Options

I need someone to explain what's so great about PJ vinyl

F5F5 Posts: 791
edited August 2008 in The Porch
So I really want to understand the vinyl craze. I have have a vinyl record player (although its a very cheap one with not the best speakers) and i have some vinyls records that I play on it from time to time just for fun. But I don't understand what's so great about it. Maybe its my speakers or the player but I don't think it sounds that great. Someone help.
Bridge - 10/25/03
Mansfield I - 6/28/08
Eddie NYC - 8/4/08
Seattle - 9/21/09, 9/22/09
Salt Lake City 9/28/09
LA 9/30/09, 10/07/09
San Diego 10/9/09
Alpine Valley 9/03/11, 9/04/11
Ashbury Park 9/18/21
LA 5/06/21, 5/07/21
Phoenix 05/09/22
NYC 9/11/22
Denver 9/22/22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    It's nostalgic... with all the high def crap going on these days, it's just nice to have something that we love so much in old school form....

And dude.... freakin' spin the black circle would ya? ;)
    "I heard some people up here pointing out the ukelele...it's a mandolin, you uncultured bastards!" EV

If nothing is everything, I'll have it all

Hard to Imagine: http://lightyourpillow.blogspot.com
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    everyone has music on cd's. vinyl is different. to hear you favorite band on an old fashioned format is better in my opinion. ok, so it's not the clearest and you have to turn a record over to hear the whole thing, but that's whats cool.besides, you can't beat the giant artwork inside. look, vinyl is like the poster craze (kinda). like posters, they only make a certain amount and then they're done forever. people who have these albums are a small percentage of the PJ community. Once you get into it, it's hard to stop. Trust me, I know.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    NewDamageNewDamage Posts: 1,913
    Get some decent equipment and play No Code or Binaural and I think you'll gain a new appreciation.

Viva La Vinyl!
    I am lost, I'm no guide. But I'm by your side...

8/25/92, 10/4/96, 10/5/96, 9/1/98, 9/4/98, 8/4/00, 8/6/00, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 10/6/04, 6/16/08
  • Options
    IMO there is a lot of Ed dick riding amongst the fans and if Ed says/does something others will follow suit.

that's my take on the vinyl

(not saying it's all of you)

to me music is where you WANT technology!! Binaural Flac through high quality speakers....WOW!!
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,943
    veevala
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I '24
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    IMO there is a lot of Ed dick riding amongst the fans and if Ed says/does something others will follow suit.

that's my take on the vinyl

(not saying it's all of you)

to me music is where you WANT technology!! Binaural Flac through high quality speakers....WOW!!

Haha, Ed dick riding, that's funny. Yeah sometimes technology can really do wonders with music, but there are certain albums, in my opinion, like After the Gold Rush or Harvest, that have a raw, unproduced, true sound to it through a vinyl record. Like one of my friends says, it's warm, like a campfire
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,316
    Vinyl is what I grew up with. It's what I'll die with.

And I can read the liner notes.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    So I really want to understand the vinyl craze. I have have a vinyl record player (although its a very cheap one with not the best speakers) and i have some vinyls records that I play on it from time to time just for fun. But I don't understand what's so great about it. Maybe its my speakers or the player but I don't think it sounds that great. Someone help.

It depends on the album & who mastered it. Old music is usually better on vinyl because...

A) Current CD remastering trends are poor
    and
    B) The original tapes have become damaged or missing

Pearl Jam, on the other hand, doesn't sound much different on vinyl than on CD. They are one of those bands who talks a big game about vinyl, but then they release vinyl that is mastered just as crappy as the CD version. Therefore, it's pointless.
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    I lived through vinyl... then, 8-tracks... cassettes... CDs.
    Vinyl were prone to click and pops... and scratches and skips. They were also very touchy... no dancing too hard because one bump and your record was ruined. and... try playing a record in your car.
    Cassettes had hisss and 8-tracks were just fucking annoying... except you could play them in your car.
    CDs were great because no more clicks and pops or hissing or track changes. They sounded clear and clean. You need to spend a ton of cash to get the equipment required to get records and tapes to sound this clean. CDs allowed regular Joes to listen to clean music at regular Joe wages.
    Vinyl is more of a novelty, now. The sound is different... and I actually like the little clicks and pops that I spent most of my youth trying to eliminate.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    yokeyoke Posts: 1,440
    I also grew up on vinyl and then tapes... The vinyl I think it sounds great. I have some older records that almost have a feeling when I play them. I don't know what it is but I like them.
    Thats a lovely accent you have. New Jersey?

www.seanbrady.net
  • Options
    DariusDarius Posts: 89
    i dunnooo...i still think cd's sound better unless you have really high end audio gear and a great turntable, which most people do not. and these days most folks are lookin to get the newest and best quality gadgets. audiophiles are weird like that workin boths sides...you bastards
    After several hundred concerts spanning nearly twenty years of my life, I've finally been to the best shows of my life. PJ at the Garden 6/24-25/08
  • Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    yoke wrote:
    I also grew up on vinyl and then tapes... The vinyl I think it sounds great. I have some older records that almost have a feeling when I play them. I don't know what it is but I like them.
    For me... it's the memories. The smell of the new record.. how clean and black and SCRATCH FREE it was when you first pulled it from it's sleeve.
    The little **plop-thump** noise the needle makes when it contacts the spinning vinyl... it reminds me of being a kid and hearing that for the first time.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    gobrowns19gobrowns19 Posts: 1,447
    Cosmo wrote:
    For me... it's the memories. The smell of the new record.. how clean and black and SCRATCH FREE it was when you first pulled it from it's sleeve.
    The little **plop-thump** noise the needle makes when it contacts the spinning vinyl... it reminds me of being a kid and hearing that for the first time.

Damn that's like an orgasm to my ears.....plp-thump...hisssssssssssss-do do do do do :D
    Happiness is only real when shared
  • Options
    leadbedr10leadbedr10 Posts: 409
    Technology wise vinyl is still the best recording you can have.
    No matter how you do it CD's are compressed from the original, vinyl is not.
    You dont have to spend 1000's to have a nice set up either. You'd be surprised what you can find in pawn shops.
    I still prefer vinyl. And if you follow some of the record message boards, it is making a decent comeback.
  • Options
    I have 40 year old records that sound better than today's so-called audiophile vinyl. They play clean with practically no pops or clicks. And if the album is in mono you can collapse the stereo channels which eliminates virtually all of the surface noise. I also have records from all different eras which play and sound like shit all the way through. The stereotype that records are inferior sounding, scratchy, and full of pops and clicks...is often not true, and CD's can be equally bad in their own way.

There are record companies out there who are exploiting the vinyl resurgance and making crappy sounding records from CD's and calling them audiophile pressings just because they're 200 grams or whatever. There are also labels doing everything just right. It all depends. You have to do research if you want the best sounding version of something.
  • Options
    KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Ed dick riding ]

Ooooo - eagerly lines up for the newest Disney attraction - this one's obviously worth an E Ticket !!!!!!!!
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • Options
    The original Beatles LP's from England blow away the CD's. I can post MP3's to prove it. And that's because EMI vinyl was top of the line in the vinyl era. Then when the CD era came along they were bottom of the barrel, and they did a half-ass job. To this day those crappy CD's from the 80's are all that's available.

This is only one example, and it's the most popular group of all time!
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Cosmo wrote:
    I lived through vinyl... then, 8-tracks... cassettes... CDs.
    Vinyl were prone to click and pops... and scratches and skips. They were also very touchy... no dancing too hard because one bump and your record was ruined. and... try playing a record in your car.
    Cassettes had hisss and 8-tracks were just fucking annoying... except you could play them in your car.
    CDs were great because no more clicks and pops or hissing or track changes. They sounded clear and clean. You need to spend a ton of cash to get the equipment required to get records and tapes to sound this clean. CDs allowed regular Joes to listen to clean music at regular Joe wages.
    Vinyl is more of a novelty, now. The sound is different... and I actually like the little clicks and pops that I spent most of my youth trying to eliminate.
    I'm from the same era. There really is no comparison to listening to a lp on headphones. I gave away all of our old lps and I'm sorry now. You just can't get the depth, is the only way to describe it. A cd is clearer but you don't get the feeling, if that makes any sense at all. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    JWBusher wrote:
    The original Beatles LP's from England blow away the CD's. I can post MP3's to prove it.

How do you prove a record is better than a CD with mp3 files (crappiest format of all)?

Records do sound better on a good system. I hear things on records that I don't hear on the CD recordings. As someone said earlier you don't have to spend $1,000s for something decent. It's worth the investment. More records are being made now than many realize, but finding older releases can sometimes be a challenge.
  • Options
    DariusDarius Posts: 89
    leadbedr wrote:
    Technology wise vinyl is still the best recording you can have.
    No matter how you do it CD's are compressed from the original, vinyl is not.
    You dont have to spend 1000's to have a nice set up either. You'd be surprised what you can find in pawn shops.
    I still prefer vinyl. And if you follow some of the record message boards, it is making a decent comeback.

