Options

A GAME OF THRONES - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,687
    Thanks. I didn't read the spoiler in white because I have only read the first book.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    Happy Friday! Sunday is around the corner! I can't even remember what's next but, I can't wait! :D
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    I am going to put it in spoiler white as the title change could have to do with changes made in the story:

It was going to be called "A Time for Wolves" So maybe it was the begining of the Starks kicking ass again... but then it changed to just Winds of Winter which is not so pro stark. All is speculation at this point until we can get our hands on ADWD and see what happens and what the set up is for book 6

SPOIL REGARDING THE TITLES:
    Actually The Winds of Winter has always been the name of the second last book, the name of the last book was supposed to be A Time for Wolves but was changed to A Dream of Spring.

Here is the Quote:
    "Oh, and I've also come up with a new title for the seventh (and final, I hope, I hope, I hope) volume of the series -- A DREAM OF SPRING. I like the sound of that a lot better than A TIME FOR WOLVES, which has been my working title for book seven up to now, and I also think it gives a better sense of the book that I want to write. So -- A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, then THE WINDS OF WINTER, then A DREAM OF SPRING. Shouldn't take me long (hah)."
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    What I'm lost on, and this isn't in white because it's not a spoiler but, why in the world did it take so long to get a Dance with Dragons if he's already got material for two books that would follow that even?

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

• Options
    I'm gonna have to get through these books soon so I can read this thread again! All this stuff in white is so tempting, but I know I will regret it if I look at it!

The problem is I am reading a fantasy novel right now ("The Wise Man's Fear") and I usually have to switch to a completely different genre or even from fiction to nonfiction once I finish a book. By the way, for anyone interested, "The Wise Man's Fear" is really good. It's the second book of a proposed trilogy and I think it is much better than the first one, "The Name of the Wind", a book I really enjoyed.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    rrivers wrote:
    I'm gonna have to get through these books soon so I can read this thread again! All this stuff in white is so tempting, but I know I will regret it if I look at it!

The problem is I am reading a fantasy novel right now ("The Wise Man's Fear") and I usually have to switch to a completely different genre or even from fiction to nonfiction once I finish a book. By the way, for anyone interested, "The Wise Man's Fear" is really good. It's the second book of a proposed trilogy and I think it is much better than the first one, "The Name of the Wind", a book I really enjoyed.
    I have heard that those are good but i have nto ready them.

Equally Worthless-
    You are totally right! I got that confused thank you for correcting me!

Lizardjam. My understanding is part of the problem was see below in spoier for those who have not read all the books:
    He called it the Meraneese(sp??) Knot because he could not figure out how to get Dany and everyone who was going to be with her back to Westoros at the same time. Evidently this was one of the big hold ups. He knows how he wants the story to end but not how to get it there so it took him A LOT of time to work it out a way he felt comfortable with. I'm sure there were other reasons but his is one he seems to lean on a lot.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Equally Worthless-

Lizardjam. My understanding is part of the problem was see below in spoier for those who have not read all the books:
    He called it the Meraneese(sp??) Knot because he could not figure out how to get Dany and everyone who was going to be with her back to Westoros at the same time. Evidently this was one of the big hold ups. He knows how he wants the story to end but not how to get it there so it took him A LOT of time to work it out a way he felt comfortable with. I'm sure there were other reasons but his is one he seems to lean on a lot.

I haven't read many quotes of his. I'll have to check his site more often! Thanks for that.

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    intodeep wrote:
    rrivers wrote:

Equally Worthless-

When I met him, he said the book he wrote was too long, so he ended up breaking it up. But instead of breaking it up in order as it was written, he ended up just following different characters in the two different books.

So he had a bunch of chronological problems to sort out.

So I can't recall exactly how he was going to do it, but the two books will follow the same time line, and that was a nightmare for him to write.
  • Options
    Yeah the publishers were hounding him to get it out, but because of the infamous Merenese Knot, it was taking much longer then he anticipated and he wasn't really willing to rush it to cater to the publishers. He wants a quality product out there, no matter how long it takes. So what happened was instead of releasing A Feast of Crows Part 1 and Part 2 separately, he divided them into area. So that is why A Feast of Crows only has the southerners in it, and the other areas will be A Dance with Dragons, moving everything back one book and causing chronological issues, such as said "knot".
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    I bought the 3rd and 4th book today. I'm gonna do my best to knock them out so I can read the fifth one (and the spoilers on this thread!) by July 12. It will be a challenge to say the least since I have 400 pages left in the book I'm reading and still have book 2 to read.
  • Options
    syrio was awesome.

My roomate who has not read the books looked at me and was like that little girl is gonna kick some ass.

:lol: i was like maybe.... :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Mayor Carcetti is such a weasel :lol:
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    Thought episode 4 was solid. Hard to think we are almost half way through. I should be starting the first book by this weekend to catch up, all the spoilers in the thread are hard not to read.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    EquallyWorthlessEquallyWorthless Posts: 3,993
    Syrio was great, the whole water dance scene was great.

