Options

Do Your Friends Mock Your Pearl Jam Love??

Comments

• Options
    jimbojones1138jimbojones1138 Posts: 3,640
    One time up at school my best friend was trying to tell some story... and when i didnt get the point he was trying to get acorss... he got all angry and screamed in my face "that you listen to too much pearl jam!"... like i was retarded or something for not understanding him...
    it's largely due to eddie that i liked to jump off of things as a child...
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Me and my dad are taking a trip to north carolina from NJ to see my sister and her husband and he asked me today "you gonna play enough pearl jam for me?" I just said waht are you talking about lol. Luckily he digs PJ and im taking him to see them in hartford this june.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    i stopped telling people what shows i am going to... they automatically assume its a Pearl Jam show... And they are right!!

it is a sickness, an insanity, but it is so well worth it... its healing to my soul!
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    funny story.. .my wife and i were in the car heading home from Atlantic City and she decided to shuffle the songs in my 80Gb iPod. i told her she should never do that... then she realized why...

of the 80Gb on it, there is about 60Gb of live Pearl Jam shows... she would hear the crowd cheering almost every song that started... she was asking if it was the same song... she learned her lesson... 12 PJ songs to 1 other song... and thats the way it should be...
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    All the time.
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    Well... no actually. I've learned not to be a freak about it when they are around... Because I know what would happen if I was!
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    Heh, yeah sometimes, mostly from my one friend who is also a Pearl Jam fan. All in good fun though. :)
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Lizardking wrote:
    Some of my friends kinda make fun of me because I have so much Pearl Jam items and do things because of Pearl Jam, Like Brad show's and Flight To Mars. Or going to Liamm Finn at Easystreet hoping Ed stop's by?

Do any of you kinda feel your friends get a chuckle out of you and Pearl Jam.

Yeah, people mock my love of Pearl jam all the time. I really don't care though. They all have favorite bands that I like and don't understand the obsession, so I look at it like a "to each his own" kind of thing.
    My friends support that pearl jam is my favorite band, and they will go to shows with me, they just aren't as hardcore into the band.

I was once told by a girl I dated for awhile, that I was beyond obsessed with pearl jam, so much so that she couldn't enjoy pearl jam or even like them. She was a huge Nirvana fan but I found it just bizarre that she would say I am beyond obsessed with Pearl jam's music. So I have like 10 posters, 10 shirts, like 50/60 boots, and I just got my EV solo shirt today :D). I do have a friend I work with that is a pearl jam fan and we like alot of the same music outside pj, so I have helped him expand his collection of music a bit.

On a side not to the original poster Lizard King, I think that is awesome that you live in Seattle, and are able to attend Flight to mars, and various other cool shows surrounding pj including the Gorge trips. I wish I lived in Seattle honestly. I actually mailed my resume' and a cover letter to the 10 club applying for a job (no joke) and I have done that with various Dallas bands I love too since Dallas and Seattle are the home of alot of my music collection. I have tried to get a music biz job, but have started to get discouraged. I just really would like to be involved in music somehow, but no I don't think your obsessed. you have met Master Mike McCready and that is awesome , those pics are bad ass.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Lizardking wrote:
    Some of my friends kinda make fun of me because I have so much Pearl Jam items and do things because of Pearl Jam, Like Brad show's and Flight To Mars. Or going to Liamm Finn at Easystreet hoping Ed stop's by?

We must have some of the same friends!
    There's alot to be said for Nowhere
  • Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    2 of my friends do. one is worse than the other. he's the guy that loves all '80's music. you know, he always goes out of his way to say how much he hates the band but then i hear him say how he likes different songs by the band.

i was at his wedding this weekend and when asked what name i would like to be introduced as while walking in the other friend says "eddie vedder, and then rolls his eyes".

and that's the guy whose favorite 'band' is weird al.

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    My friends in college would (and still do) say that if I had the chance I would steal rocks from Ed's driveway...
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    Aww man. I get it bad. Once people find out that I love pj soo much.. they natrually hate them and talk massive amounts of shit.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    The best part though... is when a song like dissident or corduroy comes on the radio and I see them tapping their feet and moving their head...I play dumb and say who is this?? They say I dont know but it rocks! Then I bust their balls big time.
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    haha ... people used to call them Toe Jam to piss me off... and ive gotten a dramatic evenflow sung in my face too many times...

then again people are completely retarded and deranged.
    ****FYI MALES****
    Bashing a girl's favorite band to "flirt" is very, very ineffective.
  • Options
    mjbmjb Posts: 1,314
    NYbenben wrote:
    funny story.. .my wife and i were in the car heading home from Atlantic City and she decided to shuffle the songs in my 80Gb iPod. i told her she should never do that... then she realized why...

of the 80Gb on it, there is about 60Gb of live Pearl Jam shows... she would hear the crowd cheering almost every song that started... she was asking if it was the same song... she learned her lesson... 12 PJ songs to 1 other song... and thats the way it should be...

