Options

Disappointed in the opening show?

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    I'm disappointed that, due to all the hype surrounding this event, there was physically no way that the band could deliver exactly what many fans expected. Four hour shows, setlists with not a standard song in view... If anyone here is disappointed, they should direct that disappointment at the fans collectively who decided this would be the end-all, be-all definitive Pearl Jam show. It's just a concert - go in with high expectations, but make them realistic! Seems to me the band delivered a pretty unique set, and I'm pretty sure that the optimists probably had a blast :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Pearl Jam hit the stage just before 10pm.....The show ended at around 12:10am....It was just about a 2hr show...

Jeremy
  • Options
    I think the setlist was really tight...Up until the four Chris Cornell songs....Two songs would have been good...In my own opinion....I guess I set my expectations way to high for what I thought the length of the show would be last..But, I sure thought it would have been much longer and finshed much stronger....

You can bash me or whatever...Just stating how I feel..

Jeremy
  • Options
    dl152203 wrote:
    I have seen 40+ shows. This was easily the most dissapointing show I have attended. Show had no flow. Plus easily the worst venue ever. Can't believe this shit hole they call alpine.

I have to agree the setlist sort of had no flow at the tail end of the show....But, they did play a lot of rare tracks...
  • Options
    StrykerStryker Upstate, NY Posts: 585
    I do note that most of the /NOT HAPPY CAMPERS have really low thread counts.

Thread counts don't mean shit. Look at your thread count compared to the guy that posted immediately following you. Compared to him your thread count isn't even a drop in the bucket. Does that make you any less of a fan? No. It just means the other guy has more time to waste on the internet. Nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    shermsherm Seattle, Wa Posts: 708
    All I have to say is WTF?

Maybe I was just grateful to be there but it was awesome to me...

And today will be the same.
    Detroit 03, Toronto 03, Toledo 04, Kitchener 05, London 05, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, Cincinnati 06, Chicago 07, Mansfield 08, EV Chicago 08, East Troy 11, Pensacola 12, EV Jax 12, Wrigley 13, Pittsburgh 13, Dallas 13, OKC 13, Detroit 14, Ft Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jax 16, Sea 18 
  • Options
    All I have to say is WTF?

Thanks for the insightful post.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • Options
    dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    Disappointed!? I sat at home a listened to a shitty quality webcast and impressed. What would have made you not disappointed? Just curious. I would have loved to have been there.
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,350
    For the record, Pearl Jam started playing at 9:44 p.m. and stopped playing at 12:12 a.m. 2 hours, 28 minutes, including two encore breaks. I checked the times on my phone.

This is not a comment on the show one way or the other, but I have to ask: Do the people who say that they would have given their right arm to be at the show so no one who was there should complain appreciate the irony in their own statements? If you weren't at the show, then you really have no basis on which to challenge the experience that others had who were actually there.

Let people vent their frustration. If you came a long way and at significant expense to see the show and were disappointed, there is some solace in sharing your experience and learning that others were disappointed, too.

If you're someone who is offended by people who complain about shows, it's probably a good idea to skip the threads that have "disappointed" in the title.

For the record, I enjoyed the show, but it is probably somewhere in the middle of the pack among the 43 PJ shows I've seen. The sound was really good, the crowd was decent, and the set list was hit and miss. The biggest head scratcher for me was "Arms Aloft." I wasn't expecting (or wanting) to hear that, but it probably would have been less bothersome later in the set. Coming right after a really powerful and emotional "Release," with so much energy in the place, it kind of popped the bubble for a few minutes there.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    I think venting frustration is good
    but appreciating the fact you were able to attend a historic event
    of a beloved band when really a lot of faithful fans of the last 20 years were not,
    is even better.

This I think is what kind of rubs people the wrong way ... 'belly achin' usually does....
    this when those who could not attend ....they have no memory to keep.

It would be nice to hear positives mixed with a negatives cause we all know it wasn't all bad
    nor probably wasn't all good either for some people.

Just put it all together and love it for what it was.....

cause those that missed out, your fellow fans, really need that.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    P-Jam wrote:
    What time did it start and end (how long did PJ play)?
    2 hours 45 minutes
    They came on about 9:45 and stopped about 12:05.. 2 hours 20 minutes tops... they need to come on time tonight.

Not complaining... but if AV is going to cut them off @ midnight... come out on time please. :)
  • Options
    Are you people fucking kidding?

If not, please don't come back. Let the real fans have their show.

