Options

Anyone else here NEVER reach for "Avocado"?

Comments

• Options
    I really enjoyed this album when it first came out and I definitely think it holds up to this day. Unemployable has been one of my favorite PJ songs since they released it on iTunes with WWS before the full album was released. Big Wave is probably my least favorite song of the bunch. Truthfully I don't think there is a real large margin between the best and worst PJ albums but most of the time my opinion on that matter changes. Recently Riot Act has been my favorite because unfortunately I didn't give it the attention it deserved when it was first released.
    5/2/16 - New York, NY  ||  5/1/16 - New York, NY  ||  10/18/13 - Brooklyn, NY  ||  10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY  ||  5/21/10 - New York, NY  ||  5/20/10 - New York, NY  ||  5/10/10 - Buffalo, NY  ||  10/31/09 - Philadelphia, PA  ||  10/30/09 - Philadelphia, PA  ||  8/21/09 - Toronto, Canada  ||  6/28/08 - Mansfield, MA  ||  6/3/06 - East Rutherford, NJ
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    I still love it as much as I did on day one. I was so happy with the turnaround from Riot Act.

That said, I really don't listen to any of the studio albums very much. Just boots mostly.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    id put it on top of their catalogue with binaural, ten, vitalogy and no code

vs, ra, yield are great too,

hard to imagine pj fans down on avocado, even if you take the approach that is the twilight of any almost any bands career that far in. take it easy
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    This is fascinating because when the album came out, many exclaimed it was a return to their glory.

Interesting.

PBM

alot of people did, but once the honeymoon was over, i think alot of people just realized how mediocre sounding the album is.

on the bottom of my PJ CD stack.
  • Options
    I always reach for it... it's one of my 'happy' albums :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    and as much as i really, really wanted to love it, i just don't.
    something seems to be missing.

i never listen to the avocado....ever.
    i agree. sadly i hardly even consider it a pearl jam album kind of. it's like, you got ten, vs, vitalogy, no code, yield, binaural, riot act which are part of pearl jam's repertoire, then avocado is just... there. it just doesnt... fit for me i guess.. and it's sad because i love army reserve and inside job and other songs, but i kind of hate WWS, severed hand, and life wasted a little... i dunno why but it just doesnt do it for me. i want them to, but they just dont... i mean live theyre wicked, but on the studio album it's just.. blah...
    PJ: 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/18/13, 8/7/16
    eV: 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 6/21/11
    SG: 10/4/08<-- MET STONE!!!
  • Options
    Great album.
    One of my favorites.
    Much better than Riot Act.
  • Options
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    as usual you and i see things differently...

i love avocado... studio... live... however

in fact... if i want avo songs i'm more likely to reach for studio more so than with any other studio... except maybe No Code

mostly i listen to boots...or avo or no code. :)

That's weird because I agree with you 100 percent. I listen to mostly boots but sometimes I'll spin avo or no code. They are really the only ones...

I'm really surprised people don't like avo that much. I mean, I'm a fan of all their stuff. But avo is one of the better ones in my opinion. Mostly because, I love every song on it. I don't think any song is weak at all.

If I had to rank, it would go something like this:

No Code
    Vs
    Avo
    Ten (Would have been first a long time ago, but I'm so sick of it)
    Vitalogy
    Binaural
    Yield
    Riot Act
    I'm the first mammal to wear pants, yeah
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    This thread needs to be moved to the "piss & moan" message pit.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    still a very good album, my tastes on the album have changed tho in the last 2 years
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    Its a decent album, but I'm not as high on it as I was when it came out. I haven't listened to it in many months actually.

I think what bothers me about it is the lack of depth to many of the songs - lacking some of the subtleties that reward with repeat listens. I think the ones that have held up for me after a couple of years are: MITS, Parachutes, and Army Reserve. Inside Job is nice to hear live.

Sorry, but Big Wave is awful. Don't know how that one made it on the album.
  • Options
    I can't believe people are putting 'Pearl Jam' below 'Riot Act'. 'Riot Act' is clearly the worst PJ album, uninspired, rushed, Ed mumbling his way through it.

