10.65 BILLION..

Comments

• Black73Black73 Posts: 1,018
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Sorry, I will never agree that a faceless, soulless entity like a corporation is more deserving than real, breathing, flesh and blood people who are just trying to get by.
    Neither will I...the middle class is looking like a thing of the past.

On the flip side of the coin, why are people opposed to the law of supply and demand? If gas prices climb to $5, $10, $20, hell $100 a gallon, is that the point where we as consumers will finally say enough is enough? Will we then get serious about alternative sources for fossil fuels? Will we finally stop buying SUVs and park our gas-guzzlers?

I know my family and I don't steak very often, b/c it's too expensive for us. Gas prices are forcing us to re-evaluate our summer plans, as well as our first formal family vacation. Am I pissed? Yup. What can I do about it? Change my consumption behaviors. Is it making a difference? Not to big meat or oil corporations, but it is impacting our household bottom line...more money for PJ20!!!
  • Released1980Released1980 Posts: 1,790
    Good on you...was hoping you weren't stopping there each week to top off your tank. BP/Amoco is currently on my "Despised" list, after hearing Eddie's 2007 Lolla "Don't Go to BP/Amoco" punk anthem...then they officially moved to my "Don't Frequent" list after their LA Gulf fiasco.

As someone else said though, time is short before this is relo'd to AMT. Before that, I'd challenge you to think not just about the "far right wing republican," but also the "far left wing democrat" representatives elected and paid by us to be in WI to do a job...only to be MIA...and STILL getting paid! Now how's that for a tax subsidy on their profit?[/quote]

I agree with you 100%. The U.S needs to get its house in order. Far right, far left, center right, center left( Way Way in the Back) Our reps need a kick in the ass like never before. Everyone needs to let them know that we will Remember In November.
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Everyone needs to let them know that we will Remember In November.

oh yeah! Donald-Trump.jpg
    Everyone needs to let them know that we will Remember In November.

oh yeah! Donald-Trump.jpg
    That would send a message, wouldn't it? "Obama...you're fired!"
    Hey Mamasan...been asked before but not sure I saw your reply: who are the lovelies you've been using as your avatars?
    I agree with you 100%. The U.S needs to get its house in order. Far right, far left, center right, center left( Way Way in the Back) Our reps need a kick in the ass like never before. Everyone needs to let them know that we will Remember In November.
    Thanks for not being a hot-headed antagonist Released...appreciate the good, sensible debate with you. Agree...the pendulum is currently swinging to far in each direction on good old terra firma.
    Black73 wrote:
    Hey Mamasan...been asked before but not sure I saw your reply: who are the lovelies you've been using as your avatars?

;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0
    Black73 wrote:
    Thanks for not being a hot-headed antagonist Released...appreciate the good, sensible debate with you. Agree...the pendulum is currently swinging to far in each direction on good old terra firma.[/quote

never looking for a fight, just venting and discussion from likeminded individuals. A lil jibba jabba here and there never hurts. I appreciate the discussion as well Black. In the state this country and its economy are in right now really makes me so glad I am a 10club member and a Pearl Jam fan. Makes things a bit easier when a song like Comatose can be played at any given moment no matter where I am... Well maybe Greivance would be more appropriate in relation to this thread.." I pledge my greivance to the flag" :twisted:
    "It's so nice to hear that in other parts of the world, the stress- borne from envy- that one finds for themselves is the animosity they develop towards a person selling a box of records. How fortunate!" ~ Thirty Bills Unpaid

MLMF NYC
    metsfan wrote:
    Black73 wrote:
    Exxon Mobil makes 10.65 BILLION dollar PROFIT, first quarter. That's Jan./Feb./Mar... The Federal Government is providing a 4 BILLION dollar tax subsidie prior to this profit. And they dont plant ONE F*&KIN TREE! PJ20 should in no way be held in a state ran by a weak minded far right wing republican, why? to bring revenue to a state that doesnt believe in collective bargaining...IMO/ And also, are the roadies/stagehands that facilitate PJ shows belong to a union? I'm mad as hell and will continue to take it up the keister until Canada convinces me otherwise! :evil:
    So how long has it been since you've purchased gas from Exxon Mobil?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dude, just had to say.. Love that sig..hysterical. :lol:

MLMF NYC
    Black73 wrote:

;)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0
    30 seconds in, and I was one of the 200M+ "dislikes."
  • evenflowevenflow Posts: 401
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Sorry, I will never agree that a faceless, soulless entity like a corporation is more deserving than real, breathing, flesh and blood people who are just trying to get by.

Uh (raises hand) here's a face you can use when you think of ExxonMobil. If mine doesn't work for you then use my daughters. Not only do I work for them, but I am in charge of waste management division, which means that every single barrel of industrial waste that leaves the BR Refinery has my signature on it.

