Options

Anyone else here NEVER reach for "Avocado"?

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited September 2008 in The Porch
I have 60 some PJ Cd's and I never reach for that one. It just does not do it for me sad to say. I like hearing the songs on a bootleg but other then that....not really.
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    It's funny you say that because with A to Z on MMR this past week - I heard Life Wasted the other day and thought, I really need to pull that out this weekend and take a new listen. It's been a while, but not THAT long :)
  • Options
    i agree with you fully. it is definitely at the bottom of my pj stack
    Music for Rhinos
  • Options
    lol, i actually am in love w/ it right now, i think it is the 3rd best, behind vs and ten
    08/29 & 8/30 2000-Mansfield
    7/2 & 7/11 2003-Mansfield
    9/28 & 9/29 2004-Boston
    5/24 & 5/25 2006-Boston-11th & 10th row
    6/27 2008-Hartford -Front Row Center!
    6/28 & 6/30 2008-Mansfield

08/01 (2nd row) & 08/02/2008 (Eddie Vedder) Boston

skinny little bitch
  • Options
    2nd to the bottom of my stack....just above Riot Act.
    Maybe all I need is a shot in the arm....
  • Options
    Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    i agree with you fully. it is definitely at the bottom of my pj stack

what he/she said
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Options
    don't diss "self titled", it's awesome.

5 yrs from now you will all be on here talking about how wrong you were about this album and how it's now one of your favorites.
  • Options
    I have 60 some PJ Cd's and I never reach for that one. It just does not do it for me sad to say. I like hearing the songs on a bootleg but other then that....not really.

pearl jam preform legendary live shows.
  • Options
    Honestly, I never listen to the studio albums. Why would I when there are all those kick ass bootlegs out there?
    "I think I kinda want it."
  • Options
    Yeah, definitely their worst to date. The replay value is almost non existent.

Lil Wayne is better than Pearl Jam.

Bitches ain't nothin' but hoes 'n tricks
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    This is fascinating because when the album came out, many exclaimed it was a return to their glory.

Interesting.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    you know I think it's a great cd. I love the first 6 songs, army reserve and the first minute of Inside Job too... Yet, I never, ever listen to this cd. In fact I've only listened to Yield, Binaural, and No Code for like 3, 4 years.
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    part of the problem is all those damn bootlegs ,they tend to sound way more raw and aggressive live then on the album.
    I agree with the other guy who said the first six songs kick ass after that the wheels fall and thst's where i loose interest. I'm not sure why either b/c i think "ComeBack and "Inside Job" are awesome. Maybe they should of stayed with the progression of the first half of the record instead of pulling back and putting me to sleep.
    I bet that was Ed's idea.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    This is fascinating because when the album came out, many exclaimed it was a return to their glory.

Interesting.

PBM

That's part of the problem. Sure, it was PJ being aggressive again...but the songs don't hold up. I'd much rather listen to Yield, Vitalogy, or Vs. if I want aggressive PJ.

Lil Wayne is better than Pearl Jam.

Bitches ain't nothin' but hoes 'n tricks
  • Options
    don't diss "self titled", it's awesome.

5 yrs from now you will all be on here talking about how wrong you were about this album and how it's now one of your favorites.

that's because if things follow suit there will be a much worse album out in five years and 2008 will become the good ol' days

the people who said this know very little about pearl jam and music in general COUGHrolling stoneCOUGH
    Music for Rhinos
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Not my fav
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    It is quite easily their worst studio album.

That being said, it's still a decent album with some good songs which save it from being a total dud.
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    I'd much rather listen to Yield

The correct answer.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    It just does not do it for me sad to say.

and as much as i really, really wanted to love it, i just don't.
    something seems to be missing.

i never listen to the avocado....ever.
    nice shirt
  • Options
    With every other album i get a real visual of where the band was when they recorded it. I guess maybe a view into their state of mind at the time they made the album. You can feel through the album what inspired them to write. With all the other albums there is, at least at some point in the record, a sense of either exploration, deep sadness, anger, protest or triumph. I think in Ed's lyrical writing when his tone is motivated by either sadness, loss, curiosity, or anger we get the best pj songs. I think that tone echoes through the band and even impacts the music too. Avocado has some obviously sad songs, (Comeback) but I think in general Ed and the rest of the band were a bunch of happy, comfortable, successful, carefree guys who made an album for the sake of making an album. If you think about it, this is the first time we've had them in this state of mind...
  • Options
    Big EdBig Ed Posts: 331
    I think it's great. I've listened through it two times this week.
    Ignoring Rusted Signs
  • Options
    I've been going back and listening to all the studio albums lately after completely inundating myself with bootlegs for a long stretch. I didn’t love the self-titled album until I heard the songs live around the time it came out. I too find that the first 5-6 songs pack a decent punch, and I’m left wanting more from the second half the album…
  • Options
    MohabMohab Posts: 310
    By tommorow I'll be reaching for my third copy from the arctic gift shop i spotted one at yesterday. the others are lost/burnt out
  • Options
    you are all the collective equivalent of a dip-shit stuck in the 90's yelling "play Jeremy" at a concert.

yeah that's right..i said it...it's a thinker so it will go over a lot of your heads

(if need be i will explain it to you)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    Self titled and Riot Act are probably my two favorite albums, I find myself never reaching for vitalogy and vs lately...maybe because im just kinda sick of them.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    i never reach for any studio cd's anymore only the 1st few months when they release one for me it's allways boots ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    you are all the collective equivalent of a dip-shit stuck in the 90's yelling "play Jeremy" at a concert.

yeah that's right..i said it...it's a thinker so it will go over a lot of your heads

(if need be i will explain it to you)

:D:D:D
    Ugh? ;)

I find myself yelling "play grievance"
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    i listen to it more than any other PJ album. as of late Vitalogy has been sounding really great to me too !

but ive like ST since it came out, and still love it.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    It's a fine album. It just might take some time to warm up to. It took me a month or two before I really liked it. (Listening to army reserve while typing)
    Light green to green, dark green, brown..
    Every life is falling down
    Brown to black, it's coming back
    Dies to be part of the ground
    Seed to seedling, root to stem
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,761
    1/2 Empty wrote:
    Honestly, I never listen to the studio albums. Why would I when there are all those kick ass bootlegs out there?

I'm the same way....it's rare that I listen to the studio albums anymore. There aer way too many great boots..
  • Options
    I love Avocado. Honestly, my only problem is probably that I played it so much when it came out. I need some time away from it before it'll shine again like it did. But I tell you, when I hear a song off it on a bootleg, I'm always loving it.
    "You could have licked the lips of God, but you chose the pavement..." ~ These Arms Are Snakes