Why are some PJ fans so dumb?

BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
edited August 2008 in The Porch
http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=785456

Vedder's talent, solo show vision lost on audience
By ERIK ERNST
Special to the Journal Sentinel1
Posted: Aug. 20, 2008

Pearl Jam front man Eddie Vedder understands the challenges a rock star faces in tackling a solo theater show.
Advertisement

Fans covet the rare opportunity to see a musician they've only gazed at from afar play rare songs in an intimate setting, only to have other concert-goers ruin the show by screaming out requests or other pleas for attention that are usually muffled by stadium rock.

Nearing the end of the three-week solo tour, Vedder tried to confront the issue before it started Tuesday night at the Riverside Theater.

"Look at us - up for a fancy night on the town," he said to the cheering, sold-out crowd, telling them to get the yelling out of their systems before he began thumping out the percussion for the opening "Sometimes" with his foot. With a plaid flannel shirt as the only item betraying his grunge roots, Vedder played Cat Stevens' "Trouble" as a starkly lonesome electric guitar melody while Bob Dylan's "Girl From the North Country" highlighted the dulcet tremolo aspect of Vedder's rich vocals.

With a set list that drew from his own solo work, eclectic covers and some deep Pearl Jam cuts, Vedder had a defined vision for the evening that was lost on the audience.

Just five songs in, the singer started confronting individual rabble rousers - even dedicating the brooding "Dead Man Walking" to one heckler - in hopes that singling them out would quiet their interruptions.

It didn't.

Next, Vedder tried conversation, relating a funny story of a man who called 911 when his sub sandwich was delivered without dressing. Acknowledging the well-behaved fans, he even asked the others, "Is this the first time you've sat in velvet chairs?" That didn't work either.

After a mid-set collection of songs that he wrote for the soundtrack to the 2007 film "Into the Wild," Vedder tried pandering, offering a crowd-wide sing-along version of the Pearl Jam favorite "Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town."

Luckily, that seemed to satisfy the audience long enough for Vedder to perform a stunning interpretation of "Millworker," James Taylor's 1979 blue-collar ode.

Throughout the evening, sparks of Vedder's good humor and everyman demeanor emerged. Picking up a ukulele for "Soon Forget," he described the Napoleon complexes that he assumes small instruments have. The Beatles' "Blackbird" showcased Vedder's intricate fretwork on the acoustic guitar and gave the outspoken musician a chance to promote his endorsement of Barack Obama.

But, in the encore, the artist's frustrations re-emerged as he looked offstage and asked if he should just end the show when another major outburst occurred. Slumping from his stool to the stage in frustration, Vedder did push-ups as security removed one unruly fan near the front of the theater.

By the end of the show's finale, "Hard Sun" - an upbeat rocker that featured opener Liam Finn on the drums - Vedder had had enough. Thanking the crowd curtly, he shoved his microphone to the stage as he stormed off.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Damn shame that a few people make the rest of us look like idiots sometimes...
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    wtf? Why the hell can't they shut up???? Have these people never been at a smaller venue?

Jesus christ .... I mean , did ed really do push ups waiting for everyone to settle down? I'm glad i missed the solo shows if the crowds really were this disrespectful. Very lame , whoever did that.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,200
    wtf? Why the hell can't they shut up???? Have these people never been at a smaller venue?

Jesus christ .... I mean , did ed really do push ups waiting for everyone to settle down? I'm glad i missed the solo shows if the crowds really were this disrespectful.

i usually don't worry about people who get completely drunk and act like fools, but this is starting to worry me for friday night. i'm wondering if it'll be too hard to ignore in such a small place. fucking hell...
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Ouch.
    That sounds pretty bad.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Ouch.
    That sounds pretty bad.

yeah im a lil ashamed of the fans and i feel bad for ved...

Thats gotta suck..
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Ouch.
    That sounds pretty bad.

indeed, im starting to think that Ed will never do another tour like these ones, thanks a lot drunken frat boys who came to see acoustic versions of even flow.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • Options
    i usually don't worry about people who get completely drunk and act like fools, but this is starting to worry me for friday night. i'm wondering if it'll be too hard to ignore in such a small place. fucking hell...

Well any place that holds less than 3k people its a pretty good bet that you'll be able to be completely aware of whats goin on all around you.