Last night was epic. Closest thing to a "fan club only show" I've experienced in 20 years of seeing them live.
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    Disappointed!? I sat at home a listened to a shitty quality webcast and impressed. What would have made you not disappointed? Just curious. I would have loved to have been there.

ditto.

and can't wait to do it again tonight!
  • Options
    I'm shocked people are compaining about last night's show. To me, it felt so special. Playing so many deep cuts and fan favorites ... the TOTD reunion ... a new Mother Love Bone cover ... amazing.

Also, the show was 2:28 long ... i timed it ... not that it matters
  • Options
    +1 & well put, all of this moaning just baffles me, really baffles me, id have given my right arm to be at this weekend, id have to question the real passion in the ''bitching fans'' hearts towards the band

I think that in the end it is all about expectations...

It seems to me that the band can't win. A few days ago this board was flooded with posts where fans asked the band *not* to play staple songs and make it "a show for the fans". When they load their setlist with rarities, it is not "flowing" and "dissapointing"...

It is our fault that we make each other crazy for weeks before the festival starts; it is our fault that we set these ridicicious (and contradicting) expectations, that no band (including PJ) can live up to... No matter what they do, they will dissapoint someone... If they had played Even Flow or Alive, it would have been "too standard".

I learned a long time ago; that when it comes to PJ, never know what to expect and takes what is given to you... The unexpected is IMO their greatest appeal.

Like someone stated, it seems to me that the (main) theme of this show was the history of the band.

It def. wasn't a staple show... Help Help, Who You Are? Wow! It is like they took the list that was floating around here a week ago...

Goddammit, I love this post.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Pearl Jam hit the stage just before 10pm.....The show ended at around 12:10am....It was just about a 2hr show...

Jeremy

Nah. They played for more than 2 1/2 hours. I sent texts at both the start and stop times, so I've got a record.
  • Options
    unfortunately , i was not at AV last night.

My two cents worth,.... the Temple reunion makes this show epic,....a major treat for PJ fans. That being said I am surprised by much of the set, for a 20th anniv show. Others may express this as disappointment. This was a PJ purist show. I think many fans were expecting to be brought back to the Ten - VS era,... Alive, Black, Even Flow, Animal, Daughter, Leash etc were not played,.... many must have been surprised by this. Thus the feeling of a show that ended abruptly.
    PJ will no doubt change it up tonite. Enjoy.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,758
    edited September 2011
    Discopij wrote:
    I'm shocked people are compaining about last night's show. To me, it felt so special. Playing so many deep cuts and fan favorites ... the TOTD reunion ... a new Mother Love Bone cover ... amazing.

Also, the show was 2:28 long ... i timed it ... not that it matters

People don't seem to get the history. Watching Jeff and Stone perform a Mother Love Bone song, probably that particular song for the first time since Andy Wood died, just gave me chills.

It took me back 20 years, put me in their shoes, back before they were in the biggest band in the world, just struggling to make it, wondering if Andy's death meant the end of their musical careers. Playing the Temple of the Dog songs -- a record that was made in tribute to Andy, without whose tragedy Pearl Jam would not exist -- made the evening even more poignant.

The whole thing seemed communal, and cathartic, and historic if you really took the time to stop and thinking about it, instead of checking your watch and impatiently wondering when they were going to start playing Pearl Jam songs again.

Not to mention, Mike McCready just made all these songs his personal bitch.

Going into the weekend, I was secretly and selfishly hoping for little to no guests. After leaving the show last night (at 3 fucking a.m.), I realized PJ20 couldn't have been PJ20 without Cornell and Temple of the Dog. To watch that group of friends up there, memorializing the man that made the last 20 years possible, it just made me feel all warm inside. I smiled the entire time. It was awesome.

If you weren't there, I feel sorry for you.
    If you were there, and can't appreciate or understand what you just witnessed, I feel sorry for you, too.
    Post edited by slightofjeff on
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,178
    The only thing that sucked was the way my feet felt after the show

Bought $14 target sneakers cause of the mud, and coupled with the incline of the lawn..... My feet/legs have seen better days

I was surprised that it didn't go longer..... But I was cool with that. Can't understand all the People who didn't appreciate Cornell and that awesome voice. He was in top form
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    i'm confused

pearl jam (consisting of eddie vedder, stone gossard, jeff ament, mike mccready & matt cameron) did perform last night, yes?

were they out of tune?
    were they fall over drunk?
    did they play an entire show of milli vanilli covers?
    did boom spend an hour performing a seance looking for d.b. cooper?*

if none of these things happened then i'm led to believe that if you complained about being at a pearl jam show, you must have your head inserted firmly up your ass

* - i will say i'd love to be a part of this
  • Options
    CROJAM95 wrote:

Good lord, you're not joking. I finally went to move after Kick Out the Jams, and it's like my feet didn't know how to work anymore.

