Options

ALMOST FAMOUS Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    Newch91 wrote:
    never knew this:

Pearl Jam’s relationship with Crowe stretches back at least to “Almost Famous.” The scene where William (Crowe’s character) gets pulled into the band’s pre-show huddle was allegedly based on when Eddie Vedder pulled Crowe into Pearl Jam’s huddle before taking the stage at Lollapalooza
    It actually stretches back to the Mother Love Bone days. In "Say Anything", in the opening with Ione Skye going to her graduation, you see her smile. Cameron said she was smiling at Stone, who was a cab driver in the movie. We don't see him, though. Cameron also talks about him being at Andy's house when he died, when everyone was at Andy's. He also did the article of them for Rolling Stone back in '93.

I'm gonna have to crack open my RS archive to find the article...and go to Best Buy to get the new/updated version of the movie.

Still can't watch 'My name is Earl' and not imagine Jason Lee screaming 'I am a golden god!'
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Still can't watch 'My name is Earl' and not imagine Jason Lee screaming 'I am a golden god!'

jason didn't scream that, russell hammond did (can't remember actors name)
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,341
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

billy crudup.......the tiny dancer scene immediately following that one is one of the greatest scenes in all of cinema :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

:oops: "I'm on drugs"
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY wrote:
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

:oops: "I'm on drugs"

490cbc53.jpg

thank jeags...brain is taking the day off
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    RKCNDY wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    never knew this:

Pearl Jam’s relationship with Crowe stretches back at least to “Almost Famous.” The scene where William (Crowe’s character) gets pulled into the band’s pre-show huddle was allegedly based on when Eddie Vedder pulled Crowe into Pearl Jam’s huddle before taking the stage at Lollapalooza
    It actually stretches back to the Mother Love Bone days. In "Say Anything", in the opening with Ione Skye going to her graduation, you see her smile. Cameron said she was smiling at Stone, who was a cab driver in the movie. We don't see him, though. Cameron also talks about him being at Andy's house when he died, when everyone was at Andy's. He also did the article of them for Rolling Stone back in '93.

I'm gonna have to crack open my RS archive to find the article...and go to Best Buy to get the new/updated version of the movie.

http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs668-pearl-jam/
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Cameron's on Twitter now! Looks like Patrick Fugit is in his new movie.

http://www.whosay.com/cameroncrowe/photos/25804
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    norm wrote:
    RKCNDY wrote:

billy crudup.......the tiny dancer scene immediately following that one is one of the greatest scenes in all of cinema :mrgreen:

I agree. Never thought much of that song when I was growing up. Seeing it in this movie, now it's probably my favorite EJ song.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • Options
    A Nancy score has been released!! :D You can download it, too. It's called, "Cabin In the Air", and I think it's from the airport scene when Penny leaves and William follows the plane in the airport until he reaches the end of the airport.

Enjoy.

You can download it from the link.

http://www.theuncool.com/2012/05/22/inq ... nilla-sky/

Welcome to another edition of Inquire Within… Through your submissions, Cameron will answer your questions in his own words.

Adam Labat.: Are either of Nancy Wilson’s scores for Almost Famous and Vanilla Sky ever going to be available in their entirety like it is for Elizabethtown? I really dig those cues and would love it if they were available for public consumption.

Cameron: We love getting this question. Nancy’s scores really complemented those movies, and the process of sculpting the cues was a joyful process. In the case of Vanilla Sky, thanks to Jeff Greenberg at The Village Recorder, Nancy was holed up for months turning out whole soundscapes… much ended up in the movie, and much did not. We have a busy release slate for this year but both of those film scores are never far from our minds and we hope to have them out very soon. In the meantime, you can listen to or download ”Cabin in the Air” from Almost Famous as a taste of things to come.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Very cool. Thanks for the info. 8-)
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    MissPennyLaneMissPennyLane Redondo Beach, CA Posts: 687
    fevaaaaa dog, scratchin at my back door....... :D
  • Options
    stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    Great film
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • Options
    This is my favorite scene/quote talking about what it means to be a fan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZJizD49bwM
  • Options
    uninnocent-uninnocent- Posts: 5,959
    How have I never seen this thread? Almost Famous (or rather Untitled, the Almost Famous bootleg cut), is my favourite movie.

I was on a plane the other day dead tired when I saw that the seatback TV had this on it. I put the film on and listened to the entire movie with my eyes closed. I pretty much dreamed the entire movie real-time.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    Easily my favorite movie of all time. This one never gets old.
  • Options
    Have you seen the "bootleg" version?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Of course. Had it on DVD and recently upgraded to the blu-ray version.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Of course. Had it on DVD and recently upgraded to the blu-ray version.
    Nice. I had the regular version on DVD and picked up the blu-ray last year. Love that version. The bonus features are also really cool.
  • Options
    Bump for being the best movie ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... C8NTuGYIKQ
  • Options
    on right now...

:corn:
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    on right now...

:corn: Channel?
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    on right now...

one of the cinemax's
  • Options
    norm wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    norm wrote:
    on right now...

one of the cinemax's
    Awesome. I'll have to watch it this weekend.
  • Options
    i love it because its essentially a love letter to music. And it just feels so real, all of it. Its just a magical movie. The feeling that music is hugely important and can alter your life is very present in the movie.
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    It's one of those movies you can't turn off when you find it on.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    It's one of those movies you can't turn off when you find it on.
    Well said. It's a timeless classic.
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,781
    This is my favorite movie of All time!!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    RobbyD462 wrote:
    This is my favorite movie of All time!!
    :thumbup:
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    Nice. I had the regular version on DVD and picked up the blu-ray last year. Love that version. The bonus features are also really cool.

Bonus features are great. The deleted scene with "Stairway to Heaven" is awesome. Wish they could have included that in the movie.
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    Newch91 wrote:

Bonus features are great. The deleted scene with "Stairway to Heaven" is awesome. Wish they could have included that in the movie.

I couldn't agree more....just the way he does the 'air drum solo' and watching his mom's face throughout... priceless!!!!!!!!!!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2