Anyone else have so many shows on their iPods they find themselves hitting 2 or 3 encore breaks in a row...ha...good times.
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    ive given up trying to make people understand my obsession ... and theyve given up trying to understand it too - they realise how much money i spend on it, they know how much time ill need off work when they come over here, they know what to buy me for a present ... they think im mental ...

strangely - ive actually loved this band longer than ive loved anything else in my life - its a bit like a sucessful marriage i guess :)
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,572
    Lizardking wrote:

driving around in my car with a few friends some weeks back, "Even Flow" came on the radio and the friend sitting in the passanger seat turns back to the friends sitting in the back seat and says "this is little band you may not have heard of, they're called Pearl Jam!" - i don't know why but i just got a big chuckle out of it, it was a psuedo-mock in my eyes (maybe you had to be there to hear his tone lol) ;)
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642
    Lizardking wrote:

yep...fuck 'em
  • Options
    Lizardking wrote:

lol! absolutely I'm addicted I talk about pearl jam all the time :D
    "You're the eve of my destruction in the garden of fears"
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,508

then again people are completely retarded and deranged.
    ****FYI MALES****
    Bashing a girl's favorite band to "flirt" is very, very ineffective.

:) gah men are stupid.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    TinyFistsTinyFists Posts: 142
    Most of them don’t know the extent of it because I keep it to myself. They wouldn’t get it. The only one who does know teases me a lot but I don’t mind - it makes me laugh and also he was at their first ever UK gig (when I was 12 and he was 22), so in a way I feel like he has the right!
    Try to tell me that you love me, throw your little punches at me...
  • Options
    sarah vesarah ve Posts: 43
    I get so emotional about Pearl jam I make myself a super easy target... I always get teased about it. I remember when I was watching I love the 90's years ago and that guy from South Park made fun of Eddie vedder that was when it got even worse!! No one ever left me alone after that point they were always trying to copy him copy Eddie Vedder lol
    See you at the beach!! 6/17

~Those who believe absurdities will commit atrocities~
    -Voltaire
  • Options
    ogre1213ogre1213 Posts: 391
    Every chance they get. They love to sing Evenflow around me with mumbled lyrics.

haha me too!! and life wasted and corduroy
    Some die just to live
  • Options
    friends, co workers, husband, family...the only ones who get me are my kids!!!!...
    The Waiting Drove Me Mad Your Finally Here And Im A Mess....
  • Options
    yakko69yakko69 Posts: 131
    I have been getting crap from friends for years. I heard it soooo bad when I got my license plate with my new car. PJ*PORCH

People always ask me what it means....but assume it has something to do with Port Jefferson, the town I live in. I then explain pearl jam...and they shake their heads. Does it bother me? NOPE!
    ...44 shows...and counting....
  • Options
    leiniebockleiniebock Posts: 15
    Yeah, most of my old friends dropped off around No Code, I can't believe they missed out on Yield. My new friends are primarily into Indie Rock, which I primarily am now too. But my love will never fade. The friend that is into Springsteen gets it. The others, well, they still admire the live shows, fan club, and fight against the man aspects of the band. It is all cool.

I'm so looking forward to MSG! I'm bringing the Springsteen fan. He's been doing his homework, (dropped off at No Code, go figure)
    1998-06-23 Denver
    2000-10-21 Phoenix
    2003-04-01 Denver
    2006-06-01 E Rutherford
    2006-06-03 E Rutherford
    2008-06-24 NYC-MSG
    2008-06-25 NYC-MSG
    2008-07-01 NYC-Beacon
    2008-08-05 NYC-United Palace NYC (EV)
    2008-08-07 Newark (EV)
  • Options
    The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    Yeah, I mean it is definitely kind of gay..I admit it..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • Options
    try being in high school and being obsessed with the band at the same time.............some rough times man
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    cbbjrcbbjr Posts: 232
    I like it in the middle of a tour when someone will ask "but didn't you just see them?" when I say I am going to another show, as though PJ is like their favorite (shitty) band that when you have seen one show, you have seen them all.

One friend is particularly harsh. He actually likes the radio songs, he just doesn't realize it is them. The other day Hunger Strike comes on the radio and he thought it was Hootie and Blowfish. Unfortunately I'm not making that up. I probably should look into new friends.
    98-KC; 00-Indianapolis, StL, KC; 03-KC, DC; 04-DC; 06-Camden2, DC, Pittsburgh; 08-DC; 09-Chicago1, Spectrum3; 10-DC; 13-Baltimote; 16-Chicago1; 18-Seattle2; 22-NY
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Yes they do, and I mock it myself.
    NERDS!