ALMOST FAMOUS Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Gibson72Gibson72 Posts: 1,245
    One of the greatest "music" movies. The directors cut is better. Adds some new scenes which are good.
    I will be watching again this weekend as it's supposed to rain all weekend here.
    Gibson1972
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I *love* this movie....love Jason Lee in the movie too.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    Yeah, it's been awhile. Think I will watch it again this weekend as well. I love this movie too.
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Perfect Movie,i watched it recently and thought Patrick Fugit would have made a good Chris Mccandless.
  • GREAT MOVIE, as many said GREAT MUSIC. WIll watch it ever few months when bored or nothing on tV, Oh forgot that is evry night :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD9D6CoYh1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qn3tel9FWU

Best for Last!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NaMGL0B50cFunniest scene at 1:50 mark!
    11/5/91: Troy NY "I Just Want to SCREAM... HELLO!"
    8/4/92:Saratoga NY 4/6/94:Mass 9/13/98:CT
    8/27/2000:Saratoga NY,10/04/2000:Montreal,Canada
    04/29/03:Albany, 5/12/06:Albany NY,10/31/09:Philly,5/15/10Hartford CT

• Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Doesn't Billy Crudup look like Dicky Betts in the movie?
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Newch91 wrote:

I thought George Harrison
    DewieCox wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

I thought George Harrison
    Could be both.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Today I went to Best Buy and bought the Blu-Ray Bootleg Edition, watched it, and it made me fall in love with the movie even more. Love the extra 30 minutes that Cameron Crowe originally wanted!
  • tinkerbelltinkerbell New Zealand Posts: 2,161
    Great movie! I must watch it again.
    all you need is love, love is all you need
    tinkerbell wrote:
    Great movie! I must watch it again.
    I think today was my 20th time.
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD!!!

If I had a dollar for every time I said this I would be a golden god. I fucking love this scene. And this movie. Cameron Crowe is so good.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    I AM A GOLDEN GOD!!!

If I had a dollar for every time I said this I would be a golden god. I fucking love this scene. And this movie. Cameron Crowe is so good.
    Classic scene. That whole party scene and the Tiny Dancer scene are probably my favorite scenes of all-time. Thank you Cameron fucking Crowe!
  • I actually listen to the bonus Stillwater cd that came with mine. it's like a "real" cd! Awesome tunes on there!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • and back in my wife and my partying days, we'd get home after a party, blaze up and watch that movie. go to bed at 4am. either that one, or The Big Lebowski. Always one of those two.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Yes this is a great movie. I love when he drops the acid in KS, and ends up on the roof yelling " I'm a golden GOD!!" But the absolute CRAZIEST part for me.. is when the band comes to get him the next morning..The next time you watch this movie pay attention to the bus as it pulls from the curb.. Proudly displayed on the bus's bumper.. Is a Bumper Sticker which claims that : "Hemet is Heaven". Now this means nothing to most people, but having been raised around and IN Hemet California, It trips me out everytime!!! LOL
    Cool interview with Cameron's mom.

http://web.archive.org/web/200412111359 ... atoday.htm
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Newch91 wrote:

you should listen to the directors commentary on 'untitled'...alice is hilarious watching the movie
    norm wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:

you should listen to the directors commentary on 'untitled'...alice is hilarious watching the movie
    I bought the Blu-Ray "Untitled" edition yesterday and watched the movie. I might watch it with the commentary soon.
    This was always one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccvdDTqo95s
  • Crazy MarcusCrazy Marcus Posts: 1,823
    Newch91 wrote:
    Today I went to Best Buy and bought the Blu-Ray Bootleg Edition, watched it, and it made me fall in love with the movie even more. Love the extra 30 minutes that Cameron Crowe originally wanted!
    Just picked this up from Best Buy today as well. It makes me wonder why this was a Best Buy exclusive. I hadn't even heard it was available on Blu-ray and was really surprised when doing a search last night, I came across it. I haven't watched it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing the extra footage. ;)
    Newch91 wrote:
    Just picked this up from Best Buy today as well. It makes me wonder why this was a Best Buy exclusive. I hadn't even heard it was available on Blu-ray and was really surprised when doing a search last night, I came across it. I haven't watched it yet but I'm looking forward to seeing the extra footage. ;)
    Enjoy! I've watched the Blu-ray twice.

Enjoy the Stairway extra.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    never knew this:

Pearl Jam’s relationship with Crowe stretches back at least to “Almost Famous.” The scene where William (Crowe’s character) gets pulled into the band’s pre-show huddle was allegedly based on when Eddie Vedder pulled Crowe into Pearl Jam’s huddle before taking the stage at Lollapalooza
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • brother123brother123 Posts: 792
    where's senrock when you need her
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    never knew this:

Pearl Jam’s relationship with Crowe stretches back at least to “Almost Famous.” The scene where William (Crowe’s character) gets pulled into the band’s pre-show huddle was allegedly based on when Eddie Vedder pulled Crowe into Pearl Jam’s huddle before taking the stage at Lollapalooza

I always thought it was from the Allmans. I know the little song(Get on my back for a piggy back ride) they sing is.

Definitely goes back at least to Almost Famous. Cameron Crowe directed Singles.
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Did you check out this List Of The Day from Paste Magazine? I so agree with #1.

13 Great Musical Moments in Cameron Crowe Movies
    http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/list ... ovies.html
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    Kat wrote:

thanks kat!

between crowe and scorsese, their use of music is pretty much the history of rock and roll
    Kat wrote:

13 Great Musical Moments in Cameron Crowe Movies
    I agree also. Definitely an iconic scene.

Did Kat just reply to a thread of mine?? WINNING!
    never knew this:

It actually stretches back to the Mother Love Bone days. In "Say Anything", in the opening with Ione Skye going to her graduation, you see her smile. Cameron said she was smiling at Stone, who was a cab driver in the movie. We don't see him, though. Cameron also talks about him being at Andy's house when he died, when everyone was at Andy's. He also did the article of them for Rolling Stone back in '93.
    norm wrote:
    Kat wrote:

thanks kat!

between crowe and scorsese, their use of music is pretty much the history of rock and roll
    Agreed.