The only down spot for me so far is Lena Heady, I don't think she is like the Cersei I imagined. We will see, maybe as the season goes on I will see here fit more comfortably in the role.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Thought episode 4 was solid. Hard to think we are almost half way through. I should be starting the first book by this weekend to catch up, all the spoilers in the thread are hard not to read.

Have there been 4 episodes?

I thought there was only three.... but I could be mistaken.
  • Options
    Wilds wrote:

Have there been 4 episodes?

I thought there was only three.... but I could be mistaken.

Your right, I think it was 3
  • Options
    Syrio was great, the whole water dance scene was great.

The only down spot for me so far is Lena Heady, I don't think she is like the Cersei I imagined. We will see, maybe as the season goes on I will see here fit more comfortably in the role.

I was disappointed with Lena at first but after this last episode I think she will do well. I can't wait to see more.

I really like the little girl playing Arya. She is doing a splendid job. Syrio is nothing like I imagined but it was a great scene and a good end to the episode.

I was thinking the whole way through, where's Dany? I was happy we finally got to see her and the whole act that followed. I am liking that actress and I think she fits perfectly.

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    seems to be paced similarly to boardwalk so far... lots of character building... just setting up all this future power struggle and backstabbing

it always leaves me wanting more! makes me wish i had waited til the end of the season to watch it all at once

START FIGHTING ALREADY :x
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Digital TwilightDigital Twilight Posts: 5,642
    seems to be paced similarly to boardwalk so far... lots of character building... just setting up all this future power struggle and backstabbing

it always leaves me wanting more! makes me wish i had waited til the end of the season to watch it all at once

I've not watched any yet. I'm gonna save a few up as I know once I start watching I will want to keep on watching. Hate having to wait a week to find out what happens next.
  • Options

I've not watched any yet. I'm gonna save a few up as I know once I start watching I will want to keep on watching. Hate having to wait a week to find out what happens next.

As nice as that sounds, there's no way I could even wait. I was thinking about doing it too. Too impatient to see it all here.

• Options
    Finally watched the newest episode last night and really liked it. I love all the talk about the winter coming. I only have 200 pages left in the book I am reading and then I am going to try to plow through the books.
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    Finally watched the newest episode last night and really liked it. I love all the talk about the winter coming. I only have 200 pages left in the book I am reading and then I am going to try to plow through the books.

I know they're trying really hard but it feels so much more ominous in the books, Winter is Coming. In the series it seems important but, it doesn't feel so important. As the episodes progress they are emphasizing it more to help that I think.

• Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I like the HBO series, but I'm missing the direwolves. Shaggydog, Ghost and Grey Wind haven't made an appearance (besides the very first scene where they were picked up as pups), and Summer hasn't even been named yet. Though I did think the scenes with Lady and Nymeria were handled well. I was just wondering where they were, since there are a couple plot lines coming up that heavily involve the wolves (I think this is too vague to be a spoiler).
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    Lukin66 wrote:
    I like the HBO series, but I'm missing the direwolves. Shaggydog, Ghost and Grey Wind haven't made an appearance (besides the very first scene where they were picked up as pups), and Summer hasn't even been named yet. Though I did think the scenes with Lady and Nymeria were handled well. I was just wondering where they were, since there are a couple plot lines coming up that heavily involve the wolves (I think this is too vague to be a spoiler).

I am just starting the first book, but based on the full grown one in the first episode, I was wondeing how they are going to do the wolves as they grow. CGI maybe?
  • Options
    Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    I was wondering that as well. Maybe they'll go CGI, or maybe they'll use clever filming angles. Or they could just use really big dogs :lol:
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
  • Options
    P23JP23J Posts: 103
    Digging the show so far. I didn't even realize there were books? How many are there?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    P23J wrote:
    Digging the show so far. I didn't even realize there were books? How many are there?
    Well......
    Four books are out now:
    Game of Thrones
    Clash of Kings
    Storm of Swords
    Feast for Crows

A Dance With Dragons comes out July 12 ( YES :) )

And two more books planned
    The series is fantastic and very addictive.
    Post edited by intodeep on
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    intodeep wrote:
    P23J wrote:
    Well......
    Four books are out now:
    Game of Thrones
    Clash of Kings
    Sword of Storms
    Feast for Crows

A Dance With Dragons comes out July 12 ( YES :) )

And two more books planned
    The series is fantastic and very addictive.

Very addictive! i was so bummed when I read the first few and found out there were only 4 and the last one hadn't been released on schedule for at least a year or so. I had given up on it until I heard about this series! I love it!

• Options
    Started "A Clash of Kings" today!
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,250
    So we know that the second season is a "go".
    I'm just curious as to how many episodes are in this season, and is this season going to encompass the entire first book? I never read the books...

Also, with the immediate success of the show, could it be assumed that all 4 books will eventually get translated to the show? To me, I would think they'd have to. It's not like the ratings will drop dependent on poor writing, etc. if all 4 books are just a series of one long story.
    Also, does anyone know how much of the book(s) they have filmed?

Also, could we not put spoilers in white text? Believe it or not, you can still see the text without dragging over it with the mouse. If you guys want to talk about the books, spoilers, etc., could someone just make a separate thread?