Hmm....'technologically' speaking, if vinyl was the best the. We wouldn't have had the advent of cd, mini disk or any kind if digital audio. Oh yeah, and I'm sure any audiophile would find that anything available at a pawn shop would suffice their needs. So do you still have an 8 track player in your car too? I love that rewind feature they finally invented.
    After several hundred concerts spanning nearly twenty years of my life, I've finally been to the best shows of my life. PJ at the Garden 6/24-25/08
  • Options
    Keiran wrote:
    Ed dick riding

Ooooo - eagerly lines up for the newest Disney attraction - this one's obviously worth an E Ticket !!!!!!!!
    :eek: LOL! :eek:
    "I heard some people up here pointing out the ukelele...it's a mandolin, you uncultured bastards!" EV

If nothing is everything, I'll have it all

Hard to Imagine: http://lightyourpillow.blogspot.com
  • Options
    UmbertotambaUmbertotamba Posts: 1,382
    I started with the PJ vinyls just so I could get them a week earlier than the cd's when they were first released. JUst kind of stuck after that!!!

Also they are kind of like mini posters where you see the artwork, not like small cd inserts.
    Springfield MA 94, Hartford CT 96
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I like listening to my P vinlys. the sound is warmer; the cover is huge.
    and when I listen to a vinyl, I only do listen to music, without doing anything else at the same time. it's just a moment for myself and music. like a ritual.
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    Keiran wrote:

it was a metaphor you dirty,dirty girl! (i certainly hope you are female!! :D)
  • Options
    Julien wrote:
    and when I listen to a vinyl, I only do listen to music, without doing anything else at the same time. it's just a moment for myself and music. like a ritual.
    Amen to that my friend. My vinyl's always make me stop and really listen. I actually have a little ritual i start when i throw one on but i won't get into that. I'm just a little fed up with the new record collecting fad that's come about recently. It's making it a lot more difficult and expensive for me to add to my collection since the record store by my house only gets at most five copies for any new album and by the time you get to ebay the prices are ridiculous and i have already had three broken in the mail. Studios are really jumpin on this too, go to any record store site and most of the albums coming out are just rereleases on vinyl. Coldplay just up and decided to release their whole catalog not long ago knowing that all those wannabe hipster poser fans of theirs would buy it. i'll stop now before this gets longer

ps I am loving that fact most artists are using 180g
    Music for Rhinos
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    Darius wrote:
    Hmm....'technologically' speaking, if vinyl was the best the. We wouldn't have had the advent of cd, mini disk or any kind if digital audio. Oh yeah, and I'm sure any audiophile would find that anything available at a pawn shop would suffice their needs. So do you still have an 8 track player in your car too? I love that rewind feature they finally invented.

Other formats were touted as sounding better, although they did not. They are just more convenient. It wouldn't be practical to have an in dash record player (though they have been made), but 8-tracks, cassettes and CDs are good for this purpose.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,149

see "spin the black circle" for reasons...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    SidnumSidnum Posts: 674
    Vinyl is the absolute closest representation of the real thing. CD's do sound great but there is compression. Anytime you do any type of compression you lose fidelity. Of course, at the convenience level, you can't beat CD's. If you can, compare your vinyl to your CD of the same album side by side. See what you think. I have a '74 Dual record player, an early 80's Toshiba Rx'r and some newer Polk bookshelf speakers. I can tell you that the studio version of Immortality sounds amazing along with the rest of the album of course. All their albums sound great on vinyl. I also have some Coltrane, Springsteen, Rush, some of John Willliam's soundtracks i.e. Star Wars, Jaws, E.T., Tool, old Metallica, Fiona Apple, Rage Ag The Machine. I'm just naming off the top of my head. But yeah, vinyl is awesome.
  • Options
    Its the snap crackle and pop for me, when a records nice and broken in
    Tour with fucking NOFX
  • Options
    mini_tbmini_tb Posts: 420
    People already mentioned the "warmth" of the vinyl sound. I totally agree with this. To me, the vinyl copies of these albums just have this sound that, if you close your eyes, you can almost imagine being in the studio with the boys. I can put on a record - especially No Code, Binaural, or Riot Act - and sit on the couch and just bliss out to it. Well, at least till I have to flip the record over...

And the crackle and hiss of the vinyl are pretty f'n sweet, too!
    Glorified version of a pelican