Options

Anyone else here NEVER reach for "Avocado"?

Comments

• Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527
    i just recently put it into the car stereo - granted i don't drive much but still ... great album ...
  • Options
    I have 60 some PJ Cd's and I never reach for that one. It just does not do it for me sad to say. I like hearing the songs on a bootleg but other then that....not really.

as usual you and i see things differently...

i love avocado... studio... live... however

in fact... if i want avo songs i'm more likely to reach for studio more so than with any other studio... except maybe No Code

mostly i listen to boots...or avo or no code. :)
  • Options
    I absolutely love the album. It is what got me into PJ to be honest. Easily my top 3. It has such a positive energetic vibe to it, along with the tour that supported it. It makes me happy just thinking about that album.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    i've not pulled out one of their albums in general for quite a while. i really only have the studio albums and a couple live ones. not feeling it lately. i've been obsessed with the verve and greg dulli.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    VOLITION wrote:
    part of the problem is all those damn bootlegs ,they tend to sound way more raw and aggressive live then on the album.
    I agree with the other guy who said the first six songs kick ass after that the wheels fall and thst's where i loose interest. I'm not sure why either b/c i think "ComeBack and "Inside Job" are awesome. Maybe they should of stayed with the progression of the first half of the record instead of pulling back and putting me to sleep.
    I bet that was Ed's idea.

I have to agree, I enjoy the boots WAY more, but I just got to listening to the studio albums and I have to admit, they're growing on me. I never gave Binaural a chance but I listened to it the other day, and maybe it was the mood i was in, but I liked it. Same with Riot Act. Avocado isn't their best, but I think it's worth a listen now and again.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    Actually, I like this album alot, granted it's not Yeild, but if they cranked out the same music all the time, it would be boring, honestly...
    I think Parachutes is beautiful, I mean they actually sound...happy, hopeful, content; and that song in particular shows personal growth (my opinion).
  • Options
    I was just listening to clips off Avocado. I love it. Marker in the Sand, Gone Comatose, World Wide Suicide, Severed hand. Is it me or does Severed hand sound a little like Porch when it picks up the beat. Nevertheless, great album.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    I really like the 'Avocado' album. Still one of my top choices.

But yes, bootlegs rule my long car rides.
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    Yeah, definitely their worst to date. The replay value is almost non existent.
    I'd give that title to Riot Act. I think I remember the titles to two or three songs, remember two actual songs, and that's it.

And it's funny this thread got posted now, because in the past two or three days I've really started to like this album. Life Wasted, WWS, Comatose (Which reminds me a bit of Vitalogy), Inside Job, Big Wave. My only problem with it is that Eddie sounds a little weak on parts, like he's struggling a bit.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    I'm lucky because I have loved ever album Pearl Jam has made. It's fun when you love the music your favorite band makes.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    Took me two years to like this Avocado, and now it's ranked up there as a masterpiece.

I missed out on the 2006 tour so I never appreciate how amazing these songs were. I think the 2008 tour pretty much converted me to love this album.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    I listen to Binaural the most, but love the self titled record the same. I listened to it so much when it came out, at least 20 times in a row non-stop that first week. It's great don't knock it.
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    lca1630 wrote:
    I listen to Binaural the most, but love the self titled record the same. I listened to it so much when it came out, at least 20 times in a row non-stop that first week. It's great don't knock it.
    Ah...I'm listening to Binaural right now. Another great PJ album.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    I know Ill catch shit, but I feel that way about No Code. I love In my tree and who you are, followed by Hail Hail and present tense, but the rest of the album is mediocre...avocado has some gems on it (life wasted, comatose, come back, unemployable and severed hand, IMO), the only song I skip is WWS and Inside Job (sorry Mike>...)
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options
    I love this album....
    Come back...... Gone.... but to each their own.....
  • Options
    Lee MLee M Posts: 142
    The only reason I don't listen to it much is that I prefer hearing the live versions. I love the album, I just have fun listening to the bootlegs.
  • Options
    I've tried and tried to enjoy the album but I can't. I gave up on it. Its my least favorite by a long shot.
  • Options
    I'd say Life Wasted, Comatose, Severed Hand, Marker, Inside Job, AR and Parachutes are up with their best stuff. Big Wave would have been one of their best b-sides and gone could have been a decent christmas single. I'd like to see many more albums from them to say the least, maybe a few more songs per c.d or accompanying b-sides also, it hurts to think what gets left behind the way they cut records.
  • Options
    mohomoho Posts: 540
    Awful album, the recording quality is awful and there is a distinct lack of depth. You just cant listen to it and notice a guitar part or vocal harmony or extra percussion part that you have never heard before like you can with ALLL the other albums. It's just a throwaway album, there seems to be no imagination that would come with a good producer.

