Options

I need someone to explain what's so great about PJ vinyl

2»

Comments

• Options
    CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,219
    wolfbear wrote:
    I'm from the same era. There really is no comparison to listening to a lp on headphones. I gave away all of our old lps and I'm sorry now. You just can't get the depth, is the only way to describe it. A cd is clearer but you don't get the feeling, if that makes any sense at all. :)
    You don't know how many years of my youth were wasted listening to records on headphones. The Beatles (the Acid Years), Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake and Palmer...
    I still have a lot of my old LPs... but, they are in terrible shape. A teenager in 1972 couldn't afford much of a stereo system from his $1.65 minimum wage job at the 'Pup and Taco'. All those hours on that shitty record player were not kind to my records.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Options
    You're so warm...oh, the ritual...when I lay down your crooked arm...
    1992 Lollapalooza Detroit
    1998 Cleveland
    2000 Columbus
    2004 Toledo
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    So I really want to understand the vinyl craze. I have have a vinyl record player (although its a very cheap one with not the best speakers) and i have some vinyls records that I play on it from time to time just for fun. But I don't understand what's so great about it. Maybe its my speakers or the player but I don't think it sounds that great. Someone help.
    theres this certain scent when you remove an album from the paper sleeve. Its nice and refreshing and even MORE SO when its a PEARL JAM album! And the SOUND is just spectacular. You hear little things on vinyl that you dont hear from a cd or anything else. True freakin story!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    besides that authentic sound, my best memories of really growing up with vinyl ... hit the store, find the album on the latest display, pick it up with a smile, pay & rush home, take it out of the sleeve and pop it on, settle down to listen and pour over all the art, words, & lyrics inside. I used to get a huge kick out of the art, and at the time it wasnt so much the sound that drew me - id always buy albums instead of cassettes really because of the artwork. Its only now after so long listening to crystal clear cd that i appreciate that crackle of a vinyl.

i still have a lot of my old albums - no pj except for 10c xmas singles :( i started buying cd's around the time of ten - but a lot of old metallica, and i even inherited a lot of my older brother's collection (yellow brick road, um? some other shit, will have to look in the box)
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    I want to get a record player, but not sure what to get. What's a simple model that you guys would recommend?
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • Options
    JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I want to get a record player, but not sure what to get. What's a simple model that you guys would recommend?
    not the cheapest one but it's worth the investment:
    http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Hifi/PlatineTD/ProJectDebut3.html
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Options
    bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,165
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR