Options

Have you noticed Pearl Jam is now a LLC?

3inputchick3inputchick Posts: 845
edited August 2008 in The Porch
No longer a band, they are now a company. Sell outs!

The band offically jumped the shark!
A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    only took them 18 years!

maybe someday my kids will walk around with pearl jam backpacks and water bottles instead of hannah montana and camp rock crap.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    only took them 18 years!

maybe someday my kids will walk around with pearl jam backpacks and water bottles instead of hannah montana and camp rock crap.
    lets hope!
    I would totally tote the PJ lunch box!
    A pessimist is a man who thinks all women are bad. An optimist is one who hopes they are.
  • Options
    It would be nice to finally trade my New Kids On The Block pillow case for a new band!
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    It would be nice to finally trade my New Kids On The Block pillow case for a new band!

dude. don't even know where to go with that.

so what are the bennies of incorporating the band? school me.
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
    it's not the end of the world...it's just a tool to manage the organization. Despite pj's efforts to keep it real/small/be in-touch with the day to day of the music biz, they inevitably have become more successful and the business despite the diy ethic has become more complex etc...don't beat them up for the LLC tag.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    TrixieTrixie Posts: 179

Sorry, but I'm afraid you are mistaken. I'm sure they were "incorporated" long before now (like as soon as they started making money!). LLC stands for limited liability corporation. Basically, it just protects the band members as individuals from lawsuits (i.e. if a company defaults on a loan for example, the individual employees could not be sued but rather the company as a whole would be sued and therefore are better protected in terms of insurance coverage). It's got nothing to do with "selling out".
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure this has probably been the case since close to the beginning. If a band is as big as they are, there is probably an endless slew of legal implications for everything from tickets and merchandise to copyrights that would necessitate incorporating the band.

It hasn't influenced the music they have made yet (unless you consider that it has made them produce music that is even MORE heartfelt and less commercial) and I don't expect it will in the future.

Just my two cents...
    DP
  • Options
    Trixie wrote:
    Sorry, but I'm afraid you are mistaken. I'm sure they were "incorporated" long before now (like as soon as they started making money!). LLC stands for limited liability corporation. Basically, it just protects the band members as individuals from lawsuits (i.e. if a company defaults on a loan for example, the individual employees could not be sued but rather the company as a whole would be sued and therefore are better protected in terms of insurance coverage). It's got nothing to do with "selling out".

Correct... Pearl Jam has always been an LLC.
  • Options
    MisterEMisterE Posts: 13
    Who did you think was paying the crew?
  • Options
    Trixie wrote:
    This is correct and concise description of how an LLC basically functions. To claim they sold out because they've taken practical, common steps to limit their own personal liability is not only reactionary, but ignorant too.
    member number: 198,xxx
  • Options
    Trixie wrote:

bingo. irregardless of what legal entity the band was operating under - whether it be a partnership, LLC, LLP, etc, these not only potentially provide means for liability protection but also serve primarily as a vehicle to pay expenses for the band and to pay the band themselves. this was done from the beginning. i think it would be very interesting see exactly how a "big" band does this. and what happens when a members of the band are added/dropped. irregardless of how a band decides to pay its members (i.e. equal distribution of profits), there still has to be ownership of the business entity. anyone with experience shed some light on this?
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,186
    only took them 18 years!

that's hilarious!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    TaftTaft Posts: 453
    midland46 wrote:
    bingo. irregardless of what legal entity the band was operating under - whether it be a partnership, LLC, LLP, etc, these not only potentially provide means for liability protection but also serve primarily as a vehicle to pay expenses for the band and to pay the band themselves. this was done from the beginning. i think it would be very interesting see exactly how a "big" band does this. and what happens when a members of the band are added/dropped. irregardless of how a band decides to pay its members (i.e. equal distribution of profits), there still has to be ownership of the business entity. anyone with experience shed some light on this?

Agreed, that would be interesting, I expect it would be like any business. Pay your dues, if you are a new member.

It depends on the situation, in Pearl Jam, I would expect that Matt Cameron was originally an "employee", but he was eventually given a profit sharing/ownership position. Boom is definitely an employee.

A band like the Who, the replacement members at drums and bass are certainly employees.

In a band like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Dave Navarro was a big enough name at the time, that he likely negotiated to have a profit sharing of One Hot Minute and the tour surrounding it, but did not get to enjoy royalties of past songs or the RHCP brand name.
  • Options
    Red LukinRed Lukin Canada Posts: 2,994
    How is protecting yourself have to do with selling out?

