Options

Stalking the band

2»

Comments

• Options
    stalking is taking things to a whole new level when your litterally following the person around everywhere like their homes. now there are big fans and there are obsessive fans wating at a hotel or a venue to try and get a picture of an autograph is fine its when people start to take things to a obsessive personal level....
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    I'm very curious about everyone's comments about stalking the band. "Your cousin struck up a conversation with Mike when he was his waiter, so he must be a stalker." "You want to send a letter to Eddie? You're a stalker!" "I saw one of the guys on the train with his kid, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be a stalker."

How do you define stalking? Is everyone supposed to pretend they don't recognize them? Are they not people like you and I? People I don't know talk to me all the time when I'm out and that doesn't bother me - even if I'm with my family. And if someone wants to tell me they think I'm cool - well who doesn't like that?!

I certainly agree that they & their privacy should be respected and I generally don't strike up conversations with celebrities I see (and have never asked for an autograph or picture). But I also wonder if all this "respect for their privacy" is what can make celebrities feel all alone in a room full of people. (Another thing I wonder is: since Eddie Vedder is one of the very few celebrities in the world I would love to talk to, under what circumstances should I pass up that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity should it ever arise?)

Thoughts?

Mikw hid under the Scorpions limo once rememeber? ;) Mikes a big time stalker :D
    Pearl Jam - London Astoria 20/4/06....One hell of a night :)

Reading 2006 - WOOOOW!!!!!

Paris 2006 - Fucking amazing

Wembley 2007 :D
  • Options
    STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    I would not talk to anyone in the band unless they were just hanging someplace and seemed not preoccupied or anything, I would just say;

"hey I know you get this all the time, but thanks for the music which has been a big part of my life for about 17 years. I really appreciate it, keep up the good work."

That would pretty much be it.

BTW..

I've had a couple encounters with celebrities, actually a good number and most times I've played it off like I did not know who they were and they seemed to appreciate that. My most recent was about a month ago in Hoboken NJ, my Wife and I were walking from the St.Anne's festival to an Italian restaraunt called Leos. We did not know exactly where it was so we stopped in front of this bar on Grand Street to ask folks standing out front smoking if they knew where Leos was. My Wife struck up a conversation with this couple while I stood back and just waited to begin walking again, I look at this guy I'm standing next to and I say in my mind;

"Wow this guy looks like that guy from friends". Then I heard him talk and as soon as I heard his voice I immediately realized it was indeed David Schwimmer (Ross), he was asking his friend "did anyone recognize me in there" to which his friend replied "yeah a couple cops in the back of the bar".

I didn't say anything, we got the directions and kept walking, while I was never into friends (seen it a couple times) I really did enjoy Band of Brothers. If there were not other people around who did not realize who he was I would of mentioned Band of Brothers, which was an excellent series.

BTW..

Biggest A$$hole celebrity I've ever had an encounter with, Geraldo Rivera. He came into this fish store I worked in to buy Koi for his pond, I carried out dozens of heavy boxes of koi in water to his Toyota Land Rover (or whatever it's called) and no tip. Not only that but he asked for a discount because of the publicity he brought the place by him merely shopping there.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    scb wrote:
    What if you find yourself standing next to Eddie at the urinals? Do you strike up a conversation? :D

NO JOKE...this happened to guy in my husband's band! was quite a few years ago now...both he and ed, amongst many others :p, were attending some pete townshend show in NYC. friend went into the men's room, and either ed was already in there or came in right behind him. both at the urinals, i believe ED struck up convo, talking about pete. :D friend was amazed to be talking to ed, and even more taken aback by the bizarre circumstance. haha.

me, i have never met anyone in the band...but nor do i ever make any effort to do so, nor would i. i too would like it to occur 'organically'...run into them out somewhere in the city before/after shows, or whatever. i was hoping to run into mike or any of em really, is a bistro in italy, but never happened.....c'est la vie.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    scb wrote:
    I'm very curious about everyone's comments about stalking the band. "Your cousin struck up a conversation with Mike when he was his waiter, so he must be a stalker." "You want to send a letter to Eddie? You're a stalker!" "I saw one of the guys on the train with his kid, but I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be a stalker."

How do you define stalking? Is everyone supposed to pretend they don't recognize them? Are they not people like you and I? People I don't know talk to me all the time when I'm out and that doesn't bother me - even if I'm with my family. And if someone wants to tell me they think I'm cool - well who doesn't like that?!

I certainly agree that they & their privacy should be respected and I generally don't strike up conversations with celebrities I see (and have never asked for an autograph or picture). But I also wonder if all this "respect for their privacy" is what can make celebrities feel all alone in a room full of people. (Another thing I wonder is: since Eddie Vedder is one of the very few celebrities in the world I would love to talk to, under what circumstances should I pass up that once-in-a-lifetime opportunity should it ever arise?)

Thoughts?
    the word stalker is used loosely alot. Celebrities are people just like us but with a higher profile. As heard specifically from one of my fave celebs- "we are human just like you. we get effin hungry. when we need to go grocery shopping and are with our kidz, respect that. Dont bring your cameras all up in our faces ESPECIALLY my kidz faces. We may be in a hurry just like you and want to run in and out of the market to get what we need and get home and watch the game. just like you. when we are at dinner, let us effing eat cuz we are STARVING!!! JUST LIKE YOU!!! its not that we are stuck up and dont want to say hi but we are just like YOU and if theres a hearty meal in front of me, please just SAY hi. Dont take it as an opportunity to remind me of the time i did this or that in 1990!!! :D"
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!