Can't understand all the People who didn't appreciate Cornell and that awesome voice. He was in top form

It really is something to behold. Friend and I were talking on the way out, Cornell makes those sounds come out of his mouth, and it just seems effortless ... as easy as breathing. It's like he's not even trying. Ungodly pipes.
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    i'm confused

pearl jam (consisting of eddie vedder, stone gossard, jeff ament, mike mccready & matt cameron) did perform last night, yes?

were they out of tune?

if none of these things happened then i'm led to believe that if you complained about being at a pearl jam show, you must have your head inserted firmly up your ass

If you weren't (I assume) a guy named Norm, I'd kiss you square on the mouth.
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    norm wrote:
    i'm confused

were they out of tune?

If you weren't (I assume) a guy named Norm, I'd kiss you square on the mouth.

:lol:

well my dog is named norm but everything else applies ;)

sounds like you and most everyone else had a blast...so wish i could have been there :( :mrgreen:
  • Options
    You wont hear any complaints from me about the setlist!
    The only thing I can complain about is the traffic getting out....and the amount of sloppy ass drunk people there! I have never seen so many falling down drunk people at a concert in my life!
  • Options
    just checked out "say hello to heaven" on youtube, Unbelievable !!!!!!!

all you complainers,...give me a fuckin break !!!!
  • Options
    bjmjplbjmjpl Posts: 134
    CROJAM95 wrote:

Good lord, you're not joking. I finally went to move after Kick Out the Jams, and it's like my feet didn't know how to work anymore.

Can't understand all the People who didn't appreciate Cornell and that awesome voice. He was in top form

It really is something to behold. Friend and I were talking on the way out, Cornell makes those sounds come out of his mouth, and it just seems effortless ... as easy as breathing. It's like he's not even trying. Ungodly pipes.

i do feel that folks should be a able to complain and vent and celebrate and share - this isnt a groupthink forum....hopefully....

show shounds great!

quick ? - i have seen a few soundgarden shows on the Palladia HD and i have to say that i thought Chris ruined those shows - he sounded terrible, out of shape, couldnt breath....i havent heard a lot of CC live so maybe he is just always like that - but i seem to rem a much more powerful performance years ago....

anybody shed some light on this - was he in top form bec it was 4 shows and a showcase or am i lost and he is as great as ever..?
  • Options
    I thought it was a great show! The Temple reunion was amazing. Hope my voice is in tact enough to sing a long tonight!
    1991-11-30 St. Paul, MN 1992-08-28 St. Paul, MN 1998-06-30 Minneapolis, MN 2000-10-08 East Troy, WI 2003-06-16 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-26 St. Paul, MN 2006-06-27 St. Paul, MN 2006-07-07 San Diego, CA 2007-08-05 Chicago, IL 2008-06-24 New York, NY 2009-08-23 Chicago, IL 2009-08-24 Chicago, IL 2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis, MN 2011-09-03 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2011-09-04 PJ20 East Troy, WI 2013-07-19 Wrigley Chicago, IL 2014-10-19 St. Paul, MN
  • Options
    hedavehedave Posts: 201
    For all the yahoos with some sort of complaint to file with God and his angels, you have failed to see what the first show was. Last night was Ed celebrating his love of music. Tonight will be his celebration of our passion for his. You can see it coming. So, for all you haters douching up the place with your twentieth $13 dollar beer, stop playing bottle Jenga at your table and pay attention. Jesus! And stuff the Camels back in your pocket too.  It was like a goddamn Asian study group on the lawn. You hayseeds left your garbage as well. It was ridiculous. How appalling is that. You call yourselves fans when you behave worse than the twitchy brat lost in a Chucky Cheese ballhouse, crashing through the fences, acting like undisciplined dickweeds. Shut the fuck up. It was rainy as hell. My feet cramped up standing at an angle. But to celebrate twenty years of a band that admires my affinity and devotion is something to be cherished. Does the lawn suck? Sure. Did some idiot skinsack hopped up on bad pot fall over on me, not sure where he even was? Hell yes he did. But the spirit of a band humbled by my presence was still cogent. I am so grateful. Tonight, I'll be up close. If many of you on the lawn opt to drink like a Scottish lord, smoke more than a Navaho chieftain and waste the experience on grab-assing around all night, I feel bad for you. 
    He who forgets will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    i saw those same Soundgarden shows on Palladia and was VERY disappointed in his voice....however I was pleasantly surprised last night how good Chris sounded
  • Options
    bjmjplbjmjpl Posts: 134
    i saw those same Soundgarden shows on Palladia and was VERY disappointed in his voice....however I was pleasantly surprised last night how good Chris sounded

ok yeah....thx for the confirm....thats great about last night :)