Besides me, about 1,500+ other people in BR and the surrounding areas make their living at this one plant (and there are 2 other Exxon plants in this one city, so that numbers probably twice as high for total employees). I'm sure that there are probably a few CEO's that make insane salaries, but at the same time, there isn't anywhere else I could have gone in Baton Rouge and make what I make straight out of college. Exxon is known for not only paying their employees (and I'm not only talking about the boardroom exec's, I mean all the way down to the begining wage employees) but they also offer one of the best retirement plans in the industry.

Okay I'm sick of typing on this iPhone, so I'll finish this later on my computer, plus I gotta crash, I've gotta be at the most evil corporation in the history of the world in the morning. ;)
    It's all about the music...

http://www.myspace.com/christianjame (Music Page)

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/19598996 (Personal Page)
    Evenflow, I am well aware of the amount of families that rely on corporations such as exxon to provide for themselves. But my point is that a 10.65 billion dollar profit margin for the first quarter of the year, coupled with a 4 billion dollar subsidie from the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT, while all the while the citizens of this country have to bite the bullet on everything. My issue is not entirely with Exxon Mobil, although I will say that there are plenty of back room deals going on everyday between your employer and our elected officials with the sole purpose of jacking up profit margins. And those profits are being made on the backs of the American people. I appreciate what you do, and your concern for your family's well being, and your opinion,but I must say it sounds alot like political propaganda/ rhetoric. Sleep tight..I'm quite sure your bosses do.

MLMF NYC
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,042
    Exxon Mobil makes 10.65 BILLION dollar PROFIT, first quarter. That's Jan./Feb./Mar... The Federal Government is providing a 4 BILLION dollar tax subsidie prior to this profit. And they dont plant ONE F*&KIN TREE! PJ20 should in no way be held in a state ran by a weak minded far right wing republican, why? to bring revenue to a state that doesnt believe in collective bargaining...IMO/ And also, are the roadies/stagehands that facilitate PJ shows belong to a union? I'm mad as hell and will continue to take it up the keister until Canada convinces me otherwise! :evil:

Amen, brother.

Don't let the meat heads in this thread bring down.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
    evenflow wrote:
    PJ_Lukin wrote:

Uh (raises hand) here's a face you can use when you think of ExxonMobil. If mine doesn't work for you then use my daughters.

it's rare here that there is a voice of reason. thank you for taking time out of your day working and being a father to your child to address this baseless witch hunt.

Problem around here is, the demographics are skewed just a bit. many on here can't see past their own problems and try to zero in on the big targets. it's an education issue we need to address in this country.

keep up the WORK and providing for your FAMILY and i wish you the best.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Dude.. Democrats are run by the same people.. The republicrats are in love with the oil industry.

I REALLY want to stop driving, and I'm definitely cutting back.. but we are fucked right now.. $4.40+ a gallon in the Chicago area..
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Unless you are extremely wealthy and don't give a shit , how could you defend a corporation making obscene profits while people can not afford to put gas in their cars? At what point is not OK to profit from the misery of others?

if you can afford a car you are probably doing better than at least 90 percent of the worlds population.

misery?
    :lol:
    Even driving a Civic, I have to pay the oil industry $8+ bucks right now just to drive 25 miles to see my girlfriend. :(
  • Aaron 23Aaron 23 Allen, TX Posts: 523
    This same basic thread came up on AMT, also...I will post a slightly modified version of what I posted there, here:

Insane how ExxonMobil had a yearly revenue (for 2010) of $383.221 billion last year and a Net Income (profit reported after taxes, etc, 2010) of $31.398 billion (which comes out to roughly an 8.2% profit) and yet a company like Apple had a disclosed revenue (2010 figures) of $65.23 and a reported profit of $14.01 billion which is roughly 21.5%, yet all I hear is how "evil" ExxonMobil is, regardless of the fact that Apple takes in over twice the amount when regarded from the perspective of percent (from which all profits should be calculated from an ROI perspective). General Electric, another example (and as a side note: the designers of the reactors in Japan that are the cause of so many issues, as well as one of the largest corporate polluters in the United States, more so than ExxonMobil in recent years), had over a 12% net profit disclosed for 2010, but no gripes there...

I understand everyone "feels" that oil is a necessity, while Apple is not...GE's necessity is a little more apparent, but why crucify a company for staying profitable? Are YOU going to go into the ground and get out the oil you need? Cut those profits, and there is no oil, because there is nobody at the top that is being paid to run a company to go into the ground and get it out, expand that capability, etc. To say it is raping us with its excess "profits" is simply untrue, and a pretty ridiculous claim that I have never understood from these people. Sure, they make a large amount of money, but when you cut it down to a percentage, those "obscene profits" simply aren't anywhere near the claims of their detractors.