The songs are ok live, as they are not bad songs but there is no real 'album' feel of it like there is with the other records, it's just bland and uninspiring to listen to form start to finish.
    JUST PLAY THE F***ING NOTE!!!
  • Options
    JustOut wrote:
    I'd say Life Wasted, Comatose, Severed Hand, Marker, Inside Job, AR and Parachutes are up with their best stuff. Big Wave would have been one of their best b-sides and gone could have been a decent christmas single. I'd like to see many more albums from them to say the least, maybe a few more songs per c.d or accompanying b-sides also, it hurts to think what gets left behind the way they cut records.

Actually, Gone was a Christmas single in 2005. B-side to Little Sister, Eddie's collaboration with robert Plant for a Hurricane Katrina Benefit.

• Options
    It's probably the only album of their's I've reached for in the past few years..
  • Options
    I love the album...it punches you in the face right off the bat. I agree it takes a bit of a dip (tempo wise) after that...but I find all the songs solid.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    moho wrote:
    Awful album, the recording quality is awful and there is a distinct lack of depth. You just cant listen to it and notice a guitar part or vocal harmony or extra percussion part that you have never heard before like you can with ALLL the other albums. It's just a throwaway album, there seems to be no imagination that would come with a good producer.

The songs are ok live, as they are not bad songs but there is no real 'album' feel of it like there is with the other records, it's just bland and uninspiring to listen to form start to finish.
    i agree that the production is not up to pj standards...
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    I am not a big fan of this album.
    I just like Life Wasted, Army Reserve, Comatose and Wasted Reprise.
    To be honest, I thought Into the Wild a better album than Avocado.
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Options
    For me, it's definitely their weakest album, though I have mixed feelings about it.

The high points are really high (Unemployable, Parachutes, Comatose, Inside Job)

And the low points are really low (Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Gone, Come Back)...some of the lamest crap PJ has ever recorded.

For me it's not the production of the record, it's the quality of the songwriting. The crappier songs still suck as much live as they do on the album. Listening to Ed huff and puff and croak his way through WWS is a painful experience.
  • Options
    JWBusher wrote:
    And the low points are really low (Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Gone, Come Back)...some of the lamest crap PJ has ever recorded.

dayum.. i'd have them as high points

each to their own

i'll listen to the avo maybe once a fortnight
    wah
  • Options
    pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    I love it. I mean, it's not in my top 3 PJ albums or anything. But i think it's great.
    Only really have a problem with 'Unemployable'. Think the start of it sounds like Status Quo !!!
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • Options
    Avocado lasted longer for me than Riot Act, but neither touch Binaural or Yield for me, regarding their later releases. Still listen to Binaural and Yield regularly. I haven't listened to the last two CDs in a long time.

Avocado wasn't up to my expectations, but thats just me.
  • Options
    PJSEMPRE wrote:
    a MUCH better album, that's why Ed toured the west coast first solo, so he could really feel again, lol
    "So forget the other boys because my love is real.
    Come off your battlefield."
  • Options
    PJSEMPRE wrote:

Funny you mention that...I've listened to ITW more than any PJ release since probably Binaural or Yield. Maybe my tastes are changing...maybe because Ed mixes it up and writes some incredible stuff vs. what I felt was marginal on the last two PJ CDs.

Totally different genres though...hard to compare. It probably just has more to do with my love for Ed's voice and I think having it so clear and in the forefront on songs is really appealling to me. I really hope he releases more solo material....including LONGER songs.. :)