I remember seeing cornell at a small venue in NJ.. it was the most amazing show ever! Saw buddy guy there as well shortly after and theres always one drunk person at the bar yelling over everyone. Are people that attention hungry? Thats a dumb question, never mind :D See this is what happens when i don't go to shows.. i should be at every show just to keep all the twarts in line.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,337
    It got me kinda pissed at the nyc2 show...I mean I score great seats(thanks 10c), Enjoyed the shit out of Liam, felt like this was suppose to be a show for people who actually like music and its profound effect on ones soul...turns out it was all that mixed in with some real assholes

They should have done their research to see what kind of show to expect...bunch of morons who think he's gonna play Evenflow, Alive etc

It felt like a bunch of people..turns out it was the same 4-5 assholes
  • Options

Thats gotta suck..
    You have nothing to be ashamed of. It wasn't you.
    I feel badly for him too, but still, these are fans used to seeing him smashing his guitar and guzzling wine and beer onstage.
    Not an excuse, but the whole sit around the campfire and sing folksongs is a bit too much for some people obviously.
    And to add, there was a woman sitting a few seats away from me at DC2 who was screaming incessantly. And let me say, she was no spring chicken. But it was magnified for me by the vertigo from being in the balcony.
    Poor Ed.
  • Options
    hey Ed 3 words for you...

10c only shows!!!!

man,he was so pissed he slammed the mic & stormed off?? i don't feel so bad about the yelling idiots in Boston now! :)
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    it was quiet where I sat in DC1. I was scared to sing along, afraid others would hear my awful voice!
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    Ample JarAmple Jar Posts: 236
    Can anyone who was there confirm if it really was as bad as that article made it out to be??? I know Ed was mostly playful with the idiots at the west coast shows...I just can't see him getting to upset about it....storming off stage? Really?
    9/22/96, 8/17/98, 8/18/00, 6/22/03, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 7/16/06, 7/18/06
  • Options

Thats gotta suck..

the guy is up there exposed, sharing something very personal and intimate and people have to be fucking idiots and just listen and experience what's going on. how the hell can one experience something when they are just shit blasted out of their mind. music doesn't sound better when your all fuck wasted on alcohol and drugs. that's just me. guess i'm an audio-purist who wants to feel it all as it is without any "help."
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Ample Jar wrote:
    Can anyone who was there confirm if it really was as bad as that article made it out to be??? I know Ed was mostly playful with the idiots at the west coast shows...I just can't see him getting to upset about it....storming off stage? Really?

go check given to fly for more details from fans who were there.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    You have nothing to be ashamed of. It wasn't you.
    I feel badly for him too, but still, these are fans used to seeing him smashing his guitar and guzzling wine and beer onstage.
    Not an excuse, but the whole sit around the campfire and sing folksongs is a bit too much for some people obviously.
    And to add, there was a woman sitting a few seats away from me at DC2 who was screaming incessantly. And let me say, she was no spring chicken. But it was magnified for me by the vertigo from being in the balcony.
    Poor Ed.

Well im glad there were at least a few cool people there:) Im sure there was plenty but seems like they were all in the balcony :D

I have no problem punching some screaming lady in the back of the head. That sounds mean but all it does is mess up bootlegs and blow my ear drums out. I get into shows to.. believe me. At pj shows i go ape shit but the intimacy of the ed shows is something to be treasured and enjoyed respectively. If my hearing goes i would like it to be shot out by Mr. Gossard, Ament, McCready, Vedder and Cameron. Not some middle aged woman who can't keep her energy contained properly;p
  • Options
    I feel very fortunate that none of that really happened in Newark. except for one guy who was yelling (not that loud though) over and over again "Strangest Tribe...Strangest Tribe"...friggin tool.
  • Options
    [yep ny1 was better than ny2

he got ticked called the audience an idiot then said he wasnt ging to play no more

i understand it must b tough for him

but how about ignoring them

or getting them kicked out

I'd kick everyone out :)

CROJAM95 wrote:
    It got me kinda pissed at the nyc2 show...I mean I score great seats(thanks 10c), Enjoyed the shit out of Liam, felt like this was suppose to be a show for people who actually like music and its profound effect on ones soul...turns out it was all that mixed in with some real assholes

They should have done their research to see what kind of show to expect...bunch of morons who think he's gonna play Evenflow, Alive etc

It felt like a bunch of people..turns out it was the same 4-5 assholes
  • Options
    Well im glad there were at least a few cool people there:) Im sure there was plenty but seems like they were all in the balcony :D

I have no problem punching some screaming lady in the back of the head. That sounds mean but all it does is mess up bootlegs and blow my ear drums out. I get into shows to.. believe me. At pj shows i go ape shit but the intimacy of the ed shows is something to be treasured and enjoyed respectively.
    I wish you had been there to punch her in the back of the head. lol
    I had to leave the show before the first encore because the whole place felt like it was closing in on me and the balcony was about to let us all slide off into the orchestra. :eek:
    Night one in DC was great though.
  • Options
    [yep ny1 was better than ny2

he got ticked called the audience an idiot then said he wasnt ging to play no more

i understand it must b tough for him

but how about ignoring them

or getting them kicked out

I'd kick everyone out :)