If the government is giving them $4 billion, go complain to the government. They've given a ton of companies money, yet ExxonMobil is somehow targeted as the one that doesn't "deserve" it.

If only these people used their same ridiculous math with the rich and taxes...
    How did I once pay .79 cents a gallon in 1998?
    rmon257l.jpg
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    Unless you are extremely wealthy and don't give a shit , how could you defend a corporation making obscene profits while people can not afford to put gas in their cars? At what point is not OK to profit from the misery of others?

if you can afford a car you are probably doing better than at least 90 percent of the worlds population.

misery?
    :lol:

Holy crap, I agree with you.
    i am totally down with hugging it out

i know i kinda look fat in my pic though.
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    This topic probably shouldn't be on the Porch, but since it is, I'd like to put in my two cents.

I think the fact of the matter is that gas is over $4 per gallon, which is outrageous. Even if the oil companies themselves don't set the price themselves, they reap the benefits. In addition to the profits that they earn, the federal government gives them billions of dollars in subsidies. In return, that money gets given to politicians to pay for their campaign. Even though both sides take oil money, it is heavily skewed towards Republicans. When a company is setting record profits, they do not need subsidies from the federal government. Apple doesn't get subsidies from the federal government, as far as I know. G.E. is also guilty of skipping out on paying taxes while continuing to ship jobs overseas, infact, receiving unnecessary tax credits. It makes no sense than the conservatives here defend oil companies rather than get pissed about the fact that it is $4 fucking dollars per gallon, and rising. It only creates a drag on our overall economy, and it costs just as much for a conservative to buy gas as a liberal. It's not attacking one company, its showing an example of how messed up our priorities are.

Fortunately, there are no Exxon Mobils here in Washington state, so its easy to avoid them. Regardless, all gas companies are the same, reaping huge profits. I hope to switch to electric in a few years when it becomes more accessible. Until then, I'm happy with my fuel-sipping Toyota Corolla.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    Seems to me we need a person that really is for the people of the US in office. Some one who will sweep out the old and clean the place up a bit. Its a shame that will NEVER happen. Green Disease. :cry:
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    dwhite76 wrote:
    Seems to me we need a person that really is for the people of the US in office. Some one who will sweep out the old and clean the place up a bit. Its a shame that will NEVER happen. Green Disease. :cry:
    +1. Although Bernie Sanders gives me some hope.
    Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
    Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
    Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
    Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
  • fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    i'm watching dawson's creek right now.
  • timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    Exxon make more than the others as they are more efficient. All oil co's have the same basic business (integrateds anyway)

and electric cars are not zero emission unless the electricity for the charge comes from nukes or alternative.
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,042
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,663
    If petrol got to 4.40 $ a gallon in the Uk there would he street parties.

I laughed this week when I saw Obama getting all bent out of shape at the price of gas in the states..... It's piss cheap....
    edited April 2011
    Aaron 23 wrote:
    General Electric, another example (and as a side note: the designers of the reactors in Japan that are the cause of so many issues, as well as one of the largest corporate polluters in the United States, more so than ExxonMobil in recent years), had over a 12% net profit disclosed for 2010, but no gripes there...

I get your point Aaron...if ExxonMobil is so "evil," why aren't other companies like Apple and GE. That makes sense. However, being a GE'er I gotta ask: where'd you get your information from? Guessing you think GE has raised their hands in Japan, huh? Any figures on what they've donated, what work they're doing with their customer at the reactor site? One of the largest corporate polluters in the United States? I guess Ecomanigation isn't hitting on its deliverables. Better take down all our wind turbines and not be part of the solution, and continue relying on non-renewable energy resources. Do you have anything tangible to prove your assertion, or are you generalizing? (Sorry for the edits...early-morning grammatical issues with my their/they're usage!)

I know the national pastime is griping about our employers (it replaced baseball after the 1994 strike), but your generalization of "big corporation" is just that...generalization. I remember the BP CEO saying something like "...I just want my life to return to normal..." shortly after the LA Gulf incident. There's one of your differences on why no one is crying foul with "evil" companies like GE who posted 12% net profits...not to mention advances in medicine that GE is offering people in the most remote areas of the world. Bet you didn't know that you and I are two of the "evil" people that make up the 20% of the population currently using 80% of the world's medical technology, did you? GE is responsibly facing into these figures to make it easier for people without modes of transportation, income, safe drinking water, adequate housing, etc to access medical technology, to have access to safe drinking water, creating jobs globally to improve their standards of living.

I'm open for an educated debate, but I challenge you to bring some facts to the argument and not just feelings that may well be formed by what the media is telling you.
    Post edited by Black73 on
    rmon257l.jpg
    :lol: This!