rarities, digging deep, etc. I wasmt there nut would buy any DVD of it. Looked amazing
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    most of it is lawn

venue holds 7,000 seats and the rest is lawn that holds 33,000 people

• Options
    I think some people just go to too many PJ shows, Some people were just slamming night 1 on here yesterday
    5/30/03 9/2/05 9/4/05 9/5/05 7/22/06 7/23/06 9/21/09 9/22/09 9/21/11 9/22/11
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    metsfan wrote:
    Byrnzie wrote:
    most of it is lawn

venue holds 7,000 seats and the rest is lawn that holds 33,000 people

I imagine having seats at the front of the stage at a rock concert would do a lot to suck a lot of the energy out of a show.