Options

I think "Come Back" may have joined my top 10

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    I want to apologize to the person I called stupid last night. After a few (14) beers I said something I absolutely and whole-heartedly meant, and still do, but should have been circumspect enough not to post publicly.

So I'm sorry
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    mca47 wrote:
    C'mon "all been done before"? If you're using that argument you really need to look at most of PJ's songs because they too have pretty much "all been done before"...
    And that's not a knock against them, but just a silly argument.
    Do you like any of their slow songs?

I love all of their slow songs less Come Back.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    I want to apologize to the person I called stupid last night. After a few (14) beers I said something I absolutely and whole-heartedly meant, and still do, but should have been circumspect enough not to post publicly.

So I'm sorry

Hahaha. No apology necessary. Sometimes you just can't account for taste.

14 beers is a good start to the day. I watched the sun come up at the lake this morning with my Scotch in hand listening to the EV Berkeley boot. It was a cool night too -- very clear with several shooting stars.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Great song and fun as hell to sing. The version on that Italian DVD is flat out stunning.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    It's a great song but like most of them on Self Titled, Vedder sounds so sloppy and almost butchers it.
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    Great song. Was awesome at Mansfield. Wasnt expecting it either. Very pleasant suprise
  • Options
    Brainof23Brainof23 Posts: 10
    I enjoy Come Back very much. I remember when the album first came out I was subbing at an all girls catholic high school and I was listening to the album and reading liner notes while the girls worked. I read them the lyrics to the song and played it for them and like 5 or 6 of them loved it and went and bought the album. It was a pretty cool thing. It was cool to see some of them discover music beyond Jessica Simpsion.

Anyway, I always like to think about lists and rankings and have always tried to come up with different ways to do it. When I first listened to Pearl Jam (album) I thought wow this is a great record, but it doesnt have a top 10 song on it. Come Back is closest. At the Washington show, I walked out thinking, wow they just played 4 of my top 5 in one night (sad, black, i got id, light years) and then I thought wait are those actually in my top 5? Ha. IT always changes. Here is my top 10 as of now...

10. Oceans
    9. Last Exit
    8. In Hiding
    7. Nothingman
    6. Release
    5. I got ID
    4. Footsteps
    3. Light Years
    2. Sad
    1. Black (this never changes)
    let the ocean...
  • Options
    finnanniefinnannie Posts: 1,186
    One of my ultimate PJ favorites. :)

I was so excited when they played it at Mansfield 1... :D it was beautiful.
    Won't let the light escape from me.
    Won't let the darkness swallow me.
  • Options
    EvenstevenEvensteven Posts: 868
    One of my favorites after 1st listen. Also thinking its about Eddie and Johnny Ramone's relationship makes it special. I love Mike and Ed collaborations.
    "Mark it 20, Dude."
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Wow, I'm surprised at how many negative opinions there are of the song...I like to think I'm a fairly discriminating listener, but I just don't understand how anyone couldn't at least like it...that's interesting, I guess it just goes to show ya...
  • Options
    Wow, I'm surprised at how many negative opinions there are of the song...I like to think I'm a fairly discriminating listener, but I just don't understand how anyone couldn't at least like it...that's interesting, I guess it just goes to show ya...

I'm just as shocked to see that so many people enjoy it. Like you said, it just goes to show ya ...
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    muppet wrote:
    It's a great song but like most of them on Self Titled, Vedder sounds so sloppy and almost butchers it.

you must be high. Or deaf. Or both.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    Songburst wrote:
    I'm just as shocked to see that so many people enjoy it. Like you said, it just goes to show ya ...

It's got great lyrics and ed's vocal delivery, coupled with McCready's lead work at the end, is absolutely stunning.

"I-eye-I, I'll be heeeere" .... If that doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, you must have no soul. Ed's just ripping his guts out on this song.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Songburst wrote:

Stunned. Stunned, I tell ya. One of the best things they've done in 17 years as a band and it'll go down as unappreciated genius.
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    get the version from Berlin 2006- that is how the song should be played every night. I love the song but the solo gets screwed up far too often live
  • Options
    TDMize15TDMize15 Posts: 166
    So emotional, such great lyrics. Always loved the song. Definitely one of my favorites.
    All the rusted signs, we ignore throughout our lives, choosing the shiny ones instead...

And he who forgets, will be destined to remember...
  • Options
    check version from DC 06
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    It's got great lyrics and ed's vocal delivery, coupled with McCready's lead work at the end, is absolutely stunning.

"I-eye-I, I'll be heeeere" .... If that doesn't make the hair on the back of your neck stand up, you must have no soul. Ed's just ripping his guts out on this song.

Yeesh. I think it's the lyrics that bug me more than anything. To me the words come across as pandering. It almost sounds like it was a song that was written explicitly for radio (which is obviously not the case since it wasn't released as a single). Again, it's just my opinion and it means absolutely nothing.