Saying that though, 'Pearl Jam' is only slightly better. I agree with previous posts that it has no atmosphere, and the production is too lively. Thank god they are going back with Brendon O'Brien for the next one.

Army Reserve & Inside Job at least see them experimenting abit..WWS & Severed Hand are good rockers, & Unemployable is nice & tuneful. The rest is generic Pearl Jam. We've heard better before....Comatose is horribly forced. Marker In The Sand feels like 2 songs stuck awkwardly together...

We may of seen the best of Pearl Jam in terms of new albums..I think the next one will be key. They need a big, decent studio album that can match the aggression of the first 3 albums, and the wonderful sonic experiments of the next 3.
  • Options
    Gmoney wrote:
    With every other album i get a real visual of where the band was when they recorded it. I guess maybe a view into their state of mind at the time they made the album. You can feel through the album what inspired them to write. With all the other albums there is, at least at some point in the record, a sense of either exploration, deep sadness, anger, protest or triumph. I think in Ed's lyrical writing when his tone is motivated by either sadness, loss, curiosity, or anger we get the best pj songs. I think that tone echoes through the band and even impacts the music too. Avocado has some obviously sad songs, (Comeback) but I think in general Ed and the rest of the band were a bunch of happy, comfortable, successful, carefree guys who made an album for the sake of making an album. If you think about it, this is the first time we've had them in this state of mind...

Ya, World Wide Suicide is so "carefree"
    Camden - 5/28/06; Camden - 6/20/08; MSG - 6/25/08; Newark - (Ed Solo) 8/7/08; Philly - (Ed Solo) 6/12/09; Philly - 10/30/09; Philly - 10/31/09; Newark - 5/18/10; MSG - 5/20/10; MSG - 5/21/10
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Ya, World Wide Suicide is so "carefree"
    not that the subject matter is carefree, but the band members personally were at the time they recorded the album. It's why the album and that song specifically didn't connect like past songs... just a thought
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    I can't believe people are putting 'Pearl Jam' below 'Riot Act'. 'Riot Act' is clearly the worst PJ album, uninspired, rushed, Ed mumbling his way through it.

Saying that though, 'Pearl Jam' is only slightly better. I agree with previous posts that it has no atmosphere, and the production is too lively. Thank god they are going back with Brendon O'Brien for the next one.

Army Reserve & Inside Job at least see them experimenting abit..WWS & Severed Hand are good rockers, & Unemployable is nice & tuneful. The rest is generic Pearl Jam. We've heard better before....Comatose is horribly forced. Marker In The Sand feels like 2 songs stuck awkwardly together...

We may of seen the best of Pearl Jam in terms of new albums..I think the next one will be key. They need a big, decent studio album that can match the aggression of the first 3 albums, and the wonderful sonic experiments of the next 3.

Exactly right. Ed sounds awful on Riot Act like he doesn't even want to be there.

The whole band sounded invigorated with Avo. While it still wasn't the perfect album I wanted from them it does give me a lot of hope for the next one.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    I actually haven't taken it out of my changer in my truck in about 3months.. I hear it all the time, I do still get into it while I go to and from work.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109

For me Avocado is much better than Binaural. It's really good album for me
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    you are all the collective equivalent of a dip-shit stuck in the 90's yelling "play Jeremy" at a concert.

yeah that's right..i said it...it's a thinker so it will go over a lot of your heads

(if need be i will explain it to you)

:D:D:D

agreed !
    08/29 & 8/30 2000-Mansfield
    7/2 & 7/11 2003-Mansfield
    9/28 & 9/29 2004-Boston
    5/24 & 5/25 2006-Boston-11th & 10th row
    6/27 2008-Hartford -Front Row Center!
    6/28 & 6/30 2008-Mansfield

08/01 (2nd row) & 08/02/2008 (Eddie Vedder) Boston

skinny little bitch
  • Options
    I play it all the time, it's not their best but I thought it was a very good release.
    Raleigh '03; Hartford '08; Mansfield II '08; Buffalo '10; Hartford '10;
    East Troy I '11; East Troy II '11; DeLuna Fest '12; Wrigley '13; Buffalo '13;
    Toronto II '16; Wrigley I '16; Wrigley II '16; Wrigley I '18; Wrigley II '18;
    Asbury Park '21; MSG '22; Camden '22
  • Options
    avocado is a fine album...play it frequently
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    you are all the collective equivalent of a dip-shit stuck in the 90's yelling "play Jeremy" at a concert.

yeah that's right..i said it...it's a thinker so it will go over a lot of your heads

(if need be i will explain it to you)

:D:D:D

Don't stereotype friend... No Code brought me to this band in '97 and its been uphill ever since...with the exception of the last two CDs....some good tracks...others too predictable and OLD... I really have questioned whether PJ has really pushed into new territory over the last decade...only sparingly so for me. That may be adequate for you.....

The live shows are great, but the last few CDS have been too predictable...for me anyway I guess

Hammer me worshipers!!!
  • Options
    I listen to it at the gym quite a bit.
  • Options
    i used to put it above riot act, but ive come to appreciate riot act more and think it may have some more depth than avocado. maybe one day itll switch again.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    im not a huge fan
    I like bands.
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I like it......solid disc all the way through, comes off better live.

Not PJ's best, but still one of the best albums I've heard in the past couple of years.
  • Options
    Never. I reach for Torino '06 boot.
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    Don't stereotype friend... No Code brought me to this band in '97 and its been uphill ever since...with the exception of the last two CDs....some good tracks...others too predictable and OLD... I really have questioned whether PJ has really pushed into new territory over the last decade...only sparingly so for me. That may be adequate for you.....

The live shows are great, but the last few CDS have been too predictable...for me anyway I guess

Hammer me worshipers!!!

granted it was more of a reactionary album than a ground breaking one..but that isn't a bad thing.some of the best music to come out of the 70s was in reaction to Vietnam(another illegal "war").self titled was an album that dealt with a lot of bad shit resulting from Bush & co.,it was a way for the band to relay & vent their feelings and it showed who they are as MEN,hasn't changed(WE already knew that)!!

i thought it was such a relevant release and i was proud of them saying the things that most musicians (outside of underground rap) are afraid to say(or just don't give a fuck enough about)

few bands have gone in so many "new directions" as PJ has over the years, so releasing an album that said let's just stay right here and talk about all this bullshit going on in the world/country,was just fine with me and i applaud them for doing so.

great fucking album!!!(except parachutes :D)
  • Options
    Life Wasted, Severed hand, Unemployable, Marker in the Sand, Army reserve and Come Back are as good as anything off the other albums.

Just like All or None, Half Full, green Disease and Save You are all as good as most stuff of the other albums.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    Kingmidget wrote:
    ..with the exception of the last two CDs....some good tracks...others too predictable and OLD... I really have questioned whether PJ has really pushed into new territory over the last decade...only sparingly so for me. That may be adequate for you.....

I can understand where you are coming from with Avocado, whilst I think it is a good album, it wasn't a great departure and was more straight ahead rock.

But, I really disagree with regard to Riot Act. This record pushed a lot of boundaries. I mean the album sounds nothing like any of the other records. Songs like Can't Keep, LBC, Cropduster, You Are, Get Right, Green Disease, Bushleaguer and Half Full are not conventional Pearl Jam songs...in other words they are not really predictable...

Songs like I am Mine, Save You, All or None, Thumbing My Way may have been done before or resemble their style, but all in all I think Riot Act was a departure from stereotypical pearl jam than most records they have realeased. Personally, I can't ask for mush more than that!
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • Options
    I can understand where you are coming from with Avocado, whilst I think it is a good album, it wasn't a great departure and was more straight ahead rock.

But, I really disagree with regard to Riot Act. This record pushed a lot of boundaries. I mean the album sounds nothing like any of the other records. Songs like Can't Keep, LBC, Cropduster, You Are, Get Right, Green Disease, Bushleaguer and Half Full are not conventional Pearl Jam songs...in other words they are not really predictable...

Songs like I am Mine, Save You, All or None, Thumbing My Way may have been done before or resemble their style, but all in all I think Riot Act was a departure from stereotypical pearl jam than most records they have realeased. Personally, I can't ask for mush more than that!

I'll have to reconsider and pull RA off the rack.... :)