How is Tone.....truthfully?

AiCPearlJamWeenAiCPearlJamWeen Posts: 785
edited October 2008 in The Porch
How is it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    JP2026766JP2026766 Posts: 1,125
    Personally, I found it a bit underwhelming. Then again, I had high expectations, but it's still a decent record.

Mansfield II '08

EV Solo Shows:

NYC I
    NJPAC

I. LOVE. YIELD.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,178
    first song, doesn't quite get you into it. about the 3rd track and beyond is really where it picks up. just my 2 pennies.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    sounds like demos and just messing around to me, not a complete album imo
  • Options
    MohabMohab Posts: 310
    I found it took several listens/days to sink in, but the more I hear it the more I thank goodness that it exists. The last song alone is worth owning it, but actually every song works. I hope he puts out another few, no idea why it takes so long to release music when in the position he is in.

It's a lot more uptempo than I thought it would be, a lot of harder songs but that actually works out. Definately some strong but strange moments, not at all like Three Fish, but sometimes you can almost imagine a Vedder vocal in there. One song has a part quite similar to severed hand, others make you wish Pearl Jam would do them, but becasue its all Jeff playing and singing it has a very personal feel somehow.

So far the only online reviews I have read have been very positive, honesty is a word that has been used and I think it fits. A lot of energy. Not a lot of ambient jam type stuff which I think is a shame but the next one should roam around a little more in that direction if you ask me. Three Fish has a lot of bass grooves that turn into very interesting listening (see strangers in my head or elusive ones) but here its much more songwriting to the fore. Some kick as guest appearances from the other band members would be great on any further release, but in all, an awesome disc to have if you are a fan of Pearl Jam and his work in general.
  • Options
    Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
    I thought it was really good. The punk songs I think are where he is definitely at his best, but after quite a few listens the entire album really started to work. I'd say its well worth it.
  • Options
    I loved it and I had high expectations
    "I can't hear you, you're trailing off and did I catch a niner in there? Were you calling from a walkie-talkie?"

"No, it was cordless."
  • Options
    CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    I have to honest.....I dont think its very good.....Jeff is not singer material. However music is subjective....so others may absolutly love it.

I however admire his hard work and deterimination to do it. I will give it a few more spins to allow it to grow on me.......I would hope others would do that if I was Jeff, so I will.
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • Options
    Mad MohabMad Mohab Posts: 310
    Multiple listens required. A-
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,272
    I like it
  • Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    sounds like demos and just messing around to me, not a complete album imo

That's kind of how it sounded to me too. I thought the production was just pretty weak even if the music was not bad.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    How is it?

it's a borefest

1 star out of 5
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • Options
    robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    not good
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    don't expect it to be like a PJ album. I think that because of such expectations, many have been dissapointed.
    I expected nothing but a personal album, made by a bass player. not a singer.
    The album is not perfect but I like it. I listened to it about 10 times now (received it this week) and it definitely grew on me. Some tracks are better than others. I think it's really a personal album. And listening to it, I can't help myself thinking it should be hard for a musician, not used to sing, to make such an album and "get naked" that way.
    If I had to judge the album as an album released by pearl jam or another band, I'd only give it 2 stars out of 5. But as a personal album made by a musician, I give it 4/5.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I would say about 3 songs were great. The rest were sub-par. I mean, jeff wrote my favorite PJ song (nothingman) so I was expecting better quality. It's better than I could do so I give him credit cause it's all him on this album.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    CardinalCardinal Posts: 479
    I would say about 3 songs were great. The rest were sub-par. I mean, jeff wrote my favorite PJ song (nothingman) so I was expecting better quality. It's better than I could do so I give him credit cause it's all him on this album.
    He may have wrote Nothingman...but he certainly didnt sing it.....thankfully.
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Toronto Aug 9, 2008
    Eddie Vedder Solo Tour Albany NY June 9, 2009
    Pearl Jam Toronto Aug 21, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 23, 2009
    Pearl Jam Chicago Aug 24, 2009
    Pearl Jam Buffalo May 10, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG1 May 20, 2010
    Pearl Jam New York MSG2 May 21, 2010
    Go Cards Go!
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,568
    Jeff may have written the music to nothingman but imo its the vocal arrangement that is making the song what it is. I believe it is eddie who came up with that and not Jeff.

Therefore I find Nothingman to be Eddie's song. Same goes with Release and Indifference. Those songs are not much without Eddie's contribution.
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    Cardinal wrote:
    He may have wrote Nothingman...but he certainly didnt sing it.....thankfully.

