Options

I think "Come Back" may have joined my top 10

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited July 2008 in The Porch
I seriously love this tune. I have probably listened to it more than any other from the PJ album. I think it's one of the best they've ever done. It's great.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Yep, one of my favs too! Great tune!
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Agreed. Its got this great country, soulful kinda vibe going on.
  • Options
    The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    Comeback joined my top ten prolly 6 months ago.
    Just so much raw emotion.. Only Ed could make that song come alive the way it does..
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington
  • Options
    Spot In The SkySpot In The Sky Posts: 1,175
    Top 10 on the new(est) album you mean?

I kid I kid, it is a great song. First song I fell in love with on that album. I love getting to hear it live especially.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    I seriously love this tune. I have probably listened to it more than any other from the PJ album. I think it's one of the best they've ever done. It's great.
    I fucking love that song. Thank God they played it last night because I was going to bring a sign on Mon. that said "Come Back". That song and "Black" are way up there for me and they played both. It doesn't get any better.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    It's a great addition to the untapped market of cheese ballads of the 80s. Come Back is up there with the greats like "I'll Be There For You", "Don't Know what You got ('till it's gone)", "Love Bites", etc.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    Agreed. Its got this great country, soulful kinda vibe going on.

1. country is exactly the reason I did not play it when I played the cd. would skip it.

2. soulful (ed) is why I loved it after witnessing it at DC last sunday :D
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • Options
    JzacurJzacur Posts: 64
    Did not really dig it when I got the album. However after I heard it from the Pistoia show, wow. It really is a great live song, almost 10x better than the studio verision.
    9/28/05 PNC Park Pittsburgh- 6/23/06 Mellon Arena Pittsburgh- 8/02/07 The Vic- 8/05/07- Lollapalooza 6/22/08 DC
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    It's a great addition to the untapped market of cheese ballads of the 80s. Come Back is up there with the greats like "I'll Be There For You", "Don't Know what You got ('till it's gone)", "Love Bites", etc.

I know, really. Top 10? More like bottom 10.
  • Options
    tmud91087tmud91087 Posts: 97
    After watching this live in Mansfield Saturday i finally realize how beautiful this song is. Laced with emotion and its just a great great song.
    5/24/06 - Boston
    5/25/06 - Boston
    6/28/08 - Mansfield
    6/30/08 - Mansfield
    8/2/08 - Eddie in Boston (FRONT ROW!)
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757
    There are days when I think it is definitely my favorite Avocado song.

I kind of believe anyone who doesn't like it has no soul. It's heart-wrenching.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    Ghost Of K.Ghost Of K. Posts: 170
    Songburst wrote:
    No, sorry you're not feeling well, but it's nothing at all like those, really. Def Leppard never came so close to lyrical poetry. Much more of an Otis Redding type thing and how on Earth can you insult that?
    Good evening San Diego, I'm Ron Burgundy
    And I'm Veronica Corningstone, Tits McGee is off tonight...
  • Options
    No, sorry you're not feeling well, but it's nothing at all like those, really. Def Leppard never came so close to lyrical poetry. Much more of an Otis Redding type thing and how on Earth can you insult that?

Yeah, the first time I heard it I thought it had an Otis Redding vibe to it too.

The comparison to 80's cheese-rock couldn't be more inaccurate. Thy lyrics, guitar work, the bass and drumlines are simple but amazing on this song.
  • Options
    slightofjeffslightofjeff Posts: 7,757

Otis Redding is definitely a good comparison. Hadn't really thought of it before, but I think you're right.

I think a lot of people don't like songs you can't headbang to, which is fine. I, for one, love a good, slow gut-wrenching ballad.

When 'Cready's solo kicks in at the end, and ed starts wailing "I'll be heeeere!" -- if you can't get into that, you just don't like music.
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options

When 'Cready's solo kicks in at the end, and ed starts wailing "I'll be heeeere!" -- if you can't get into that, you just don't like music.