WOW!

just... WOW.
  • Options
    petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    well..at least we got to see him solo once people...nice job screamers...I hope you all are happy
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,886
    It seems that the fans at the 2nd night of all the shows are usually better than the first night.I know DC2 was way better than DC1, but just reading the Boston, NY, and Toronto fanviews, it looks like it always worked out that way. Strange.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I wish you had been there to punch her in the back of the head. lol
    I had to leave the show before the first encore because the whole place felt like it was closing in on me and the balcony was about to let us all slide off into the orchestra. :eek:
    Night one in DC was great though.

Oh bummer:( ure ticket cost so much too. Sorry to hear that. I too have had to leave shows early and its no fun at all. It has to be done sometimes unfortunately. Balconys are creepy right? I don't see how people sit up there. It freaks me out. Feels like if you stand up and make one wrong move your ass is gonna be down on the floor , not in the best of scenarios either ;)
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,085
    It's ridiculously dissapointing.

And unfortunately, I am afraid "10C" only shows would probably NOT be the solution we would hope it would be.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    nope ny1 was better than ny2

It seems that the fans at the 2nd night of all the shows are usually better than the first night.I know DC2 was way better than DC1, but just reading the Boston, NY, and Toronto fanviews, it looks like it always worked out that way. Strange.
  • Options
    DC1 was way better than 2, imo.

And yes, mandi...balconies are creepy. It's like sitting in the bleacher seats at a Yankees game, I would think. :eek:
    But I still had a great time prior to the balcony.
  • Options
    the guy is up there exposed, sharing something very personal and intimate and people have to be fucking idiots and just listen and experience what's going on. how the hell can one experience something when they are just shit blasted out of their mind. music doesn't sound better when your all fuck wasted on alcohol and drugs. that's just me. guess i'm an audio-purist who wants to feel it all as it is without any "help."

There's "had a few drinks" and then there's "shit faced drunk stupid asshole frat boys who should have just gone to the fucking Nickelback concert instead because they have their hats tilted off to the side a bit and are wearing those ugly goddamn "bling" jackets and fuck it pisses me off to read something like that....."

Sorry, had to get that out......
    I'll end up alone like I began...
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,696
    I think the whole purpose and intent of these shows was completely lost on some people.

You'd think that the West Coast tour would have served as a good reference point for what to expect on the East Coast dates.

It's a shame that the Milwaukee show was tainted by such aweful behaviour.

Toronto had it's share of idiots...but it sounds like things really got out of hand in Milwaukee.

The fact that this stuff is getting reported in the papers really makes us fans look like a bunch of Yobs.

I hate the fact that us true fans are getting generalized and lumped in with a couple of drunk turds who can't contain their "Man Love" for Eddie or handle their liquor.

It's fucking pathetic and it's really putting a damper on a truly special tour.
  • Options
    I m actually pretty shocked that solo ed brought out all the crazies and the loud mouths. I would imagine it would just be huge fans. I thought the 70 dollar tickets and the obviously mellow set list would keep all the drunken evenflow seekers at bay ..am i just underestimating the impact and power of flim?

Damn reading alot of comments from people who went to the show. Wow... I would have absolutely cried if ed got so mad that he threw his mic down and said he wasnt gonna play ... Id cry i tell you! This is also coming from someone who was uncomfortable just watching Nassau :D
  • Options
    One idiot made the Milwaukee show look like a joke. I've heard that at other show's people have been yelling out. It was just a handful that wouldn't stop, but the icing on the cake was the drunk guy who got thrown out.

I was wetting myself when I scored 4th row center for the show. The idiot was in row 5 and 2 seats over from me.

In fact. He was Row E Right Center Seats 1 & 2. Can we please revoke his membership for this embarrassment.

He was swearing, hitting the chairs in front of him while "rocking out". he sang so loud and wasn't even in tune or singing the lyric's right. People compained 4 times before the ushers came to throw him out. and that's when he put of the fight and had to be dragged out.

It almost ruined my night......but how can 4th row center really be ruined.

Seriously..........They need to revoke his membership. If it was his buddies membership, that guy was just as annoying. I would never let a friend act like that.

Bump!
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I didn't get to any solo shows but it sounds like this has happened more times than not this tour. So much for a release of a live show or 2. If Ed was that pissed I doubt he would go along with that.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,