Agreed, he's not the best singer. He can stick to backing vocals with Stone for PJ.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    stylo17stylo17 Posts: 1,001
    had zero expectations and I really like it. though Jeff doesn't sing it, I really like "Doubting Thomasina" for some reason.
    6/11/08 WPB

♬♪♫ and I will not, grow tired of crayon stars and fire

♬♪♫ cause a soldier's death is so much better than defeat just hanging around
  • Options
    I dig it. Especially song 6. Helluva track. Look, I didn't go into this-or Bayleaf, or Attention Dimension, or any Brad/Three Fish/Wellwater etc album--expecting Pearl Jam whatsoever. Coming from Jeff, who's written some of my favorite PJ songs, I was expecting something a little more experimental, a little more free-flowing. Kind of like his skateboarding segue in Immagine...and that's what it sounds like to me. Quirky but driving, introspective lyrics and more than capable singing. And I LOVE the artwork, not that it especially matters. Someone else mentioned the honesty of the album; I agree. In fact, in that respect Tone is certainly akin to Bayleaf. It's interesting, compelling music that only occasionally reminds me of Jeff's other band(s). And I'm more than okay with that. Looking forward to him clearing out the vault even further...
  • Options
    nepalnepal Posts: 143
    loving it! The songs are brilliant, and I think Jeff singing is good. The first time I listened it, I knew there was that "something" in it that made me want to listen to it again, and it just keeps getting better after every listen. Call me crazy, but personally I like it more than the latest PJ album.
    ...the dreams ain't broken down here now,
    they're walking with a limp
  • Options
    it's not good at all. i have given it multiple listens. it is just bad.

now some of the new solo stone stuff is great. even if some of it is covers, it is still beter than tone.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    Personally, I found it a bit underwhelming. Then again, I had high expectations, but it's still a decent record.

i would have to agree with you there...i've listened to it a number of times now, hoping it would catch fire with me...underwhelming is a good word to describe it. Sorry.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    It took me about 5 spins until I started to enjoy it. Now, I really like it. It grows on you.
    6/14/08 - Bonnaroo
    6/19/08 - Camden 1
    6/24/08 - MSG 1
    8/07/08 - Newark, EV Solo
    6/11/09 - Upper Darby, EV Solo
    10/28/09 - Spectrum 2
    10/30/09 - Spectrum 3
    10/31/09 - Spectrum 4
  • Options
    There are a few solid tracks on album. The rest really isn't that good.
    Nathan
  • Options
    allstar340allstar340 NYC Posts: 804
    I'd Give it a B after a bunch of listens
    08 -MSG I.eV Newark.Stone in BK. 09 -Spectrum II,III,IV. 10- Prudential Center.MSG I,II. Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 11- eV NY I, II. Bridge School Benefit Night II (eV solo). 12- Made in America Festival. 13- Oakland. 14- Bridge School Benefit Nights I, II. 17- eV Ohana. 18- Seattle I, II. 21- SHN. 22- ev & Earthlings Beacon, MSG, Camden. 23- eV & Earthlings Ohana. 24 - MSG I, II
  • Options
    PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    I like it. It has a few tracks that could have made PJ records. Jeff has a signature style and it comes through on this record.

Imagine the courage it takes to put your personal, solo work out there for everyone to critic. It can't be easy.
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • Options
    gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    honestly, its really not that good. if i wasnt a completest, i wouldnt have anything to do with it. example, i downloaded it via torrent before it showed up but didnt regret ordering because it sucks :)
    This post is © by gfraser
  • Options
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    I like it. It has a few tracks that could have made PJ records. Jeff has a signature style and it comes through on this record.

Imagine the courage it takes to put your personal, solo work out there for everyone to critic. It can't be easy.

I agree with you on every thing you said. This was pretty much just one man in a studio making some songs, it wasn't meant to be on the Billboard 100 charts. It is his first solo record and he's got another one coming in the future so it may even be better like I expect Stone's second to be better. I can tell you this, the bass player for my favorite band put out a solo record for a ten dollar bill so off course I'm gonna buy it. I enjoy different music than the everyday shit on the radio about screwing and what not. This is a very good little solo effort. Tracks 4 and 7 are really sweet.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,915
    I love it. I agree it sounds more like a demo but I really don't care since I love demos as long as the music is good :).
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    If you sift through the answers here, I think you will see quite a bit of people trying to qualify the terms for why it might be good or searching for various excuses for why certain aspects suck. Therein, in my opinion, lies your answer.

I listened to it a few times. And those will be the last times I do. :( It's pretty bad and I think there was really only one song that I found very tolerable. Note the word "tolerable"...