If PJ wanted to sell out we wouldn't have got the wicked setlist at Bonnaroo, and Ed certaining wouldn't be bashing Bush at the shows - cause we all knows by doing this they are losing some fans.

Also if they were sell outs why is Ed playing such small shows?
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102

This might be the most ignorant thing I have ever heard on this board. Do even know what an LLC is? Do you know what seperates an LLC from a traditional partnership or corporation? You probably have no clue. You just see LLC and get all offended. If I was the band's business advisor, I would have them set up an LLC as well. It is a smart business decision. This is their career. This is how they make a living.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    This happened back in 91 or 92 and is COMMON business practice....Is this REALLY a topic of discussion? What the F happened to this board, serioulsy?
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    I noticed that Ten Club was an LLC many years ago.

What's the big fuss?

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    CityMouseCityMouse Posts: 1,010
    they've been a company for long long time my dear.

any band that makes any amount of money is company. Non profits are "companies."
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,283
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    This might be the most ignorant thing I have ever heard on this board. Do even know what an LLC is? Do you know what seperates an LLC from a traditional partnership or corporation? You probably have no clue. You just see LLC and get all offended. If I was the band's business advisor, I would have them set up an LLC as well. It is a smart business decision. This is their career. This is how they make a living.

Sounds like she might not be all that serious....Ignorant seems little too strong of a word
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    They should just take the tickets themselves and collect cash as people enter through the doors. There is no need in this economy to play by the regulations and rules. All it would take is one accountant and MAYBE an attorney in case some saladface assholes complained on their message pit about not getting their tickets when they went on sale.....but we all know that would never happen because Pearl Jam fans are so smart and understand Corporate law and how it really isnt necessary for people making money from the music industry...... F'N Sellouts........drop the LLC and go back to a Ma and Pop way of making money: cash in hand with nobody reaching in your pockets.....the safe way.

Whoever started this thread is the official Pearl Jam Message Pit 'Spaghetti Necked, Donkey Breathed, Saladshooter'
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    wow for the first time it appears not everyone is thrilled with 3inputchick! :eek: AMAZING!!!!!
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    SDHSClassof82SDHSClassof82 Seattle Posts: 306
    “Wind in my hair, I feel part of everywhere...
    Late at night I hear the trees, they're singing with the dead...overhead...”
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    this thread = 3inputchick being funny.

that is all.
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Pearl Jam sellouts?

See http://www.chriscornell.com/
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    It's all Stone's fault!!
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    ECMECM Posts: 1,687
    this thread = 3inputchick being funny.

that is all.
    :)

he failed to use a "smiley" after his post....
    wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    bigbadbill wrote:
    It's all Stone's fault!!
    I was so WAITING for that!

You think Stone is pissed at Ed for starting this in the first place? or does he just laugh about it?
    Here’s a question you might need to ask
    What’s self destruction and how can we last?

"I cannot stop the thought of running in the dark.
    Coming up a which way sign. All good truants must decide."

McCain, America's scariest grandpa!
  • Options
    Trixie wrote:
    shark jumpers!
  • Options
    I love getting you and the rest of your crew all worked up...

Next topic-
    I think Bush is a great president, and we should keep bombing the middle east till they are all dead.

I think the Montauk Monster is adorable

And the chinks should not be having the Olympics-

HA!

See you at Thurs. show!

Oh yeah, and Happy Birthday Jerry Garcia- RIP buddy!

Tackalac wrote:
    They should just take the tickets themselves and collect cash as people enter through the doors. There is no need in this economy to play by the regulations and rules. All it would take is one accountant and MAYBE an attorney in case some saladface assholes complained on their message pit about not getting their tickets when they went on sale.....but we all know that would never happen because Pearl Jam fans are so smart and understand Corporate law and how it really isnt necessary for people making money from the music industry...... F'N Sellouts........drop the LLC and go back to a Ma and Pop way of making money: cash in hand with nobody reaching in your pockets.....the safe way.

Whoever started this thread is the official Pearl Jam Message Pit 'Spaghetti Necked, Donkey Breathed, Saladshooter'
  • Options
    CupofjoeCupofjoe Posts: 557
    People who call bands sellouts are the jealous green eyed monsters!