Agree 100%
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    otis redding vibe....hadn't thought of it that way....cool :)
  • Options
    HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    Canadiens don't know shit about music, but thanks for Rush and the Hip.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • Options
    hi mom
  • Options
    Says the man from the country that can't get enough L'il Wayne. I love PJ's slower numbers but Come Back is pure shit.
  • Options
    rebornFixerrebornFixer Posts: 4,917
    Songburst wrote:
    Says the man from the country that can't get enough L'il Wayne. I love PJ's slower numbers but Come Back is pure shit.

LOL at the L'il Wayne comment, but Come Back is awesome.
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    not in my top 10 but definitely a beautiful piece of raw emotion.
    would love to hear it live!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    LOL at the L'il Wayne comment, but Come Back is awesome.
    I must be completely insane. It is the only song by PJ that makes me angry when I hear it. I've heard it live, studio, karaoke, covered and it sucked every time.
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    I must be completely insane. It is the only song by PJ that makes me angry when I hear it. I've heard it live, studio, karaoke, covered and it sucked every time.
    I've thought about this reply long and hard. Consequences be damned. You are stupid. You, and all those like you, astound me constantly, make me worry about tomorrow. I know your particular genetic handicap (stupidity) is being bred with a lot of success, but I hope they never find a way to make it air-borne. If they ever do, goodbye human race. Damn.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,717
    its in my top 5 easy
  • Options
    Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,563
    The song joined my 'PJ top 10 slow songs' after seing it on the new dvd! Before that i didn't care much about it.

Great song!
    I will swallow poison
  • Options
    kh65kh65 Posts: 946
    There are days when I think it is definitely my favorite Avocado song.

I kind of believe anyone who doesn't like it has no soul. It's heart-wrenching.

I couldn't agree more. This is my favorite song off of that album, too.
    "If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room."

Gambling=a taxation on stupidity.

Remember, you can walk anywhere, as long as you have the time.

http://www.ryanmontbleauband.com/

http://www.myspace.com/jessedee
  • Options
    I've thought about this reply long and hard. Consequences be damned. You are stupid. You, and all those like you, astound me constantly, make me worry about tomorrow. I know your particular genetic handicap (stupidity) is being bred with a lot of success, but I hope they never find a way to make it air-borne. If they ever do, goodbye human race. Damn.

Hahaha. It's stupid to not like a grade school slow dance song that has been done a billion times before? The song is terrible.

Eddie was singing "Come Baaa aa aaa aaa ck" at the end of Light Years at the Thunder Bay '05 show and I told my buddy that if Eddie Vedder writes a song that uses that "Come Baaa aa aaa aaa ck" part that we heard, I would slap him in the face. Idle threats for sure, but to say that I was disappointed to hear the song on the album is an understatement.

Good on anyone who likes it though.
  • Options
    Songburst wrote:
    Hahaha. It's stupid to not like a grade school slow dance song that has been done a billion times before? The song is terrible.

Eddie was singing "Come Baaa aa aaa aaa ck" at the end of Light Years at the Thunder Bay '05 show and I told my buddy that if Eddie Vedder writes a song that uses that "Come Baaa aa aaa aaa ck" part that we heard, I would slap him in the face. Idle threats for sure, but to say that I was disappointed to hear the song on the album is an understatement.

Good on anyone who likes it though.

C'mon "all been done before"? If you're using that argument you really need to look at most of PJ's songs because they too have pretty much "all been done before"...
    And that's not a knock against them, but just a silly argument.
    Do you like any of their slow songs?
  • Options
    zootownzootown Posts: 666
    Jzacur wrote:
    Did not really dig it when I got the album. However after I heard it from the Pistoia show, wow. It really is a great live song, almost 10x better than the studio verision.

My thoughts exactly. Was not into at all on the album, but live, it is so beautiful, it brought tears to my eyes like only certain songs can...like Release, Black and even Small town on a good night....Eddie can sing it with such conviction, he truly expresses his grief in a such a crystal clear way, I cant help feeling it.
    I hold the pain, release me!
  • Options

Yeah I definitely got the Otis Redding feel from it. Right around the time this album came out I was in a huge motown/R&B phase and I couldn't help but compare the song to Otis's "These Arms of Mine." Ed has mentioned his roots in older R&B like how he was a huge Jackson 5 fan as a kid. I've always wanted Pearl Jam to exploit these influences a little more and in "Come Back" they did just that.